Okami's HD Makeover Is Just Around the Corner

JoshV

Mar 20, 2009
Okami's HD Makeover Is Just Around the Corner

The Move-compatible re-release of Okami hits PS3s this October.

Yesterday, accompanied by a new trailer, Capcom announced that the high-definition remake of the late Clover Studio's well-received Okami would be released as a digital download in the US on October 30th, at a $19.99. Okami HD will be PS3 exclusive, with support for Move and resolutions up to 1080p.

new trailer [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/117984-Rumor-Okami-HD-Re-Release-Imminent] at Gamescom in August. The conversion is being handled by HexaDrive, the same studio that handled a similar HD remastering of Rez.

[gallery=905]

Okami was very well received critically, often praised for its unique and visually stimulating art style and clever gameplay. Sadly, in a fate that has befallen more than one critically-acclaimed gem, Okami was a commercial failure, selling a mere 280,000 copies in the US and Europe. Nevertheless, it has garnered a substantial cult following in the years since its release. Perhaps this will be the year that Okami becomes the smash hit that critics say it should have been?

Source: Eurogamer [http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2012-09-20-okami-hd-slated-for-halloween-release]

NightHawk21

Dec 8, 2010
Good news. I didn't get to play it when it first came out. Probably pick this up.

Also inb4 Daystar :)

Meight08

*Insert Funny Title*
Feb 16, 2011
inb4 daystar masturbating over these pictures.
Ot: meh i don't see why people keep going on about game, It looks kind of boring actually.

sb666

Fake Best
Apr 5, 2010
Country
Australia
I love it how Daystar has become the face of Okami for The Escapist.

Meight08

*Insert Funny Title*
Feb 16, 2011
Porecomesis said:
rolfwesselius said:
Ot: meh i don't see why people keep drooling over this game, It looks kind of boring actually.
How so?
I don't know why but when i look at the gameplay and story it sure sounds original though but the reaction i get when looking at the gameplay doesn't seem proportionate to the amount of praise it receives.
Maybe i just don't 'get it'

Chimpzy_v1legacy

Warning! Contains bananas!
Jun 21, 2009
I already have the game on PS2, but I know I'm going to cave eventually, so I might as well admit it:

Meight08

*Insert Funny Title*
Feb 16, 2011
Capitano Segnaposto said:
rolfwesselius said:
Porecomesis said:
rolfwesselius said:
Ot: meh i don't see why people keep drooling over this game, It looks kind of boring actually.
How so?
I don't know why but when i look at the gameplay and story it sure sounds original though but the reaction i get when looking at the gameplay doesn't seem proportionate to the amount of praise it receives.
Maybe i just don't 'get it'
Well, sometimes gameplay isn't everything. Sometimes it is just the journey through the game itself that allows it to receive praise. Look at Kingdom Hearts 358/2, amazing story, shitty gameplay.
I know i am a bit pessimistic about things like these but i might play it anyway if i can find a copy, Hell i never watched FIM untill the 5th episode of season 2 because i was too arrogant to look past the outside, and now i have ponycountdown as my default web page.
Fuck it i'm gonna get me a copy.

Rip Van Rabbit

~ UNLIMITED RULEBOOK ~
Apr 17, 2012
I've been so focused on news for Borderlands 2 that this flew completely over my head. Not that I have a console, but now I'm off to give my friend some pleasant news.

Thanks Escapist, for indirectly enriching the live's of others with your news. :D

inb4 Daystar froths at the mouth

Quiotu

Mar 7, 2008
rolfwesselius said:
I know i am a bit pessimistic about things like these but i might play it anyway if i can find a copy, Hell i never watched FIM untill the 5th episode of season 2 because i was too arrogant to look past the outside, and now i have ponycountdown as my default web page.
Fuck it i'm gonna get me a copy.
Hey, maybe you'll get lucky and they'll throw out a demo of the game so you can try it out first.

People need to remember that this game is 6 years old. You wanna know what makes the game good? It has a unique art style, it riffs on pretty much the entirety of Japanese mythology, the soundtrack is stunning, and it's a rare game that (like everything Clover and Platinum has done) doesn't take itself that seriously.

The gameplay isn't groundbreaking, it's basically Wind Waker with stylus controls, but the art and story and music is what makes it timeless. If you watch this game and don't find it entertaining, then it may not be your thing. And that's fine, you don't HAVE to like it.

Quiotu

Mar 7, 2008
Sober Thal said:
This is a game you 'need' the silly motion controls for? Or is it good using a regular, boring, simple, old fashioned controller?
The controls are certainly a bit more streamlined, and it's faster to draw with the motion controls, but it works just fine without them too. No worries.

Seotinach

Jun 7, 2010
It's an awesome game, so hopefully this somehow magically obtains it some more wide-span attention, but... HD Okami? Out of all the things to make HD, Okami is one of those games that needs it the least. With the way the art is, the difference between HD and standard will be relatively negligible.

Seotinach

Jun 7, 2010
Sober Thal said:
I'm curious, do you notice a difference in cartoons/anime between standard and high definitions?
It tends to depend on how stylized they are. The sharper and crisper the visuals are in standard, the more noticeable it tends to be in higher definition. However, with the painterly style of Okami, the only portion of it that I can really see as more defined are the outlining of the objects, which really doesn't do much for the over-all impression. It's a beautiful looking game, but from the trailer, I just can't see any real difference between it and the game as it is already.

That being said, I can't see a real difference in FPS past 80 or so, and some can tell the difference in the frame-rates beyond 120. So... who knows. Perhaps I'm just not the standard audience for HD upgrades. I always tended to see HD reboots more useful in things like the recent Counter-strike game, which was essentially a graphics upgrade once you got down to it, for a game that had started to really show it's age.