Okay, a question to you all regarding July 4th

RatRace123

Elite Member
Dec 1, 2009
Don't take Youtube comments seriously. Like, completely disregard everything you read on there, because more often than not it's just gonna be some asshole trotting out their uneducated opinions as fact.

NiPah

May 8, 2009
GGNORE Brits 9 pool rush FTW.
U angry bro? LRN D, Ling rushed the shit out of yo workers and sent U back 2 Aiur, pubbies FTL.

In all honesty what you read on Youtube was a joke, since explaining the full history of the Revolutionary war does not fit in a typical joke format it was skipped. I'm sorry if your jimmies get rustled every time someone tells a joke that does not divulge the entire truth of a given situation, I'll make sure to include the fact that someone's mother has a glandular problem next time I tell a yo mama so fat joke.

Fluffythepoo

Sep 29, 2011
The only accurate recount of the american revolution is assassin's creed 3 and its not out yet so i dont see where these people are getting their facts.

Though as i recall a few years later in 1812 america got shit kicked by the british who couldnt even be bothered to show up to kick america's ass in person, as they were busy kicking france's ass.. so they got canada to do it.. yah not only did they not have time to come and win the war themselves, but they let the canadians handle it cause it wasnt like they were fighting a real nation

edit: tho the above might be a tad historically inaccurate.. but just a tad

Rottweiler

Jan 20, 2008
Does it surprise anyone here that Patriotism is incredibly simplified, propagandized 'history'? Or that it happens in the USA?

There's plenty of people *all over the world* who respond to every holiday with slogans and stupidity. Literally billions of them.

I could quite honestly pick a random media picture of 'rioting' anywhere in the world and point to people with a completely half-assed and biased idea of 'history'. Insert 'down with [country]' here.

The major difference *I* see is that people don't give in-depth scrutiny and mockery like they do, for example, when the target is the US.

No one sane argues that there are plenty of idiots and blind patriots in the US.

What I would like to see is the same kind of focus on- and lack of excuses allowed for- the exact kind of idiocy and blind patriotism on the *hundreds* of places on Earth that *aren't* the USA.

Trust me it won't be difficult to find evidence of...

Vigormortis

Nov 21, 2007
DanielBrown said:
Americans being ignorant? On the internet?!!
Swedes stereotyping an entire group of people? On the internet?!!

Oh the irony of the irony!!

[sub]Kidding, of course.[/sub]

But in all seriousness to the OP: You're giving WAAAAY too much credence and attention to a small group of dick-weeds commenting on Youtube. Maybe you should ask yourself why you're getting so riled up about it instead of why those commenters are idiots.

JimB

Apr 1, 2012
Griffolion said:
Correct me if my research has led me wrong, but the French played a very strong role in helping the (what was then) rebellious British people win their independence to become America, and thus Americans.
I honest to God don't think any of my public school teachers ever mentioned the role the French played in the American Revolution. I think I was in my twenties before I ever knew anything more than "Minutemen, George Washington crossing a river and everyone was cold, hooray! Freedom!"

manaman

Sep 2, 2007
God of Path said:
Patriotism is the belief your country is superior to all other countries because you were born in it.
But mine is, because I was born in it.

It was nothing before me, nothing I tells ya.

ThePS1Fan

Dec 22, 2011
I wouldn't let it get to you. These are YouTube comments after all.

My blood is the type that carries oxygen to all the parts of my body that like to live.

Zetatrain

Sep 8, 2010
Country
United States
God of Path said:
Patriotism is the belief your country is superior to all other countries because you were born in it.
Isn't that Nationalism, were as patriotism is just simply loving your country?

Syzygy23

Sep 20, 2010
Rooster Cogburn said:
The Declaration is arguably the most important artifact in American history, with only the Constitution coming close. It represents our struggle for independence, our birth as a people, and our radical (for the time) philosophy that the people's government should be controlled by and for the people themselves.
*snort* Yeah, but then that idea was promptly scrapped in favor of handing the power to pick the next leader of the nation to the electoral college.

Democracy my ass, all we get to decide are the results of the popular vote.

Oct 30, 2010
I thought America won because the British killed Mel Gibson's kid, and Mel Gibson was really good at killing Indians.

Heinrich843

Apr 1, 2009
All nationalism and pissing contests of YouTubers aside, there's nothing wrong with celebrating your nation's independence and sovereignty.

Or the establishment of the rule of the people for those living in older nations. (and constitutions and all that)

As for the 1812 war... don't make me get Jackson up in here.

He'll execute foreign civilians on another nation's foreign soil.

EDIT: And I'd love to celebrate your national holidays too, the more holidays the better.

Malyc

Bullets... they don't affect me.
Feb 17, 2010
American here, and I do understand that the French helped us out a lot during the revolution... That doesn't stop me from making fun of them about the World Wars though

[sub][sub][sub][sub]Oh please, don't come at me, France, it's only a harmless bit of fun![/sub][/sub][/sub][/sub]

Personally, I celebrate the 4th cause it's fun to blow shit up...

Risingblade

Mar 15, 2010
Considering that every other day is bash America day I think we're entitled to bashing the British. So yeah death to the queen! Tea sucks btw

Rooster Cogburn

May 24, 2008
Syzygy23 said:
Rooster Cogburn said:
The Declaration is arguably the most important artifact in American history, with only the Constitution coming close. It represents our struggle for independence, our birth as a people, and our radical (for the time) philosophy that the people's government should be controlled by and for the people themselves.
*snort* Yeah, but then that idea was promptly scrapped in favor of handing the power to pick the next leader of the nation to the electoral college.

Self-government doesn't mean everything is decided by popular vote. And I'm not convinced the electoral college isn't a better way to construct the government. I think I would like my state to count even if it is not the biggest. I live in Florida anyway, but I'm just sayin'.

Are we getting off topic?

tsb247

Mar 6, 2009
I was always taught that the French played a large role in the American Revolution. There were also some German officers that helped to train the Continental Army as well. The American and French revolutions share similar ideals, and naturally they helped us out.

Burst6

Mar 16, 2009
Syzygy23 said:

You see, people (in massive groups anyway) are stupid. The popular vote is not always the right one. But then again the electoral college is people so they can be just as stupid. The advantage with the electoral college is that every state, no matter how big the population, is represented equally.

Also the U.S.A is not a democracy. It is a republic. I'm not a expert at this so anyone correct me if i'm wrong with anything here. In a democracy people vote for everything directly. In a republic people vote for other people to vote for them. You vote for your state representatives and you have to trust that they'll handle things for you.

I personally don't mind that it's not a democracy. On one hand in a republic's representatives are corruptible, on the other hand in a democracy the majority opinion could dominate and drastically slow down social progress. I dunno i'm conflicted on it myself.

Inzeost

Dec 22, 2009
Just in general I think that whole "our ancestors did stuff way back when! Lets fight over it!" mind set was always pretty stupid, doesn't matter who did what to who. Might be because my genes come from all over Europe, Russia and India so I'd pretty much have drowned in self hate by now if I did that. I'm all for celebrating independence. It's the one thing I always thought made sense about all this. But you pretty much have all your facts straight. We needed France or else we'd be screwed, and now we hate the french because... well that's what our parents did and we're following the crowd :p

And... a bit off topic,
Griffolion said:
Americans in particular, you know your history better than I do, how do you guys know it?
HAHA no we don't. The education system is so broken here that there are some kids who don't even know the first president (I'd say that's pretty basic).