Okay, EA. What are you trying to pull here?

FakeSympathy

Elite Member
Legacy
Jun 8, 2015
Country
US
So I just saw an annoucement about Xbox and EA partnership; Everyone who's on Xbox Game Pass also gets EA Play.

They used to be a separate thing IIRC, and now the consumers don't have to pay for the extra. Given how capitalistic EA is, I'm surprised that EA is doing something that will earn them less money, let alone agreeing to do this in the first place.

Or is this a situation where EA Play has failed so bad, that they are trying to bundle with more popular game subscription service?

XsjadoBlayde

~it ends here~
Apr 29, 2020
EA play/subscribe isn't that good to be frank, I wouldnt be surprised if they're seeing the Microsoft deal as a far safer return. Gamepass includes new releases and attracts people easily with such value for money, whereas EA are too tight and only put up games already plundered through various sales, not forgetting that most of their titles are yearly releases anyway who's value decreases faster by that merit alone.

sXeth

Elite Member
Legacy
Nov 15, 2012
I dunno, EA might be kind of desperate. When was their last game of any notability beyond being a trainwreck?

On the more cynical side, yes it seems like its losing them money. But they're also getting to flog microtransactions for however many titles at players who would probably otherwise ignore the entire games.

Catfood220

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 21, 2010
I dunno, EA might be kind of desperate. When was their last game of any notability beyond being a trainwreck?
Jedi: Fallen Order was well received, people were going "this EA, more games like this". I've even been tempted to buy it and I haven't bought an EA game since they ruined Dead Space.

Of course they were unable to fill it full of microtransactions and in game adverts, so they probably consider it a massive failure.

Chimpzy

Simian Abomination
Legacy
Escapist +
Apr 3, 2020
Apart from Star Wars: Jedi: Fallen Order, as Catfood220 pointed out, Apex Legends.Then they have the money printer that's Sims 4 and the annual cash cows of Fifa, NFL and NHL. EA made 1.3 billion USD in profit before taxes, with 978 million USD after taxes (with a total net revenue of over 5 bn USD) for the 2020 Fiscal Year. They are not desperate.
Pretty much. EA has nothing to worry about. Their sports franchises alone can keep them afloat. Also, record first quarter for fiscal year 2021.

Reactions: deleted20220709

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Jedi: Fallen Order was well received, people were going "this EA, more games like this". I've even been tempted to buy it and I haven't bought an EA game since they ruined Dead Space.
I tried Fallen Order, and I did not like it. Too much Dark Souls, and platforming/puzzle solving included worse aspects from the early 2000s.

Weasel Biggs

Sep 7, 2020
Country
Canada
Eh, I kinda like Fallen Order. It's a nice change of pace from the usual moans of Where's the next real KOTOR?! or Oh fuck, more Battlefront content!

That aside, EA really isn't hurting. Fallen Order felt like a begrudging concession coming out of a publisher that expected another megamillion games-as-a-service tentpole, and it's obvious that they'd placed their chips elsewhere by the time the game released. They're holding onto the Star Wars license for the sheer notoriety it offers, and can otherwise sit pretty knowing that the usual crops of Madden, FIFA and other such NHLes are going to bring in the dough.

I've always thought that one of those days, they'll get burned so thoroughly that they'll just throw in the towel and just wholly focus on sports titles. It's obvious by now that there's a contingent of Ultimate Team addicts who really don't mind tossing cash at EA for the sake of a Gacha sim - and that those who do fall for this just don't care. All they know is that they're getting this year's hotshot players, oblivious to the fact that they'll line up to do it all over again in a few years.