Okay Maybe 2020 wasn't ALL bad. My GOTY List

XsjadoBlayde

~it ends here~
Apr 29, 2020
*Throws down cold tea and Sunday telegraph newspaper*

You cannot force positivity on me! Will not! I refuse! This black hole of negativity is too strong for any one simple good videogame to overpower.

It requires two good games. Or three. I don't mind if there's four or more either, don't have to stop there!

However, they say a problem shared is a problem halved, therefore the same logic must apply to fun times too: so if I don't share what I liked and had fun with, then they won't be halved and I get to keep those precious happy memories sort of whole and undiluted. This logic is flawless. Stop judging. I can feel you judging!

Phoenixmgs

The Muse of Fate
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
w/ M'Kraan Crystal
I guess my forced choice would be Desperados 3 because it's the only game that I played this year that released this year that I really liked. I played pretty much all of Divinity Original Sin 2 in the early days of the pandemic and I loved that but it's not a 2020 release. Since December seems to be not counted as the current year anymore, Terraforming Mars released on the Android last December and it's a great game. The AI isn't very good, it's kinda hard to actually lose a game against them if you know what you're doing.

I just ordered Wasteland 3 so I'll be playing that very soon. And I'll probably get to Pathless soon as well.

sXeth

Elite Member
Legacy
Nov 15, 2012
Seriously, have all of you guys and gals just been playing games in the AAA space? What about the AA or indie games. I didn't play every single game either, but I know there are good games that came out this year. Must be really convenient to forget the good games you played from this year. And that was not directed at you CriticalGaming. I only replied three times in your other thread to prove a point.

Well now that we're more appropriately close to the end of the year.

My standout pick would be The Pathless. Which is somewhere in the AA/higher indie space. An interesting blend of Zelda, Journey, and a tad of Shadow of the Colossus (though the bosses don't vaguely resemble the colossi) with a unique travel system that keeps you moving through the world at a breakneck pace once you master it. Something a lot of big map/open world games lack, and generally something thats so-so in games (Warframes movement would be another I'd highlight, and to some degree inFamous and that one Xbox One game I forget the name of)

Doom Eternal and Spelunky 2. I list these together because they're both sequels to good games, that are in themselves good games largely by doing not much actual change. They're also both a bit middling in terms of whether the minor adjustments are positive or not.

Ghost of Tsushima. Well we finally got Assassins Creed Japan. Done better then AC itself has done in a good long while. I haven't actually dragged friends in to play with the multplayer stuff yet.

Journey to the Savage Planet. A solid first person metroidvania romp. I actually think this one would be bigger if its marketing wasn't kind of obscure on what the game actually was. All the trailers were leaning into a more contained structured variation on a survival game concept, and instead you got metroidvania. A fun game, also co-oppable if you're into that, only minorly taken a notch down by some of its kind of tired humour.

Hunt : Showdown.
A more novel concept to the Battle Royale genre as it were. While you can fight the other dudes on the map, the main objective is to instead survive your way in a horror landscape and take down the boss monster, then get out alive. I'm not terribly fond of the BR genre in general, but I give credit where its due for the unique concept and execution.

Still to go on my to-play list is Sakura Of Rice and Ruin.

I'd also throw in honorably, Rebel Galaxy Outlaw and Trailmakers. These came out in 2020 on my PS4, but were 2019 games on PC.

And lastly, Warframe. Warframe is of course, originally from 2013. But carries ever onward in expanding itself. The late 2019 and 2020 year having seen the addition of player-crewed capital ship missions (complete with being able to exit, fight iin your jetpack mode and board enemy ships and bases), as well their third open-world segment on Deimos. And their framework for a post-game mode/challenge in Steel Path. They actualy have been getting a lot of flak for content drought, but despite the pandemic situations, its been surprisingly dense.

Last edited:
Reactions: BrawlMan