Okay "Star Wars: The Old Republic" looks like shit. Now what?

Dejawesp

May 5, 2008
Have you seen these trailers? It looks like bloody quake 2.

http://www.swtor.com/media/trailers/bounty-hunter

http://www.swtor.com/media/trailers/space-combat (even lags a bit)

And its not even been released yet!

These are the best looking things they could come up with. This is what's supposed to sell us on this game

Oh well Maybe dark millennium or Titan will be any good. Seems the people looking for a sci-fi mmo will just have to hold our another half decade.

Griffstar

Mar 3, 2011
I'm still buying it. Yeah know why? Because I don't care if the graphics look like a dumb downed version of Oblivion, It looks like a badass game and I've been waiting a freaking long time for this.

Nova Helix

Mar 17, 2010
When I saw the first cinematic trailer I was ready to preorder, then they released game play and it was as if millions of voices suddenly cried out in terror and were suddenly silenced.

It drives me crazy when videos look amazing but the gameplay looks like shit. Either your person will never be in a cinematic or they will be but will look nothing like they do when you play them. I am sad I will never see a true KOTOR 3 :(

Legion

Were it so easy
Oct 2, 2008
Not that I have ever owned one, but since when have MMO's ever been about the visuals?

Woodsey

Aug 9, 2009
Dejawesp said:
Have you seen these trailers? It looks like bloody quake 2.

And its not even been released yet!
Believe it or not, the final version of a game's engine is not used right from the start of production. That means downplayed graphics, graphical bugs and glitches, and lag - even for promo trailers.

Personally, I really like the art direction, and some of the screens to have come out are really pretty. Its an MMOG anyway, so its not going to have the highest midi-chlorian polygon count around.

ZombieGenesis

Apr 15, 2009
Didn't look so good to start with (not talking graphics wise, this is an MMO)

If you want an MMO that promises new gameplay AND brilliant graphics, you'll have to wait for ArenaNet to stop trolling us.

Cheesus333

Aug 20, 2008
If we're really arguing graphics now, I'd just like to point out that it looks better than Warcraft, and millions of people quite rightly don't give a shit about that.

And have you ever played Quake 2? [http://www.bluesnews.com/screenshots/q2/frame1.jpg] Because that's definitely not an apt comparison.

Personally, I'm on the egde. I might get it and I might not, but it comes down to gameplay and how well the multiplayer works. Cause it is an MMO, so it would be terrible if it didn't.

Nomanslander

Feb 21, 2009
MMO's aren't know for their stunning graphics, they're made for any body with a PC to use. Plus, they can't be made to look like a AAA single player title.

I mean, if graphics mattered in MMOs, then why is this game such a massive money eating juggernaut?

oplinger

Sep 2, 2010
...It looks pretty good for an MMO. The particle effects are kinda shitty, but it looks a lot like Global Agenda.

Dejawesp

May 5, 2008
Nomanslander said:
MMO's aren't know for their stunning graphics, they're made for any body with a PC to use. Plus, they can't be made to look like a AAA single player title.

I mean, if graphics mattered in MMOs, then why is this game such a massive money eating juggernaut?

Because Draenei and blood elf females and their higher polygon count are hawt.

DEAD34345

Aug 18, 2010
You should never, ever, ever think that a cinematic gameplay trailer will tell you anything whatsoever about the game it is advertising.

It annoys me that people got so hyped about dead island because of that trailer, the game could be a zombie themed kart racing game, a business management sim about running a hotel in a zombie crisis, or some kind of choose your own adventure multiple choice zombie story for all i know. The trailer showed nothing about the game whatsoever, yet a boatload of people decided they would buy it from the moment they saw it.

Gameplay trailers on the other hand can show you something about the game, to me SWTOR looks incredible, and i don't even like MMORPGs. Of course we are clearly of wildly varying opinions on what makes a game good, since graphics hold almost no sway over me whatsoever. I think I've played more hours of ASCII video games than 3d ones, so what i think is good likely isn't the same as most other people.

StriderShinryu

Dec 8, 2009
Dejawesp said:
Legion said:
Not that I have ever owned one, but since when have MMO's ever been about the visuals?
Matrix Online..... Haaaaawt.
MxO had some things going for it other the visuals.. but yeah, it's sad that MxO could run on pretty much any PC that WoW can and yet it still looks better than most MMOs being released today.

Woodsey

Aug 9, 2009
Dejawesp said:
Legion said:
Grey, with hints of green, and virtually no art direction, is a pretty game to you?

Uncreation

Aug 4, 2009
Looks good enough for me. As other people have said, Wow looks worse than that and nobody gives a crap.

Who Dares Wins

Dec 26, 2009
Nomanslander said:

I mean, if graphics mattered in MMOs, then why is this game such a massive juggernaut?

Because of this:
<youtube=mQiknWkgI6Y>
and this:

<youtube=8jcHnDfph8I&feature=related>

MMOs can also have good graphics:

<youtube=eSP6SDAs6yk>

OT: Graphics aren't that bad but it's the animations that are really ruin it for me.

Dejawesp

May 5, 2008
Woodsey said:
Dejawesp said:
Legion said:
Grey, with hints of green, and virtually no art direction, is a pretty game to you?
MxO was never a game in the same sense as games are considered normally. It was a social medium. You dressed up in cool clothes. Most of which had a level requirement of 12 or below anyway and then went to virtual clubs with your corporation or guild or faction or whatever they where called and just had fun. The game play itself was appalling though the fights could easily look nice.

Legion

Were it so easy
Oct 2, 2008
lunncal said:
You should never, ever, ever think that a cinematic gameplay trailer will tell you anything whatsoever about the game it is advertising.

It annoys me that people got so hyped about dead island because of that trailer, the game could be a zombie themed kart racing game, a business management sim about running a hotel in a zombie crisis, or some kind of choose your own adventure multiple choice zombie story for all i know. The trailer showed nothing about the game whatsoever, yet a boatload of people decided they would buy it from the moment they saw it.

Gameplay trailers on the other hand can show you something about the game, to me SWTOR looks incredible, and i don't even like MMORPGs. Of course we are clearly of wildly varying opinions on what makes a game good, since graphics hold almost no sway over me whatsoever. I think I've played more hours of ASCII video games than 3d ones, so what i think is good likely isn't the same as most other people.
Agreed. Almost all cinematic trailers for Triple A titles show content that does not exist in the game itself or if it does, then it is hugely exaggerated in the trailer. Just look at the "Hope" trailer for Halo Reach.