Okay "Star Wars: The Old Republic" looks like shit. Now what?

Harry Mason

Mar 7, 2011
Wait, what? Sorry I'm too busy playing Minecraft on a multiplayer server...
What's this about graphics being indicative of quality?

mikespoff

Oct 29, 2009
Who Dares Wins said:
Nomanslander said:
MMO's aren't know for their stunning graphics, they're made for any body with a PC to use. Plus, they can't be made to look like a AAA single player title.

I mean, if graphics mattered in MMOs, then why is this game such a massive juggernaut?

Because of this:
<youtube=mQiknWkgI6Y>
...and yet, those graphics are still lousy compared to what GuildWars looked like 5 years earlier...

mikespoff

Oct 29, 2009
The graphics in those clips looked great. As much as MMOs aren't really my thing, I'm still really keen for this one.

SubManCow

Jul 10, 2008
You know what I saw? Pre-scripted events involving the character(s) that make the game look more cinematic in play and probably feel. Definitely worth noting and very intriguing...

Caligulove

Sep 25, 2008
I never thought gamers cared about graphics, especially when it came to MMOs- otherwise World of Warcraft would be a ghost town- its engine hasn't aged well- but that's clearly not the draw of the game.

I think most people will be sold on the facts that its a Star Wars MMO by BioWare.

Kinguendo

Apr 10, 2009
Dejawesp said:
Have you seen these trailers? It looks like bloody quake 2.

http://www.swtor.com/media/trailers/bounty-hunter

http://www.swtor.com/media/trailers/space-combat (even lags a bit)

And its not even been released yet!

These are the best looking things they could come up with. This is what's supposed to sell us on this game

Oh well Maybe dark millennium or Titan will be any good. Seems the people looking for a sci-fi mmo will just have to hold our another half decade.
Now what, you ask? Well now we know you know nothing about MMOs (or any other games for that matter). If you did you wouldnt say "And its not even released yet" as though that backs up your point, do you want to know why it looks like that? BECAUSE ITS NOT EVEN RELEASED YET!

MinishArcticFox

Jan 4, 2010
Well low graphics=easier to run=wider base of players and smoother gameplay. Besides graphics are hardly what really matter in a game name a Bioware game with bad gameplay. Granted some of their games (DAO)haven't had great gameplay but it was good none the less.

Cooperblack

Apr 6, 2009
Well true that Swotor ain't got the best graphics in the world, But i think the look of the game have a lot of charm, And in the end Charm always wins out.

Polaris19

Aug 12, 2010
Dejawesp said:
Have you seen these trailers? It looks like bloody quake 2.

http://www.swtor.com/media/trailers/bounty-hunter

http://www.swtor.com/media/trailers/space-combat (even lags a bit)
And its not even been released yet!
Exactly. The game isn't done yet.

People who have actually seen the game in action at conferences have said good things about it. I'm not worried.

Axolotl

Feb 17, 2008
dowdpride said:
Axolotl said:
Okay the trailers in the OP weren't particularly ugly for an MMO. The writing however, Jesus even for Bioware that's bad, combined with the artstyle made them look more like a parody trailer than anything else.

However the space combat looks, good, if it's integrated well then it will actually give this game an edge over WoW. My opinon of SW:TOR has significantly increased. Perhaps EA might delay Bioware's inevitable death little longer.

wait wait wait... did you really just say that? have you ever even heard of a few little games, namely dragon age origins and mass effect?
Heard of them, played them and completed them. What's your point?

Smooth Operator

Oct 5, 2010
It's and MMO, sub-par graphics/animations/gameplay are pretty much the standard, then you add the name Star Wars... I can just see Lucas buttering up a gullible Stormtrooper...

I would really wait a month or two after release and count howmany SW fans they found crying in the shower.