Okay "Star Wars: The Old Republic" looks like shit. Now what?

LetalisK

May 5, 2010
I don't think the graphics should really be a concern. The constant use of the phrase "solo content" for an MMO is what has me concerned.

Neverhoodian said:
Dejawesp said:
Have you seen these trailers? It looks like bloody quake 2.

http://www.swtor.com/media/trailers/bounty-hunter

http://www.swtor.com/media/trailers/space-combat (even lags a bit)

And its not even been released yet!

These are the best looking things they could come up with. This is what's supposed to sell us on this game

Oh well Maybe dark millennium or Titan will be any good. Seems the people looking for a sci-fi mmo will just have to hold our another half decade.
So the game's going to suck because you don't like the visuals? I pity you if good graphics are your only reason for picking up a game.

Now if you'll excuse me I'm off to play my favorite Star Wars game of all time, Tie Fighter.
I'm not a graphics glutton, but just imagine what could be done with Tie Fighter and X-Wing with the current engines. We're overdue for a remake or a quality new one. Hop to it Lucasarts, or maybe someone more competent!

emeraldrafael

Jul 17, 2010
Eh, this just means we get to go on to the most important thing.

TO STAR WARS BATTLEFRONT 3! ENGAGE!

blankedboy

Feb 7, 2009
It looks really good.
Quake 2 was fucking awesome.
Graphics are unimportant.
I probably won't buy the game.
See ya.

infohippie

Oct 1, 2009
I needed an excuse to start cutting down the number of MMOs to check out, anyway. Just this year there are six MMOs being released that I'm interested in. Six! It's not humanly possible to regularly play more than one or two so I'm gonna have to be cruel in reducing their numbers.

Sonic Doctor

Time Lord / Whack-A-Newbie!
Jan 9, 2010
Dejawesp said:
The game still need to be visually stimulating. A game has to switch environment about once every 15 minutes for people to stay "stimulated"
Where did you get that statistic? Every 15 minutes? That is in the realm of opinion and preference.

Heck, many a time when I use to play Lord of the Rings Online, I would be on for a whole 2 hours of gameplay where I was collecting ore and killing some mobs for a couple quests. For those 2 hours, the environment didn't change at all and looked the same for the whole amount of time. Was I stimulated? Yes, and I had lots of fun with that game, if I still had money to play for the premium subscription I would.

For me, graphics have never been on the top of my gaming list.

1.) Gameplay
2.) Story
3.) Mechanics
4.) Genre
5.) Graphics

There are probably more things that could go on the list, and if I had remembered them they would have been placed above graphics.

When one puts graphics as their top priority, in the sense that they won't play a game because of the graphics, that person can miss out on something great.

Example: My brother loved Ocarina of Time and Majora's Mask. He loved Zelda games. But when Nintendo made Windwaker with cell-shaded graphics, he threw a fit and said he wouldn't play it. Well, I being a person that thought the graphics looked fun, but not being important, I got the game anyway and spend many a day engrossed in the game. My brother never played it, but he miss one of the best, if not the best Zelda game ever.

Video games have always been about interaction, being a part of the entertainment. Graphics are a side point. In my over 20 years of playing games, I have never encountered a game where the graphics made the game less interactive.

proghead said:
bahumat42 said:
because you play mmo's for the other people to play with and not everyone has monster rigs.
If thats not a good enough reason for you, then play crysis instead.
We're talking PC here, and we've had graphics detail settings for years. If your machine can't handle the max setting, turn it down.
I beg to differ. Turning down the detail doesn't always work. I got my PC new, in 2009, it still has the standard non-fancy graphics card that it came with. Take a game like Just Cause which came out in 2007(I know it's not an MMO, but still valid for my point), my computer can't even start it because it says that it isn't powerful enough, that it doesn't have the right things like shaders. Though my computer does handle MMO's like WoW and LotRO at at least half graphic capacity.

The thing is with graphics, once they start getting more and more complicated, sliding the bar down won't work, because at that point the graphics and game just won't work on certain low settings. So basically if MMO's today had the graphics of Just Cause, my computer wouldn't be able to run it, and I bet many others wouldn't be able to either. This would mean that an MMO with the latest geewhiz graphics wouldn't get the subscription base needed to keep the game running, and makers of MMOs realize this. They also know that people that have such low yield graphics cards are people that don't have a gigantic amount of disposable income to upgrade their computers(They can afford a low subscription each month, but not a giant one shot of money on a graphics card, because that would mean they wouldn't be able to play said game for a while, because the wouldn't have the sub-money). I was told that I would have to spend at least a little over 100 dollars to get a graphics card that would at least play Just Cause. Of course I don't have that kind of money.

Well yeah, I could have got the new graphics card if I hadn't had money set aside for Pokemon White and Dragon Age 2 for my 360, but I would rather have those instead of paying over $100 just so I can play one game I mistakenly bought a few months back, and in doing so depleting my money reserves for awhile and not being able to get a game to use with said new graphics card for some time.

But, as I said before way above, graphics aren't everything. And from what I have seen of people's responses in this thread, I feel that a majority of them agree. If there was a game that actually had graphics that made the game look exactly like real life, but I found out the game was shit in gameplay, story, and mechanics. I wouldn't even take a second look; I wouldn't lay the money down.

Veldaroth

Jul 21, 2009
It's Bioware, so I'll get it. The story is pretty much guaranteed to be great and that's all that matters. Besides, the graphics are better than WoW.

Sonic Doctor

Time Lord / Whack-A-Newbie!
Jan 9, 2010
Zekksta said:
This Star Trek game look slike it has horribl graphics.

srsly as if buy a game with such bad graphic enginges and physics issues,

mocruz1200 said:
OMG LOOK AT THOSE GRAPHICS!!!!!!
srsly graphics dont make a game.minecraft is living proof of that. ive never been sold on a game because of the graphics, never will
That is a very good point. I would never look at a game and say, "Well it has poor gameplay, a bad story, and shitty mechanics. But ooooooh my look at those graphics, I must have it because of those fantastic graphics!!"

I find it strange that some people would buy a horrible game just because of the graphics. I tell people like that to go watch a movie or some television. If they want to look at something that is life-like or getting closer and closer to looking like real life, you can't get any closer than real life. Seriously, the main point of entertainment that video and computer games are about is interaction. The gameplay, the mechanics, and a great story to interact with in game. I don't play games to look at stuff. When I'm in the mood to just sit and look at stuff, I watch television(I'm not big into movies).

Dejawesp

May 5, 2008
SupahGamuh said:
You say that Diablo 2 is "visually engaging" while saying that SW:TOR looks like shit...
For its time anyway. Not by todays standards. Though had Star Wars: The Old Republic been released back with diablo 2 then we wouldn't be having this conversation. (Until Half Life was released anyway) (Double fact check. Seems Diablo 2 was released after Half Life.... huh. Diablo 2 sure took a lot of computer power for a game that looked like crap in comparison)

dowdpride

Jul 30, 2010
Axolotl said:
dowdpride said:
Axolotl said:
Okay the trailers in the OP weren't particularly ugly for an MMO. The writing however, Jesus even for Bioware that's bad, combined with the artstyle made them look more like a parody trailer than anything else.

However the space combat looks, good, if it's integrated well then it will actually give this game an edge over WoW. My opinon of SW:TOR has significantly increased. Perhaps EA might delay Bioware's inevitable death little longer.

wait wait wait... did you really just say that? have you ever even heard of a few little games, namely dragon age origins and mass effect?
Heard of them, played them and completed them. What's your point?
my point is that bioware ISN'T EVEN CLOSE to going under

Mouse_Crouse

Apr 28, 2010
Dejawesp said:
Have you seen these trailers? It looks like bloody quake 2.
Not sure what version of quake 2 you played. But look up some screen shot of Quake 2 because I don't know how to link them here, they look nothing like you are claiming.

Jun 11, 2008
Don't play any MMOs or seen any MMOs have you? Stuff like this and Guild Wars graphics is about as good as it gets usually. Although to be honest you shouldn't be buying a game solely on graphics. I know graphics can help with things like mimmersion but they should be a secondary and need and stylised. Stylised graphicss like Toon shaded nearly always look better for longer than "realistic graphics".

Axolotl

Feb 17, 2008
dowdpride said:
Axolotl said:
dowdpride said:
Axolotl said:
Okay the trailers in the OP weren't particularly ugly for an MMO. The writing however, Jesus even for Bioware that's bad, combined with the artstyle made them look more like a parody trailer than anything else.

However the space combat looks, good, if it's integrated well then it will actually give this game an edge over WoW. My opinon of SW:TOR has significantly increased. Perhaps EA might delay Bioware's inevitable death little longer.

wait wait wait... did you really just say that? have you ever even heard of a few little games, namely dragon age origins and mass effect?
You see the game that this thread is about? It's costing $300,000,000 to make. That's more than than those franchises have made. When it fails do you really think EA will keep Bioware running just out of the goodness in their hearts?

Origin was successful as well, look how it turned out for them.

Marowit

Nov 7, 2006
So long as it has an enjoyable, immersing, and persistent world I'll be picking it up (obviously that's a sentence chuck-full of personal opinion). I really want to support a Sci-Fi MMO that involves story, dungeon crawling, character progression and all that Jazz. I hate how the majority of MMOs that comes out are Fantasy (EvE doesn't do it for me, I don't want to be a Super Hero, and STO is just awful).

I am a bit worried at how the story missions will pan out if for some reason you get stuck with someone who is trying to troll you while you are going through it, but I'll just make sure I am grouped with friends if it calls for it.

We'll see though, it should definitely be worth my $50 to pick up the new game, but who knows if it'll be worth my reoccurring subscription. If nothing else it will help pressure Blizzard to release something cool around that time to keep it's customers, and that seems like a Win-Win to me.

dowdpride

Jul 30, 2010
Axolotl said:
dowdpride said:
Axolotl said:
dowdpride said:
Axolotl said:

You see the game that this thread is about? It's costing $300,000,000 to make. That's more than than those franchises have made. When it fails do you really think EA will keep Bioware running just out of the goodness in their hearts?

i highly doubt it will fail. in-fact, i think it will do great

Axolotl

Feb 17, 2008
dowdpride said:
Axolotl said:
dowdpride said:
Axolotl said:
dowdpride said:
Axolotl said:

i highly doubt it will fail. in-fact, i think it will do great
Really? You think it's got what it takes to beat WoW? Maybe. But in that case it's even worse, Bioware will just be gradually retooled into EA's MMO department turning out endless expansions.

dancinginfernal

Sep 5, 2009
A Mad Monk 2 said:
dancinginfernal said:
A Mad Monk 2 said:
Griffstar said:
I'm still buying it. Yeah know why? Because I don't care if the graphics look like a dumb downed version of Oblivion, It looks like a badass game and I've been waiting a freaking long time for this.
two worlds looked like a dumb down version of oblivion too...
Two Worlds looked like a watered down piece of trash that barely made it out of beta. There were so many more problems than just the graphics.

OT: I honestly don't get all the hate. It looks like a pretty good game. I adored both KotORs and used to play them daily but the majority of the hate I see is pointless and poorly reasoned.

Y'know, trolls.
old republic is gonna be a mmo and people rightfully expect things like graphically improvements when the last installment was released years ago
Have you seen this game? It's graphics top even Age of Conan. It's the prettiest MMO out there, and it isn't even out yet. Look up footage from within the last year. Late '10.