Old Escapist Thread Mentioned in Cracked Article

ChocoFace

Nov 19, 2008
Brace yourselves, flame-wars are coming.

Also i love cracked.

Lukeje

Feb 6, 2008
Vanguard_Ex said:
Lukeje said:
SirFlamingLoboOfDoom said:
HOW THE HELL IS THAT EVEN A QUESTION???? Thats like saying 0.11111111 repeated is bigger than 0.2
OMG?!?!?sjsdashsiahdajsdjdas
No, it's like saying that 0.1(9)==0.2
Which, if you make the assumption that 0.(0)1==0, is true.
It begins.
I really hope not. I think my post succinctly describes the argument (whether the assumption that 0.(0)1==0 is justified) well enough that we don't need to have said argument.

And, just to have this on the first page in the case it does build into a flamewar, one can define numbering systems in which 0.(0)1 =/= 0. But if you do that then a lot of maths breaks (e.g. (1/3)*3 =/= 1) so it's a lot easier to set 0.(0)1 == 0.

ZeroMachine

Oct 11, 2008
Lukeje said:
Vanguard_Ex said:
Lukeje said:
HOW THE HELL IS THAT EVEN A QUESTION???? Thats like saying 0.11111111 repeated is bigger than 0.2
It begins.
I really hope not. I think my post succinctly describes the argument (whether the assumption that 0.(0)1==0 is justified) well enough that we don't need to have said argument.

And just to have this on the first page in the case it does build into a flamewar, one can define numbering systems in which 0.(0)1 =/= 0. But if you do that then a lot of maths breaks (e.g. 1/3*3 =/= 1) so it's a lot easier to set 0.(0)1 == 0.
But seriously, stop it, now. It's irrelevant to the thread, pointless, and in all honesty, doesn't matter unless you're working to be an engineer.

So just don't.

Please.

staika

I am Tizzy's Willing Slave
Aug 3, 2009
Please people! let's not get into a flame war over this! we already had this flame war and I don't want this to happen again!

Rylot

May 14, 2010
Funny article, and doesn't really paint all that negative a picture of the escapist; flame wars show up here too. I do find it kinda funny that Cracked's comments section has had some of the biggest flame wars I've seen, and that author (Christina H) in particular seems to spark a lot of them. Granted they aren't really her fault, just people vehemently liking or not liking her articles.

Edit: See what I mean?

Andalusa

Mad Cat Lady
Feb 25, 2008
Wow, I remember that old thing. Confused me then.. after reading it, it still does. I hate maths.

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
The Escapist Forums was mentioned on Cracked.

So...does that mean that the Escapist doesn't really have forums anymore, or is Cracked allowed to not be wrong about some things sometimes?

ZeroMachine

Oct 11, 2008
thaluikhain said:

So...does that mean that the Escapist doesn't really have forums anymore, or is Cracked allowed to not be wrong about some things sometimes?
I honestly have no clue what you mean.

Vanguard_Ex

Mar 19, 2008
Lukeje said:
Vanguard_Ex said:
Lukeje said:
It begins.

And, just to have this on the first page in the case it does build into a flamewar, one can define numbering systems in which 0.(0)1 =/= 0. But if you do that then a lot of maths breaks (e.g. (1/3)*3 =/= 1) so it's a lot easier to set 0.(0)1 == 0.
I know but, you know how these things are. Personally I hope it does snowball again because that would be really fucking funny.

Lukeje

Feb 6, 2008
ZeroMachine said:
thaluikhain said:

I think the implication was that the articles on Cracked are always lies, or something. Maybe.

ZeroMachine

Oct 11, 2008
Grayjack said:
I remember that thread. And now it seems like it'll happen all over again.
Don't worry, if there's one more post about it other than "ok, I'll stop", I'm going to ask for the thread to be locked.

Stall

Apr 16, 2011
Note that 1/3 = .3 repeating
3*(1/3) = .9 repeating
But 3*(1/3) = 1
Thus, by transitivity, we have .9 repeating = 1

It's an elementary proof.

ZeroMachine

Oct 11, 2008
Stall said:
3*(1/3) = .9 repeating
But 3*(1/3) = 1
Yup.

Locking the thread.

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
ZeroMachine said:
thaluikhain said:

Cracked articles are about as reliable as Fox. [small]Admittedly, neither of them really pretend to be news services, but people get annoyed when Fox proves it isn't.[/small]

Lilani

Sometimes known as CaitieLou
May 27, 2009
ZeroMachine said:
Grayjack said:
Don't worry, if there's one more post about it other than "ok, I'll stop", I'm going to ask for the thread to be locked.
And if it does go on to be another full-sized flame war, I think it's safe to say Cracked is a successful troll.

Cowabungaa

Feb 10, 2008
WolfThomas said:
Man am I really that old that I remember that thread? Boy were the flames high that day.
No worries my friend, I do too. And I still can't wrap my head around the whole issue. It just looks so...stupid. Then again, me and numbers have never been on the same page.

Lukeje

Feb 6, 2008
Stall said:
3*(1/3) = .9 repeating
But 3*(1/3) = 1

It's an elementary proof.
It's a misleading and broken proof.

ZeroMachine

Oct 11, 2008
Lilani said:
ZeroMachine said:
Grayjack said:
And if it does go on to be another full-sized flame war, I think it's safe to say Cracked is a successful troll.
Indeed they are.