Old Games you remember playing but can't remember the name of.

Matthew Wren

Jan 16, 2015
I remember back in the early 90s I used to play a game on either the NES or SNES, I can't remember which one. I don't remember much about it but I think it was sort of in the style of Zelda 2. I remember you started the game as one guy but you could climb into a tree house (or something similar) and there were other characters in the room you could choose from. You just walked in front of them and talked to them. I remember there was one guy with a cape and maybe a cowl (sort of like batman). I think he was wearing a light blue. He was my favorite because you could also talk to a cat in the room and it would let you play as the guy, I remember just calling him Catman. That's really all I remember about it. Anyone know what I'm thinking of?

Voulan

Jul 18, 2011
OREayda said:
Voulan said:
I posted this in a similar thread but have had no luck, so I'll re-post it in here:

I have two games for you guys to discover. Unfortunately, what I remember from them is very vague.

1) This game was on an old DOS computer. It was set in Ancient Greece, though the story I haven't got any clue of. You play as an (old?) upper-class man, and begin the game waking up in bed, then making your way to a nearby bar. The game is highly reminiscent of Hugo's House of Horrors (same type-command gameplay), which was also on that computer.

2) This game I have no idea what it was originally on, other than some form of computer. The game featured some sort of male adventurer, who had to make his way from the left side of the screen to the right (or vice versa), all the while avoiding large monsters that patrol up and down the length of the screen. The idea was to dash across when they had their back turned on him. There may have been gemstone collecting and boulder pushing, but that might be me merging two games together. :D

Good luck, because I've been trying to find them for ages.
I've been looking for something for years that falls into your second description pretty perfectly. Any way you've figured it out after three years??
Afraid not. I've had someone help me find the first one, but not the latter.

If I recall correctly, the scrolling monsters I remember thinking looked like the Pokemon Gengar but completely black. I'm fairly certain I've combined two separate games into one though as the treasure hunting side sounds like a different genre altogether.

thedkm

Jul 24, 2014
DXMax said:
My last game I am looking for. I posted this separate as this will take longer to explain. It is not shadow man, Hexen or Quake games, Castle Wolfenstein and as I mentioned below, its not any of the Doom series.

For quite a long time I have been looking for a PC game I played as a demo years ago. It was first person and trying to remember the graphics, I'd guess it was cross between the original Half life and Minecraft but I am not 100% sure as its been so long since I played it. It is not any of the Doom games, Vampire the Masquerade, Resident Evil or Blood games. At first I thought the name of it was "Undead" or "Undying" but only games I can find with that name are "Clive Barker's Undying" and that isn't it.

This may have been a DOS game or a DOS like game but again unsure.

I remember you start underground, possibly in a cave or cavern and I remember lava in places and cages and doors with jail cell bars on them. I remember square health packs with a red + on them also.

I remember you had a small grey knife (thin) that was on your right hand and swung from right to left and was slow to swing. I also remember you could get a pistol gun somewhere in the game which I think fired 6 or 8 shots before you could reload.

One area in the demo I remember was not far from where you started. You had to jump onto this square platform which was surrounded by lava and do something to stop it sinking into the lava and killing you so you could pass the area. Then I remember there was an opening in the cavern with two cliff walls on either side, It was at night and in this area, zombies with chainsaws and they walked slowly towards you as you tried to escape. After you left this area, you ended up in sewers which you had to leave. The doors were wooden and had a square cut out of them, like this I think:http://gulienallard.free.fr/dd/polycount/DoorUpdate_retake01.jpg but with bars on the square bit. There was leavers you had to find to open some doors. In this area there was some bats that attacked you.

After you exited sewers, there was a big boss (can't remember what it looked like) but you had to defeat it before the end of the area. This was also at night and after you did defeat it, there was a mansion you had to go into next, but that was the end of the demo.

Other things I remember:

There was furry brown small worm like creatures that only had teeth on their face and jumped up at you to attack you.

When you got attacked there was a low male "ooh" groan type sound and I think the screen turned red while you were getting hit, either that or there was blood splattered down screen.

The zombies I think had a hockey mask and blue breeches but again, only somewhat sure. I also think the chainsaw sound only played once when they were coming at you with their chainsaw. You couldn't pickup or use a chainsaw yourself. All I remember having is the grey knife and a grey looking pistol.

This game demo came on some type of PC Gaming magazine but I forget which. I think it either came out in late 90's (1997 onwards) or early 2000s.

Also I think you could only walk in the game, I don't remember running. I don't think it was a first person shooter either.
Try : Project Undead http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4M3T5IKtQlo

Chainsaw Undead http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4M3T5IKtQlo&t=2m53s

Worm http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4M3T5IKtQlo&t=0m55s

Sewers http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4M3T5IKtQlo&t=1m50s

One note: The game was not released,only the demo can be found on the web.

TheZeeMan

Jan 16, 2015
Okay, so there is a game I remember playing as a child. The details are a bit fuzzy but I'll throw what I know out there and hopefully it will ring a bell. First off it's a game on PS1, and it's an FPS horror game.

You start off at night, outside with a sword. I vaguely remember there being a body of water to your right. You make your way forward a little and run into your first enemy, which I can only describe as a very strange slimy creature with alot of teeth. (Very similar to the enemies in The Legend of Zelda that swallow you and steal your shield. You get five rupees for destroying them.) So you kill the creature, and make you're way into a sort of tomb. There are caskets in the walls and it's pretty dark. The level is revealed to you in a similar fashion as Turok, how the fog would dissipate as you move, revealing the enemies and structures. Except in this game it's the darkness that dissipates. You end up fighting some skeletons and more of the slimy creatures as you venture further into the tomb.

My mind goes blank after this, except for this. At some point past the tomb, you end up going into a corridor with a treasure chest at the end of it, and two skeletons guarding it. I never made it past this point because the game scared the HELL out of me when I was a kid. I'm surprised I made it as far as I did. Again, this was a PS1 title and an FPS. If anyone has any idea what it's called, I would be ecstatic as I would love to take another crack at it.

EDIT-
I found it! It was Shadow Towers.

Doomgriever

Jul 15, 2013
justiciero said:
Hi there,

I'm looking for a PSX game, in which the first mision has something to do with a car bomb. It's not GTA, and it's not Driver, and it's not Die Hard Trilogy. (I remember something in the tittle like cops, or pólice, but I'm not sure...)

If I remember well, you're the police and have to arrive to the place where the car bomb is parked, before it explodes.

The graphics look similar to Fighting Force 2.

Anyone can remember? I rented it and it was very fun, not an spectacular game, but very fun.
Urban Chaos? ( http://www.giantbomb.com/urban-chaos/3030-15032/images/ )

DXMax

Jan 14, 2015
thedkm said:
DXMax said:
My last game I am looking for. I posted this separate as this will take longer to explain. It is not shadow man, Hexen or Quake games, Castle Wolfenstein and as I mentioned below, its not any of the Doom series.

For quite a long time I have been looking for a PC game I played as a demo years ago. It was first person and trying to remember the graphics, I'd guess it was cross between the original Half life and Minecraft but I am not 100% sure as its been so long since I played it. It is not any of the Doom games, Vampire the Masquerade, Resident Evil or Blood games. At first I thought the name of it was "Undead" or "Undying" but only games I can find with that name are "Clive Barker's Undying" and that isn't it.

This may have been a DOS game or a DOS like game but again unsure.

I remember you start underground, possibly in a cave or cavern and I remember lava in places and cages and doors with jail cell bars on them. I remember square health packs with a red + on them also.

I remember you had a small grey knife (thin) that was on your right hand and swung from right to left and was slow to swing. I also remember you could get a pistol gun somewhere in the game which I think fired 6 or 8 shots before you could reload.

One area in the demo I remember was not far from where you started. You had to jump onto this square platform which was surrounded by lava and do something to stop it sinking into the lava and killing you so you could pass the area. Then I remember there was an opening in the cavern with two cliff walls on either side, It was at night and in this area, zombies with chainsaws and they walked slowly towards you as you tried to escape. After you left this area, you ended up in sewers which you had to leave. The doors were wooden and had a square cut out of them, like this I think:http://gulienallard.free.fr/dd/polycount/DoorUpdate_retake01.jpg but with bars on the square bit. There was leavers you had to find to open some doors. In this area there was some bats that attacked you.

After you exited sewers, there was a big boss (can't remember what it looked like) but you had to defeat it before the end of the area. This was also at night and after you did defeat it, there was a mansion you had to go into next, but that was the end of the demo.

Other things I remember:

There was furry brown small worm like creatures that only had teeth on their face and jumped up at you to attack you.

When you got attacked there was a low male "ooh" groan type sound and I think the screen turned red while you were getting hit, either that or there was blood splattered down screen.

The zombies I think had a hockey mask and blue breeches but again, only somewhat sure. I also think the chainsaw sound only played once when they were coming at you with their chainsaw. You couldn't pickup or use a chainsaw yourself. All I remember having is the grey knife and a grey looking pistol.

This game demo came on some type of PC Gaming magazine but I forget which. I think it either came out in late 90's (1997 onwards) or early 2000s.

Also I think you could only walk in the game, I don't remember running. I don't think it was a first person shooter either.
Try : Project Undead http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4M3T5IKtQlo

Chainsaw Undead http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4M3T5IKtQlo&t=2m53s

Worm http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4M3T5IKtQlo&t=0m55s

Sewers http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4M3T5IKtQlo&t=1m50s

One note: The game was not released,only the demo can be found on the web.
Yes that is it! Thanks! That is probably why no one heard of it, as it was only ever released as a demo and since I read it was made in 2001, no wonder I thought it was from the 90s with its 90s like graphics.

Tassy2shoes

Jan 16, 2015
Heyy there~ i'm having trouble remembering 2 old games i used to play on ps1

first one: it was like a whitish bluish pink background maybe and sharp pencils that you had to avoid and paint brushes and sharpeners and things like that.i dont remember how the character looked like. Someone told me its called art but i coudnt find anything.

Second one: it was more like an adventure game. The character had red hair and i remember the loading screen was black and the character was in the middle of the screen.i also remeber getting coins and and going on a boat. There was water and i think i remember the character drowning maybe. Its also 2 player because i used to play it with my sister.

I hope this was enough information. Thank youuu

UPDATE: OKAY I FOUND THE FIRST ONE MYSELF!! it was Rayman: Picture City for anyone who is looking for that!
still cant find the second one though 😩

Alex Tay

Dec 23, 2014
hi all, I used to play a pc game around year 2000+ which is an airplane top down shooting game. In the game, you control an aircraft flying on an alien planet shooting down enemies with lasers, bombs, missiles etc. In total each planet has 5 stages if not mistaken, before proceeding to the next planet. After each stage you are able to upgrade your weapons using points you accumulated in the stages by killing enemies. Some of the weapon names that i recall are 1) Missiles: Pathfinder, Magnum, Needle. 2) Bombs: Air filter. 3) Satellites(Shields): Ghost, Volcano, Starlight, Guardian. 4) Gunner. Any idea what is the name of this game? Please help, Im desperate to find out what was this game that I've played in my childhood. Thanks :)

Gnostos Agnostos

Jan 16, 2015
I need help with a VERY old game i am trying to find out.All i remember is that the game was in windows 95,it was point and click and you had a trapped at first (i think) pirate on a shipwreck and there was a parrot there mocking you and doing silly stuff.It was a short game but still.Can you help with that?I searched all the internet but nothing.

James Read

Jan 16, 2015
I remember a game that's in my head, back from the very first days of when I tried PC gaming, as way back as about 1996 on my first 266 Mhz machine!

Things I remember;

• - Side scroller, a character that jumps between platforms
    - The character was a teenage boy
    - Possibly wearing blue shorts and a white t-shirt
    - The opening video had something to do with being sucked into a vortex , with a treehouse or something odd like that.
    - The first few levels at least are like dark caves, but I never got very far, I think it was a demo disk off a magazine, maybe the demo ran out
    - I remember something about blue lightening - maybe an effect, or a weapon he had or something.
    - The enemies were like little black cave critters, almost like made out of gooey oil or similar.
[/list]

DXMax

Jan 14, 2015
Gnostos Agnostos said:
I need help with a VERY old game i am trying to find out.All i remember is that the game was in windows 95,it was point and click and you had a trapped at first (i think) pirate on a shipwreck and there was a parrot there mocking you and doing silly stuff.It was a short game but still.Can you help with that?I searched all the internet but nothing.
There is a PC game similar to what you mentioned called "Treasure Island" and this may or may not be it. I vaguely remember playing it once and it was an older game from the 90s I think, but I don't remember much about it other than it wasn't a long game and had pirates in it and I think it was also point and click, but sounds similar to what your asking about. The game had a midi file that came with it named "racingsk.mid" you can download the mid here to see if you remember it: http://midishrine.com/midi/53516.mid I did a search on-line and couldn't find anything about as searching for "treasure island game" or similar gave me anything but the game I was looking for.

Planeforger

Oct 30, 2007
James Read said:
I remember a game that's in my head, back from the very first days of when I tried PC gaming, as way back as about 1996 on my first 266 Mhz machine!

Things I remember;

• - Side scroller, a character that jumps between platforms
    - The character was a teenage boy
    - Possibly wearing blue shorts and a white t-shirt
    - The opening video had something to do with being sucked into a vortex , with a treehouse or something odd like that.
    - The first few levels at least are like dark caves, but I never got very far, I think it was a demo disk off a magazine, maybe the demo ran out
    - I remember something about blue lightening - maybe an effect, or a weapon he had or something.
    - The enemies were like little black cave critters, almost like made out of gooey oil or similar.
[/list]
Sounds like Heart of Darkness.

Planeforger

Oct 30, 2007
tmini76 said:
Ok there was this old pc game I played as a kid on a win98 machine. It had the same concept as galaga except it was 3d. The camera was positioned behind your ship and everything is coming forward at you. I think there was rocks to dodge and rings to fly through sometimes. You had basic enemies every round to kill. After maybe like 10 rounds you face against a boss. It went to like round 100 and the boss at the end was like all of the previous bosses combined.
That could be one of the Tempest games, like Tempest 2000.

Drathnoxis

Became a mass murderer for your sake
Legacy
Sep 23, 2010
Just off-screen
Country
Canada
Voulan said:
2) This game I have no idea what it was originally on, other than some form of computer. The game featured some sort of male adventurer, who had to make his way from the left side of the screen to the right (or vice versa), all the while avoiding large monsters that patrol up and down the length of the screen. The idea was to dash across when they had their back turned on him. There may have been gemstone collecting and boulder pushing, but that might be me merging two games together. :D
OREayda said:
I've been looking for something for years that falls into your second description pretty perfectly. Any way you've figured it out after three years??
It sounds like Emerald Mine for the Amiga to me. The game was all about collecting gems and pushing boulders and you had no direct way of killing the monsters except using boulders so there was a lot of avoiding too.

By the way, Voulan, what game is your avatar from?

Brendan Powers

Jan 17, 2015
Hi all! Maybe someone on this form will know the game I'm looking for!

I played this game on PC with my brother at least 15 years ago (most likely on Windows 95). Unfortunately, the only things I remember are:

1. The game was focused around monsters or creatures
2. It had a specific room where you could breed or create hybrids of the creatures
3. Then the monsters would try to climb a staircase where you would put traps to kill them, this area was viewed from a 3/4 perspective
4. The graphics were probably around 16-bit pixel animation (no 3D polygons)

If anyone can ID this game I would greatly appreciate it!

rubytuesday

Apr 25, 2013
I know i'm posting twice but this is bugging the crap out of me, so when i was really young i played this game that was top down( in the same way Pokemon is) played a lot like Pokemon to in the way that it was a turn based combat, and there was a party of like 3 or 4 people with you and i remember one level area there was this giant tent for like carnivals and there was a lot of enemies in there, also the graphics looked a lot like 2nd 3rd gen Pokemon. sorry i keep comparing it to Pokemon but its all i have, oh also there was like magic spells and whatnot that some of your party members could cast to hurt baddies and stuff, i have literally been searching for this game for years and Google has nothing for me.
Oh right it was on i'm like 90% sure it was on PC.
Also i believe that when some of the units, on your side or the other had like, range and whatnot so you had to like position some of your units like archers and wizards and stuff farther back, i really wish i new more but that's all i got.

Nils Emrich

Jan 17, 2015
Hey Guys.. I need help , but with hardly any information..
Only thing i know is that its around the win 98 so could be 95 or ME too. A 1st Perston Knights game. You had the chance to fight other knights, and there was a chance you could meet up with the Dragon and fight the Dragon (?!). Graphics were decent but pixelstuff.

Sorry with the english ^_^

faeruszorander

Jan 17, 2015
Okay, so im not really expecting anyone to actually have ever played this game before, but you never know : its a space exploration game, where u get a ship, that can be upgraded, im pretty sure u could have multiple different crew members, there was a normal flight mode where u could cruise around and checkout planets, and a warp-type mode, where the screen would change look and your ship would move super quick through what looked like an alternate dimension etc. i distinctly remember the game started out in the solar system as we know it, at earth, and i remember visiting pluto first, and sending down a probe ship thingy to scan it for minerals, and then coming across some crazy alien dude, who wanted to chat with me. I know it isn't much to go on, and ive already managed to checkout starflight, megatraveller, it was neither, and am at somewhat of a loss, i was playing this game around mid-late nineties, on a very early pc, would have been a first gen pentium or something, as i remember all the other pc's in the house were pentium 133 or bigger, and this one was ancient in comparison to those speed demons! the game was top down in flight mode, and it changed to like a portrait screen whenever u encountered another alien/person etc to chat to, with dialogue options arrayed below. i think i was 6-7 at the time i was playing this, so my memory of this game has had many years to erode way, but in the last 5yrs or so ive had a casual search, i cant seem to find anything, lots of things similar, but not quite it. if anyone can even throw a ballpark guess in there, id be happy to chase it down and see if its what im after! many thanks in advance. i should probably also mention that it was a DOS game, as i remember my cousin having to launch it for me as i couldnt remember the correct string i needed to type to launch it.

tac7ical37

Jan 17, 2015
I will be so thankful if someone tell me what is the game.. I remember that it was scary game and the hero you play is a browb-hair kid vs some animals/plants/creatures. The main menu screen was the kid and behind him all that creatures (wolves,plants as i said) in some dark castle and on the background it had thinderstorm sounds and wolves sounds and when u stArt the game it was looking like bomberman same gameplay you walk around with the hero(kid) and u kill that creatures with some gas

fuu2ryuu

Jan 17, 2015
So there was a game I played in either the late 90s or early 2000s that was a guy going intoa castle I think to go toa meeting maybe. But he blacks it and he wakes up to the castle in ruins and on fire. He turns into a demon because ofa curse maybe but he is accused of murdering all the people.