Old Games you remember playing but can't remember the name of.

Mutant1988

Sep 9, 2013
AnonymousCrow said:
I'm looking for an old pc game, no idea what time it was made in, i remember playing somewhere between 2000 and 2008 ish.
It was set in space on some kind of planet/moon, and you played as a ship and had to shoot and kill these floating things (either aliens or ships). The style had good graphics, and was like a 2d side-scroller that looped.
The main feature I can clearly remember is that you could see the next level/area of terrain and aliens/ships in the background, and when you had killed enough on the level you were on you could move back into the background, which would become the current level, to kill those there too.
There may have been a mini map that gave a basic view of the terrain and little dots where all the things you had to kill where at in comparison to yourself.
This is a PC game and has a minimap, but doesn't have the next level in the background aspect:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C_eKT9TVLa8

Probably not the right game though.

Was it scrolling Horizontally or Vertically?

AnonymousCrow

Mar 21, 2015
Mutant1988 said:
AnonymousCrow said:
I'm looking for an old pc game, no idea what time it was made in, i remember playing somewhere between 2000 and 2008 ish.
It was set in space on some kind of planet/moon, and you played as a ship and had to shoot and kill these floating things (either aliens or ships). The style had good graphics, and was like a 2d side-scroller that looped.
The main feature I can clearly remember is that you could see the next level/area of terrain and aliens/ships in the background, and when you had killed enough on the level you were on you could move back into the background, which would become the current level, to kill those there too.
There may have been a mini map that gave a basic view of the terrain and little dots where all the things you had to kill where at in comparison to yourself.
This is a PC game and has a minimap, but doesn't have the next level in the background aspect:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C_eKT9TVLa8

Probably not the right game though.

Was it scrolling Horizontally or Vertically?
yeah, tis not the right one it was not as fast paced as that, and it was horizontally scrolling.

thoughtwrangler

Sep 29, 2014
diablo rules said:
Jenn Landers said:
There is a game I am looking for. It was a CD ROM game on a Windows computer in the 90's....want to say 1995 on. I believe I purchased it as a single CD probably at Wal-Mart and it was most likely one those "cheap" under $10 games. First person, camera angle was, to my recollection, behind and a bit above your character. I want to say it is also RPG, but I'm not entirely familiar with RPG as it is, so I could be wrong. It was a one player game with a single character, male..white...I think he had blonde hair...and looked a bit like that white guy in the Disney Pocahontas movie. Genre was kind of action, adventure...maybe even sci-fi or ....horror (although I doubt it is horror)....most likely for a more mature audience.
The graphics were very nice for that time, and the creators tried to mimic realism mixed with fantasy...so the character you play looks human...doesn't resemble anything anime, btw. The game would transition from day to night as "normally" as possible (although much quicker than ours).

There was a village that your character wanders into and you can talk to some of the villagers and you had an option or two as to how you could respond. You could also trade a few items with at least one of them. There was a tavern and an inn and the villagers would tell him that he needs to find a place to stay for the night because it isn't safe outside after dark. There was also a band of gypsies , if I remember right...and a lake...or lagoon, with a very...seductive mermaid who you...I believe, could converse with and she would try to lure you into the lake with her (and you'd die). Your character was a traveler...you are in the woods some...I think you actually have to fight things here and there.
Now...if my memory serves me right and I'm not mixing another game in with this...there are vampires in this game and a castle where a young boy...who is also a vampire, lives.

Those are about all the details I remember. Any idea?
I think you're talking about

Quest For Glory - Shadows Of Darkness (1993)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2uQz8CeiZ5Q

although many of your points do not fit...you said it was a first person but you describe the camera as it was a third person game! maybe I'm wrong but check it out anyway.
I was thinking the same thing. Jenn may be referring to the dialogue screens, which do appear "first person" since it shows a detailed portrait of the person you're conversing with.

But I had some really good memories of that game, and agree that it is the likely choice. If not, Jenn, I totally recommend checking it out anyway. It's worth it :D

Derik Langby

Mar 21, 2015
Me and my dad used to play this game when i was much younger, it was on PC and the time we played it was around 1997 to the early 2000s'. Bear in mind this is when we PLAYED it, not when it came out though and memories are easily lost in life. Now what confuses me is that the graphics were not 3d from what i remember... but diablo 2 style or worse.
Now onto what i remember of the game itself... It was for sure either top down, or in the style of diablo 2 being slightly slanted.

You control a small purple wizard (imagine the wizard from the game dungeon defenders). I remember that you had a lamp, staff, robes etc. that you can upgrade and (i think purchase) new equipment throughout the game. There is enemies - so then there is combat. I remember a specific level in a forest, a flying (destroyed) castle, an underground lava style area and i believe the lamp may even reveal the area around you but could be wrong.

I remember some spider enemies in the forest and the game may have had puzzle elements as me and my father both remember in the forest you had to squeeze through some trees and there was a book surrounded by tree stumps... we never found out how to get the book.
This brings me onto the next point which is that there was collectible books in the levels (i think) i seem to think there was other collectibles but am not sure of this.

I remember vividly one boss where you are in a square cave (top down view) and there was an ogre(?) that was pretty tough for little me, you entered at the bottom left and there was a small hole (exit?) in the middle on the bottom side and sometimes the boss would get stuck and allow an easy kill.

Any information you could give to help me find this game would b HUGELY appreciated.. been looking for so, so long.

EDIT: The spiders were apparently called spitters according to my father.
He can wear and change his boots, lamp, hat, wand and clothes.
Apprently there was also "coins" smaller ones and then larger ones.
The spell books i mentioned give you new spell books and my dad specifically mentioned a spell involving "rockets going everywhere".

Pixelhunter

Dec 21, 2014
Derik Langby said:
Me and my dad used to play this game when i was much younger, it was on PC and the time we played it was around 1997 to the early 2000s'. Bear in mind this is when we PLAYED it, not when it came out though and memories are easily lost in life. Now what confuses me is that the graphics were not 3d from what i remember... but diablo 2 style or worse.
Now onto what i remember of the game itself... It was for sure either top down, or in the style of diablo 2 being slightly slanted.

You control a small purple wizard (imagine the wizard from the game dungeon defenders). I remember that you had a lamp, staff, robes etc. that you can upgrade and (i think purchase) new equipment throughout the game. There is enemies - so then there is combat. I remember a specific level in a forest, a flying (destroyed) castle, an underground lava style area and i believe the lamp may even reveal the area around you but could be wrong.

I remember some spider enemies in the forest and the game may have had puzzle elements as me and my father both remember in the forest you had to squeeze through some trees and there was a book surrounded by tree stumps... we never found out how to get the book.
This brings me onto the next point which is that there was collectible books in the levels (i think) i seem to think there was other collectibles but am not sure of this.

I remember vividly one boss where you are in a square cave (top down view) and there was an ogre(?) that was pretty tough for little me, you entered at the bottom left and there was a small hole (exit?) in the middle on the bottom side and sometimes the boss would get stuck and allow an easy kill.

Any information you could give to help me find this game would b HUGELY appreciated.. been looking for so, so long.

The spell books i mentioned give you new spell books and my dad specifically mentioned a spell involving "rockets going everywhere".
Could have been "Nox" (2000)

http://www.gog.com/game/nox

Derik Langby

Mar 21, 2015
Pixelhunter said:
Derik Langby said:

Could have been "Nox" (2000)

http://www.gog.com/game/nox
Not quite, mine is more childish and not so dark - from what i remember it didn't seem a serious game and was much more colorful.
There was also ONLY the choice of being the wizard.
Thanks for trying though :)

diablo rules

Aug 14, 2014
Derik Langby said:

already answered it a few posts back

Spooky Castle - The Adventures Of Kid Mystic (1999) (aka Kid Mystic)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2PRXs7xreSA

http://hamumu.wikia.com/wiki/Kid_Mystic

Derik Langby

Mar 21, 2015
diablo rules said:
Derik Langby said:

already answered it a few posts back

Spooky Castle - The Adventures Of Kid Mystic (1999) (aka Kid Mystic)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2PRXs7xreSA

http://hamumu.wikia.com/wiki/Kid_Mystic
Thank you, so, so, so, so much... Like seriously!
Sorry i didn't see your previous post.. I went through just over 90 pages and thought it would be better if i just posted.
Seriously thank you!

Stg

Jul 19, 2011
Merrik Waters said:
Been driving me crazy. WW2 rts/RPGish
Units have unique names and backgrounds. They are persistent from level to level. Can loot pretty much everything off enemy soldiers, allowing you to customize pretty much every unit. I know it isnt much to go off of.
Is it a PC game? Sounds like a personal favorite of mine called Faces of War

http://img.gamefaqs.net/screens/0/2/c/gfs_71000_2_6.jpg

siet02

Mar 21, 2015
I remember a game, i think it was for pc. Where you had to conttrol a chopper in a 2d environment where you had to attach parts to your magnet under the chopper and drop them in a pipe. I also think it was a wallace and gromit (grummitt?) game. I had so much fun but now i have forgotten the name! Can anyone help me?

EDIT: it was also a fairly new game, as i played it between 2005-2006/7

StatusNil

Oct 5, 2014
siet02 said:
I remember a game, i think it was for pc. Where you had to conttrol a chopper in a 2d environment where you had to attach parts to your magnet under the chopper and drop them in a pipe. I also think it was a wallace and gromit (grummitt?) game. I had so much fun but now i have forgotten the name! Can anyone help me?

This one?

http://www.wallaceandgromit.com/games/invention_suspension/

malroy85

Feb 9, 2014
Hello again guys,
Just reposting and hope the right person comes across it this time as it hasn't been answered
Gday to all,
I had luck with my first post, im hoping i have the same luck with the second.
This particular game was on macintosh, id say early to mid 90's. The name of it was a series of letters and numbers (im guessing the model of the particular helicopter). It was a 2d side on game where you controlled a helicopter, but also could generate troops from the left side of the map, such as infantry, tanks, rocket launchers etc. You were able to take 5 infantry into the helicopter and they could para drop down to target particular buildings/units. There were obstacles along the map (heading to the right) that you could bomb with your helicopter or let said troops take out if they were the right type. There were also opposing helicopters on the more difficult levels and anti air missiles which made it quite challenging. I hope this description rings through to somebody, it was so much fun! Looked quite cartoonish too "given the era"
Many thanks
Malroy

diablo rules

Aug 14, 2014
malroy85 said:
Hello again guys,
Just reposting and hope the right person comes across it this time as it hasn't been answered
Gday to all,
I had luck with my first post, im hoping i have the same luck with the second.
This particular game was on macintosh, id say early to mid 90's. The name of it was a series of letters and numbers (im guessing the model of the particular helicopter). It was a 2d side on game where you controlled a helicopter, but also could generate troops from the left side of the map, such as infantry, tanks, rocket launchers etc. You were able to take 5 infantry into the helicopter and they could para drop down to target particular buildings/units. There were obstacles along the map (heading to the right) that you could bomb with your helicopter or let said troops take out if they were the right type. There were also opposing helicopters on the more difficult levels and anti air missiles which made it quite challenging. I hope this description rings through to somebody, it was so much fun! Looked quite cartoonish too "given the era"
Many thanks
Malroy
Are you sure with the name thing? because you described exactly

Armor Alley (1991)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fEeufpL9K3g

Merrik Waters

Oct 31, 2009
Mutant1988 said:
Merrik Waters said:
Been driving me crazy. WW2 rts/RPGish
Units have unique names and backgrounds. They are persistent from level to level. Can loot pretty much everything off enemy soldiers, allowing you to customize pretty much every unit. I know it isnt much to go off of.
Soldiers: Heroes of World War 2?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oUn9wf2AXnI

Could be one of the Men of War Games as well:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SVZGsjA-BCE

Or Faces of War (Video from second game):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2h7mQMny6cg

Really, the only way to figure out which it is is by you recognizing the GUI elements.

The reason why they are so similar is pretty obvious - Same developer for all of them:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Best_Way
It was indeed Soldiers: Heroes of WW2. Thanks. Gonna go seep in nostalgia for a bit.

tyralus

Jan 24, 2015
diablo rules said:
I think you're talking about

Quest For Glory - Shadows Of Darkness (1993)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2uQz8CeiZ5Q

although many of your points do not fit...you said it was a first person but you describe the camera as it was a third person game! maybe I'm wrong but check it out anyway.
He messed up some stuff but it 100% Quest for Glory IV. I love that game and recognised the description immediately. Despite that 1st person/ over the shoulder thing.

FlyAwayAutumn

Rating: Negative Awesome
May 19, 2009
Alright someone help me. I'm thinking of an old Xbox game. From what I remember you play mostly in space (I think) and you start with only guns but as you go on you gain like psychic powers and by the end of the game you like exclusively use your powers. I remember the game ended on a cliffhanger where your guy collapsed in the snow. Don't think it ever got a sequel

If it helps I remember the game had weird proportions. Like the characters had oddly long legs

Edit: AH! I found it! It's Advent Rising!

Nathan Edwards

Mar 22, 2015
Alright i Remember parts of the game when i was young and all i can remember of it is, Your a young boy adventuring through levels trying to Get the guy that stole your girlfriend this game is pg or g, and there are levels that i remember e.g. Forest, eygpt, castle, cave and other levels this is a platformer.

Please Help
Thank You

siet02

Mar 21, 2015
StatusNil said:
siet02 said:

This one?

http://www.wallaceandgromit.com/games/invention_suspension/
Thank you so much! Thats it!

lolmehfaceoff

Mar 18, 2015
i can't remember this game it like 10 years ago and i played this helicopter game where you fight a big ship that can drop submarines and there was this flying saucer that spins with a saw and you have go around it as it fires lasers and when you start up the game you should see the inside of the apache helicopter cockpit that's all i can ever remember