Old-School RPG Inquisitor Goes Beta After 13 Years

viranimus

Thread killer
Nov 20, 2009
Ftaghn To You Too said:
No! Nonononono, you get all the shiny new RPGs and your Skyrims and your New Fallouts.

All we want is a good isometric RPG. Don't take this away from us, you monster.
Well if there is a market to support it, all well and good, I would not even think of trying to deny anyone their joy, but youve got Diablo 3, this, enhanced editions of Baulders gate, The likely possibility of Planescape being enhanced as well, Wasteland 2, there is a clear resurgance for late 90s PC gaming.

I simply cannot see the allure of it myself. To each their own. I know why I cant see it. I was firmly a console gamer from childhood onward and didnt play a PC RPG till the original diablo and really was not impressed. So I do not have the nostalgia goggles to endure the really bad visuals, lacking 1/2 button endlessly clicking interface, just for in depth dialog options.

As for Bethesda RPGs LAWL. that is the best joke ive heard this week.

Albino Boo

Jun 14, 2010
thiosk said:
"to be loosed out of his prison"

Is that even remotely correct? What?

Loossed is correct but it is somewhat of an awkward construction, a better one would be, to be let loose out of his prision.

Ftaghn To You Too

Nov 25, 2009
viranimus said:
Ftaghn To You Too said:
No! Nonononono, you get all the shiny new RPGs and your Skyrims and your New Fallouts.

All we want is a good isometric RPG. Don't take this away from us, you monster.
Well if there is a market to support it, all well and good, I would not even think of trying to deny anyone their joy, but youve got Diablo 3, this, enhanced editions of Baulders gate, The likely possibility of Planescape being enhanced as well, Wasteland 2, there is a clear resurgance for late 90s PC gaming.

I simply cannot see the allure of it myself. To each their own. I know why I cant see it. I was firmly a console gamer from childhood onward and didnt play a PC RPG till the original diablo and really was not impressed. So I do not have the nostalgia goggles to endure the really bad visuals, lacking 1/2 button endlessly clicking interface, just for in depth dialog options.

As for Bethesda RPGs LAWL. that is the best joke ive heard this week.
I actually wasn't a gamer in the 90's, so I don't even have the nostalgia goggles as an excuse.

I guess I'm tired of how absolutely... shallow everything is, I guess. Morrowind was the best TES, Bioware was best back in the Baulder's Gate days, all that stuff. I want a real role playing game, where you actually have a role and can play it. Here you're a dickass inquisitor. I want the ability to torture people (but not using the Iron Maiden because it didn't exist, rage, lrn2history etc.), root out corruption, and defend the Holy Roman Empire But Not because that's what Inquisitors do. I want the millions of options for how to build your character. I want the long, rambling speeches about just the setting.

In short, I want to lose myself in a world again.

viranimus

Thread killer
Nov 20, 2009
Ftaghn To You Too said:
I actually wasn't a gamer in the 90's, so I don't even have the nostalgia goggles as an excuse.

I guess I'm tired of how absolutely... shallow everything is, I guess. Morrowind was the best TES, Bioware was best back in the Baulder's Gate days, all that stuff. I want a real role playing game, where you actually have a role and can play it. Here you're a dickass inquisitor. I want the ability to torture people (but not using the Iron Maiden because it didn't exist, rage, lrn2history etc.), root out corruption, and defend the Holy Roman Empire But Not because that's what Inquisitors do. I want the millions of options for how to build your character. I want the long, rambling speeches about just the setting.

True enough and well put.. but I think the disparity there is the type of world you lose yourself in.

We hear a lot about how old school CRPGs had so much more depth to them, but I really dont see it being there. See I played D1, D2, BG1, BG2, IWD, etc, but I did not personally find them to be this great gaming revelation.

What I think this boils down to is the difference between say.. a book and a film. Specifically lets compare it to Lord of the Rings. Both are phenomenal works in their own right, but in a sense they take the same material and appeal to different sensibilities. If you gravitate toward the book it normally has something to do with being lost in your own imagination filling in the blanks that a book does not inherently provide. If you gravitate more toward the films, your gravitating to the cinematic nuance of acting, cinematography and overall presentation.

You can lose yourself in either, but you become immersed in different things despite them being the same content. Isometric games allow you to use your imagination to fill in the blanks for certain aspects such as the chars being able to convey emotion in action and response. Modern 3d based games allow you to become immersed in the manner in which it is presented.

I guess being just as much a tv/film buff as I am a gamer, I am predisposed to things that allow me to focus on understanding emotions and motivations conveyed through non verbal means.

However honestly, it is a case of no right answer.

Scars Unseen

^ ^ v v < > < > B A
May 7, 2009
viranimus said:
Ftaghn To You Too said:

True enough and well put.. but I think the disparity there is the type of world you lose yourself in.

We hear a lot about how old school CRPGs had so much more depth to them, but I really dont see it being there. See I played D1, D2, BG1, BG2, IWD, etc, but I did not personally find them to be this great gaming revelation.
To be fair to your perceptions, if someone tried to sell you any of those other than maybe Baldur's Gate 2 as being deep, they were seriously misrepresenting the games. Diablo was never more than a clickfest, Icewind Dale was a story-light dungeon crawler, and Baldur's Gate wasn't known for being deep; it was known for being accessible and revitalizing the lagging RPG genre. If you want a deep isometric game, Planescape: Torment is the one to go to, but given your preferences, it may be the worst one since it has enough dialogue to popilate a novel, which does not seem to be the sort of presentation you are looking for.

I don't think that modern voice acted RPGs and ARPGs are inferior to the old isometric text-driven games of the past, but I do think they both have their place, and it's nice to see some people revisiting the subgenre.

viranimus

Thread killer
Nov 20, 2009
Scars Unseen said:
To be fair to your perceptions, if someone tried to sell you any of those other than maybe Baldur's Gate 2 as being deep, they were seriously misrepresenting the games. Diablo was never more than a clickfest, Icewind Dale was a story-light dungeon crawler, and Baldur's Gate wasn't known for being deep; it was known for being accessible and revitalizing the lagging RPG genre. If you want a deep isometric game, Planescape: Torment is the one to go to, but given your preferences, it may be the worst one since it has enough dialogue to popilate a novel, which does not seem to be the sort of presentation you are looking for.

I don't think that modern voice acted RPGs and ARPGs are inferior to the old isometric text-driven games of the past, but I do think they both have their place, and it's nice to see some people revisiting the subgenre.
Hrm.. Well just to clarify my tastes, I generally do prefer heavy narrative and have played other isometric RPGs including the heavy planescape and the not even completed van buren. But I also enjoy narrative heavy film as well. I still stand by my statement of a matter of perception, so I do not think that the point of view stems from simply not experiencing or having an aversion to a deep narrative. Like you said, they both have their place. I think what I was driving at is it does normally seem to follow that formula.

lancar

Aug 11, 2009
Looking at that trailer, it indeed looks like a game from 10 years ago.
Not saying it might not be good, but it just seems to me that if they'd bothered to make the game in english right off the bat it'd shave those 3 years off the dev time, and that probably would've made the game more attractive looking. Not by much, mind, but when being compared to titles like The Witcher 1&2 you need all the help you can get.

Lets see what they'll charge for it. If it's the standard 60$ price point, it's an easy miss for me.

(never thought i'd be complaining about grahpics. *sigh*)

ScruffyMcBalls

Apr 16, 2012
Holy crap, this looks badass! Cannot wait to get my hands on this. Been having an itch to play a grim and dirty isometric game for a while, and since Path of Exile is now in closed beta again for the next few months, I'm latching onto this.
Oh, and that soundtrack was awesome, anyone recognize if that was done specifically for the game or if it's a pre-existing song?

Auesis

Mar 10, 2011
Not my cup of tea, but looks like it's good at what it does. Hope it does well.

Albino Boo

Jun 14, 2010
Magichead said:
albino boo said:
thiosk said:

Loossed is correct but it is somewhat of an awkward construction, a better one would be, to be let loose out of his prision.
Even that construction is on the clunky side, "to be released from his prison" is the most likely version a native speaker would go with. So yes, I'll echo the hope that the translation team for the game was not "chump from the office with conversational internet troll English" as was apparently the case with the trailer :p

It's a little bit hilarious that the protagonist will be investigating "heinous crimes" given that he's supposed to be an Inquisitor, who pretty much set the benchmark for "scary torture-murder-rape story on the nightly-news"-level lunacy, but a proper isometric RPG might be worth it.

I think it has been translated professionally but the brief given to them has caused problems. The translation is designed be big, portentous and have a certain gravitas, hence the use of loosed rather than released, but you are right it ends up slightly comic. I hope its decent, but the 13 years leads me to think there has been either a lack of enthusiasm or a lack of focus. Neither of which bodes well for the game

MetalMagpie

Jun 13, 2011
albino boo said:
thiosk said:

I would go for "loosed from his prison" myself. It's a fairly natural thing to say whilst still sounding oldy-worldy.

Also ironic typo is ironic. ;)

thiosk

Sep 18, 2008
MetalMagpie said:
albino boo said:
thiosk said:

I would go for "loosed from his prison" myself. It's a fairly natural thing to say whilst still sounding oldy-worldy.

Also ironic typo is ironic. ;)
I am thinking "To be loosed of his prison" sounds better, and appears accurate to my eye.

yuval152

Jul 6, 2011
I wish they would make it like skyrim,but I hate games like the orignal fallouts so no for me.

Captcha:lunch time,it's 9 PM,captcha you so crazy.

TheKaduflyerSystem

Feb 15, 2011
I wouldn't say i'm interested, but I'm definitely intrigued; I'll probably pick this up if it gets to about £15, or if I see and hear some really good stuff about it.

veloper

Jan 20, 2009
It looks exactly like a diablo-clone.
TPLs are NOT "old-school" RPGs!

You can call oldschool when the RPG is turn-based and/or grid-based. Even RTWP with a full party is probably to recent to qualify, but I could let such one slide.

What we have here then is another diablo-clone or maybe something like Divine Divinity at best. New school.

Smooth Operator

Oct 5, 2010
Well it's safe to say no one saw this coming.

But the game is really strangely put together, sprite based gameplay from 10 years ago, effects from 5 years ago and CGI that might have been just finished.
As a fan of ye olden RPGs I'll check it out I just hope they got enough fantasy to it, because historic games aren't exactly the most entertaining thing out there.