Old-Time Rockers Don't Like Rock Band

Feb 13, 2008
ShredHead said:
Oooh, someone got up on the wrong side of bed this morning.
Look who's saying that quote. Now look at what The Stones did. Just mildly hypocritical for them to say anything about life choices, n'est pas?

ScarlettRage

May 13, 2009
hansari said:
Man, I wish I was a celebrity...just so I could pull statistics out of my ass. I'd be making stuff up like Ron Burgundy...
Malygris said:
"It irritates me having watched my kids do it - if they spent as much time practicing the guitar as learning how to press the buttons they'd be damn good by now," he said.
Learning how to read notes requires the same effort it takes as pressing a color right when it comes on screen?
depends how much you do it i suppose...

iamthehorde

Mar 2, 2009
Sexual Harassment Panda said:
Music games discourage kids from trying the real thing...but shooters encourage kids to try the real thing? Seems we get to claim anything we want without having to carry the burden of proving it. Did you know?...sports games make you fart.
yes, i thought so too. strange how most people who don´t associate with videogames feel free to criticize and blame shit to them from their point of view regardless of what they know about it or gamings demographic.

curlycrouton

Jul 13, 2008
Marq said:
This very much reflects the attitude I've held towards Guitar Hero/Rock Band from the beginning. And on the other hand, I also hate them for being bloody awful games.
I'd like to echo this statement wholeheartedly. When a game gets to the point where the player is simulating what can pretty easily be achieved in real life, I think it's gone too far.

Hence my burning hatred for The Sims.

gains

Jan 8, 2008
Sigh.

It's because rock music is HARD. You need a small group of like minded friends, several hundred dollars of gear apiece, a garage you can practice in without the cops getting on your ass, and hours and hours to work on your stuff. The best rockers in my high school were the guys who were still too scared of girls to start dating, so they had all of these things.

If they want to blame something, blame dance music or hip-hop. Music that can be made by stringing together a few free loops that came with you $30 music program in one afternoon. Lazy music. Now, don't get me wrong, that stuff wasn't always lazy music. There was a time that hip-hop artists had to spend hours sampling and splicing to get their beats, but now it all comes out of a bottle unless you're top-of-the-line talent with the money to make a bunch of lackeys do the hard work for you.

The popular styles of the day are lazy. There is still some good stuff in there and most audiences don't want to be challenged to listen, but video games aren't killing the music industry. They're doing that just fine on their own.

Lyri

Dec 8, 2008
Games like Manhunt are the reason why people aren't interested in Mass murder.

Lyri

Dec 8, 2008
The_root_of_all_evil said:
This is so funny for all the wrong reasons. Well done. :)
*jazzhands*
Ty ty, I'm here til 8 ladies and gentlemen, please make use of the bar and remember to drink responsibly.

curlycrouton

Jul 13, 2008
Wizzie said:
Games like Manhunt are the reason why people aren't interested in Mass murder.
Except that's a ridiculous analogy, because playing the guitar can't be compared to mass murder.

gains said:
Sigh.

It's because rock music is HARD. You need a small group of like minded friends, several hundred dollars of gear apiece, a garage you can practice in without the cops getting on your ass, and hours and hours to work on your stuff. The best rockers in my high school were the guys who were still too scared of girls to start dating, so they had all of these things.
Sigh.

No you don't. You just need to a give up a small amount of your time, a tenner for a decent acoustic guitar, and either some money for a teacher or a book for self-teaching. It's perfectly possible to be a pretty good guitarist in only three years.

Once you start getting good, then maybe invest in an electric guitar or something similar.

CoffeeOfDoom

Jun 3, 2009
zjpicks said:
I've tried learning how to play the guitar. I don't have the dexterity for it (or something). Rockband, like many other games, is my way of doing something that I'd like to do but can't for one reason or another.
This. My fingers are too short to play real guitar.

scotth266

Wait when did I get a sub
Jan 10, 2009
curlycrouton said:
Marq said:
This very much reflects the attitude I've held towards Guitar Hero/Rock Band from the beginning. And on the other hand, I also hate them for being bloody awful games.
I'd like to echo this statement wholeheartedly. When a game gets to the point where the player is simulating what can pretty easily be achieved in real life, I think it's gone too far.
Games like Guitar Hero let people who CAN'T play guitar have a brief glimpse of a dream, just like Karaoke games give people the brief belief that they can sing with the best of 'em.

If anything, it should be seen as a motivator: a "Hey, you CAN do this with enough effort: you just need to be willing to invest the time" sort of deal, and not a block towards learning.

EDIT: I would actually like to practice acoustic guitar myself: but right now I don't really have the time to spare.

curlycrouton

Jul 13, 2008
scotth266 said:
curlycrouton said:
Marq said:
Games like Guitar Hero let people who CAN'T play guitar have a brief glimpse of a dream, just like Karaoke games give people the brief belief that they can sing with the best of 'em.

If anything, it should be seen as a motivator: a "Hey, you CAN do this with enough effort: you just need to be willing to invest the time" sort of deal.
But the player almost invariably won't, and will most likely think "Hey, this feels like I'm playing guitar, and I don't have to put any effort in. I'll stick with this".

And for the record, I despise karaoke.

scotth266

Wait when did I get a sub
Jan 10, 2009
curlycrouton said:
But the player almost invariably won't, and will most likely think "Hey, this feels like I'm playing guitar, and I don't have to put any effort in. I'll stick with this".

And for the record, I despise karaoke.
If these people were so half-hearted, odds are they wouldn't get into the industry anyway.

I honestly don't get why people don't like karaoke, since I always wind up having to play vocals on Rock Band.

Red Zeppelin

Jul 7, 2009
It's a crying shame that loads of kids would rather be playing Rock Band than picking up an Instrument and actually learning to play. On the other hand, the tracklists can introduce kids to cool music, which can only be a good thing.

Arassar

Nov 25, 2008
Why do so many people assume that just because a person enjoys playing Guitar Hero or Rock Band, they'd enjoy playing real instruments? The processes are completely different, as are the rewards gleaned and the time, money, and effort invested. Just because a person enjoys spending $150 on Rock Band or Guitar Hero and then playing it does NOT mean that a person would enjoy spending at least twice that for a really crappy guitar and an amplifier than then practicing with that guitar and amplifier for a couple of years until they could actually play something that didn't sound like a cat getting run over by a golf cart. This is not math, and even if it were math, those variables wouldn't be remotely similar, nonetheless equal. So please, people, stop making these assumptions and just freakin' let it go.

Plus, this guy is 72 years old. Has he ever even touched a computer?

Double plus, my little brother started teaching himself because he loved the original Guitar Hero. Right now he's using a B.C. Rich Mockingbird which cost him like $400. Not me, though... I don't really give a crap.

Littaly

Jun 26, 2008
Personally I think that they are wrong. And I base that on the fact that I about a fourth of all the guys in my class each play in a band and are somewhat serious about it (not saying they're they'll be famous or anything but that's beside the point). Apart from that I also know a whole lot of people who play instruments just for lulz. None of them play GH/RB.

I also know a lot of people who are huge GH/RB fans, but I can't really see any of them picking up a real instrument regardless of whether or not they play guitar games.

I guess the point I'm trying to make here is that we can't round up everyone below 20 as "kids who play Guitar Hero and refuse to play real instruments". Sure there may be some of them and it may be a natural assumption to make, but I think that if you look a bit closer you'll see that reality is (thankfully) not that simple.

Sixties Spidey

Elite Member
Jan 24, 2008
Old Time Rockers. Old Time. The best thing about them when it comes to this bullshit argument is that eventually they will keel over and die.