Omerta: City of Gangsters Review - An Offer You Can Refuse

Greg Tito

PR for Dungeons & Dragons
Sep 29, 2005
Omerta: City of Gangsters Review - An Offer You Can Refuse

I?m going to make you an offer you should refuse.

Read Full Article

nexus

May 30, 2012
It's a shame, because this looked really good and I was looking forward to it. I forget where I read it, but someone had said it is basically like "Playing Monopoly by yourself.". Reading your review, it seems to be exactly that.

Definitely some strange decisions made on this one.

Phlakes

Elite Member
Mar 25, 2010
This always felt like the kind of game you'd see for $5 at Best Buy, which made the hype it got a really weird juxtaposition. I guess my instincts aren't completely off.

Adam Jensen_v1legacy

I never asked for this
Sep 8, 2011
I don't know why some people were even excited for this. It always looked like a very shallow game with little to offer.

Aussie502

Apr 19, 2011
While the music was great, it got repetitive really quickly. After half an hour I would start to get headaches from listening to the same thing over and over again.

IamLEAM1983

Neloth's got swag.
Aug 22, 2011
I'm vaguely reminded of Gangsters II - which is much, much more better than this. It's old as all Hell now and probably Abandonware, but it's basically an isometric game that combines elements of Commandos and city-management, if memory serves me right. You roll around Chicago in the twenties, doing very much what Omerta sets out to do - and fails.

Norix596

Nov 2, 2010
A shame - I was kind of looking forward to it - and THAT is why you never pre-order stuff before you know if the game is any good (Hi, Jimquisition!)

SomebodyNowhere

Dec 9, 2009
I played the demo and it was decent although the combat felt incredibly awkward. I still might pick it up at some point way down the line when steam has a special on it.

tangoprime

Renegade Interrupt
May 5, 2011
IamLEAM1983 said:
I'm vaguely reminded of Gangsters II - which is much, much more better than this. It's old as all Hell now and probably Abandonware, but it's basically an isometric game that combines elements of Commandos and city-management, if memory serves me right. You roll around Chicago in the twenties, doing very much what Omerta sets out to do - and fails.
I loved that game way-back-when (right around 2000-1 right?). I remember buying up tenement blocks and rolling groups of hitmen with tommy guns to do drivebys on rivals' businesses. Good stuff.

tautologico

e^(i * pi) + 1 = 0
Apr 5, 2010
If I were this game's publisher I would lift a quote from this review:

"I can't stop playing Omerta" -- Gret Tito, escapistmagazine.com

:)

Greg Tito

PR for Dungeons & Dragons
Sep 29, 2005
tautologico said:
If I were this game's publisher I would lift a quote from this review:

"I can't stop playing Omerta" -- Gret Tito, escapistmagazine.com

:)
SHHHHHH. Don't give them any ideas.

Ohlookit'sMatty

Sep 11, 2008
This reminds me of the old "Gangsters: organized crime" games, which I loved, only not as good // In fact I might just try and install them and relive the 1920s as they where meant to be

-M