Omerta: City of Gangsters Sounds a Lot Like Scarface

Karloff

Oct 19, 2009
Omerta: City of Gangsters Sounds a Lot Like Scarface

Tropico developer Haemimont Games will make you the bootleg baron of Atlantic City.

Ahh, sunny gangster boss [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/trailers/2849-Tropico-4-Teaser], struggling to make a killing in The World's Playground.

"Taking the role of a fresh-from-the-boat immigrant," promises the developer, "with dreams of the big life, the player will work his way up the criminal hierarchy of 1920's Atlantic City. Starting with small jobs, his character recruits a gang and expands his empire by taking territory from other gangsters." This version of Atlantic City is intended to be historically accurate, right down to the least landmark, and gameplay is RPG progression through a turn-based-strategy gameplay system. There's stealth as well as cover-based shooting, "and you can earn 'clean' money, or surround yourself in dirty money, earned through criminal activities that range from bootlegging to bank-robbery." There will be single player as well as competitive and co-op modes.

This will be a PC and Xbox 360 release, sometime later this year; autumn, according to the official webpage. You should check it out [http://www.cityofgangsters.com/us/#!/game], but turn the jukebox on when you do.

Source: Kotaku [http://www.cityofgangsters.com/us/#!/game]

John the Gamer

May 2, 2010
Reminds me of an old Eidos game I've got lying around; "Gangsters: Organized Crime" from 1998.

In fact, I'm pretty sure this is going to be a polished-up version of that game, judging by the trailer...

Well, at least it looks like a fun game.

SquidVicious

Apr 20, 2011
Country
United States
Boardwalk Empire: The Game... obvious visual references aside colour me intrigued. It's been a good long while since I've played a game like this, but if there's booze, violence, and tits count me in. Also good call of Gangster: Organized Crime, never played the game myself but I remember looking at it back in '98 at my local ebgames and deciding on Tex Murphy: Pandora Directive instead.

Cousin_IT

Feb 6, 2008
Watching that reminded me I still have the disc for Gangsters 2: Vendetta somewhere. Though with all the building that seemed to be going on, it looks like it might be a cross between Gangsters & Constructor. I'm interested because there hasn't been a good rts/rpg crime game since Gangland, that I'm aware of.

TotalerKrieger

Nov 12, 2011
I've missed strategy games like this...I hope they polish the combat animations however, they look a little buggy. Combat in the recent Tropico games was very poor in both visuals and AI, so some major improvements are required if the devs are using the same engine.

Images

Apr 8, 2010
Oh hell yes. I've been waiting for a mob sim for years. I was OBSESSED with "Gangsters: organised Crime". Its sequel on the other hand was pure arse gravy.

Kalypso seems to be making a name for itself by being the nostalgic company. They did a REALLY old school adventure game with Ceville, they did that well meaning but flawed Jagged Alliance: Back in Action, Dark looks like a homage to Vampire The Masquerade: Bloodlines and Tropico is just crack to a gamer raised on similar fare. I like that. Though I do wish they had more time on projects to do polish and tweaking.