Omikron Available Free in Honor of David Bowie

Conrad Zimmerman

Dec 24, 2013
Omikron Available Free in Honor of David Bowie

//cdn.themis-media.com/media/global/images/library/deriv/1256/1256372.pngSquare Enix offers free copies of game starring the late artist.

From music and fashion, to film and video games, there are few parts of our popular culture that were not touched in some way by the recently deceased David Bowie. Today, Square Enix is offering fans a free PC copy of the 1999 game featuring Bowie in a starring role, Omikron: The Nomad Soul.

Free copies are being offered through the Square Enix online store [https://t.co/vshkDLqqVG], with the use of the promo code "omikron" at checkout. The offer is available from now until January 22 or "until supplies last," which suggests you may want to get there sooner rather than later should demand outstrip whatever possible allocation of Steam codes Square Enix may have arbitrarily applied to this promotion.

Omikron: The Nomad Soul, the debut title from Heavy Rain and Beyond: Two Souls developer Quantic Dream, is a sci-fi adventure game about the investigation of a serial killer in a futuristic city. The game features a reincarnation mechanic which allows players, on death, to assume control of a different character in the world. Bowie performs as two characters in the game and contributed much of the soundtrack.

[gallery=5430]

Source: Twitter [https://twitter.com/SquareEnix/status/688032055700111360]

TheSchizoid

Oct 28, 2009
Aaaaand the site hangs on the processing order window. This could take a while. Keep spinning little wheel!

L3D

Jul 15, 2008
Checkout gives only these countries as options, would have been nice to know before reading TOS and making an account.
Anguilla
Antigua And Barbuda
Argentina
Aruba
Bahamas
Barbados
Belize
Bermuda
Bolivia
Brazil
Canada
Cayman Islands
Chile
Colombia
Costa Rica
Cura?ao
Dominica
Dominican Republic
Ecuador
El Salvador
Falkland Islands (Malvinas)
French Guiana
Greenland
Grenada
Guadeloupe
Guatemala
Guyana
Haiti
Honduras
Jamaica
Martinique
Mexico
Montserrat
Nicaragua
Panama
Paraguay
Peru
Saint Kitts And Nevis
Saint Lucia
Saint Pierre And Miquelon
Saint Vincent And The Grenadines
Sint Maarten
South Georgia And The South Sandwich Islands
Suriname
Trinidad And Tobago
Turks And Caicos Islands
Uruguay
Venezuela
Virgin Islands, British
Of course you could lie who and where you come from, but meh.

MatsJn

Battlefield control, terminated.
Nov 30, 2009
L3D said:
Checkout gives only these countries as options, would have been nice to know before reading TOS and making an account.

/snip

Of course you could lie who and where you come from, but meh.
Link in OP is for the NA store, If your country is not listed, try the EU-store https://store.eu.square-enix.com/emea_europe/games/pc-windows-download/Omikron-The-Nomad-Soul.php

Kotaro

Desdinova's Successor
Feb 3, 2009
Senneca said:
I was able to get a free copy via Square Enix store, and am playing it on steam running Windows 7 (64 bit) with no issues so far.

The graphics are bad, even for the time, and the controls are pretty wonky. That being said, it's an interesting game so far, and I'm having fun exploring the world. I've already heard one Bowie song, written specifically for this game, I'd never heard before. That alone makes it worth a playthrough to me.

Very cool of Square Enix to do this, as I'd never even heard of this game before. Refreshing to see a game company show a little humanity for a change.

I continue to be amazed at the sheer volume of Bowie's work, let alone the variety of media formats he used. I'm still surprised by how much I've been affected by his death, but it's comforting to know there's still so much out there he's left for us to discover. RIP, and thank you, David Bowie <3
I rather love the story of how David Bowie came to create the soundtrack for Omikron. David Cage felt that Bowie's music was a perfect fit for the game's setting, so he invited Bowie into a meeting to discuss licensing some of his songs for use in the game. Bowie showed up, and immediately told Cage that he wasn't interested in licensing music for a video game. Writing an original soundtrack for it, on the other hand...

Dango

Feb 11, 2010
Pretty cool that they are doing this, especially because they're not trying to promote anything like another David Cage game.

Though that's probably because no one wants to buy a David Cage game.

Mar 26, 2008
I really liked this game. Had it on the Dreamcast. It collapses under the weight of it's own ambition after a while, but I admire the game for trying to pull of the mix of genres. I liked it more than Indigo Prophecy, which wasn't bad.

Evonisia

Your sinner, in secret
Jun 24, 2013
I'm actually interested in seeing whether Bowie offered an opinion on Omikron, or indeed the later Quantic Dream games after haven worked on the former title.