On Anonymous

Feb 13, 2008
It's amusing that of the many conspiracy theories around, Anonymous may be the only one with any truth to it.

That and the Oribital Mind Control Lasers, which is why I wear my tinfoil hat.

Awexsome

Were it so easy
Mar 25, 2009
I guess the big question recently is if Anonymous should become more organized, and thereby possibly losing their identity to weed out people who are in it just for themselves (like these hackers might've been) or stay as they are. Keeping the same system they were founded on but being liable for a lot of things that can get them in trouble.

Personally I hope they decide to organize a bit better so that there can be some kind of accountability inside the group itself. Otherwise the best solution if this is the result of anonymity at it's purest is to get rid of anonymity outright for the internet. Attach every user online with their true persona. Take the steps to hold people accountable for their actions.

Cousin_IT

Feb 6, 2008
Through the magic of the internet, Anonymous has found an interesting solution to this problem, which is to have an organization where nobody knows anyone else. Normal police methods don't work on them, because they don't have any relevant information to share. Even if the cops pierce the veil of secrecy and locate a single member of the group, that arrest won't impair the organization as a whole. Worse, it forms an investigative dead-end.
Except this isn't new, nor does it require the internet.

Apr 28, 2008
Shamus Young said:
It's exactly the show I would make if I made a video series. And was less of a crank. And had artistic ability. And more talent. And could talk like a chipmunk.)
I don't know, I thought your Drawn to Knowledge videos were great.

As for Anonymous, well I really don't have much to say on the subject. All it probably is is some hackers hacking and blaming it on Anonymous. Honestly, I'm surprised everyone's focusing on Anon, since another group, called "LulzSec" or something like that, are far more likely to have hacked Sony.

Avaholic03

May 11, 2009
I don't think Anonymous is nearly as dangerous as people imagine them to be. Yes, they hack websites and interfere with the normal operation of the web, but is that really worse than other types of protesters? Think of the picket lines that block government buildings, shut down companies, or blockade traffic during rush hour.
What anonymous does is on a whole new, international level. They aren't just shutting down a building or a road in one town. They're potentially affecting millions of lives. Also, the PSN attack really outlines the danger of a disorganized group, where smaller groups can splinter off that might not have the same ideals or boundaries as the main group.

But the most important distinction is what it takes to be in each respective group. An Anonymous member can casually enter a few keystrokes and run a script to do pretty much whatever they want. A REAL protester actually has to take hours out of their day and risk arrest or injury. The difference means that the REAL protest will only happen if people are passionate enough about a cause. Anonymous can pretty much take up any cause, no matter how absurd, because of the extremely small cost in time and effort. So their actions can be motivated by anything from boredom to revenge, rather than actually trying to make a positive change to improve quality of life.

bombadilillo

Jan 25, 2011
Clipclop said:
HankMan said:
Clipclop said:
HankMan said:
I think Anonymous is better than other types of protesters because you can't just call the police and have them driven off. If Anonymous has a problem with you, you're gunna have to listen.
And what if the message is completely wrong and spiteful? What if they have no message and instead just feel like trolling you to oblivion? What do you do than?
Stop watching Fox News, that's what I do.
To bad you can't "stop" anon when they have you in their sights. I'm sure plenty of people wished they could turn them off, eh?
Yeah, Hal Turner and Chris Forcand were harrassed.

Low Key

May 7, 2009
Shamus, if people protested in the middle of the street, they'd get arrested just the same. They'd just get arrested for a petty misdemeanor and released the next day, where as protesting online by taking down a website is a felony.

Mainly, it because lawmakers don't know dick about how the internet works. It's a series of tubes after all.

Starke

Mar 6, 2008
HankMan said:
Clipclop said:
HankMan said:
Clipclop said:
HankMan said:
I think Anonymous is better than other types of protesters because you can't just call the police and have them driven off. If Anonymous has a problem with you, you're gunna have to listen.
And what if the message is completely wrong and spiteful? What if they have no message and instead just feel like trolling you to oblivion? What do you do than?
Stop watching Fox News, that's what I do.
To bad you can't "stop" anon when they have you in their sights. I'm sure plenty of people wished they could turn them off, eh?
Best way to turn of Anonymous? Don't be an asshole in the first place.
Right, because that was the problem for the girl Anonymous went after a couple years ago, she was being an "asshole" by not taking off her shirt when they told her to. Right.

And then of course there's Justin Bieber who was attacked for being Justin Bieber... that makes sense. Okay, on that case, I don't really care, except there was no provoking event.

And let's not forget Gene Simmons, who dared to speak his mind, lending voice to the very right they claimed to cherish "freedom of speech". Of course, like all hypocrites, Anon learned it's much easier to fight for "freedom of speech for people who agree with me" rather than actually giving a shit about ideology.

Shamus Young

Jul 7, 2008
Clipclop said:
Shamus Young said:
Experienced Points: On Anonymous

Shamus considers the Anonymous phenomenon.

Read Full Article
And again you sympathize with a group of bullies. What is it with the escapist and going head over heels to defend the name of anonymous? Are you part of the collective? Do they have you scared enough that you can tackle the real issues they impose?

Seriously, I'm tired of these lopsided arguments you people keep coming up with to shine them as "the good guys" its sickening. And guess what? if you even listen to the voice of your readers in the forums, you will see they aren't buying it any longer.
In what way was I defending them? I never agreed with their cause or said that they were doing good. The closest I came to saying nice things was when I pointed out that they weren't actually dangerous.

And then at the end of your comment you presume to speak for everyone. I'll let you ponder that one on your own.