On Arty 2D Platformers

Yahtzee Croshaw

Aug 8, 2007
On Arty 2D Platformers

Little children, big heads: Yahtzee investigates some artistic 2D platformers.

Read Full Article

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
The great thing about 2D arty platformers too, is, they are so simple, and easy to make...and depending how artsy you want to be, depends on how much content you actually add...

Im not a fan of them myself really, but, I do see why people try to make so many of them!

Ewyx

Dec 3, 2008
What? No Knytt [http://nifflas.ni2.se/?page=Knytt]?! I am disappointed.

Babitz

Jan 18, 2010
I started actively gaming fairly late since I was poor; I got my first PC in '99. so I never bought the whole "let's get some cash from the NES kids" platform thing. That and the fact that I suck at platformers.

Andronicus

Terror Australis
Mar 25, 2009
Yahtzee said:
But society has expectations of us. Move out of your mum's house. Get a job in a dog food factory. Figure out how mortgages work and impregnate something. Join the queue. Fill in forms. Society stands tapping its foot like an impatient nanny waiting for us to grow up and all we want to do is live in our twelve-year-old selves playing Sonic with our lithe, athletic bodies and efficient metabolisms.
Did anyone else hear The Logical Song while reading this?
"We'd like to feel you're acceptable, respectable, oh presentable, a vegetable..."

Pelemus-McSoy

Aug 6, 2009
Art games can be hit or miss. There are some art games that are charming and interesting, but the message seems lost or uncertain ("The Majesty of Colors" on Newgrounds for example). Others are too simple to be really survive in the world of the XBLA ("Pray for Good Fortune" on Newgrounds for example).

I think art games should stay small scale on free game sites. That way they can reach more people and people won't feel cheated for overly simple gameplay, subpar graphics, and short play time.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
The Lucidity comments on the girl with no self preservation cracked me up.

Seemed like an interesting game, though.

PJ Winterbottom seemed like a game similar to the ones described. I loved the artistic asthetics, even if the game didn't draw me in.

Foxy_Stoat

Nov 28, 2009
I can totally agree with most of this article, but I wonder if Yahtzee took a look at some of the free 2d platformers available all over the internet. Some of my favourite platforming games i've just found on Newgrounds or on Armour Games.

Lots of them are made purely as art (although sometimes its just pretentious to the point of wanted to smack the beret of the developers head) and involve some truly wonderful puzzle challenges. Like Limbo lots of them have a case of ending when the ideas run out but i still consider that to be a good thing. Nothing spoils food like stagnation...

TylerC

Nov 12, 2008
I laughed at the "...Or Hiroshima," and enjoyed the Cave Story review.

I'm not exactly an old gamer, I'm only 16, and the first videogame I can remember playing was Sonic the Hedgehog 2 on the Sega Genesis so I guess you could say I did partially grow up on the 2D platformer so nostalgia could play a part in the success of these games. I think gamers also appreciate indie developers or some guy who just made a game by himself, much, much more than they would a big game studio. It's like when you hear people say "These graphics suck," or "It's too linear," on big name titles. You will almost never hear them say that about one of these indie platformers.

I've only really played Braid, so I can't say too much from experience, I'm not usually the type that's all about these "artsy" indie games.

I definitely like these posts more than ZP for whatever reason.

El_Moss

Jul 21, 2009
I loved Braid so much when I played it! :D

From the art and the music to the level design it all seemed so perfect, and the artsy-ness and hidden meanings and such in Braid are like my idea of sex.

Huffman_D

Dec 9, 2009
Hey Yahtzee, have you ever played Deadly Premonition.

http://www.amazon.com/Deadly-Premonition-Xbox-360/dp/B002WSR8BC/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=videogames&qid=1281474340&sr=8-1

that's bargain price right there!

i know this is off-topic a little bit, but after playing the game i find it weird you've never mentioned it

Denmarkian

Feb 1, 2008
Another "childhood innocence lost" game that I can think of is Heart of Darkness, where you play a boy who is running through a world that is, quite literally, trying to kill him while he quests to save his dog (his only friend) from the darkness and its evil.

Mezzo.

Nov 19, 2009
Ewyx said:
What? No Knytt [http://nifflas.ni2.se/?page=Knytt]?! I am disappointed.
Quite frankly, while it did have a bit of a story, there really wasn't much to it other than "Get off planet ?". There really weren't any relatable characters or interesting plot devices to it.

rayskyrift

All that is man
Oct 29, 2009
It seems a little hard sometimes to divorce the subject of art from pretentiousness in 2d platformers nowadays, especially in more indie titles. Seems like video games have entered that adolescent age that music was and still to a large degree is in. It's all hip and stuff to like the small guy because he or she drones on about some abstract concept. It's also sad to see that like the music industry, we're now getting flooded with games like this.

Supp

Nov 17, 2009
The advantage of games with low graphic intensity on computers is that you don't need a brand new computer to play the game.