On Generic Games

AmrasCalmacil

Jul 19, 2008
I certainly liked the thought of your little example, although I'd imagine it would be a novelty, run around the city for a while, blast stuff with your giant laser, then... Do it again? Oh bugger. It would definately need something stopping it from not getting old fast.

At least include a chainsaw.

I hope I'm not the only person who expected you to say something other than 'tongue' when mentioning what the love interests throat was bound for.
Cough.

Valiance

Jan 14, 2009
I lol'd like 5 times while reading this, especially that someone else has heard of Chasm, especially that he understands EVE is not a Wing Commander / Tachyon the Fringe, especially that X3 is not easily accessible to anyone who wasn't already a fan (but that doesn't bother me, eh?) and especially "Quake, but not shit, "Doom with jumping" etc.

Anyway, I agree completely, I'm tired of regenning health, I enjoy carrying 20 different weapons, and I liked it when finding a key-card was more badass than "doing the pre-rendered cinematic sequence where I'm trapped in this room for 2 minutes while shit comes through the door."

Of course, the only problem I see with doing new games in old manners is that someone might go and say it stagnates the industry/genre, but I don't give a fuck because I'd be having fun. Which is why I'd like a Serious Sam 3, I'm glad they're remaking the old ones with their new engine, I'd like a new Duke Nukem, I'd like a new Doom, etc...

But I know they'll probably throw these "conventional action game features" into it and it won't be that good. :/

Arkhangelsk

Mar 1, 2009
I like the concept of mindless shooters. If you can't make a good story, don't make one at all. I hear they're releasing the remake of Serious Sam, meaning brutal, bloody, over-sized gun using murder with high definition graphics up the ass. I'm gonna love that game.

The Kangaroo

Feb 24, 2009
The'll start making plain shooter fun and then you'll be crying for more story and more innovative gameplay and the process will start again

Gunner_Guardian

Jul 15, 2009
Something has to take up the majority of the gaming market. Today it was shooters, yesterday it was performers and tomorrow it could be something else. I do agree we need some more simple shooters like painkiller (because painkiller was awesome).

Although once those become popular we'll be complaining about how there isn't enough "deep" shooters...

This problem really will never get solved.

Lvl 64 Klutz

Crowsplosion!
Apr 8, 2008
"Is it possible that a genre could die out just because it's too easy to make? That developers would want to make use of all the money and advanced rendering technology at their disposal and classic-style shooters just don't excite the designer's imagination anymore? It's possible. It's certainly what seems to have happened with space-sims. There hasn't been a mainstream, space-based, flight sim in ages, because you only have to render some ships, some floating rocks and a fuckload of empty void. Just about the only thing covering that niche right now is EVE Online, which is a little inaccessible to anyone with a boredom threshold shorter than sixteen years.*"

I agree. Which is why I'm watching Jumpgate: Evolution like a hawk.

WindKnight

Quiet, Odd Sort.
Legacy
Jul 8, 2009
Cephiro
Country
United Kingdom
There was one space-sim game out there somewhat recently: Project Sylpheed on the 360.

While not a Freespace or X-wing level classic, it kept me entertained, and let me Itano Circus to my hearts content.

squid5580

Elite Member
Feb 20, 2008
Gears of War with a grappling hook? Are you sure you didn't mean Lost Planet with the grappling hook? Or GOW with a cover system?

Anyways you could try GI Joe Rise of the Cobra. It is a mindless shooter. And it won't burn your retinas like EDF 2017 will. The blood effects and insect saliva that fills the screen is really hard on the eyes simply because they chose some neon orange color.

Daruth_Winterwood

Aug 29, 2009
Just goes to show how much effort Ron Gilbert, Tim Schafer, Steve Purcell etc etc went to to make the original games good.

Stalk3rchief

Sep 10, 2008
I hate how every time what seems to me to be Common Sense is written out, and people act like it's the most amazing and insightful thing to grace literature. I don't know if you'll even read this [I'm sure you get more than enough replies] and I'm not discrediting you in any way. I'm simply discrediting the intelligence of some of your duller fans.
Every article of yours I've read has thrown out information and opinions me and my friends have shared for at least a decade now, and yet people eat it up.
Not I'm just repeating myself.
Just keep doing what your doing, making common sense that much more common.

VGFreak1225

Dec 21, 2008
Well, with Serious Sam coming to XBLA, hopefully it will get support and more developers will pay attention to those kinds of shooters again. I've only played the demo of Painkiller, but it was a lot of fun, (outside of the fact that half the time I run it, it plays at twice the speed it should) and I'll probably fully purchase it soon.

Incidentally, I've also played the demo of AAA!(etc.) and its awesome.

Avaholic03

May 11, 2009
It's a little ironic that a reviewer who looks down on multiplayer is so high on a concept that's prevalent in most multiplayer games: simplicity. You want a hoard of enemies to mow down with a crazy assortment of guns? I think that's the point of just about every deathmatch game type. Just mute all the trash-talking 12-year-olds and have yourself a great time. It's even more challenging when it's real people rather than predictable, stupid AI.

Swaki

Apr 15, 2009
i purchased AAAaaaAAAaaaaAaaaaaAAAaAa and yer its quite fun.
also i believe they are making a new serious sam.

yourbeliefs

Bored at Work
Jan 30, 2009
VGFreak1225 said:
Well, with Serious Sam coming to XBLA, hopefully it will get support and more developers will pay attention to those kinds of shooters again. I've only played the demo of Painkiller, but it was a lot of fun, (outside of the fact that half the time I run it, it plays at twice the speed it should) and I'll probably fully purchase it soon.

Incidentally, I've also played the demo of AAA!(etc.) and its awesome.
The Painkiller speed thing can happen if you have a dual/multi core system. I had that same issue. You need to set the program's processor affinity to just 1 core and it should run fine.
I also had similar issues when I played Psychonauts on my PC.

IDBash

Sep 4, 2009
I think you hit the worst trend a couple weeks back with anti-heroes... GAAAAA I hate this latest trend in EVERYTHING from popular manga to games... I want a true hero! Give me one that I don't want to hate... that way when he dies I actually care! Seriously why can't they make a game where the hero is just that... the hero! Maybe he has 1 fatal flaw, but he does not need to be annoying or emo or anything.

Here is a pitch.. Guy hates evil, guy kills evil, guy dies combatting evil, guy's girlfriend/brother picks up where he left off in vengence of his death and wins... is it soooo hard???

Also, I would say L4D is a monster-spam game... I thought it was the most original concept on a monster-spam game by letting the players play as the infected. But what do I know? :D

Stardude82

Mar 27, 2008
I agree with Yahtzee that 3D and console co-development has nearly destroyed gaming. Spend any time in the Fallout crowd and its impossible not to pick up a thin conformal coating of hate for Fallout 3.

Fallout 3 while very good, took out the things which made Fallout Fallout and replaced it with homogenized goo. While you could enslave people (including children), it left out the sleazy, tawdry and sometimes homoerotic sexual aspects of the game as well as the ability to attack the children. It dumbed down the skills system and could be easily beaten as a mindless FPS in a few hours. There's a good amount of "stuff", but the interaction with NPC's was sparse and limited by comparison. The choice in opening doors and safes was generally limited to lock-picking or hacking.

How much would we all have loved FO3 to have been a sprite based, isometric, turn based game which was deep in play with many voiceless NPCs to interact with.

Too bad people are fixed on "better grafix" and don't want to read since they don't equate to better games.

Hexenwolf

Sep 25, 2008
Stalk3rchief said:
I hate how every time what seems to me to be Common Sense is written out, and people act like it's the most amazing and insightful thing to grace literature. I don't know if you'll even read this [I'm sure you get more than enough replies] and I'm not discrediting you in any way. I'm simply discrediting the intelligence of some of your duller fans.
Every article of yours I've read has thrown out information and opinions me and my friends have shared for at least a decade now, and yet people eat it up.
Not I'm just repeating myself.
Just keep doing what your doing, making common sense that much more common.
Haven't you heard? "Common sense" is anything but.

I'd have thought that would be common sense by now...