On the fence about pre-ordering Dark Souls

figday

Mar 22, 2011
aw crap. yeah GFWL is there. but hell, im totally gonna buy the game. out of respect for From Software for actually listening to us.

aww man, i just hope its still playable :/

Sizzle Montyjing

Pronouns - Slam/Slammed/Slammin'
Apr 5, 2011
dancinginfernal said:
I recall hearing something about them not using GFWL anymore. Was this false?

Don't ask for sauce, I don't remember where I heard.
That would appear to be false.
Got this from the steam page of Dark Souls-
Additional: Online play requires software installation of and log-in to Games For Windows - LIVE

So yeah :/

Exius Xavarus

Casually hardcore. :}
May 19, 2010
The only pre-order bonuses that Dark Souls got was for the physical copies of the game last year that were automatically upgraded to Collector's Edition. There are no in-game pre-order goodies to be had. There's no real need to pre-order it. I certainly wouldn't be pre-ordering, that's for sure. Not because I already have a CE Dark Souls, but I wouldn't pay for it in advance on PC in general.

DustyDrB

Made of ticky tacky
Jan 19, 2010
Not pre-ordering doesn't mean you'll never buy it. It should be a nail-biting decision. Just wait until you hear how the port turns out. That shouldn't take long. As you may have noticed if you have spent much time on the internet, such news tends to spread quickly.

Not being a true PC gamer - I have a Mac (I bought it in 2008 when I wasn't gaming much. And still...it was a stupid decision. No need to preach to me) and mainly play old games on it via Wine - I don't have any experience with GFWL. But I've heard enough that I can understand it is legitimate to consider it a deterrent when deciding if you want to buy a game or not.

That said, I encourage more leniency is this case. Basically, the one big weakness in PC gaming nowadays is the relative lack of major Japanese publisher/developer support. FromSoftware has been open and honest about their inexperience and struggles with porting the game over. But if the game does well, there is the chance they take the platform seriously from now on. And maybe other Japanese devs/pubs will take notice as well. From and Namco-Bandai has already proven they listen to potential consumers. That's the whole reason why this is happening in the first place.

So I understand if you decide to withhold your purchase. But again, I think it may be better in the long-term if you do buy the game and add your constructive criticism to the devs.
SmashLovesTitanQuest said:
OT: You'll probably want to wait to see how the port turns out. If it's as awful as Risen 2 on consoles you don't want to spend money on it.
But again, this is true. I can't fault anyone for not wanting to pay for a shitty port.