On the PC Master Race and the Language Police

Kingjackl

Nov 18, 2009
Whenever I see "PC Master Race" used unironically in an elitist context, it's always connected to intellectual/financial elitism, rather than racial. The whole "you don't have the time/money/technical know-how to build and maintain a dedicated gaming PC? lol peasant!" thing. And while platform jingoism of any sort is a bad attitude to have, there's usually not much greater political context behind it than getting defensive over the method of gaming you're committed to. Which is understandable given how expensive gaming can be as a hobby.

So the PC Gamer article attempting to liken "PC Master Race" to legitimate hate-speech is laughable to me. I can get behind encouraging people not to take it so seriously, or turn it into an argument, but linking it to the Nazis? No, you've lost me.

Cidward

Jul 7, 2014
Ralancian said:
I've only used it in a self-deprecating way simply because I'm a PC gamer by personal circumstance not because it's the better 'medium'.
The idea of someone using it seriously as a point of pride boggles my mind, but those people certainly exist. It's the kind of "My [NERD] is better than your [NERD]!" that just makes me shake my head. I don't play seriously on a console anymore simply because my time for games has declined, and my laptop is more convenient. And I find the "console wars" ultimately self-defeating for the consumer, but that doesn't make me hate on games machines. I owned a lot of games machines in my time and might again, if the mood strikes.

In any case, I thought the article was well-put. I understand the context of "master race" because I paid attention in history class and I understand how toxic the concept of eugenics was to the world. I also understand how pretty much every hyperbolic debate on the Internet inevitably results in a bunch of flailing arms and cries of "ZOMG NAZI!!!!!!!1111ONEONEELEVEN," and THAT is a state of mind worth mocking.

Aesir23

Jul 2, 2009
WouldYouKindly said:
fieryshadowcard said:
micuu said:
I've only ever used the term in self-deprecation. Are there people who actually take "PC master race" completely seriously? Because I've never met them.
Stick around in this thread for about 30 posts. I'm sure you'll find two or three getting the party started.

OT: "Suck it, Dolfy" needs to be put on a T-shirt like right now. Get on that merchandising, Escapist.
So explaining why the current consoles are a bit shit is elitism? I feel like I get called out for voicing an opinion on a product.

The common complaints against PC gaming are that it's complicated and costs more money on startup. Both are quite true. However, they're only slightly more of a hassle than the current gen consoles and fold that console money and the money you were liable to spend on a laptop or something together and you've got a pretty decent PC. What do you get for this extra money and hassle? Better looking games. More games. Cheaper games. Old games not tied to any DRM(thanks GOG). Free multiplayer features(games don't lock you out of voice chat because you don't want to pay Sony or MS every month). Mods. And finally a network of problem solvers who will at least attempt to fix any PC problem you have free of charge, all you need to do is ask.

/rant
Explaining why the consoles are a bit shit is fine. It strays into elitism territory when some PC users forget the concept of preference, act as if console users have a mental deficiency, or act as if console users are holding back gaming as a whole. I've seen that kind of behaviour on The Escapist before but it has seemingly improved since some of the more vitriolic people have been banned.

Although, I will say one thing continues to baffle me a bit about the debate of console vs PC and that is cheaper games. Maybe it's just where I live but except for sales I've found that major titles cost just as much as their console counterparts.

Angelblaze

Jun 17, 2010
Silentpony said:
I used to understand the console wars back in the day, when each console had different games. However petty, there was something to an argument between being able to play Ocarina of Time or FF7.

But now? All the consoles play the same damn game, including the PC! What does it matter anymore?! If you prefer PC, buy a damn PC! If you want a console, GET A FUCKING CONSOLE!
Where is the debate? The conflict?! PCs can run games at higher graphics levels, but cost nearly x3 as much. Consoles offer convenience because you always know a console game will run on that console.

Personally, I have both. I have a PC for Steam games, and a 360 for the new releases my PC can't run. I switch back and forth.

Also whats the harm in 'PC Gaming master race'? Its an insult at the over-serious PC riggers. Deal with it and come up with one for console players.
I'm going to sound like one of those 'crazy people who take PC gaming race' too seriously but...

The 'conflict' comes more from perpetuated lies that are spread about PCs which end up making people make uneducated purchasing decisions regarding their gaming choice, speaking as someone who subscribes to the 'PC Master Gaming Race'.

Yes. I know. I sound ridiculous. However, times are tight and speaking as someone who loves gaming - and I mean LOVES IT with all their fucking heart (Gaming help(ed/s) me deal with not being involved with my biological father, being afraid of the dark, being molested as a kid, nearly being kidnapped, having to move away from home due to stalker situation, my step father getting lung cancer, etc) I want to help people get into the hobby as cheap and as comfortably as possible. So...yeah spoiler.

For examples of misinformation:

'PCs can run games at higher graphics levels, but cost nearly x3 as much'
Let's get particular.

What PCs? If you're talking 'Console Equivalent' then you can build a console equivalent for less then a console assuming we're talking 'at release'(ordering online)
PLUS:
Never having to pay monthly fees for using the online function (Playstation Plus/Xbox Live)
Moddable games.
Emulators for reverse compatibility.
Every service or an equivalent of those that can be found on a console and more being available on the PC.
Cheaper games (GoG, Steam)
'free' games *wink wink pirate bay/torrents wink* (If you choose. I don't judge)

(Note that the 'PC Master Race subreddit provides builds and such here; http://www.reddit.com/r/PCMasterRace/wiki/builds)

'Consoles offer convenience because you always know a console game will run on that console.'
Consoles aren't that reliable, have lower graphical power, you have to wait years for the developers to get used to the technology, etc etc. And...
Red Ring of Death within the first two weeks of buying the console (For me when I had an xbox 360).
Updates every time you turn the system on (Vita specifically).
The more recent crackdown on game sharing, (Quickly reversed, still crazy).
Problems with game installation.
The 20-40 gig installation process for xbox games that either 'don't work' or require installation - that even bugs out if you stop it. (Halo 3, Halo Reach, Halo ODST, Halo 4....sigh.)
The clear graphical downgrade - and note: I mean blatant lies at conventions and public showings, not 'the graphics look a little weird'. I mean outright false advertising - of Watchdogs.
See:
http://support.xbox.com/en-US/xbox-360/downloadable-content/cant-play-downloaded-content
http://support.xbox.com/en-US/xbox-360/games/disc-unreadable-error-games-on-demand
http://support.xbox.com/en-US/xbox-360/errors/game-could-not-start
etc etc.

Note: I'm not crazy passionate and I don't take the tag seriously, what I do take seriously is people paying more for inconsistent garbage and not educating themselves - only to say more lies about computer gaming like 'it costs more' or 'its more difficult'. Sure, have your console but don't spread lies about it.

I'm not saying 'HAHAHAHA YOU'RE INFERIOR FOR PLAYING ON CONSOLES', I'm just saying, educate yourself and make a more informed decision.

Angelblaze

Jun 17, 2010
Aesir23 said:
WouldYouKindly said:
fieryshadowcard said:
micuu said:
I've only ever used the term in self-deprecation. Are there people who actually take "PC master race" completely seriously? Because I've never met them.
Stick around in this thread for about 30 posts. I'm sure you'll find two or three getting the party started.

OT: "Suck it, Dolfy" needs to be put on a T-shirt like right now. Get on that merchandising, Escapist.
So explaining why the current consoles are a bit shit is elitism? I feel like I get called out for voicing an opinion on a product.

The common complaints against PC gaming are that it's complicated and costs more money on startup. Both are quite true. However, they're only slightly more of a hassle than the current gen consoles and fold that console money and the money you were liable to spend on a laptop or something together and you've got a pretty decent PC. What do you get for this extra money and hassle? Better looking games. More games. Cheaper games. Old games not tied to any DRM(thanks GOG). Free multiplayer features(games don't lock you out of voice chat because you don't want to pay Sony or MS every month). Mods. And finally a network of problem solvers who will at least attempt to fix any PC problem you have free of charge, all you need to do is ask.

/rant
Explaining why the consoles are a bit shit is fine. It strays into elitism territory when some PC users forget the concept of preference, act as if console users have a mental deficiency, or act as if console users are holding back gaming as a whole. I've seen that kind of behaviour on The Escapist before but it has seemingly improved since some of the more vitriolic people have been banned.

Although, I will say one thing continues to baffle me a bit about the debate of console vs PC and that is cheaper games. Maybe it's just where I live but except for sales I've found that major titles cost just as much as their console counterparts.
I'd say the 'mental deficiency' comes - again - from the fact that people post things like 'PC COSTS MORE!' when it doesn't (especially when you add on all the little things like Ps Plus, Xbox live, 60 dollar game releases, URRRRRGH) and of course, all the COD console screaming kids that the internet seems to never run out of (See: Minnesota Burns).

Also, are you using Steam and are you talking about 'Games at release' or 'New unused disks vs Console games that have been out for a while on PC'?

EvilRoy

The face I make when I see unguarded pie.
Legacy
Jan 9, 2011
Aesir23 said:
WouldYouKindly said:
fieryshadowcard said:
micuu said:

/rant

I think its a steam/Origin/GOG etc sale thing. These days I don't even bother with physical releases, because chances are I'm going to have to put it on some kind of service anyway and my net is good enough to download in reasonable times. Think the last time I bought one in person was Brink around release, and then I had to put it on steam and download a huge update anyway.

Aesir23

Jul 2, 2009
Angelblaze said:
Aesir23 said:
WouldYouKindly said:
fieryshadowcard said:
micuu said:

/rant

I'd say the 'mental deficiency' comes - again - from the fact that people post things like 'PC COSTS MORE!' when it doesn't (especially when you add on all the little things like Ps Plus, Xbox live, 60 dollar game releases, URRRRRGH) and of course, all the COD console screaming kids that the internet seems to never run out of (See: Minnesota Burns).

Also, are you using Steam and are you talking about 'Games at release' or 'New unused disks vs Console games that have been out for a while on PC'?
Yes, I can definitely give you that. I never play online so thankfully I've never run into the COD kids in question.

I'm primarily talking about new release games on Steam compared to new release games on a console's digital distribution service like the Playstation Store (so that sales taxes aren't an issue). Every time I've looked at major titles after release they are at or close to the same price which is roughly $70 now in Canada.

Cidward

Jul 7, 2014
PC gaming works for me because I almost never buy new releases anymore, for a ton of reasons, but as much due to lack of time as anything else. I get most of my games on sale these days, a little after they've come out, so I pay much lower prices and my machine can generally run them just fine. I think if you're happy with that, there's a definite advantage to PCs. If you buy a lot of stuff new, not so much.

LaoJim

Aug 24, 2013
Batou667 said:
LysanderNemoinis said:
So wait, the guy who once changed a joke in one of his videos purely because "someone might be offended" is now a big defender of free speech and not caring if someone has their precious feelings hurt? Can't have it both ways, Yahtzee.
Somebody was offended. He changed it, IIRC, under friendly but insistent advisement from The Escapist, presumably because it had attracted complaints.
Yahtzee's stock in trade is obviously offensive humour - scatological, sexual, dead babies and all - but he doesn't do racist , homophobic, or sexist* humour. He doe occasionally play with these ideas (see his 50 Cent: Blood on the Sand review), but it should be obvious to the viewer that he doesn't hold the views he's supposedly espousing and its all ironic. The problem with the line that he changed, which was something like "...that's like saying 'I'm not gay, I only suck transexuals cocks'", was that it could easily be taken, by a reasonable person, to be ironically transphobic. I'm not sure how it was pressure put on him by the Escapist, and how much was himself, but I took as sincere his statement that he'd thought about the line and decided it didn't reflect his own beliefs.

(*I'm sure Anita would disagree with me on this point)

WouldYouKindly said:

/rant
The issue I think is not so much people voicing their opinions, it's when it becomes "PC gaming is (objectively) better than console gaming - anyone who thinks otherwise is wrong" - an opinion which the phrase 'Glorious PC Master Race' nicely encapsulates. These days I'm pretty much exclusively a console gamer and I'll explain why, I'm not claiming these are particularly original reasons, just that they make sense for me.

1. I work abroad in China for at least 9 months of the year - I move between 3 homes (my parents home in my home country, my work-place home and my wife's home). I much prefer to use my laptop for all computer related stuff, I don't need a desktop PC. My vision is not great - I've tried using a PC with a wireless mouse and keyboard from the couch, I have problems seeing small text and it quickly gives me a headache. I much prefer gaming from a couch. With an XBox360 when I move between locations I can pop out my harddrive and take all my saves/games with me between locations, and I can have a £60 second hand Xbox in each location (one of which was brought by my parents for when my young nephews come to visit anyway. If I want to play old games I can do it on (my wife's) laptop anyway. The WiiU is very convenient for carrying around (and its total lack of games means I'm never weighed down by those heavy CDs)
2. I prefer to use Linux for my PC. I could duel boot, but I'd have to pay the Microsoft tax.
3. I have a degree in computer science - however my leisure time should be spent having fun, I can edit config files, but doing so doesn't give me any pleasure though. People keep telling me that it getting better, last time I checked in 2008 it wasn't. Because I work abroad I generally buy all my games for the whole year while I'm back in England. I can download games but it is unreliable and very slow. It is difficult to be legal games where I am and even more difficult to buy legal English games and I refuse to pirate. When I buy a game I need to know that it is going to be playable the whole way through. As long as I install the game when I buy it to check that the disk isn't scratched this is generally the case with consoles.
4. I don't play much multiplayer. I don't really care about multiplayer, which is lucky, because there would be very few English speaking, Western game playing communities which I could access anyway. Thus the XBox live membership cost isn't really an issue.
5. I don't like RTS games or FPS that much. I hate playing games on a keyboard these days.
6. I'm not bothered about modding - I generally play through a game once and then move onto something else
7. The most enjoyable part of a game is the first few hours - once you've passed the tutorial and are discovering the aesthetic, gameplay and narrative choices the designers are making. I don't want to spend this time wondering if the framerate is okay, or it it could run a higher resolution and generally stopping and starting the game. I like to think that what I'm experiencing is what the developers had in mind.
8. I'm an achievement-seeking addict (but that's my problem, not an argument)
9. I don't need to ***** about Origin or uPlay if I play an EA or Ubisoft game.
10. I don't have an ethical problem with buying used games, though I like to support the developers when I can. I like the fact that the used market for console games exists.

Anyway, sorry that was a bit of a longer post than I was planning; on the positive side, I can link to it whenever this topic comes up again. I'm not suggesting that none of these problems could be overcome with PCs, just that, taken as a whole consoles seem to be better suited to my current needs. Every decade or so I build a PC capable of playing games and it just never seems completely worth it to me.

Rozalia1

Mar 1, 2014
Angelblaze said:
I'm going to sound like one of those 'crazy people who take PC gaming race' too seriously but...

The 'conflict' comes more from perpetuated lies that are spread about PCs which end up making people make uneducated purchasing decisions regarding their gaming choice, speaking as someone who subscribes to the 'PC Master Gaming Race'.

Yes. I know. I sound ridiculous. However, times are tight and speaking as someone who loves gaming - and I mean LOVES IT with all their fucking heart (Gaming help(ed/s) me deal with not being involved with my biological father, being afraid of the dark, being molested as a kid, nearly being kidnapped, having to move away from home due to stalker situation, my step father getting lung cancer, etc) I want to help people get into the hobby as cheap and as comfortably as possible. So...yeah spoiler.

Let's get particular.

What PCs? If you're talking 'Console Equivalent' then you can build a console equivalent for less then a console assuming we're talking 'at release'(ordering online)
PLUS:
Never having to pay monthly fees for using the online function (Playstation Plus/Xbox Live)
Moddable games.
Every service or an equivalent of those that can be found on a console and more being available on the PC.
'free' games *wink wink pirate bay/torrents wink* (If you choose. I don't judge)

(Note that the 'PC Master Race subreddit provides builds and such here; http://www.reddit.com/r/PCMasterRace/wiki/builds)

'Consoles offer convenience because you always know a console game will run on that console.'
Consoles aren't that reliable, have lower graphical power, you have to wait years for the developers to get used to the technology, etc etc. And...
Red Ring of Death within the first two weeks of buying the console (For me when I had an xbox 360).
The 20-40 gig installation process for xbox games that either 'don't work' or require installation - that even bugs out if you stop it. (Halo 3, Halo Reach, Halo ODST, Halo 4....sigh.)
The clear graphical downgrade - and note: I mean blatant lies at conventions and public showings, not 'the graphics look a little weird'. I mean outright false advertising - of Watchdogs.
See:
http://support.xbox.com/en-US/xbox-360/downloadable-content/cant-play-downloaded-content
http://support.xbox.com/en-US/xbox-360/games/disc-unreadable-error-games-on-demand
etc etc.

Note: I'm not crazy passionate and I don't take the tag seriously, what I do take seriously is people paying more for inconsistent garbage and not educating themselves - only to say more lies about computer gaming like 'it costs more' or 'its more difficult'. Sure, have your console but don't spread lies about it.

I'm not saying 'HAHAHAHA YOU'RE INFERIOR FOR PLAYING ON CONSOLES', I'm just saying, educate yourself and make a more informed decision.
Angelblaze said:

Nice act but you betray yourself. Out of everything that may well be the worst for me personally, the retard/brain damaged or "mental deficiency" as it was put. Absolutely sickening and am glad some of those characters are no longer around.
You trying to defend that tripe quite frankly shows you up.

As for your big post I've seen a million times before... you talk of dishonesty and ignorance, how it it causes all these bad things to be said. Yet reply with comedy of errors clearly done to push an angle.
At a gander with some numbering:

1: Cheap games. Commonly it is said essentially that console games are always full price, PC games seemingly release at 5 bucks. No. Prices are actually pretty across the board in a lot of cases though the often mentioned sales do knock down the price when they come around. Consoles also have sales but they don't tend to cut as deep (though 60% discounts for example aren't anything to scoff at when they happen).
2: Linking to that reddit full of the markiest people you'll ever find in an article that is inaccurate and slanted to project the obvious. I've gone into the specifics on this before for several pages so forgive me for not bothering here.
3: Emulation is mostly done illegally, and as I doubt you even know the difference you're clearly advocating for piracy... however the escapist is very lax on piracy so I'm the bad guy on that.
4: However! You just advocated for people to just pirate so I don't even need to follow up on emulation, its small potatoes.

Lets continue to the second part:

5: One is a well known fact (graphics), another is mostly irrelevant (getting used to it), the other an outright lie (not being reliable) that can only be backed up with "freak" occurrences or anecdotes.
6: Lists "red ring of death" something that only effected the 360 and attempts seemingly to pass off like its a console wide problem, likely to push that "Not reliable" angle above.
7: Lists updates something which doesn't actually stop you playing and is more a criticism primarily aimed at Sony, again tries to pass it off as a console wide problem.
8: The "crackdown" on game sharing... even you from what you wrote seem to know that is so easily destroyed that I wonder why you even listed it.
9: No idea what these game installation problems are coming from, but even if so the PC is more known for that...so...
10: Talks about big time GB day 1 downloads... and can only apparently list the Halo Collection that was making the rounds not that long ago... a collection that doesn't actually include ODST (not yet) and Reach which didn't have such 20-40 GB day 1 patches.
11: Calls others ignorant who spread lies... while acting just the way you apparently hate...

I wasn't going to wade in on the posts here as if I responded to every little thing I'd have 30,000 posts by the months end... but you tried to cover yourself in so much glory while making such blatant errors... I decided to reply.

I expect a response trying to brush me off as a "console peasant" as you'd no doubt put it openly or not. However multiplatform so that'll be quite ineffective with me... just to let you know of course.

Now here I was thinking of putting your line there with the caps and "educating" and reversing it on you... but considering all the above is already there... I'm not a mean person.

Angelblaze

Jun 17, 2010
Rozalia1 said:
Angelblaze said:

Let's get particular.

PLUS:
Moddable games.

See:
etc etc.

Angelblaze said:

Nice act but you betray yourself. Out of everything that may well be the worst for me personally, the retard/brain damaged or "mental deficiency" as it was put. Absolutely sickening and am glad some of those characters are no longer around.
You trying to defend that tripe quite frankly shows you up.

As for your big post I've seen a million times before... you talk of dishonesty and ignorance, how it it causes all these bad things to be said. Yet reply with comedy of errors clearly done to push an angle.
At a gander with some numbering:

1: Cheap games. Commonly it is said essentially that console games are always full price, PC games seemingly release at 5 bucks. No. Prices are actually pretty across the board in a lot of cases though the often mentioned sales do knock down the price when they come around. Consoles also have sales but they don't tend to cut as deep (though 60% discounts for example aren't anything to scoff at when they happen).
2: Linking to that reddit full of the markiest people you'll ever find in an article that is inaccurate and slanted to project the obvious. I've gone into the specifics on this before for several pages so forgive me for not bothering here.
3: Emulation is mostly done illegally, and as I doubt you even know the difference you're clearly advocating for piracy... however the escapist is very lax on piracy so I'm the bad guy on that.
4: However! You just advocated for people to just pirate so I don't even need to follow up on emulation, its small potatoes.

Lets continue to the second part:

5: One is a well known fact (graphics), another is mostly irrelevant (getting used to it), the other an outright lie (not being reliable) that can only be backed up with "freak" occurrences or anecdotes.
6: Lists "red ring of death" something that only effected the 360 and attempts seemingly to pass off like its a console wide problem, likely to push that "Not reliable" angle above.
7: Lists updates something which doesn't actually stop you playing and is more a criticism primarily aimed at Sony, again tries to pass it off as a console wide problem.
8: The "crackdown" on game sharing... even you from what you wrote seem to know that is so easily destroyed that I wonder why you even listed it.
9: No idea what these game installation problems are coming from, but even if so the PC is more known for that...so...
10: Talks about big time GB day 1 downloads... and can only apparently list the Halo Collection that was making the rounds not that long ago... a collection that doesn't actually include ODST (not yet) and Reach which didn't have such 20-40 GB day 1 patches.
11: Calls others ignorant who spread lies... while acting just the way you apparently hate...

I wasn't going to wade in on the posts here as if I responded to every little thing I'd have 30,000 posts by the months end... but you tried to cover yourself in so much glory while making such blatant errors... I decided to reply.

I expect a response trying to brush me off as a "console peasant" as you'd no doubt put it openly or not. However multiplatform so that'll be quite ineffective with me... just to let you know of course.

Now here I was thinking of putting your line there with the caps and "educating" and reversing it on you... but considering all the above is already there... I'm not a mean person.
I'd love to go into semantics as to how I wasn't 'defending' myself but more explaining things behind the scenes, considering I probably spent more time on the 'PC Master Race' forums then most of the people here.
Also:
1. I'm only listening the halo franchise because its one of the biggest things on Xbox - its the freaking flagship game - including the fact that its patch made news here on the escapist + its the only reason I own the xbox at all.
2. I wasn't actually calling anyone mentally deficient, I was explaining the mentality behind it.
3. Assuming, again, that I'm going to call you a console peasant despite actually saying I respect the choice people make as long as they make them post-research
4. Assuming I'm attempting to defend something just because I explain the mentality behind it.
5. Despite naming multiple problems I've experienced personally with consoles you still act very condescending towards me as if I'm somehow saying I'm above all the console players. I'm not. I want people to educate themselves about what they are buying.

My birthday is tomorrow and I don't feel like going into detail and derailing this thread. Feel free to hit up my pm box and expect a response some time on the 22nd.

Rozalia1

Mar 1, 2014
Angelblaze said:
I'd love to go into semantics as to how I wasn't 'defending' myself but more explaining things behind the scenes, considering I probably spent more time on the 'PC Master Race' forums then most of the people here.
Also:
1. I'm only listening the halo franchise because its one of the biggest things on Xbox - its the freaking flagship game - including the fact that its patch made news here on the escapist + its the only reason I own the xbox at all.
2. I wasn't actually calling anyone mentally deficient, I was explaining the mentality behind it.
3. Assuming, again, that I'm going to call you a console peasant despite actually saying I respect the choice people make as long as they make them post-research
4. Assuming I'm attempting to defend something just because I explain the mentality behind it.
5. Despite naming multiple problems I've experienced personally with consoles you still act very condescending towards me as if I'm somehow saying I'm above all the console players. I'm not. I want people to educate themselves about what they are buying.

My birthday is tomorrow and I don't feel like going into detail and derailing this thread. Feel free to hit up my pm box and expect a response some time on the 22nd.
1: You rattled off the Halo games separately instead of in one entity (Halo Collection) to give off that the Halo series, and by extension all the others have widespread issues with massive day 1 patches. ODST and Reach are also listed which are of right now 360 games (ODST will be downloadable at some point) that weren't all that big on patches, and certainly not 20-40 GB ones. So you claim to be a fan of Halo from the looks of it yet don't know those simplest of facts?
2: You were trying to excuse such behaviour. No I don't care how much of a fanboy someone is you don't throw around offensive slurs and there is no excusing that. There are places on the internet for people to insult each other all day long, this isn't one of them.
3: Hence "openly or not".
4: Why list 4 when its just 2 reworded?
5: There you go again. What you have essentially done repeatedly is called a lot of people ignorant for owning consoles, and that they should "educate" themselves to no doubt reach the obvious conclusion you're trying to push. I've been around and so have seen that attempt at trying to look presentable.

Condescending? Not one to throw this line out there normally, but this is coming from someone who is repeatedly saying people should "educate" themselves to be as hip and clever as yourself?
Do you not realise that you're complaining about people being ignorant (unaware of things relating to PCs) and fanboys for console X... yet are acting exactly like that but with the "sides" reversed?

Maybe at some point. Enjoy your birthday, mine was a couple of days ago and it sucked.

Vault101

I'm in your mind fuzz
Sep 26, 2010
[quote/]and so far I've seen nothing to indicate that games are being negatively affected by either misogyny or hysterical misplaced moralizing.[/quote]

oh for crying out loud has he played ANY games within the last 3 years+/ you wanna tell me its progessiville central?

[quote/]where it will inevitably turn into a dual siege between two heavily-entrenched echo chambers of vocal minorities, separated by a vast landscape of howler monkeys flinging shit. I've survived this long as a public figure online by not letting myself get dragged into this stupid call-out culture that online discussion so often descends into. Let the busybodies scream that neutrality is a tacit endorsement of the enemy; as long as both sides are saying that then I couldn't give a toss.[/quote]

oh how reasonable/middleground/sensible of you

honestly I think Yhatzee's correct to not talk about social issues, its not his area of expertise

Silentpony_v1legacy

Alleged Feather-Rustler
Jun 5, 2013
Charcharo said:
Silentpony said:
I was thinking of correcting you for the PC costs 3x times thing and the "all platforms play the same thing".
But I think you know that and were joking?

...Well... there is a reason why poor ass Eastern Europe is PC Gaming Land and not console gaming land. :(
A quick Google search shows that an X-Box 360 cost roughly $180-200. A decent price, actually. Little pricey, but I'd pay it.
But a top-of-the-line AlienWare Desktop? $5,000.
So if Eastern Europeans really needs to play The Witcher III on a $5,000 rig, then truly God bless you. I'll make do on a 360(Waiting a month or two extra, to be fair), and do something else with my extra $4,800.

Woopate

Feb 25, 2014
I am mostly a PC gamer but I have a Wii U and a 3DS as well. I tend to use "PC gaming master race" as a short way of getting around the conversation that while, yes, I like consoles and have owned a large number of them, I am not particularly interested in the current (or previous) Microsoft and Sony offerings, due to a large list of factors that make the PC fall much more in line with my personal preferences, and both the aforementioned consoles having serious shortcomings. If people assume you are a hopeless fanboy, they don't argue with you about why their fandom is better. At least, that's the theory I'm operating on.

Most people I use the term on get the joke, but some aren't familiar, and when I realize it I feel weird.

The Lunatic

Princess
Jun 3, 2010
I think the only time I've ever invoked the "Master Race" card has mostly been to intentionally draw the ire of people in console wars.

Maybe a few amusing uses of the term beyond that, but, I've never got why anyone would take it seriously.

I consider the PC to be a superior platform for my interests, but, people who don't have the same interests as I will likely disagree.