On the PC Master Race and the Language Police

J Tyran

Dec 15, 2011
Evonisia said:
J Tyran said:
Evonisia said:
Now to go back to being a member of the glorious multi-platform master race.
Is that a double oreo by your mouse? If so, you win regardless of how many platforms you own.

Regardless, glorious looking display.
Unfortunately no, its just the control toggle for my headset,
I have other platforms too, I have a now retired XBox 360, a PS3 which has been dumped in the bedroom as a BD player and streaming box and I also own two handhelds, a Nintendo 3DS XL and PCH-1000 PS Vita.

I play on my PC the most, if its a multiplatform game I will buy the PC version. Its more convenient with digital distribution and not needing disks and my PC outperforms consoles by a large margin (it also turns on faster and I can download and install a whole game in the time it takes to install and initially update a console game), but I will play a game if I like it whatever the platform, I don't take sides or feel the need to champion a huge company that only exists to empty our wallets.

Platform and console wars are sad, adults arguing and shit talking about "the other side" like they are 13 and wanting a Megadrive. The whole "games held hostage" argument is daft too, sure exclusives are the only real reason to buy a console now and no they are not a point in their favour in discussions about the "superiority" of any particular platform. The games could exist on any other platform, The Last of Us or Sunset Overdrive would work just as well, if not better on a PC but those games are not "held hostage" and I cannot believe people actually say that and be serious about it.

In other news I kinda fancy some Oreos now though but I don't know if they sell the double ones here (I have never seen them so I don't know), a packet or two will definitely go on my shopping list.

Estarc

Sep 23, 2008
The problem, IMO, is not the usage of the term "Master Race", but the fact that there are people out there who honestly think they are better than other people because they play video games on a fucking computer instead of a console.

Thanatos2k

Aug 12, 2013
Rozalia1 said:
... Not an elitist but thinks its perfectly fine to look down on others for making different choices than his heavenly self. You couldn't make it up its that ridiculous.
Um, just because you made a choice doesn't mean it's a good choice. Here's a hyperbolic and emotionally manipulative example: do you think you're better than a terrorist? After all, they're simply choosing to fight for what they believe in.

Suddenly it's not so reprehensible to look down on others for the choices they make, is it?

However if we go by your logic that I am in full rights to proclaim myself above you correct? Funny thing is people often have a problem acknowledging that... I wonder why...
Why are you proclaiming yourself above me? For what reason? In what context? If it's a good reason that you could argue for successfully I'd accept it. For example, if a basketball commentator who had covered basketball for 20 years said they were above me in their knowledge of basketball, I could easily be convinced of that. If someone who plays a lot of fighting games said they were better at fighting games than me, I'd readily accept that as well. I don't have a problem acknowledging that.

Thanatos2k

Aug 12, 2013
Sam Squires said:
I realize the chance of Yahtzee actually reading this are next to nothing but I feel like I have to say this regardless:
Yahtzee, you have long proclaimed yourself an opponent of censorship but you seem to see it in people calling for more inclusiveness in media,
These people do not want more inclusiveness in media. They want only their viewpoints represented, and those they don't like gone forever.

It's about as non-inclusive as you can get, and it's pathetic.

Scow2 said:
Thanatos2k said:
They tried to destroy the evidence, which as we know never ever works, and PC Gamer eventually issued one of those "We're sorry we got caught we will try to be more transparent in the future" admissions.
Wait... the rest of the internet didn't try to cover it up with them and decry everyone involved in exposing it as bigots and haters and terrorists?

Was this person male or female?
Oh you silly fool, of COURSE the rest of the internet (actually, the small pathetic subset that we're all thinking of) decried everyone involved in exposing it as evil. They criticized PC Gamer for "caving in to terrorists" as well!

These lunatics are a stain on the world that just won't wash out.

Jake Martinez

Apr 2, 2010
Estarc said:
The problem, IMO, is not the usage of the term "Master Race", but the fact that there are people out there who honestly think they are better than other people because they play video games on a fucking computer instead of a console.
Man, if that's a problem for you, then I want your life. I have so many other important things to worry about and I feel relatively well off.

Estarc

Sep 23, 2008
Jake Martinez said:
Estarc said:
Man, if that's a problem for you, then I want your life. I have so many other important things to worry about and I feel relatively well off.
Hmm. You seem to have latched onto one word in my post and used it to draw conclusions about me personally that have no supporting evidence. Whatever. I'll reciprocate. If you have so many pressing issues in your life, why are you wasting time reading through the comments of this article instead of doing something about them?

blackrave

Mar 7, 2012
Thanatos2k said:
That's why people can argue that PCs are a better medium unironically at this point. PC Master Race is used ironically and unironically at the same time, to inflame the ire of console fanboys peasants.
Exactly I always consider it both at the same time.
It's self-pride mixed with self-mockery (and both parts are important).

CaitSeith said:
Wait a second... PC Master Race is a Nazi reference!?
Yeah, I knew about germans, but weren't british the first who came up with that master race crap?

Darth_Payn said:
"PC Master Race" is just dripping in irony when you take PC as the acronym for Politically Correct in this context.
This is something I noticed too, and it makes term even funnier.

Czann

Jan 22, 2014
Great article man. One of the best I've seen and I agree 100%.

The thought police is dictatorial.

Roxas1359

Burn, Burn it All!
Aug 8, 2009
blackrave said:
Yeah, I knew about germans, but weren't british the first who came up with that master race crap?
If I remember correctly, it showed up more with the onset of Social Darwinism during the age of Imperialism from western powers. It became a part of the Nazi regime after a while.

Rozalia1

Mar 1, 2014
Thanatos2k said:
Um, just because you made a choice doesn't mean it's a good choice. Here's a hyperbolic and emotionally manipulative example: do you think you're better than a terrorist? After all, they're simply choosing to fight for what they believe in.

Suddenly it's not so reprehensible to look down on others for the choices they make, is it?
Did you just compare it all terrorism? I've seen someone warned for that just to let you know.
Anyway there is a grand difference between "looking down" on someone for being a murderer, and someone owning a bloody console.

Anyway if I made any choice it was to avoid the petty elements that constrain your life and have more than you. You're above no-one as far as I see but by your own logic I am within my purview to look down on you, something incidentally you clearly do not like (but love doing it to others).

Thanatos2k said:
Why are you proclaiming yourself above me? For what reason? In what context? If it's a good reason that you could argue for successfully I'd accept it. For example, if a basketball commentator who had covered basketball for 20 years said they were above me in their knowledge of basketball, I could easily be convinced of that. If someone who plays a lot of fighting games said they were better at fighting games than me, I'd readily accept that as well. I don't have a problem acknowledging that.
Multiplatform (12+ and includes PC) > PC. Very simple.
Oh and as I said before your defence to the above is not credible due to your comments not just here or PC gamer... but in a lot of other places as you seem to preach all this everywhere.

As for your how old are the games you've played and finished thing you seem to be going for... oldest finished would be 1987, oldest finished that weren't outdated to the point they become a bit of chore 1994. There are people who could bring up further away numbers no doubt but I don't see what massive difference it makes.

Reiper

Mar 26, 2009
C.S.Strowbridge said:
So let me get this straight... A gamer website said that people should stop using Nazi terminology to describe themselves and in response these people double-down on the Nazi imagery. (Google PC Master Race Flag if you don't believe me.)

And in response... Ben "Yahtzee" Croshaw is siding with the fucking Nazis.

What the fuck happened to Yahtzee? Or was he always like this and I only recently noticed this?
He's not really siding with the nazis...

Also, that pc gamer master race flag is sweet.
Looks, like I have a new background

Akjosch

Sep 12, 2014
Given that the term "master race" (in English at least) pre-dates the Nazis by about a century [https://books.google.com/ngrams/graph?content=master+race&case_insensitive=on&year_start=1800&year_end=2000&corpus=15&smoothing=3], I never really associated "PC Master Race" with them - nor do I see any grounds to do so.

It's just an ironic self-deprecating term for people who prefer playing on the PC. No need to get your panties in a twist.

Thanatos2k

Aug 12, 2013
Rozalia1 said:
Did you just compare it all terrorism? I've seen someone warned for that just to let you know.
Anyway there is a grand difference between "looking down" on someone for being a murderer, and someone owning a bloody console.
Is there? I just proved that it's completely reasonable to look down upon people for their choices. You said it was not. You were wrong. You immediately backpedaled into the outrage defense "Did you REALLY just compare X to Y!?!?!?"

Anyway if I made any choice it was to avoid the petty elements that constrain your life and have more than you. You're above no-one as far as I see but by your own logic I am within my purview to look down on you, something incidentally you clearly do not like (but love doing it to others).
It's funny, you're desperately trying to chastise people for "looking down on others" when your post is filled with insults and passive aggressiveness...and looking down on others. It undermines you entire argument. Remember, I readily admitted that depending on the context I could accept someone as being better than me at something, which you strangely seem to not acknowledge.

Multiplatform (12+ and includes PC) > PC. Very simple.
Why? What do any of those platforms do that PC does not, particularly the "next gen" consoles? And remember, exclusive games are not a reason why a platform is better, because those are tangential to the platform itself. If it's very simple you'd be able to explain your reasons. Good luck.

Oh and as I said before your defence to the above is not credible due to your comments not just here or PC gamer... but in a lot of other places as you seem to preach all this everywhere.
I'm not credible because I espouse a consistent view point in multiple places? .......What?

As for your how old are the games you've played and finished thing you seem to be going for... oldest finished would be 1987, oldest finished that weren't outdated to the point they become a bit of chore 1994. There are people who could bring up further away numbers no doubt but I don't see what massive difference it makes.
.....????????????

SonOfVoorhees

Aug 3, 2011
The thing is the PC IS better in terms of graphics etc No one can deny that. But it comes down to preference and a lot of people prefer console gaming to PC. An a certain group of insecure PC gamers cant seem to accept that choice - maybe because their niche little club isnt so niche anymore. On this site you can write a forum thread asking help about PC gaming and their are loads of PC gamers that will give help and advice as they want more people to see the positives of gaming on a PC. Those people are great....ignore the elitists now that what made them special is becoming more mainstream.

Not sure when all this fan boyism crap started. When i was a kid my friend had a Spectrum and I had a C64 - and seriously the difference in graphics/sound quality between the two was immense. But we both enjoyed gaming on each others machines with out resorting to bitching and insulting each other. I think those elitists are more about the hardware than the games where as console gamers are more about the games. I do wonder if they play older titles on their rigs or is it just AAA titles at max settings to boast about how great their rigs are?

Nurb

Cynical bastard
Dec 9, 2008
Right on, man.

If we had the current net blogs and media during the Doom and Mortal Kombat days when gaming was under attack by politicians and lawyers, our own media would have written hit pieces and garbage articles about those developers because of the "shocking senseless violence" as has been the response to Hatred, probably calling them devil worshippers and "creepy weirdos who don't treat games as a real artform".

In reality, as Yahtzee mentioned in a video, the gaming media thought police clique doesn't mind censorship when they agree with it. The only reason Jack Thomson didn't do as much damage is because he didn't pretend to share their politics.

Rozalia1

Mar 1, 2014
Thanatos2k said:
Is there? I just proved that it's completely reasonable to look down upon people for their choices. You said it was not. You were wrong. You immediately backpedaled into the outrage defense "Did you REALLY just compare X to Y!?!?!?"
??? You make an outrageous comparison that I've seen someone warned for (done on me no less), and when I dismiss it for the bunkum it is you try to state it means I'm "beaten"? Come now.
No looking down on someone for holding a different platform isn't correct. I think "Pcmasterace" and whatever other squalid hole you've trawled through on the net has coloured your perceptions a bit. Just because those people think its good and proper to act like that... doesn't mean it is.

To use your outrageous comparisons as to dissuade you from continuing to use them(doubtful). On some places on the web kiddy fiddling is seen as a perfectly acceptable thing to do... that does not make it an acceptable thing to do.

Thanatos2k said:
It's funny, you're desperately trying to chastise people for "looking down on others" when your post is filled with insults and passive aggressiveness...and looking down on others. It undermines you entire argument. Remember, I readily admitted that depending on the context I could accept someone as being better than me at something, which you strangely seem to not acknowledge.
Except you're as I expected trying to scratch out any reason why I am your superior. You'll bow down to your betters you say but you'll never admit anyone as your better as after all PC > Everything (to you)... you'll only put people down as inferior to yourself, never above.
If you actually did admit that I was your superior through your own morality than while I would not agree with it... I could at least put you down as honest. As it stands you're someone using your "PC gamer" status to shame/heckle/insult others (its all over the place in your case) all the while feebly trying to hide behind it saying "you can't do the same to me, I'm a PC gamer".

You can give it but not take it... as is the norm among those who own a X platform and think it entitles them to put down others.

Thanatos2k said:
Why? What do any of those platforms do that PC does not, particularly the "next gen" consoles? And remember, exclusive games are not a reason why a platform is better, because those are tangential to the platform itself. If it's very simple you'd be able to explain your reasons. Good luck.
As I said above. You tell me that you fully willing to admit that any one "better" than you should look down on you... but as you know that your better (your own point view this as I don't make it my business to look down on those who have done no harm) is better than you by virtue of having access to far more than you... you desperately try to claim that those devices are in fact a non-factor.

Do I have access to far more games than you by virtue of having a gaming PC and hoards of consoles/handhelds? Yes.
When a "hip" new game comes out and you post on the internet "wow I hope that comes to PC so I can play it" do I? No I just buy it (if I want it anyway).

You forget its all about the games not the pieces of plastic and metal you play them on... but continue to try to argue your piece of plastic is better than... my own piece of the plastic you have and the extra many more pieces of plastic I own.

Thanatos2k said:
I'm not credible because I espouse a consistent view point in multiple places? .......What?
I thought you were going to attempt the defense of "I own consoles too I'm not massively biased honest" as you did post in one of the comments that you owned consoles that lasted a month or whatever meager time frame you gave them... but it seems you've gone with something else.

Thanatos2k said:
.....????????????
You were clearly going by better gamer or whatever. How old the games you've finished I've seen be a sort of measuring stick to some people.

Aesir23

Jul 2, 2009
Charcharo said:
Aesir23 said:
WouldYouKindly said:
fieryshadowcard said:
micuu said:
I've only ever used the term in self-deprecation. Are there people who actually take "PC master race" completely seriously? Because I've never met them.
Stick around in this thread for about 30 posts. I'm sure you'll find two or three getting the party started.

OT: "Suck it, Dolfy" needs to be put on a T-shirt like right now. Get on that merchandising, Escapist.
So explaining why the current consoles are a bit shit is elitism? I feel like I get called out for voicing an opinion on a product.

The common complaints against PC gaming are that it's complicated and costs more money on startup. Both are quite true. However, they're only slightly more of a hassle than the current gen consoles and fold that console money and the money you were liable to spend on a laptop or something together and you've got a pretty decent PC. What do you get for this extra money and hassle? Better looking games. More games. Cheaper games. Old games not tied to any DRM(thanks GOG). Free multiplayer features(games don't lock you out of voice chat because you don't want to pay Sony or MS every month). Mods. And finally a network of problem solvers who will at least attempt to fix any PC problem you have free of charge, all you need to do is ask.

/rant
Explaining why the consoles are a bit shit is fine. It strays into elitism territory when some PC users forget the concept of preference, act as if console users have a mental deficiency, or act as if console users are holding back gaming as a whole. I've seen that kind of behaviour on The Escapist before but it has seemingly improved since some of the more vitriolic people have been banned.

Although, I will say one thing continues to baffle me a bit about the debate of console vs PC and that is cheaper games. Maybe it's just where I live but except for sales I've found that major titles cost just as much as their console counterparts.
I dont know how it is where you live mate, here in my country PC games at RETAIL cost less then games on Steam (on release) and TWO TIMES LESS then console games.
Wolfenstein the New ORder was 55 leva. Cheapest AAA we ever had. The console version was 100...
I live in Canada. At the moment new releases cost about $70 both for PC and Console titles with the only real difference being digital distribution vs physical media since you don't have to pay sales taxes for games that you purchase through digital storefronts like Steam or the Playstation Store.

Strelok

Dec 22, 2012
Aesir23 said:
I live in Canada. At the moment new releases cost about $70 both for PC and Console titles with the only real difference being digital distribution vs physical media since you don't have to pay sales taxes for games that you purchase through digital storefronts like Steam or the Playstation Store.
Is it the same as the Canada I live in, or are you in some alternate reality Canada? Cause Dying Light is $20 cheaper for the physical copy ($69 PS4, $49 PC) only $10 cheaper than PS4 on Steam($59), that was just a random grab.

http://www.amazon.ca/Warner-Bros-883929357550-Dying-Light/dp/B00FXOZDPU/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1422080350&sr=8-1&keywords=dying+light+ps4

http://www.amazon.ca/Warner-Bros-883929357345-Dying-Light/dp/B00DCNTDFU/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1422080562&sr=8-1&keywords=dying+light+PC

http://store.steampowered.com/app/239140/

Please don't reply with what about [Insert Activision Game] or [Insert Rockstar Game] their demographic tend not to know that PC games don't have a kickback to Sony/Microsoft to develop on their platforms and shouldn't cost exactly the same.