On the Subject of Kojima and del Toro on Silent Hills

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
ToastiestZombie said:
That and Kojima's gone out and said that P.T. was deliberately made worse (and 30fps) to make it seem like just another indie horror game. Imagine what it'll be like when Kojima isn't trying to trick and surprise us.
I didn't know that, and honestly I thought the demo looked incredible. The problem I think why horror games can't get as well of a foothold in this/previous generation as it did in the PS2 era, is that games today are too slick and shiny. A lot of the horror from games like Silent Hill came from the grainy visuals and bad camera. And P.T. had kind of a similar feel, where the environments weren't super sharp and looking around felt a bit disorientating.

Valkrex

Elder Dragon
Jan 6, 2013
I can understand some of the concern as Kojima isn't known for Horror, and while Del Toro is a good filmmaker, film is VERY different than games.

That said, HOLY HELL THAT INTERACTIVE TRAILER PT PREVIEW THING. That was FUCKING AMAZING. If they can deliver on that level of atmosphere, tension, and mindfuckery in the actual game then this can easily be one of the best Horror games we have seen in a LONG time.

go-10

Feb 3, 2010
Del Toro has yet to make anything I don't like so yeah I'm hyped as hell for this. Last Silent Hill game I remember enjoying was 3 and I've played all of them. Downpour had a good idea but it's execution was terrible at best. My real worry here is Hideo who other than Metal Gear, I have yet to play anything from him that I like, Castlevania was horrible

Sarah Kerrigan

Jan 17, 2010
To be honest, I wondered why people were complaining about this. If the demo was anything to go by, the horror and atmosphere is going to be amazing. Del Toro, for all his directing flaws, makes damn cool monsters and great locals. Kojima, in my opinion, is an amazing director and developer. I remember a line he said about PT saying something like 'people who dislike horror because it scares them make the best horror games.' and that gets me excited. So no, I'm cautiously optimistic, but very, very excited.

Saika Renegade

Nov 18, 2009
ToastiestZombie said:
That and Kojima's gone out and said that P.T. was deliberately made worse (and 30fps) to make it seem like just another indie horror game. Imagine what it'll be like when Kojima isn't trying to trick and surprise us.
I actually expect him to do more things just like that. This is Kojima we're talking about after all. If Metal Gear Solid (especially Sons of Liberty) has been any clue he seems to thrive on finding ways to trick, surprise, or just mess with an audience.

Reaper195

Jul 5, 2009
matrix3509 said:
For all the shit Kojima (rightfully) gets for his stories and dialog, people like to forget that he's still one of the best game designers in the world. To me the pairing of Del Toro and Kojima makes perfect sense. Del Toro is an amazing writer and Kojima is an amazing designer. The strengths of one perfectly covers for the weaknesses of the other.

Also, something that cannot be understated is Del Toro's monster design. I mean, Del Too's name these days is pretty much synonymous with amazing monsters. This basically means that you can wave goodbye to the days of insane humans, sexy nurses, and Pyramid Head. That alone is enough to get me interested.
Yeah, people seem to be not paying attention to how this is going to be made. Kojima has made some of the best games, gameplay-wise, in decades. Del Toro, while his stories are rather simple, makes some of the most creative designs ever. I wouldn't be surprised if they get one of the original Silent Hill writers to put in a lot more subtlety into the games the last few haven't had. In fact, Silent Hill has been devoid of a truly scary game since 3.

Unless Kojima and Del Torro are ust voices in the game, and Norman Reedus is voicing the main character AND directing it AND writing it. That would almost be worth it.

PoolCleaningRobot

Mar 18, 2012
matrix3509 said:
For all the shit Kojima (rightfully) gets for his stories and dialog, people like to forget that he's still one of the best game designers in the world.
^this this this THIS. He's fucking awesome. People still give him shit over the cutscenes in one game. I love his games because its like Kojima actually remembers he's making a video game. The P.T. demo would even make loud demonic sounds if you paused the game for too long. That kind of Eternal Darkness stuff is what I'd expect from a horror game by him. And I don't see why del Toro being a former movie director would harm his ability to make a video game. Given that he's the one who wanted to make a horror game, I can only imagine he realizes all the things you can do in a game that you can't do in a movie to get inside people's heads. I'm not a gambling man so its still in the realm of possibility this game might not be good, but I'm definitely looking forward to it

PoolCleaningRobot

Mar 18, 2012
Casual Shinji said:
I didn't know that, and honestly I thought the demo looked incredible. The problem I think why horror games can't get as well of a foothold in this/previous generation as it did in the PS2 era, is that games today are too slick and shiny. A lot of the horror from games like Silent Hill came from the grainy visuals and bad camera. And P.T. had kind of a similar feel, where the environments weren't super sharp and looking around felt a bit disorientating.
Honestly, I thought the PT demo used next gen graphics to great effect for a horror game. Small details like the conjoined cockroach couldn't exactly have been done on something like the ps1, and it couldn't have been done well on the last 2 gens. And the next gen "rain on window" stuff looked great and scary in this and Outlast. Plus hiding small, unsettling details in very sharp environments would be great for horror games

Fiz_The_Toaster

books, Books, BOOKS
Legacy
Jan 19, 2011
Country
United States
As someone who has grown up playing the games and has been disappointed/annoyed at the recent offerings, I'm okay with this.

I think Kojima and Del Toro could pull it off since I think they compliment each other and could produce something awesome. I've watched the playable trailer and I think they could do it.

However, seeing as PT is not a representation of the actual game that they're making I will be cautiously optimistic about it. PT did nail the atmosphere pretty damn well though, so here's to hoping.