On Time Travel

Premonition

Jan 25, 2010
Oh, well, Chrissy is my personal hero at this point. Such style and grace. I have not seen such great debating since, well, ever.
My personal favorite game involving time traveling has to be the very splendid TimeSplitter franchise. Most notably: TimeSplitters 3. There's time traveling in it so it's allowed xD

Edit: Also, Final Fantasy 8 deserves a mention for being so bat-shit insanely stupid.

hawk533

Dec 17, 2009
Why wouldn't you have pulled Chrono Trigger from that list? That is definitely my favorite game involving time travel.

Cherry Cola

Your daddy, your Rock'n'Rolla
Jun 26, 2009
We need to send fan-mail to this Chris E!

Quickly, someone start a fanclub!

Yahtzee Croshaw

Aug 8, 2007
My favorite game that uses time travel mechanics is Chrono Trigger. Which Yahtzee claimed to like but will probably still berate me for choosing because it's a JRPG and god forbid anyone like those games. But time travel mechanics in that game are limited to plot and have little to no bearing on actual gameplay. (No, I don't care to argue the legitimacy of JRPG mechanics as gameplay, TYVM.)

Also Yahtzee will probably weep with yellow anger when he hears I'm going to buy Singularity, which I already decided before I saw his video. Or maybe he won't weep since it's a person thinking with their own mind, rather than letting games journalists do it for them. Which is something he advocated for, wasn't it?

tomtom94

aka "Who?"
May 11, 2009
Premonition said:
Oh, well, Chrissy is my personal hero at this point. Such style and grace. I have not seen such great debating since, well, ever.
My personal favorite game involving time traveling has to be the very splendid TimeSplitter franchise. Most notably: TimeSplitters 3. There's time traveling in it so it's allowed xD
Yahtzee! How could you forget Timesplitters? Excellent series.

I don't know how time travel would work as an in-game gameplay mechanic...someone should try and find out.

Megacherv

Kinect Development Sucks...
Sep 24, 2008
Ratchet & Clank: A Crack in Time had some good puzzles with Clank (which is hear are similar to Timesplitters: Future Perfect)

Lvl 64 Klutz

Crowsplosion!
Apr 8, 2008
I want to know whatever happened to that RTS that was supposed to use time travel as a gameplay element?

PS2MAN

May 17, 2009
Lack of Chrono Trigger is fail. Also props to Chris E for making the rest of humanity appear smarter in comparison to his constructive argument.

Tharticus

Dec 10, 2008
Massive props to Chris E for making that argument.

Chrono Trigger should be on that list.

Kollega

Jun 5, 2009
Lvl 64 Klutz said:
I want to know whatever happened to that RTS that was supposed to use time travel as a gameplay element?
Achron? They're still doing it. It's currently in alpha, and i may consider buying it.

Flishiz

Feb 11, 2009
It's quite clear that the best time-travel game ever created and will stand tall and proud over any other pretender that dares glance at its throne is Mario's Time Machine. What other game has been so able to take a series known for excellence and provides government-sanctioned printers of all international currencies and rightly beat it to a bloody pulp with a game where you blithely wander random time periods looking for unimportant shit like Mario had an unusually detailed shopping list?

I hereby rest my case.

Jack and Calumon

Digimon are cool.
Dec 29, 2008
Chris E. is truly a great man. He sure put you in your place Yahtzee! Ha Ha Ha.... Bored now.

Calumon: Half Life 2 had a way of travelling forward in time.

Jack: You've never played it! How the bloody hell do you know?

Calumon: I'm made of data and copy your memories while you sleep.

Lost In The Void

When in doubt, curl up and cry
Aug 27, 2008
I'm going to join the horde of people that already said this, but Chrono Trigger, best time travel game hands down

On a side note that e-mail made my day at work so far. Good to see the future is bright for coherent debate

yourbeliefs

Bored at Work
Jan 30, 2009
Last game I had fun with that had time travel was Sonic CD, but that's not exactly a great example. It was more to just get the good ending. I don't remember breaking the bad machines in the past having a tangible impact that affected gameplay other than a nicer looking boss level with more upbeat music.

Yahtzee Croshaw

Aug 8, 2007
Hubilub said:

i think cris e is eh pretty cool guy. eh fights Yahtzee and doesn't afraid of anything.

Ah well, fail troll is fail, so I will simply hoist my 2 cents on top of this pile of loose change.

Time travel is always a confusing subject for me; the only game I really understood it with was TimeSPlitters and-after a year- Second Sight. Which, during the first playthrough, skull-fucked my sense of knowing.

Paztug

Jun 7, 2010
Premonition said:
I'm with you on that, Future Perfect is one of my favorite game, it makes a great use (and fun) of time-travelling. The multiplayer and the game overall were a lot of fun. Haven't played the others games though.

As for the article, it's interesting, especially the part when Chris E. gets to expose his amazing debate skills, the rest of it is slightly less instructive. The only game in the list I played is Timeshift, wich was meh.

itf cho

Custom title? Bah! oh wait...
Jul 8, 2010
Oh wow... Chris E is awesome. Beyond the great rant, he used the "internet-alternative" spelling of "teh" instead of the normal "the". Now, if only he could have worked a "kitteh" and a "1337" in there somewhere, he could have truly reached the sublime apogee of wonderfulness.

t3hmyth

Mar 24, 2010
While it's possibly too-informed from Sands of Time, I found Braid to be a fun, unpretentious time-travel-mechanic game. Quite possibly the best (though, certainly not the most informed or most perceptive) review of the game is by Soulja Boy:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xSXofLK5hFQ

and I know what you're thinking: no, that wasn't a reference to Nietzsche, OR Montaigne. But his response and childlike fascination with the sheer simplicity of the conceit is something that, I think, speaks to all of us: the basic desire to control the effects of time. Indeed, it's that which is its strongest quality: the game as a whole is as simple as its device. Sands of Time, while probably the better game, requires more finesse, more effort (though, to paraphrase Dr. Johnson, that which is played without effort is also played without pleasure). To me, Braid is the so-called casual game that I might give to Roger Ebert or someone newly interested in the medium; it's not narrative, and it's not structured (and in light of those, it's more avant-garde than it is anything else), but I think it's pretty cool.

WolfLordAndy

Sep 19, 2008
Time travel as a plot is all well and good but I like time travel as a mechanic much more.

I always remember the joy of two GBC Zelda games: Oracle of Ages and Oracle of Seasons. These let you jump forward/back in time, or switch between the 4 seasons. As you improved things in the past, it made the present and future better.

It would be nice to see more time travel games like that to be honest, where you actually control when and if you go back/forward in time rather the just having it as bullet time.

Oh, and I notice City of Heroes was on that list... not really proper time travel, just a mission plot device where you go in an instance and fight slighty different bad guys then usual cause they're from the past/altered time and change the future/etc.!

Truly-A-Lie

Nov 14, 2009
I've sat and thought about it. I just can't see the connection between sex with animals, homosexuality and Mario Galaxy 2. Unless the reward for getting all the stars is different this time around.

The only time travel game that comes to mind is Age of Zombies, which just uses different time periods for levels. Great game though.

mjc0961

YOU'RE a pie chart.
Nov 30, 2009
Oh man, somehow I thought he was serious at the start, and then I read "Dear Yahtzee, You are a ******." and bust out laughing.

Anyway if we're going to discuss time travel in Zelda, forget Majora's Mask. Oracle of Ages made time travel much more interesting. Rather than just forcing you to start everything back at the start if you ran out of time, you had an entire overworld for the past and then another one for the present, and later on you'd have to constantly navigate between the two to solve puzzles and just get around. They even had a dungeon where you had to play it in both the past and the present to get to the end.

EightGaugeHippo

Apr 6, 2010
Timesplitters has time trvvel in it, but does it count since there is no game mechanics revolving around time manipulation?

Jaebird

Aug 19, 2008
Yahtzee Croshaw said:
Time Travel Analogy: Like pumping helium at Abraham Lincoln during the Gettsyburg Address, basically just for a laugh.

Thank you for this very hilarious food for thought. It's right up there with a Miyamoto Riddler getting angry every time a fan figures out the puzzle that is Zelda's timeline.

Enigma6667

Apr 3, 2010
In response to Chris E.:

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH
AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
HA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

That is all.

Good analysis on time travel games, Yahtzee. I, as of now, can't think of any games aside from the ones you just mentioned other than Braid. Braid's time travel was used so sophisticatedly and devilishly well and the puzzles that required it were incredibly clever.

Wolfram23

Mar 23, 2004
Eternal Darkness was a pretty good game with a sort of time travel.

Also, Day of the Tentacle had to have been the best point-and-click adventure game I ever played.

LesIsMore

Jul 22, 2008
Surprised he didn't mention "Darkest of Days" after his praise for the premise in an earlier ZP - but the premise really has nothing to do with the gameplay mechanics, so I suppose I'm not too surprised.

"Braid" is definitely my favorite example of time reversal as a gameplay mechanic - at first glance it looks like a basic Mario-style platformer, until you realize that you have to slow and speed the progress of the world to make any progress. It requires some genuine skill to master the right use of the powers, and once you get the combinations correct it trumps any standard platformer there is.

PhiMed

Nov 26, 2008
I know you already had a PC game from 1993, but no love for Myst? I thought you were a member of the PC master race, Yahtzee!

Manicotti

Apr 10, 2009
Hey, I liked Majora's Mask. :3

I'm not sure if this really qualifies, but I've always loved Mario RPG: Partners in Time.

Stabby Joe

Jul 30, 2008
I can now see Chris E becoming something of an in-joke at the Escapist.

The Ratchet & Clank Future trilogy had some interesting moment of time manipulation, a Crack in Time being the most stand out... but then again it's in the title.

The best game hands down about time travel is Timesplitters. Out of all the lot, Future Perfect had the most crazy story, especially with it's over lapping versions of the protagonist.

Pseudonym2

Mar 31, 2008
One thing that bothered me in all of these games is how the characters stay on the same planet. If the planet,sun, and galaxy are in orbit, wouldn't traveling through time involve getting stuck in space?

Loonerinoes

Apr 9, 2009
Feeling a bit fat and insecure, as you yourself put it, as of late and need your fanbase to mock random moronic fanboy #452955 for an ego boost Yahtzee? ;)

Either way...I am moreso than ever intrigued by the last game on the list now.

Stabby Joe

Jul 30, 2008
Loonerinoes said:
Feeling a bit fat and insecure, as you yourself put it, as of late and need your fanbase to mock random moronic fanboy #452955 for an ego boost Yahtzee? ;)
That's what the internet does afterall.

RJ Dalton

Aug 13, 2009
You seem to not have anything to do this week, because this article doesn't really have anything interesting to say. Singularity really didn't give you anything to talk about other than a non-comprehensive list of time travel games that don't provide anything interesting about time travel to talk about (aside from Day of the Tentacle, but even then, you didn't appear to be really making a point)?

Booze Zombie

Dec 8, 2007
Was that real? The message from Chris E, I mean.
It's just... it seems a bit too well punctuated to have actually been typed by someone with an I.Q below 70, but then the content of the message completely contradicts that.
Oh well.

I think Time Splitters did quite well overall with the time travel element, though, I don't really think the player ever had any control over said element.
It was quite amusing, well-placed, the gameplay was enjoyable and the settings were interesting... not to mention the humour.

"Banana. Don't ask."

TheGreenManalishi

May 22, 2008
I'd argue that Majora's Mask is time travel done perfectly, in that it isn't a gameplay mechanic so much as part of the environment that can be controlled on a game-wide scale.

Celtic_Kerr

May 21, 2010
Premonition said:
You have stolen the words from my mouth. Time splitters was pretty fun, but I wish it incorporated time into the game mechanics iteself

SaintWaldo

Interzone Vagabond
Jun 10, 2008
Yahtzee Croshaw said:
You could even bring up Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask and no doubt gain the approval of Chris E.
I'd rather bring up Legend of Labia: Majora's Minora, because I'm quite sure Chris E. never played with that toy set.

t_rexaur

Feb 14, 2008
I've not played it, but Sonic 06 had some time travel in it didn't it?

Although according to the Let's Play it's pretty much as bad as the rest of the game.

DeadlyYellow

Jun 18, 2008
The Legacy of Kain series had instances of time travel that lead to enough causality to create an aneurysm if you thought about it too long. Like Raziel killing his past self, or the many deaths of Moebius.

nik3daz

Jan 1, 2008
Pseudonym2 said:
One thing that bothered me in all of these games is how the characters stay on the same planet. If the planet,sun, and galaxy are in orbit, wouldn't traveling through time involve getting stuck in space?
Quite obviously, when you're the star of a game, the universe revolves around you.

Majora's Mask is actually one of my favourite games. The time travel isn't all that central, just a handy solution to the problem of making the time-of-day and multiday quests repeatable without all that "everyone does the same thing always" silliness.

t3hmyth said:
While it's possibly too-informed from Sands of Time, I found Braid to be a fun, unpretentious time-travel-mechanic game.
Braid is a damn fine game but it's just a wee bit up itself with it's multi-leveled plot. Cool and clever as the story may be, something with a story that cool and clever is inevitably buried at least a foot up its own ass.

m64

May 12, 2010
Perhaps that's not THE best game about time travel and my judgment is skewed by nostalgia, since this was one of the first games I played on PC, but considering probably no one else remembers it, here it goes - "Time Commando" by Adeline Software.

It was a really cool beat'em up/shooter and it's coolness was largely based on the time travel thing used as a plot device allowing designers to present player with extremely varied settings. Every two levels the game moved to a new epoch, with completely different backgrounds, enemies and weapons. Kind of like what Daikatana did without the bullshit talk. The epochs/settings covered were:
- Prehistory;
- Roman Empire;
- Feudal Japan;
- Medieval Times;
- Conquistador (one level on a ship, second in a Mayan/Aztec temple);
- Wild West;
- Modern Wars (one level during the First WW, second during modern 90's conflict);
- Future;
- Cyber Space (as a short final level).

Anyone else remembers it?

Kingsman

Feb 5, 2009
DeadlyYellow said:
The Legacy of Kain series had instances of time travel that lead to enough causality to create an aneurysm if you thought about it too long. Like Raziel killing his past self, or the many deaths of Moebius.
HAH! I nearly forgot about that. "Time abhors a paradox" indeed, very terrific- although it didn't really use it as a game mechanic so much as a way to drive the plot.

And yeah, Achron looks like it's going to be a micromanagement fest like no other, but the temporal mechanics do provide an interesting explanation for time paradox theory.

Apr 28, 2008
Favorite game where Timesplitters is used as a game mechanic is Timesplitters Future Perfect. In every level you have to help yourself in some way. It got especially insane during the U-Genix level where you had 4 of you. 2 hacking into the systems and 2 defending the guys hacking.

It was fun.

Then again all of Timesplitters is awesome, so whatever.

Arjen Swellengrebel

Feb 15, 2010
Sir John The Net Knight said:
My favorite game that uses time travel mechanics is Chrono Trigger. Which Yahtzee claimed to like but will probably still berate me for choosing because it's a JRPG and god forbid anyone like those games. But time travel mechanics in that game are limited to plot and have little to no bearing on actual gameplay. (No, I don't care to argue the legitimacy of JRPG mechanics as gameplay, TYVM.)
Have you forgotten those little sidequests wherein you had to leave Robo at a desert for a century so he could do some farmwork, which would put a little Robo on the map every time you visited the intervening time periods? Or the one where you had to leave a thing in a cave but it got stolen so you had to figure out who made off with it, and then go to his childhood to teach him stealing is wrong? Those were some of the most delightful timetravel-based puzzles in a videogame ever, and definately were actual gameplay.

Sylocat

Sci-Fi & Shakespeare
Nov 13, 2007
It's even more perplexing that Yahtzee didn't mention Chrono Trigger, given that it's one of the only JRPGs he actually likes. Same with Braid.

Also, I reiterate my claim that Majora's Mask is probably the worst game to cite when you want to trash the Zelda series, but maybe Yahtzee actually likes that one too, and is just trolling us (I wouldn't be the least bit surprised, really).

Loonerinoes

Apr 9, 2009
Stabby Joe said:
Loonerinoes said:
That's what the internet does afterall.
Fair enough heh. Not complaining, mind you, hence the smiley at the end. Just observing.

Falseprophet

Jan 13, 2009
m64 said:
Perhaps that's not THE best game about time travel and my judgment is skewed by nostalgia, since this was one of the first games I played on PC, but considering probably no one else remembers it, here it goes - "Time Commando" by Adeline Software.

[snip]

No, but I remember my arcade favourites Time Soldiers (top-down run & gun through history), Time Killers (fighting game with dismemberment and decapitations), and the first arcade game I ever loved, Time Pilot (shoot down aircraft throughout history). None of them are likely to be particularly memorable, since they were all poor-quality clones of better games, but sometimes you want to run around shooting Vikings.

snave

Nov 10, 2009
tomtom94 said:
Yahtzee! How could you forget Timesplitters? Excellent series.

I don't know how time travel would work as an in-game gameplay mechanic...someone should try and find out.
Yeah, TimeSplitters was great but time-travel was just flavour, never a mechanic. And as with all sequels, its better to praise the original for coming up with the idea. Basically every good thing that defined TimeSplitters was non-time related and fresh from the N64's GoldenEye 007 (same dev. team basically).

Majora's definitely uses time-travel as a mechanic, as does Ocarina or Time. Although the latter can come across as more a (sweet) product of Nintendo's two-semi-inter-related-worlds-obsessive phase more than a time travel specific thing. Crono Trigger kinda does in places, but its so well tied to the plot, and the plot is a big draw for the game so arguably it deserves a pass into the full-blown time-travel category.

Braid naturally covered time-travel well as strictly a mechanic, because we all know the story was pretentious balls and largely seperable from time travel completely. Shame the game was tarnished by the occasional shittier bit (repeat puzzles, do not put the puzzle piece you earnt into the puzzle puzzle, and the 3 hour thumb twiddling stage anyone?)

I'm sure I've played some really short Indie games that use time travel as a mechanic perfectly.

Oh, TIME DONKEY!

TIME DONKEY!
TIME DONKEY!
TIME DONKEY!

You can thank me for the suggestion when your boss asks why you achieved nothing today.

(I'd also argue Another/Out of this World that Yahtzee mentioned is a time-travel game, only the time-travel function is the freaking password system because that game was mostly trial and error, as much as I loved it.)

ACHVDragon

Dragon Slayer
Jul 24, 2009
I personally loved a game for the gameboy advance called The Lost Vikings. It involved time travel, but more for the story. Actually only in the story.

Karloff

Oct 19, 2009
I'm not 100% convinced you could call it time travel, but what the hey:

Enchanter waaaay back in 1983 (Infocom text adventure) had a section where you, fearless wizard-type-person, found a series of glass panels which looked into sections of dank dungeon corridor. Every so often an adventurer appeared, wandering lost in that dungeon. You, FWTP, could summon that aventurer and get him to help you in your quest.

The joke was, the adventurer was that exact same avatar that you, clueless teenager, had been playing only a short while prior, for he was fearless-adventurer-type-person, the hero of Zork, the first game in the series. So FWTP, which was you, summons FATP, who was also you, and - which was the bit that killed me - promptly looked at the stuff FWTP was carrying and said [paraphrasing] 'Gee, that looks valuable - I mean, heavy. Sure I can't help you carry that?' Which was even more of a laugh and a half because you, clueless teen, knew damn well that when you were in charge of FATP that was *exactly* what you would have done, and in fact did do - hoover up every least valuable object in sight . . .

LadyRhian

May 13, 2010
I'm surprised that no one here has mentioned the Jpurneyman Project games. The Journeyman Project: Turbo (later re-made as The Journeyman Project, Pegasus Prime), The Journeyman Project 2: Buried in Time and The Journeyman Project 3 : Legacy of Time. As part of the PC Gaming Master Race, I may have to revoke Yahtzee's membership card. ;)

Interference

Feb 14, 2010
I can't help but think that it's beneath Yahtzee to pick out Chris E's email. Surely it's far too easy to mock someone who does pretty much all the work themselves? Unless that is literally the most coherent email he received.

The mark of a true wit is to take the piss out of something that actually had some thought put into it. This, on the other hand, just feels like a bit of unnecessary posturing.

DannyboyO1

Oct 3, 2007
Lesse... time travel... I'm thinking the middle child of the Enchanter series in the glory days of Infocom. Still wish I could have managed "Frotz Grue" in a useful sense. But anyway, the time travel was brief as heck. You travelled about... 10 minutes in the past. Due entirely to a predestination paradox. The time loop consisted of you swapping a couple items with your future self, and immediately crawling into a bit of cave to get at a time travel scroll that you promptly use to be on the other side of the time travel mechanic. And if you screw up at any point, you end the universe in total destruction of causality.

Another interesting sequence was Sorcery 101, a Legend game. There was an island where time ran backwards. This meant, in a primarily text game, that you were given the results of your action and were forced to type the command that should have resulted in it. It helps that you are basically doing the Goldilocks story and wind up spending the day guessing what you just did so you don't violate causality... and you get back on your boat hours before you arrived. So... you still have the day. Reminds me of a Stephen Wright joke.

Timequest is another oldie-but-goodie. One of the few text adventure games I played where I managed to win without actually acquiring any hints. I did, however, go through a couple sheets of notebook paper. Your task is to fix broken time. Some areas, you don't need to do anything. Some, you might be arranging meetings disrupted by the time villain. You win because he leaves you tied up in a room with a time portal going back about 10 minutes. So your older self appears, frees you, and shoves you through the other portal to free yourself...

That's it for the good ones not already mentioned. I know a bad one not covered, which featured jogging through a few time periods of simulated combat and doing battle with, basically, a virus taking over the world through an uncontained holodeck. Not a classic, and technically only simulating temporal travel.

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
That first message made me laugh so hard...but, I think when it comes to time travel, its really hard to try and make it work...when, we really dont know how it works itself.

I think, PoP has done it best in Sands of time...and, anything more than that is pretty much meh

ultimateownage

This name was cool in 2008.
Feb 11, 2009
Uh, Yahtzee? Where the fuck's Timesplitters? So, you, you didn't include it? Well you have obviously never played the game, because any one who has would praise it for the best time travel game, and one of the best games, that has ever existed.

DannyboyO1

Oct 3, 2007
m64 said:

It was a really cool beat'em up/shooter and it's coolness was largely based on the time travel thing used as a plot device allowing designers to present player with extremely varied settings. Every two levels the game moved to a new epoch, with completely different backgrounds, enemies and weapons. Kind of like what Daikatana did without the bullshit talk. The epochs/settings covered were:
- Prehistory;
- Roman Empire;
- Feudal Japan;
- Medieval Times;
- Wild West;
- Modern Wars (one level during the First WW, second during modern 90's conflict);
- Future;

That's the one I couldn't remember the title to! Thanks. :)

geldonyetich

Aug 2, 2006
Yahtzee said:
Why not use the comments to discuss your favorite games with time travel premises, and which effectively use time travel as a gameplay mechanic?
You already know of one [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/zero-punctuation/203-Braid], at least the foremost I'd mention that makes good use of it.

There's also another one about stealing pies which is worth mentioning:

And, hey, lets not pan Majora's Mask too hard. Granted, the main time mechanic was "restart 3-day sequence from start" over and over again, but it was nonetheless a brilliant game.

BlueInkAlchemist

Ridiculously Awesome
Jun 4, 2008
I am shocked at the lack of Chrono Trigger on this list.

Yahtzee Croshaw:
Time Travel Analogy: Like pumping helium at Abraham Lincoln during the Gettsyburg Address, basically just for a laugh.
True. But still. No Chrono Trigger?

ultimateownage

Feb 11, 2009
Irridium said:
Favorite game where Timesplitters is used as a game mechanic is Timesplitters Future Perfect. In every level you have to help yourself in some way. It got especially insane during the U-Genix level where you had 4 of you. 2 hacking into the systems and 2 defending the guys hacking.

It was fun.

Then again all of Timesplitters is awesome, so whatever.
I remember that level, the hacking was really annoying, and you had to do that bit 4 times has each version. But I was about 8 when I played it, so I was rubbish at it.

coldfrog

Can you feel around inside?
Dec 22, 2008
One of my favorite games with time travel as a premise? Well, skipping the already mentioned obvious ones, I bet you might have forgotten that Radiant Silvergun involved time travel. No? You didn't forget? You never knew? No, you shouldn't have known... anyone who actually knows that has spent too much time looking up that kind of stuff.

Anyway, the game I played that best implemented time travel was almost certainly Braid. There are a couple flash games that I played as well that were utterly fantastic, but I can't really remember the names. I'll look that up sometime.

Thechessdragon said:
I personally loved a game for the gameboy advance called The Lost Vikings. It involved time travel, but more for the story. Actually only in the story.
That's actually a remake from the Genesis ;) Just gotta point it out cuz I'm that kind of guy. One of my faves as well.

Thomas Bambust

Mar 16, 2010
1. Future Perfect, one of the better time-travel games ever. It was a good game overall, had great multiplayer and an awesome, yet primer-confusing, plot.
2. Braid, ambitious, but flawed. Could've been a lot better, but did very good in the time-travel department.

The problem is that voluntary time travel is really hard to do on grand scale (notice how you never VOLUNTARILY go back 200 years? it always happens in cutscenes. In-game, 10 seconds is often the best you can manage.

So how about combining both of them?

Le_Lisra

norwegian cat
Jun 6, 2009
SaintWaldo said:
Yahtzee Croshaw said:
You could even bring up Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask and no doubt gain the approval of Chris E.
I'd rather bring up Legend of Labia: Majora's Minora, because I'm quite sure Chris E. never played with that toy set.
You sir, win for silliest pun of the day. :)

Burningsok

Jul 23, 2009
Jack and Calumon said:
Chris E. is truly a great man. He sure put you in your place Yahtzee! Ha Ha Ha.... Bored now.

Calumon: Half Life 2 had a way of travelling forward in time.

Jack: You've never played it! How the bloody hell do you know?

Calumon: I'm made of data and copy your memories while you sleep.
Oh... Jack, be careful of what you dream of. There's no telling what Calumon will do 0_0

Jim15

Jul 27, 2010
Timesplitters 3 was a really good FPS time travel based game. There weren't really many mechanics for the time travel, it's just that the game never took itself too seriously and as a result ended up being really fun. Lots of content in single player to unlock, tons of characters to play as in multiplayer, and memorable characters just made it a great experience overall. I miss FPS games like that.

Thunderhorse31

Apr 22, 2009
TheGreenManalishi said:
I'd argue that Majora's Mask is time travel done perfectly, in that it isn't a gameplay mechanic so much as part of the environment that can be controlled on a game-wide scale.
Gee, I never would have guessed you'd feel that way, judging from your avatar. That said, I agree wholeheartedly.

Le_Lisra said:
SaintWaldo said:
Yahtzee Croshaw said:
You sir, win for silliest pun of the day. :)
That just might be the pun of the year, let alone today. But I agree, good show.

Damn I'm agreeable today. I don't know what's wrong with me...
take advantage while you can

dennett316

Jun 30, 2010
ultimateownage said:
Uh, Yahtzee? Where the fuck's Timesplitters? So, you, you didn't include it? Well you have obviously never played the game, because any one who has would praise it for the best time travel game, and one of the best games, that has ever existed.
It doesn't use Time Travel as a gameplay mechanic, merely a plot device....damn fine games though, the most fun I've had with multiplayer ever.

Yahtzee Croshaw

Aug 8, 2007
Premonition said:
Edit: Also, Final Fantasy 8 deserves a mention for being so bat-shit insanely stupid.
Did you play through that game? or did you watch Spoony's review? Cause after watching his review I did some looking around and found out that it every bit as stupid as Noah made it sound.

OT:Chris is too cool to debate properly. That or he's a moron who just was begging to get ridiculed. Other than that, my favorite game involving time travel is the Prince Of Persia trilogy :p I mean, did you see his plan in the second game?

Knifewounds

Nov 18, 2009
One game that came to mind when you mention time as a "gameplay mechanic" is Cryostasis in which you can "penetrate another character's memory and change the actions taken by that character in the past" <---(wiki)to change history its self. Interesting premise to say the least however it is worth noting that the game got mixed reviews, but from my standpoint it was a fun, and relatively original game for me despite its flaws.

cauby

Apr 27, 2010
DannyboyO1 said:
m64 said:

- Prehistory;
- Roman Empire;
- Feudal Japan;
- Medieval Times;
- Wild West;
- Future;

That's the one I couldn't remember the title to! Thanks. :)
Another fan of Time Commando here.I used to play it a lot when I was a kid.It's really the first game that popped into my mind when yahtzee mentioned other time-traveling games.It didn't use time travel as a gameplay mechanic,but it was still great that in a single game you could use katanas,laser pistol,fight dragons,spaceman,lions (on the Coliseum).

maninahat

Nov 8, 2007
This would be one of his lazier articles this week.

My favourite time travel game so far would be in one episode during the second season of Sam & Max. Hilarious, clever, and the logic is a lot more straight foward than that of traditional point and click adventure games.

Drmonstereater

Feb 5, 2010
Wow, Chris E. really blew you out of the water. Better watch out, he might start writing counter arguments to ALL of your reviews.

Yahtzee Croshaw

Aug 8, 2007
Anyone here play Zork III?

There was time machine in that game (it took me awhile to figure it out - time machines aren't labelled as such, and don't have instruction manuals) that let you travel back, steal some jewels, hide them and return to your time to claim them.

randomrob

Aug 5, 2009
Good time-travel games....well apart from the Prince of Persia and Timesplitters games I don't think i could say I've played any. Timesplitters was pretty damn awesome though. Especially the multiplayer.

Premonition

Jan 25, 2010
Sinclose said:
Premonition said:
Did you play through that game? or did you watch Spoony's review? Cause after watching his review I did some looking around and found out that it every bit as stupid as Noah made it sound.

OT:Chris is too cool to debate properly. That or he's a moron who just was begging to get ridiculed. Other than that, my favorite game involving time travel is the Prince Of Persia trilogy :p I mean, did you see his plan in the second game?
I played through it until half an hour after the space thing ended. After that I just gave up, smashed my head on the controller and got drunk. (mind you, this was my second attempt at this game. First time I didn't get past the space part)

Corvuus

May 18, 2010
The point, if Yahtzee did mean this as a point, is that games should evolve/improve with each iteration/generation.

For various other products (iphone, processors, etc.) each generation is supposed to be an improvement over the 'old gen' and, for the most part, this tends to be true. People get better at making things, new tech, etc. etc. There are still the general hiccups like bad factory, mess up in manufacturing, etc. but 'ideally' there should be a 'bare-minimum' expected and delivered, plus maybe a little extra with each iteration.

His criticism of Super Mario Galaxy 2 is not that it is a 'bad game' per se, but that it doesn't change anything or bring anything new to the table. It is Super Mario Galaxy 1, re-released with some polish/make-up.

To continue on this point (of evolution of games), he arbitrarily decided to look at the history of "time traveling games". He could have easily picked "RTS", action, or anything else.

RTS might have been easier if it is just the 'game evolution' point, since there is Starcraft 2, and all the other RTS clones, etc. and what not and there is a 'clear' evolution (or lack thereof) in all the RTS games since Dune by Westwood.

However, the evolution of 'game genre' probably isn't what he wanted. He wanted the evolution of a "GAME MECHANIC". Time-travel not as a story or backstory, but as an actual game mechanic and how it has improved/changed over time.

I am not 100% sure why he picked 'Future wars'. It could have completely replaced "time travel device" to alternate dimension device/portal and it would work out just as well. He may have picked it as the 'beginning' and 'worst' iteration of time travel as just 'backstory' instead of a game-mechanic.

There are then two 'main' types of time-travel mechanics in terms of games.

1. 'long' global Time-Travel. Mainly in changing the setting. I.e. you are at the 'same' place spatially but different temporally and there is a relatively large gap of time in between (years).

Chrono Trigger, Day of the Tentacle, etc. would fall under this. You change the time but it is the same 'world'.

2. 'short' local Time-Travel. This is for all the action-oriented/instant time travel/forward/rewind of seconds or longer and can rewind 'localized' space. i.e. just you, or just some object.

Prince of Persia, and other action games with a 'rewind' mechanic would fall under this. I haven't played Braid yet (i own a copy) but it seems like it would fall under this category as well.

Either way, games should either

a. Improve upon the 'normal' time-travel mechanics
b. make up a different 'good' time-travel mechanic (a point 3).

If you are going to outright copy a previous game's time-travel mechanic without any improvement (or potentially making it worse), then there should be other improvements/polish that would make me want to play say, Singularity, over just going to go play a different game that delivers everything I want.

This could be the point Yahtzee is trying to make. Of course, assuming that everyone is logical and has a 'point' would self-destruct if we analyze Chris E.

Corv

MGlBlaze

Oct 28, 2009
Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask is quite possibly my favourite Zelda game, oddly enough.

Also, Chris E. is obviousely a genius. He must be a member of The fucking Prometheus Society or something.

Stabby Joe said:
I can now see Chris E becoming something of an in-joke at the Escapist.
I think you might be right.

Knifewounds

Nov 18, 2009
Sinclose said:
Premonition said:

I gained a love hate relationship with FF8 after seeing the spoony review. I mean as a kid playing FF8 I enjoyed it, but coming to term with its flaws kinda killed a small part of my childhood, but still. FF8 wasn't that good, and I'm still going through therapy trying to cope with that fact *sniff*

OT: Who is Chris!?

Yahtzee Croshaw

Aug 8, 2007
Premonition said:
Sinclose said:
Premonition said:

I played through it until half an hour after the space thing ended. After that I just gave up, smashed my head on the controller and got drunk. (mind you, this was my second attempt at this game. First time I didn't get past the space part)
Did you really get drunk? Yeah I understand you, must be awful going through that space part. I mean when I was watching the review I though 'what the hell were they thinking'? And what's more, the plot got a lot worse after that!

Do you know of Spoony? I'd advise you to go watch his very, very long episodic review in case you haven't seen it yet. It's epic and hilarious beyond words XD

Premonition

Jan 25, 2010
Sinclose said:
Premonition said:
Sinclose said:
Premonition said:

Did you really get drunk? Yeah I understand you, must be awful going through that space part. I mean when I was watching the review I though 'what the hell were they thinking'? And what's more, the plot got a lot worse after that!

Do you know of Spoony? I'd advise you to go watch his very, very long episodic review in case you haven't seen it yet. It's epic and hilarious beyond words XD
ATTN MODS: last offtopic, I swear xD

I honestly don't get drunk. I can feel the booze's effects making me lightheaded and all. But ... beyond that, nothing xD I did try my very, very best though after I played it on my second attempt. (I was like 17 or something ...)

And yes, I have seen almost everything that the man has to offer. Besides his Wrestling stuff. The man is an internet god.

RelexCryo

Oct 21, 2008
In pretty much every game you use time travel, in a non-canonical manner- you use do-overs. You die/fail and then try again. For you, the payer, this is time travel, ala Prince of Persia. But for the your character, they are actually doing this for the first time when you finally succeed. Looking at this from the perspective of canon/roleplaying this creates a wierd disconnect between gameplay and storyline, where you the player know everything that is about to happen and always happen to be in the right place at the right time, despite the fact there is no way your character could canonically know this.

You character *acts* like he is a time traveler from the near future, knowing everything before it happens, but canonically he didn't die and then reverse time 7 times in a row while you, the player, figured things out.

ultimateownage

Feb 11, 2009
dennett316 said:
ultimateownage said:
It doesn't use Time Travel as a gameplay mechanic, merely a plot device....damn fine games though, the most fun I've had with multiplayer ever.
What about Time Splitters 3? Where you would have to travel forward in time slightly to help your future self complete a task?

The Noble Shade

Dec 24, 2008
Why can't people simply acknowledge the opinions of others without using crass insults to berate them?

Good article though. I have an idea for a game I want to make, and this article convinced me not to use time-travel mechanics. I just don't think I could implement them properly.

Matt Witte

Jul 7, 2010
Well, as far as time travel games it appears he was going for time travel as more of a central theme of the game rather then just a part of it (as for why chrono trigger was ignored, well its a JRPG). As not to copy the post of time shift, I'd say another game I found entertaining was the legacy of Kain series, whether or not this qualifies is up to each person to judge, since only really in soul reaver 2 and in legacy of kain defiance was time travel really a central theme.

sheah1

Jul 4, 2010
Yeah I'd have to go with Timesplitters 3 too, the final couple levels and the way they all come together is beautiful.

mexicola

Feb 10, 2010
My personal favourite would be Legacy of Kain series. It doesn't include time travelling as a gameplay mechanic but the story is chock full of time travelling mindfuckery.

Kapol

Watch the spinning tails...
May 2, 2010
Well, I liked Majora's Mask myself, though it could get a bit annoying. The Timesplitters series was one of the best shooter series I can remember (hurry playing as tiny monkey of doom in space!). Sam and Max episode 204 used time travel effectively for an adventure game, and was interesting to see. And then that's Braid, which had fun time mechanics for a puzzle game.

OceanRunner

Mar 18, 2009
What about Okami when...
you went back in time to re-enact the first defeat of Orochi 100 years ago.

WanderingFool

Apr 9, 2009
Personally, I loved the Time splitters series, specially 3. Was also funny to see the constant anomalies with Cortez.

awatkins

Oct 17, 2008
Premonition said:

Hee Hee. I loved the silly wittiness of TimeSplitter. IMO it was superbly done and other FPS should really take notes, especially on the gameplay feature where you and your buddy (or sibling) can do a FULL story Co-0p mode. It really annoys me when FPS these day only integrate on-line co-0p modes and completely forget about how much fun a split screen full co-0p mode can be. There really is no exscuse either, what with TVs being all huge, flat and high resolution. Does anyone remember what it was like playing 4 player death matches of Golden Eye on a 26" CRT TV? I do.

Anyway, my favorite Time Travel game. Race Driver: Grid. Yes, I know, Time Travel in a Racer! whoa man!
In each race you have the ability (5 chances) to travel back in time up to 10second so you can correct little mistakes like driving into walls, into the sand, launching yourself into the air and doing a barrel roll, or just to take the perfect apex as a means to pass your rival. Kind of like Sands of Time, but in a car.

The Youth Counselor

Sep 20, 2008
The Escapist should give Chris E. his own feature.

He has such unique views and shares takes his time to write share to us all in his own eloquent way.

ExileNZ

Dec 15, 2007
Mackheath said:
Hubilub said:

i think cris e is eh pretty cool guy. eh fights Yahtzee and doesn't afraid of anything.

Ah well, fail troll is fail, so I will simply hoist my 2 cents on top of this pile of loose change.

Time travel is always a confusing subject for me; the only game I really understood it with was TimeSPlitters and-after a year- Second Sight. Which, during the first playthrough, skull-fucked my sense of knowing.
I'm a big fan of Chrono Trigger, but I'm also definitely stepping up for Second Sight. Major brain-fuck and so worth it. The one thing that sucked was (spoiler) the hero's magical ability to stand around in cutscenes while imoportant people get killed (/spoiler).

songnar

Modulator
Oct 26, 2008
No mention of The Journeyman Project series at all? Shame, I rather liked The Legacy of Time.

Thedayrecker

Jun 23, 2010
*sigh* I just wish Darkest of Days (which has time travel, so it isn't off topic) didn't suck balls....

SFR

Mar 26, 2009
Pseudonym2 said:
That is an extremely good point. Steven Hawking asked "Where's all the time travelers?" The answer? Dead in space.

Jan 13, 2010
I loved the use of time travel, or rather, time distortion, in Outcast (Appeal, 1999), where you and another group of scientists enter a foreign world because they want to fix a homemade portal ticking like a time bomb, but enter at different times. Anyone familiar with that game?

Phuctifyno

Jul 6, 2010
maninahat said:
My favourite time travel game so far would be in one episode during the second season of Sam & Max. Hilarious, clever, and the logic is a lot more straight foward than that of traditional point and click adventure games.
"You j-JERKS!!!!","You made us live the last year and a half all over again." - Best time travel gag I think I 've ever seen. lol

But yeah, I'm on board with Majora's Mask. What makes it work is the daily schedules all of the NPC's have that can be intervened with and used to move forward in a timeline outside of time.

And why hasn't anybody mentioned Turtles In Time?

duchaked

Dec 25, 2008
Premonition said:

Chris...inspiration, entertainment, representation of us all indeed

TimeSplitters =D loved those games...not sure if I ever fully finished 3 but had some great times with 2

mmm FF8, such a beautifully written plot involving time travel... cough. lol no

Yahtzee Croshaw

Aug 8, 2007
Premonition said:
***TIME COMPRESSION! wooooooooh!!*** Yeah that was pretty bat shit insane and makes me gawp at people who say with a straight face that they loved the plot/ sorytelling. It dosen't just make little sense it makes NO sense.

Anyway i loved the time-travel in Okami where you get to live the legand of Shiranui and Nagi and also shows a little bit of history repeating and also shows a little bit of- ok i'll stop now.

On SMG2, there is a weird denial in the Nintendo fanboy camp about nintendo's place in the world. I don't think many can actually grasp anyone thinking anything but perfect of a Nintendo game. I've met these people, they are almost as bad as the sonic fanbase. Almost.

Knifewounds

Nov 18, 2009
The Noble Shade said:
Why can't people simply acknowledge the opinions of others without using crass insults to berate them.

Good article though. I have an idea for a game I want to make, and this article convinced me not to use time-travel mechanics. I just don't think I could implement them properly.
Speaking as a game designer I think the best way to implement time travel is to have it effect the current scenario. Lets say the your time traveling machine can only take you 3 minutes in the pasts, and 3 minutes into the future, and the scenario is, A group of about 2 swat teams consisting of 4 people rush into a large warehouse from the 2 different doors while you were looting the place for important documents around the middle of area were its easy to get flanked, and killed. Now if your a good level designer you'll make it so there are many ways to get out of this dilemma. One of which would be to go back in time to warn your self about to attack, tell him exactly where the documents are, and form an attack plan to take out the teams since there are now 2 of you able to fight them off, or form an escape plan that requires both of your selves to reach a window that would require a boast to reach. Now what I just described was a relatively generic action scene commonly found in games, but I wanted to give a simple example of how to use time travel to effect the scenario's set up, but now you have to think about all the awesome things that changing the levels outcomes would have on the story, I mean you could have how you use your powers subtly, or majorly effect the plot as it flows. Let me explain. This version of time travel makes it easy to accidentally clone your self, and within all the confusion of doing that way to often would cause the main character to have an identity crisis which could effect his combat performance due the the anxiety he/she would feel from thinking he/she just the memories of someone else who inadvertently duplicated him/herself. This would also effect the characters motives, and course of actions that would greatly change the outcome whatever was happening in the plot. This kind of design would also leave room to make a less linear game which many time traveling games seem to lack which is ironic because wouldn't time travel effect the whole flow of things? I think the main flaw with a lot of these games is that time travel is often just used as a way to fix mistakes, or slow down time to get a shot into someone before they have time to pull the trigger.

Fuloqwam

Jul 29, 2009
Turtles in Time. Best time-travel game ever. Ninjas, robots, and time machines.

your evil twin

Jun 25, 2010
EightGaugeHippo said:
Timesplitters has time trvvel in it, but does it count since there is no game mechanics revolving around time manipulation?
The third game Timesplitters: Future Perfect does use time travel as a mechanic. There are several bits of the game where your future self gives your past self a key or useful device or weapon... and in some levels you actually team up with yourself to protect yourself! (There are some levels that have 4 versions of yourself all at the same time!) There's also a level that features time disruption grenades that cause anyone caught in the blast to go into slow motion bullettime.

Loonerinoes said:
TimeShift is quite fun, and a must-have if you like bullet time or time manipulation etc etc. It's starts off so-so (not bad but not great), but gets better when you're about an hour in.

Pro-tip: if you play on PC, rebind the controls so the mousewheel is for time powers rather than scroll weapons. Scroll up to slow time, down to reverse it, and press middle mouse to freeze it. Also, don't get it on Steam. The Steam version is unpatched, version 1.0.

Nice thing about xbox 360 version is that it had exclusive multiplayer DLC mappacks, one of them was free. Not many people play TimeShift multiplayer anymore, but there's usually one or two games active.

(Yes, I have it on both PC and 360, because the only people playing multiplayer on PC were Russians that wanted to play in nothing but one-bullet-kills mode. So I bought it for 360 for about £2, and can now play a proper deathmatch game.)

EightGaugeHippo

Apr 6, 2010
your evil twin said:
EightGaugeHippo said:
The third game Timesplitters: Future Perfect does use time travel as a mechanic. There are several bits of the game where your future self gives your past self a key or useful device or weapon... and in some levels you actually team up with yourself to protect yourself! (There are some levels that have 4 versions of yourself all at the same time!) There's also a level that features time disruption grenades that cause anyone caught in the blast to go into slow motion bullettime.
WOW, as if I actually forgot about all that!
I was thinking more along the lines of "at the push of a button" time manipulation though. But yeah, I guess TS:FP does count now.

BTW
I lol'd at your post, you just described my favorite game to me. =D
I really hate that puzzle where there are four Cortezs.

Yahtzee Croshaw

Aug 8, 2007
Well people, be glad that when I ***** about Yahtzee, I don't sink to Chris E.'s level. Seriously, that little shit reminds me waaaaay too much of the people who leave comments at GameTrailers.

Anyways, I find it a bit of a coincidence he talks about time travel in games the same day I decide to start playing Chrono Trigger again.

Dash-X

Aug 17, 2009
I liked Majora's Mask (even though I didn't finish it). It was like the movie Groundhog's Day, except it took place over three days instead of one, and the moon was threatening to kill everything. Two words: Milk Bar.

TimeLord

For the Emperor!
Legacy
Apr 5, 2020
Time Travel in games is rarely done well.

Ratchet and Clank did good time manipulation, but not travel

TimeSplitters time travel did not have direct effect on anything else. It was just used to make cool battlegrounds for the shoot outs. (Note: I have not played TS3)

I can't think of anything else at the moment.

Damn the:
[HEADING=1]Time Paradoxes![/HEADING]

Yahtzee Croshaw

Aug 8, 2007
I actually like this person that tried or did burn you. Still, you openly mocking them is always a fun thing to witness. People who mention you are insecure, dear God, they probaly don't even attempted to try to understand you.

All-in-all, interesting article. Not brilliant but I love every EP either way!

Steve the Pocket

Mar 30, 2009
Next week: Games that use time travel as an excuse to set the levels in different eras instead of just different places around the world. (Crash Bandicoot: Warped, Pac-Man: Adventures in Time, etc.) I swear there are as many of those as there are legitimate time travel games, if not more.

RC1138

Dec 9, 2009
Probably Darkest of Days. And probably for the same reason Yahtzee found it interesting in his ZP review; something about shooting the entire confederate army with a future assault rifle. That said it's about as realistic depiction of time travel as some of Yahtzee's analogies.

El_Moss

Jul 21, 2009
Though not technically time TRAVEL, when anyone mentions gameplay involving time manipulation Braid is the game that comes to my mind. I think it might be my favourite game ever, it's definitely one of them.

Mordwyl

Feb 5, 2009
The Journeyman Project series thrived on this element, especially in the second game where you're put under house arrest because future you did a crime.

Dash-X

Aug 17, 2009
Sonic CD's time travel actually allowed you to change the future (but, oddly, not the present) of any given area by going into the past, and destroying some device. Areas in the altered future were a bit easier to navigate and look at (due to a lack of brown over everything)...

The_ModeRazor

Jul 29, 2009
Assassin's Creed.
When you killed Robert de Shotgun, you could see a picture of Lucy with blood on her clothes. Guess what happens in the next game?

tamerman

Jul 17, 2009
tuely this chriss-E is a master-debater.

What i wouldn?t mind would be a game (FPS?) that records your actions as you do them, then later on you go back in time and watch yourself from the opposite ends of security cameras or some such, and assist your unknowing past self by opening doors, closing doors, sniping tough enemies you never knew were sneaking up on you, and other such things to make sure you stay alive long enough to fulfill the role you are doing now.

it would probably be necessary to make sure that while assisting yourself you never come into direct contact or allow him to know you exist. Mostly due to the fact that the game cant see the future, and may depict your future self as a polite man who wishes to help his former self, when really you wind up jumping all around the room and shooting holes in the walls.

also: majoras mask is awesome

JediMB

Oct 25, 2008
Premonition said:
Not as much stupid as... convoluted... and not in a good way.

Ken Sapp

Cat Herder
Apr 1, 2010
My favorite game that uses time travel mechanics is Chrono Trigger. Which Yahtzee claimed to like but will probably still berate me for choosing because it's a JRPG and god forbid anyone like those games. [bold]But time travel mechanics in that game are limited to plot and have little to no bearing on actual gameplay.[/bold] (No, I don't care to argue the legitimacy of JRPG mechanics as gameplay, TYVM.)

Also Yahtzee will probably weep with yellow anger when he hears I'm going to buy Singularity, which I already decided before I saw his video. Or maybe he won't weep since it's a person thinking with their own mind, rather than letting games journalists do it for them. Which is something he advocated for, wasn't it?
Actually they did have one effect on gameplay that I recall(roo many years since I last played), The special boxes that required a certain pendant to open would have different items in them depending upon which time period you opened them in. The later the time period the better the item and if you opened them in an earlier time period they would not be available in the future time periods.

zjspeed

Jan 19, 2010
Space Quest IV

Roger embarks on a time-travel adventure through Space Quest games both past and future. An infomorph of reborn Sludge Vohaul from Space Quest XII: Vohaul's Revenge II chases Roger through time in an attempt to finally kill him. Roger also visits Space Quest X: Latex Babes of Estros and Space Quest I; in the latter, the graphics and music revert to the style of the original game and Roger is threatened by a group of monochromatic bikers who consider Roger's 256 colors pretentious. No gameplay takes place in Space Quest IV.

Mr Scott

Apr 15, 2008
Weeelll... MGS3 was technically a time travel game, insofar as any time you happen to die the Game Over screen caption changes to: Time Paradox; this also happens if you kill any characters critical to the rest of the series:
Ocelot is Revolver Ocelot!

Dfskelleton

Apr 6, 2010
Chris E. is probably going to end up referenced in some upcoming Yahtzee video. What a pathetic excuse for a letter trying to prove a point. I actually laughed out loud.
I've always been confused by time travel, and I might pick up Singularity if I can find it cheap.

k-ossuburb

Jul 31, 2009
Jak And Daxter 2 and any of the Timesplitters games.

Jak and Daxter for that pretty cool "twist" at the end where
it turns out you're in the past, not the future. It was easy to guess but at least the effort was made
and also because it's actually just fun, it had its faults but it's still enjoyable once-in-a-while.

Same goes for Timesplitters (any of them) I haven't played them all but they were also not only funny in places but a load of good fun to play.

Both games were like a round of tequila slammers; a lot of fun, not really all that original and a little immature but only keep their charm if consumed in small doses.

Edit: just realized they don't really "count", but I've got nothing else, so that'll have to do.

Infernai

Apr 14, 2009
Legacy of Kain: Soul Reaver, Soul Reaver 2 and Defiance. All three involve time travel.

Yahtzee Croshaw

Aug 8, 2007
Ken Sapp said:
My favorite game that uses time travel mechanics is Chrono Trigger. Which Yahtzee claimed to like but will probably still berate me for choosing because it's a JRPG and god forbid anyone like those games. [bold]But time travel mechanics in that game are limited to plot and have little to no bearing on actual gameplay.[/bold] (No, I don't care to argue the legitimacy of JRPG mechanics as gameplay, TYVM.)

Actually they did have one effect on gameplay that I recall(roo many years since I last played), The special boxes that required a certain pendant to open would have different items in them depending upon which time period you opened them in. The later the time period the better the item and if you opened them in an earlier time period they would not be available in the future time periods.
I think that was in FFVI, actually. The boxes in the starting area had better stuff if you waited until the second part of the game to open them.

Dracosage

Feb 23, 2010
I really enjoyed Sam and Max 204: Chariots of the Dogs. They basically used time travel to different places to get what they needed similar to the way you describe in Day of the Tentacle but with significantly more mariachi birthday singers from space. It even involves having your past selves (from season one) come to the present so you can get a key item that you had to use in the previous season [hilariously, past Sam walks around saying "I can't shoot my little buddy" and "I can't use these two things together(despite there not being a 'use two objects together' mechanic) as though he were being controlled by you from the past]. They also kind of use it again in the most recent season, only Sam and Max are watching a film of their ancestors solving the secret of the tomb of Sammun-Mak - only the tape comes in four reels and you can skip between them. Cue you having to look at a future tape and solve a puzzle to find out what great you idea you already gave to elves working for corporate master Santa and the like.

urathgodofsudani

Jul 16, 2010
By far the best time travel game as well as the best adventure game I've ever played is Journeyman Project 3: legacy of time particularly for it's use of time travel to bring you to Atlantis, Shangri-la, and El Dorado both the day after and day before their destruction. The cultural studies that went into the cities as well as the historical facts given to you by your companion Arthur the artificial intelligence give it the most stylish take on time travel I know of.

Dora

Jul 13, 2009
I'm actually not much for time travel games. They either go out of their way trying to make their concepts sound legitimately scientific (and wind up wrong AND boring), or they take the Doctor Who route and say, "Well, time's just like that. Stuff can happen this way because we need it to."

I guess if you NEED to have time travel, I liked the way it was handled in Chrono Trigger. There were the big world-altering events that were pretty obvious (defeat the bad guy so you don't wind up with a dystopian future), but you had subtle parts as well. I remember in the starting village or nearby there was a very rich family and the father was extremely rude and selfish. But if you took the time to bring his ancestor something she needed, and give it to her freely despite how valuable it is, the next time you visit the future you find her descendant is now generous because she's taught her children about selflessness. Corny? Sure, a little. But it was simple and unobtrusive to the gameplay so that when you DID notice things like that happening, you went "Oh, neat!" and went on playing. Just a nice addition.

BlindChance

Librarian
Sep 8, 2009
World of Warcraft did a lovely job with a time travel scenario in the most recent expansion. At one point, you have to fight off a horde of enemies to protect a beacon that is (if I remember correctly) basically healing a loop in the time continuum. But to give you an edge, a future version of yourself appears, traveling back in time to assist.

And he/she spends the whole time borderline insulting you, whispering such things to you as, "I can't believe that I used to wear that," "Look at you fight; no wonder I turned to drinking," and "Wow, I'd forgotten how inexperienced I used to be." (Also, one of my favorites: "Listen. I'm not supposed to tell you this, but there's going to be this party that you're invited to. Whatever you do, DO NOT DRINK THE PUNCH!") As he/she leaves, he/she notes, "Farewell. Keep us alive and get some better equipment!"

Of course, this means that later on... you get a quest to back in time and help out your past self. Who spends the whole time borderline insulting you, whispering such things to you as, "This equipment looks cool and all, but couldn't we have done a little better? Are you even raiding?" "I think I'm going to turn to drinking after this," and "Looks like I'm an underachiever."

Apparently in World of Warcraft, you're a real whiner.

moosek

Nov 5, 2009
I don't need Chris E's approval to enjoy Majora's Mask, but it's use of time travel isn't so much a gameplay mechanic as it is a story device. Also if you try to play Majora's Mask and watch Groundhog day at the same time, the universe will cave in around you.

My favorite time travel related game instance was when you were thrown into the future at the beginning of Half-Life 2. I really haven't seen a game do anything interesting or dynamic with time travel.

Yahtzee Croshaw

Aug 8, 2007
Daikatana was actually pretty cool. Great level design.... Romero-ish.

Gotta play it again some day. I'm beginning to wonder whether I'm not just idealizing it.

AWDMANOUT

Jan 4, 2010
I thought the way they used short-term time travel in God of War was rather interesting, if just a way to make the plot go further.

And just imagine if all master debaters were like this Chris E. How interesting the world would be, eh?

ReverseEngineered

Raving Lunatic
Apr 30, 2008
Count me in for Braid. Not only was the time-travel mechanic central to the gameplay, but it included several interesting variations and it even tied into the overall story and theme. Unlike most other games where time-travel is turned into a convenient "bullet time" excuse (just to make the game easier for those unskilled at FPSes), time travel was essential to completing the puzzles in Braid. It was sublime.

Chrono Trigger was good too. Each time period was considerably different, with different environments, characters, and the like. What happened in what period affected other periods in a logical sequence, without resorting to the "butterfly effect" cliche (only important changes had lasting effects).

LostTimeLady

Dec 17, 2009
Interesting article as always from Yahzee.

Time travel done well in a video game is great, in fact, the best ones are when you forget you end up time travelling at all, like in Majora's Mask. You stop thinking, 'ok, I'm now three days in the past, first things first, slow down time...' instead it just becomes part of the game play machanics.

It's interesting how many video games do feature time travel... hmmm... must be a Doctor Who thing (joke, well, semi-joke, DW came before video games).

Serenegoose

Faerie girl in hiding
Mar 17, 2009
Hey, what was wrong with Majora's mask? It was one of the few Zelda games that actually tried something different, and it was massively creepy and surreal. I actually liked how it embraced metagaming, and several of the plots required you to use information you'd gained later to solve things earlier.

Plus the Anju/Kafei quest arc is amazingly sweet. I actually got a little annoyed when I had to leave the city and go do the main plot because I really enjoyed going around fixing things for people.

nothri

Mar 10, 2010
Legacy of Kain was one of the most elegantly told stories, masterfully voiced and cleverly written despite the inclusion of time travel (which has caused more than one narrative to get bogged down in the temporal illogic). Soul Reaver and Defiance are excellent examples of the sort of game you want to play despite the clunky gameplay and often frustrating puzzles. It really is my prime example of a game that works mostly because of the story and the actors rather than the gameplay, to the point where you are willing to soldier on past the most frustrating parts to get to the next piece in the narrative.

Kooler

May 31, 2008
Now that I think about it the only game that I've ever played that had time travel, and wasn't mentioned in this article, was Chrono Trigger. Although, Chrono Trigger used time travel as more of a plot device than an actual gameplay mechanic.

Slinker07

Jan 14, 2009
My favorit time travel game is probably The Darkness. It feels like that game is the only thing in the world who came with an accrute view how world war 1 was.

Supp

Nov 17, 2009
I'd say Chrono Trigger, but time travel didn't really affect much except how good the items you found were.

But I'm Still Hungry...

Yahtzee Croshaw

Aug 8, 2007
I've always been curious about how game developers implement "time travel".
In most games, you just travel between eras that are essentially the Dark World. You know, the Dark World, from every game that has two identical and overlapping worlds. It's shaped just like the "normal" world, yet a few things are different, notably it being dark.
So for time travel, what you get is this same concept, and the worlds are labeled as different "times". For instance, Ocarina of Time has two overlapping worlds, Oracle of Ages has 3, Seasons has 4, Chrono Trigger has 5 (6 if you include Day of Lavos).
Now, some are different and more chronologically oriented. In games like Seasons, Link to the Past, the multiple worlds are said to exist simultaneously. Affecting a static object in one world will affect the other, and vice versa. In contrast, when you have different worlds at different chronological points, time only flows one way. An action in the past will affect the present or future, but not vice versa. But aside from this, there's no difference.
This always bothered me slightly, because the time travel seems slightly inconsistent. If I anger someone in "the past", then when I return to "the past" why is he still angry? If my time machine can travel to the year 1000, and in the year 1000 I'm convicted of a crime, then why can't I go back to before the crime? It's because in these games, I'm not traveling through time, rather through overlapping dimensions where the order of inter-dimensional effects only goes one way.
Now there's nothing wrong with this. I'm just speaking my mind.

On an entirely unrelated note, does anybody remember Putt Putt Travels through Time for the PC?

Judgement101

Mar 29, 2010
I think Chris E. should not mail people anymore or bad things might happen to their...............yea I don't know where I was going with that.

OT: I honestly didn't notice many games had time manipualtion stuff (OTHER than bullet time)

Feylynn

Feb 16, 2010
I indeed will take that suggestion and say that Majora's Mask is probably my very favorite time travel involving game ever. Even without the aid of Time as a theme it qualifies to beat out most other games in many many categories.
Though Chris.E can keep his approval I just need to wave the Majora's Mask banner all shiny with pride. =L

Prince of Persia Sands of Time and Warrior Within both qualify for second on their merits of narrative and game play respectively.

Ocarina of Time would probably make third.

Schadenfreude

Dec 4, 2007
I have a huge deal of respect for Majora's Mask --Not for the game itself, mind, I actually couldn't give a rat's ass about it; but for inspiring this timeless piece of journalism clusterfuckery:

"To live life is to don a mask each and every day. Our true selves are seldom exposed to the world at large; to show everything to the people we must share our existences with would be to risk the ultimate rejection. We are what we think others want to see, and we live our lives doing this each and every day until it's impossible to tell where the mask ends and we begin. A mere decoration becomes a metaphor for humanity's hard time on planet Earth. We are the masks we wear."

WE ARE THE MASKS WE WEAR, YOU HEAR ME? TT___TT

Ah, it never gets old.

And of course the subsequent Old Man Murray artical [http://www.oldmanmurray.com/features/753.html].

dee_dubs

Nov 8, 2007
My favourite time travel premise for a game is probably Original War. America has discovered a time machine, and Russia has discovered a super-rare mineral that allows cold fusion. America sends people back in time to when it was all one giant super-continent, to dig up this mineral from what will be Russia and bury it in what will be America. However, on arriving in the past you discover that your actions there create a timeline where Russia found the time machine and America had the mineral, so Russia sent people back in time for pretty much the same reason as the Americans did. This then creates another timeline where a third party gets the time machine and gets involved, and you end up with a massive war between relatively small groups of people millions of years into the past. It's an awesome game. Go try it.

pearcinator

Apr 8, 2009
Wait Yahtzee...you mentioned Majoras Mask at the end there...but in a way that sounds like you didnt like it.

If that is true then you can go jump off a fucking cliff! Majoras Mask is fantastic! I urge you to play that game again to see why its such an amazing game and why it is the most mature Zelda game ever made.

Yahtzee Croshaw

Aug 8, 2007
Ratchet and Clank a crack in time had time manipulation and i thought it was pretty good. Games using bullet time just let the player know that they arent good enough to play the game under the regular speed.

Gilfareth

Jul 12, 2010
As I asked with the Mario Galaxy 2 thread, what is the point of this? I played Timeshift, and considered it alright in story, though gameplay was at times adequate, and at others fucking confusing. Level design wasn't the best, either.

But the thing is, instead of discussing which games with time travel involved we prefer, why don't we discuss the actual gameplay mechanics for time travel/manipulation that truly worked? After all, it would fit a bit better with the subject matter than 'i think chorno Cross was the berst game evar!!!!', and might even be useful to whatever aspiring developers (LIKE ME) decide to look at this thread.

To me, Yahtzee has always been a source of at least two things: a good laugh, and good ideas. From the design and commentary on the Chzo Mythos, to his reviews of games with Zero Punctuation, Yahtzee has always made something that I could look at and extrapolate good information or ideas from. So why not help, people, instead of turning this into just another opinion thread?

Second thoughts: Besides, although time travel isn't really a gameplay mechanic, I still think the Chzo Mythos are the best games to actually incorporate time travel. Storywise, at least; some puzzles were an absolute ***** to get through.

ZetaAnime

Jul 21, 2010
Well I guess I'll join the band wagon and say hands down for a time traveling game is Chrono Trigger. But then again The Legend of Zelda: Oracle of Season had a sort of time traveling mechanics to it if you count changing the season when necessary. oh and just because its probably hasn't been mentioned yet but ape escape did a alright job with time travel as well.
TIMBAP_AJR

adam5396

Feb 12, 2010
Time travel games, That's something I haven't thought about. Although the newest Ratchet & Clank (Crack in Time) Had some pretty interesting ways of using time manipulation. Even if I can't think of examples at this time.

Personally, I love slo-mo powers. Especially in First Person Shooters.

Jack Bz

Jul 16, 2010
Majora's Mask is the only Zelda game I loved, because it was different. I think it's a really amazing starting point for a mechanic that was never improved upon (not that I've really searched, I could very easily be wrong). I'd love to see it done amazingly intricately with like, 20 days, on a whole world, that you could just reset again to see what you missed. I'd like an Extra Punctuation paragraph on why you don't like it (which is what I'm assuming) because a man can dream.

Ravinak

Nov 5, 2008
Caverns of Time in WoW, some of you may not like the game, but being able to play through some of the missions from WC3 in a new perspective is simply awesome!

greatgreybeast

Jul 9, 2008
I don't remember how much it was tied into actual gameplay, but Dark Fall: Lights Out had a cool three-time-periods mechanic similar to Day of the Tentacle.

SandroTheMaster

Apr 2, 2009
The Discworld-based adventurer, although it didn't revolve around time travel, had one of its main mechanics revolving around Rincewind's capacity to use the dark corners of the Unseen University's Library to go back in time 12 hours.

Among the things you'd use this power for includes:

Finding yourself 12 hours prior sleeping in the park hammered from the reverse-time made liquor you'd still drink in the future, so you can put a frog on your own mouth in order to block your snoring from blowing a butterfly away.

Releasing said butterfly on a spot a cleric in dark mantles would give his sermon 12 hours later so that it'd cause a storm on that spot, wetting his mantle and forcing him to put it away so you can steal it.

Participating on the ritual that summoned the Dragon you're trying to deal with in the present to know how the ritual was made and who's responsible, but probably becoming the reason it was summoned in the first place.

Put a sheet over your head to scare a guy you know was scared by a ghost in the present.

If I'd remember more I'd post it, but that game was way too confusing without adding time-traveling to the mix. Good adventurer though, but completely mad.

Speakercone

May 21, 2010
SandroTheMaster said:
If I'd remember more I'd post it, but that game was way too confusing without adding time-traveling to the mix. Good adventurer though, but completely mad.
Yup, that's pretty much how Pratchett rolls. :)

Cliff_m85

Feb 6, 2009
Wait, to get attention from Yahtzee all we have to do is talk smack?

Branston Pickle sucks, Joss Whedon is a genius, Psychonauts is the worst game ever made, and all Australians/Brits (same difference) smell incredibly horrid. Also, the reason you dislike games is because you can't play them properly. Yahtzee? More like Nahtzee!

Simriel

The Count of Monte Cristo
Dec 22, 2008
Serious Sam. The entire game is based around you stopping the future happening by changing the past. Its why all the enemies teleport in. They are sent from the future.

verindae

May 22, 2010
I'm surprised no-one has mentioned Shadow of Memories yet, going back in time to find out who keeps killing you in the present, or is it just that everyone hated it? lol

beema

Aug 19, 2009
I'm going to agree with pretty much everyone else on here. Chrono Trigger -- best time travel-based game, hands down.

It may not of been completely scientifically accurate, but well... time travel isn't exactly science yet anyways.

Best game with time travel where it didn't actually effect the gameplay at all? Sure, TMNT Turtles In Time was pretty awesome.

Games on my "to-do" list involving time travel:
Cryostasis
Mario & Luigi: Partners in Time

Oh, and Red Alert was sort of premised on time travel, although the gameplay didn't involve it. Loved that one.

This article felt pretty half-assed. The list of games was woefully inadequate. Like he said, Wikipedia had the damn list already for him, he couldn't of spent a little more time picking some more meaningful games and dissecting them?

Glamorgan

Seer of Light
Aug 16, 2009
"Dear Yahtzee,

You are a ******. You suck the penis of over 100 different species of animal. You enjoy being raped up the bum by old, hairy men. Your dick is smaller than an average 12 year old's. All you do is say stupid things on teh internet for a living. You have a fetish for grandmas. Go and fuck yourself. Super Mario Galaxy 2 is the best."

This is the example I will use the next time someone asks me what a Nintendo Fanboy is. Thank you Chris E. You made my day.

Rasputin1

Don't panic
Apr 6, 2010
Kollega said:
Lvl 64 Klutz said:
Achron? They're still doing it. It's currently in alpha, and i may consider buying it.
I'm incredibly intrigued by that game... I want it.

Sexbad

Mar 31, 2010
Yahtzee, you crazy past-altering superhuman, Cryostasis. If you can soak your PC in enough liquid nitrogen you should try it. Oddly enough it's a mystery game despite the shooting happening. You see, you go into people's memories from before they die to fix the timeline to a happy place, but it's about learning about their actions and what all of their mutations into creepy monsters mean and shit. It's very unique, but I'm at odds as to whether you would like it, debating between mediocre gunplay on the top and the world's greatest video game story and use of mystery as a gameplay element underneath.

Well you'll probably just ignore this. But it would make for a neat review for a time when not much is really coming out. Like, for instance, now.

Redlin5_v1legacy

Better Red than Dead
Aug 5, 2009
esperandote said:
Back to the future NES... I can't think of any other.
I remember the horror that was that game!

Haha, I wonder if Chris E has a user account here on the Escapist?

Jelly ^.^

Mar 11, 2010
It pains me to have to be yet another person to harp it, but I loved the Journeyman Project series, particularly the first. Photo-realistic graphics? Filmed FMV sequences? Oh my. Also, the premise of monopolising time-travel for the purpose of maintaining the contiguity between past and present was an interesting one. The only drawback I thought it had was the loneliness the game forced you into. Harped at by computerised voices that you, Agent 5 are late; being confronted by dickhead robots...

I also love the novel idea of leaving a disk with the entirety of earth's history buried into the side of a random mountain in 400,000 BC. How they exactly managed to store or even accurately record such a large amount of information is another story though...

ChupathingyX

Jun 8, 2010
Ratchet and Clank: A Crack in Time, although thats like the only time-travelling game I've actually played. But it did have some nice time travelling and going back to the past to fix the present, and time bombs were useful.

SL33TBL1ND

Nov 9, 2008
Kollega said:
Lvl 64 Klutz said:
Wait, you really want to play a game that makes your brain bleed? Well all right then.

Oh and, go Chris.

Luke Cartner

May 6, 2010
My favorite timetraveling machanic has to be in the hitchhikers guide the the galaxy text based adventure game.
At the very begining of the game you run into a dog, which if you do nothing snaps at a fly because its hungery.
Towards the very end of the game you get transported into an alien space craft traveling to destroy earth. However due to a misunderstanding around size and scale the ship itself is only the size of a fly, which gets eaten by the dog at the begrining of the game. At which point you have to start the game again so you can feed the dog a sandwich to stop him killing you at the end of the game.

Annoying, sure; but in its own way very cool...

the1ultimate

Apr 7, 2009
... Harsh.

No need to put everyone who likes Majora's Mask in the same boat as Chris E.

I would bring up the fact that Majora's Mask would perfectly fill a hole in your time-travel games list, but the list is hardly comprehensive, and you probably didn't want to risk the ire of too many more Nintendo fans.

TraderJimmy

Apr 17, 2010
Mass Debater is not funny, Yahtzee.

You need to know that.

On-topic (or the topic he gave us, anyway):
Timesplitters? Um, like, best shooter evar?

Series kicked ass! :D

I did like Legend of Zelda: Oracle of Seasons + Oracle of Time (Titles may not be right) for Gameboy Color. I've never played Majora's Mask.

But yeah, Legend of Zelda games always let me down by having one mini-game that is (a) essential to complete if you want to progress and (b) nearly impossible for me to complete.

In these games, I remember there being a 'Simon Says' rhythm game that pissed me off no end.

Xander_VJ

Nov 8, 2007
Why some people mention "Zelda: Oracle of Seasons"?

Changing seasons is not time travel. That is weather manipulation. Don't get me wrong, that's still a cool gameplay mechanic and it was pulled off really nicely (as the Zelda series always does), but it's not the same.

The Zelda games that involve time travel (each one differently and in different extents, though) are "Ocarina of Time", "Majora's Mask" and "Oracle of Ages".

brunothepig

May 18, 2009
Half Life 2! You travel forward in time at the speed of regular time... What?
Ok, fine. Does Assassins Creed 2 count? I suppose that isn't really time travel, certainly no in game mechanics.
Well, I'll just say Prince Of Persia then. All of them. And I did enjoy Timeshift's gameplay. The time manipulation was fun. But the story bored me.

ActionDan

Jun 29, 2009
It's pretty much easier and more annoying to trolls like Chris.E to realise he's been completely ignored. All they want is attention from the person they're seeking to annoy.

Yahtzee Croshaw

Aug 8, 2007
Im going to go out on a limb and say that Majoras Mask is my favorite Zelda game of all time, mainly for it's surreal feel. The time-travel adds a lot to this and whist many found it infuriating i just thought it added something new and original to the series. Also that moon is just fucking terrifying, i still see it in my dreams.

Zelgon

Jul 28, 2010
I think one of the best games that used time travel was Braid. It really infused the aspect of going back and forward in time in order to complete each level. That and it was fucking hard as a Rhinos balls.

hardwiredd

Jul 28, 2010
I will always remember the Journeyman Project. the VERY first computer game I ever played on my first computer.

Ken Sapp

Cat Herder
Apr 1, 2010
Ken Sapp said:

I think that was in FFVI, actually. The boxes in the starting area had better stuff if you waited until the second part of the game to open them.
I don't recall much about FFVI, but I do know that what I described was in Chrono Trigger. They were scattered all around the world and the best way to loot them was to work your way back from the future through the time periods looting them.

CopperBoom

Nov 11, 2009
Flishiz said:
It's quite clear that the best time-travel game ever created and will stand tall and proud over any other pretender that dares glance at its throne is Mario's Time Machine. What other game has been so able to take a series known for excellence and provides government-sanctioned printers of all international currencies and rightly beat it to a bloody pulp with a game where you blithely wander random time periods looking for unimportant shit like Mario had an unusually detailed shopping list?

I hereby rest my case.
I remember renting that game as a youth and only having a Saturday to finish and I got really close, but because I did something out of order I had to redo EVERYTHING.

...I never ending up finishing it, it burns me to this day.

Cid Silverwing

Paladin of The Light
Jul 27, 2008
Ratchet & Clank Future - A Crack In Time featured some time travelling, time-slowing grenades and even time-stopping at many points. How about you give that game a shot?

Snowden's Secret

Apr 4, 2010
Mass-debater...Oh, I get it! And Majora's Mask wasn't that bad. Except for that really shitty tower dungeon. That was evil before one had figured it out.
I believe it's been said already countless times, but my favourite game involving time travel would be Timespliters 2 & 3, hands down.

Vault Citizen

May 8, 2008
I'm confused, is Yahtzee gay or does he like women? Which is it? It can't be both, well I suppose, not unless he likes to fuck grandmothers as a result of self hatred ingrained in his mind by years of repression

or Chris E could just be talking crap, I'm sure its one of those.

Tyrant T100

Aug 19, 2009
EightGaugeHippo said:
Sorry if someone already responded, but in the Breaking and Entering level of Future perfect you get the time manipulation grenades, that make everything move in slow motion in the explosions radius. So you can shoot ultra fast and watch the enemies die very slowly.

Rythe

Mar 28, 2009
Yeah, Chrono Trigger. If you don't think it used Time Travel as a game mechanic, then your thinking is stuck inside the middle of the box. Changing items by leaving them in the past and picking them up in the future? Picking up items in the future, and then going back in time to pick them up again? Changing how characters act by altering their pasts? Changing history completely depending on what point in the plot you defeat the final boss? It's not insta-gratification bullet time, but it's still a mechanic. That game was such a joy for it's light-hearted tone and overall excellent quality.

Also, I hear Timesplitters is crazy, wacky fun. And Day of the Tentacle looks amusing as heck.

ninjakittyofdoom

Mar 19, 2009
speaking of Time travel has anyone noticed a tardis is now popping up randomly in his reviews. For a Time travel game he should try the new Doctor Who adventures.

Yahtzee Croshaw

Aug 8, 2007
Premonition said:
you think that the story line made no sense already? read this. its a plot analysis that is so confusing that makes the games story look simple... but it actually was a fun enough game and the graphics were nice so it was still fun...

anyway, chris e., if you happen to be reading this, i want to congratulate you for being such an amazing critic/debater. your silky words are like chocolate to my ears.

Kurokami

Feb 23, 2009
Premonition said:

Why was it stupid?

I think Yahtzee should have included a bit more of a build up for Chris, but other than that excellent. I personally think the game that nailed it best, from recollection, would have to be PoP: Warrior Within.

Holy crap. Time Cop. I remember playing it when I was really damn young, didn't even speak english so the majority of it went over my head I'm sure, but I remember I was so happy when I was trying to kill some Egyptians because it was one of the first times I didn't need to use a rock to kill something.

Tenkage

May 28, 2010
ok seriously Chris is most certainly a Troll...once I think about it I got another message like that about my Fanfiction....and there is a reviewer on Youtube who trolls Scatman videos...you don't think....

lukey94

Sep 2, 2008
I liked the time travel in Full Auto, although that was really just a 3 second reverse move .. it was fun to use in a game with guns and cars like that, another game with cool time travel was Timesplitters, I loved that on the old Xbox!

Pelemus-McSoy

Aug 6, 2009
There's another Zelda game that actually uses Time Travel as a game mechanic: Oracle of Ages. There are some puzzles, events, and even temples that can only be accessed if you manipulate the past. Hell, you can even move a seedling around certain parts of the map to grow a tree in different places.

LockeDown

Sep 27, 2009
Technically, all games feature time travel, since the story of all games takes place over a period of time, through which you travel. Granted, it's very slow, and only in one direction, but time travel is time travel, no?

=P

Unchained_M

Jul 7, 2010
Oooo. I can think of another game where you were given a magic machine to go between points in time in order to unravel the deeper mysteries of some kind of conspiracy that you can only undo after the strange logic of adventure games being applied with a magic gun in hand at the end. It was called the Journeyman Project. You're a time travel agent and you go through history but not the history of our time but of a possible future where their past is also our future BUT also prehistory and some other locations. It lacked an inventory I believe as well.

I like the pretty pictures the most and the music, but as for it being a great game that uses Time Travel well? Probably not. It is a core component of the game I suppose.

Chrono Trigger? For a JRPG it was good but you could have easily have gone through Star Ocean or some other RPG that allows you to travel between worlds/areas. Time travel isn't really a core part of the game.

gamegod25

Jul 10, 2008
Loonerinoes said:
In the name all that is holy, DON"T PLAY TIMESHIFT!

Seriously I am doing you any anyone else who might want to try it a favor. Singularity is a FAR better game in every way. It was one of those rare games that make me so pissed off that just typing it's name makes me want to puke.

I'm probably just making it worse and making people want to play it even more to see how bad it is. But I'm being serious, do not play Timeshift. If you do then don't say I didn't warn you.

ShoopDaToaster

Jun 15, 2010
Someone should spam Chris E with emails reading 'Umad?' and some kind of gore.
But undoubtedly he's some troll sent from 4chan/other internet place, the 5 year old child with ADD couldn't spell that good,never the less have correct capitolization(or whatever) and use 'Teh' instead of 'The',thats an internet thing. I doubt his mommy would let him on.
Yeah.
He's a troll.

OrpheumZero

Feb 25, 2010
Shadow of Destiny (or Shadow of Memories for those of you in the UK) was a pretty neat underrated gem. Sure, the plot was fairly hit or miss, but it did offer a neat time traveling gameplay, even if it wasn't very deep (namely there should have been multiple ways to solve a problem, not just one). I myself actually like the story, and found it quite clever that each 'ending' was plausible in that they were all from alternate timelines where my choices diverted from one another and thus things happened directly rather than "I saved this person in one play through, and told them to fuck off in another". While there is debate over if everything is connected, namely a startling little secret concerning the main character's identity and how it relates to another's fate, it's probably one of the more thought provoking time travel pieces as opposed to most games where it's "Ooh look, I can freeze time and unload 50 bullets into this guy's nads!"

Yahtzee Croshaw

Aug 8, 2007
2 things....Who's Chris E? and my favorite time controlling game not being allowed to choose PoP i would have to Say its time shift. I lived the ability to control time. Even though Story sucked and i'm sure i had problem with some mechanics and gameplay elements i had fun freezing time and Using a shotgun to put 6 in the chest of an enemy and see him rag doll backwards.

SandroTheMaster

Apr 2, 2009
Now I remembered a few more examples:

Time Commando: Alright, its a cop-out, but it dealt with simulations of different periods and the relevance of that was that the period you were in would be significant to the weapons you'd have access to (although some are historically unorthodox, like the "Asian period" where you get access to a hadouken scroll).

Final Fantasy 1 (in which it was used horridly and stupidly) and Final Fantasy 8 (in which it was even horridlier and stupidier, enough to force me to create words... ugh... compress all time so that Ultimecia caWHO-GIVES-A-FUCK)

And now that I think about it, the PC RPG trinity; Might and Magic, Ultima and Wizardry; all dabbled in time travel.

In Ultima it was confusing and mostly pointless.

In Wizardry it was weird.

In Might and Magic it was an underused feature.

One of the Season 2 episodes of Sam & Max also featured Time Travel pretty cleverly.

Endocrom

Apr 6, 2009
I really don't have to mention Timesplitters, but Sister Jo-Beth demands it.

Second Sight, pretty linear but very fun.

Futurama: The Game kind of had a time travel device in the Zoidberg level, so start digging in those bargan bins!

the events of the entire game are a paradox

feycreature

May 6, 2009
OK, Chrono trigger used changes in time periods to good effect in the plot, but I noticed it much less as a gameplay mechanic. There were a few moments, like putting that ladder up in the mountains, but for the most part it was just for major plot developments.

In -gameplay-, definitely a nod to the Oracle of Ages and Seasons. Ages used it better, but that's not really a surprise since time was the significant force there. If they had more engaging writing (like Chrono Trigger, for instance...) it would have probably had a greater emotional effect to see the bridge you helped to get built standing hundreds of years later, Rafton's grave, the peaceful village atop the volcano. It doesn't quite work since Link is kind of a faceless lump in the Oracle games, but oh well.

Day of the Tentacle was partly fun because figuring out how to get things from one time period to the other was really neat if sometimes infuriating as hell. Even when the answer was something absurd I had to love it because it was brilliant at the same time. Sort of like Dr. Who now that I think of it.

I know the time mechanic in Majora's Mask isn't gameplay, but I liked what it did to the atmosphere, putting you in a sort of twilight zone. Every three days you go back to the beginning and no one remembers you, you walk through places you've been, speak to people you know, whose heartbreaks and triumphs you've seen and participated in. But they don't know you. Like everyone else in the world just has this blip in their memory and you're either the only one left sane or the only one who's gone mad.

The time control in Braid LOOKS hypnotic, but I'm pretty sure I could make it through maybe...four or five pathetic attempts at the first level before I gave up. It's a really neat concept, but it looks way harder than I would have the patience for.

Damagu

Jul 29, 2010
First thing I thought of was Day of the Tentacle. Time to pull out Scummvm and do some retro gaming. Thanks for the reminder.

Yahtzee Croshaw

Aug 8, 2007
Chrono Trigger definitely had one of the best storylines incorporating time travel. The fact that you could visit multiple periods and have the consequences of your actions echo throughout the ages really intrigued me.

Also, regarding Majora's Mask, the time travel aspect takes more of a backseat to time manipulation, don't you think? (speeding up and slowing down time plays a greater role in making it through the three days before you have to reset).

Zyphonee

Mar 20, 2010
Chris E. is a mind full of beauty. His letter was not only eloquent, but I even sensed a subtle tone of mockery, which only continued to prove his argument. This is why here I decided to show everyone who might read this, a draft for an open letter to Mr. Barrack Obama:

" Dear Barrack Obama,
It is with most humbleness that I, just a member of the usual feist, decided I should state that your a fag who likes to kiss other men because their black like you and you can't take charge of the country for shit your wife is ugly she's like a thiner version of Opra and your gay.

Awaiting your reply,
An anonymous."

Stilt-Man

Dec 31, 2009
Space Quest IV: Roger Wilco and the Time Rippers, in my opinion, had the best time-traveling. Roger "time traveled" into future Space Quest games, and traveled back to the original Space Quest (in all it's AGI glory).

Granted, it was more a narrative device than a game play mechanic.

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
"Games with Time Travel"

Me: "Day of the Tentacle"!

Yahtzee: "Day of the Tentacle"

Me: "YAAAAAAAY!"

Funkiest Monkey

Jul 10, 2010
Well, Yahtzee already mentioned Day Of The Tentacle. And Majora's Mask to an extent. Everyone's ranting on about Chrono Trigger, Timesplitters, Ratchet & Clank and Sonic CD...

Bloody hell! I've been ninja'd in every possible way!

(If only I could time travel to beginning of this thread...)

maboblivion

Jul 30, 2010
It doesn't involve time travel per se, but time mechanics... Max payne was most likely the first to involve "bullet time" , which slowed up time :p and has been copied
in alot of modern fps.

teebeeohh

Jun 17, 2009
i think time travel as a plot element is lame, it always results compressing the history of a planet/racce/universe/whatever to the actions of one person/group who did everything. Thats just lazy storytelling and after having played chrono trigger you can see the twist coming from a mile away. As a gameplay element time travel can make for fun ideas, unless it's just another excuse to ship out bullet time(conzentration like an athlete my ass)

Aitruis

Mar 4, 2009
I hated Majora's Mask. After about the fifth freaking go I felt like Bill Murray, and was flailing helplessly at the game ready to either stick my junk in a toaster, or tell those stupid farmers with their freaking aliens to sod off.

I hated that game.

Da Ork

Nov 19, 2008
I have to say I actually liked timeshift when played on a difficulty level where the sucky combat didn't get in the way of the fun time powers. And multiplayer was a bit different to your standard shooter cuase of the time bubbles.

kingmob

Jan 20, 2010
I loved "Future Wars" as a kid, now no one will play it :(
I found the hole straight away, since I am awesome like that and went on to finish the game. Which was very imaginative as far as I remember. but after this I don't dare and try it again ;)

Another cool one in that era was Chrono-Quest, a text adventure with pictures, where you find a time machine in the victorian age. The game crashed for me halfway however, so I was never able to finish it.

Then again, DOTT gets the praise it deserves here, so I am cool...

Tallim

Mar 16, 2010
There are a lot of comments and might of missed it but....

Ecco the Dolphin - A game you certainly were not expecting time travel in, or aliens for that matter.

Then they got to Defender Of The Future which I just loved for some reason.

friija

Jul 16, 2010
Shadow of Memories (Shadow of Destiny to those in the U.S.A.) was definately the greatest time travel game of all time, and one of the greatest games of all time period, and I want you all to play it, please?

ctrl

Apr 19, 2010
very elegant chris e loads of time well spent on constructing a balanced well argued case. in future i recommend that he stops gaming and throws his computer out of his window, before it spouts any more shit.

Manji187

Jan 29, 2009
"What a debater. He should take it up full time. That way we could legitimately describe him as a mass-debater."

Mass-debater (phonetics)....whahaha now that's a quality pun. Yeah...a wanker Chris E is.

Danpascooch

Zombie Specialist
Apr 16, 2009
I love seeing hate mail like that, it's so funny because they are calling you deranged while talking about old grandma fetishes and bestial sodomy.

The irony is palpable.

Onyx Oblivion

Borderlands Addict. Again.
Sep 9, 2008
Best time travel?

Chrono Trigger.

I like Chrono Cross more, but that's DIMENSIONAL travel, really.

But really, Chrono Trigger.

2fish

Sep 10, 2008
So that's what I have to type to get a response from the great YZ huh? No wonder my one question vanished into the mists of the internet, my email had a complete thought and had but one insult.

Maybe we should take some of the creativity out of these old games and pump it into the brains of the current game makers. Either their heads would explode or we would get sweet games.

Anchupom

In it for the Pub Club cookies
Apr 15, 2009
Hey! I wrote that wikipedia list next week!

That's all I have to add to this discussion.

Alarid

Jan 15, 2009
Has Chris E been on this to bolster his already strong and well thought out argument? He has shown (conclusively) that it doesn't take much to topple Yatzee's arguments. He says "Mario has lost his creativity", you say "you cock-juggling thunder-****". Chris E just makes it look so easy!

Mr.Mudkip

Nov 16, 2009
I have to agree with NekoShell up there, Legacy of Kain has to be my favorite....besides Chrono Trigger. Fucking Lavos.....