On Time Travel

Premonition

Jan 25, 2010
Oh, well, Chrissy is my personal hero at this point. Such style and grace. I have not seen such great debating since, well, ever.
My personal favorite game involving time traveling has to be the very splendid TimeSplitter franchise. Most notably: TimeSplitters 3. There's time traveling in it so it's allowed xD

Edit: Also, Final Fantasy 8 deserves a mention for being so bat-shit insanely stupid.

hawk533

Dec 17, 2009
Why wouldn't you have pulled Chrono Trigger from that list? That is definitely my favorite game involving time travel.

Cherry Cola

Your daddy, your Rock'n'Rolla
Jun 26, 2009
We need to send fan-mail to this Chris E!

Quickly, someone start a fanclub!

tomtom94

aka "Who?"
May 11, 2009
Premonition said:
Oh, well, Chrissy is my personal hero at this point. Such style and grace. I have not seen such great debating since, well, ever.
My personal favorite game involving time traveling has to be the very splendid TimeSplitter franchise. Most notably: TimeSplitters 3. There's time traveling in it so it's allowed xD
Yahtzee! How could you forget Timesplitters? Excellent series.

I don't know how time travel would work as an in-game gameplay mechanic...someone should try and find out.

Megacherv

Kinect Development Sucks...
Sep 24, 2008
Ratchet & Clank: A Crack in Time had some good puzzles with Clank (which is hear are similar to Timesplitters: Future Perfect)

Lvl 64 Klutz

Crowsplosion!
Apr 8, 2008
I want to know whatever happened to that RTS that was supposed to use time travel as a gameplay element?

PS2MAN

May 17, 2009
Lack of Chrono Trigger is fail. Also props to Chris E for making the rest of humanity appear smarter in comparison to his constructive argument.

Tharticus

Dec 10, 2008
Massive props to Chris E for making that argument.

Chrono Trigger should be on that list.

Kollega

Jun 5, 2009
Lvl 64 Klutz said:
I want to know whatever happened to that RTS that was supposed to use time travel as a gameplay element?
Achron? They're still doing it. It's currently in alpha, and i may consider buying it.

Flishiz

Feb 11, 2009
It's quite clear that the best time-travel game ever created and will stand tall and proud over any other pretender that dares glance at its throne is Mario's Time Machine. What other game has been so able to take a series known for excellence and provides government-sanctioned printers of all international currencies and rightly beat it to a bloody pulp with a game where you blithely wander random time periods looking for unimportant shit like Mario had an unusually detailed shopping list?

I hereby rest my case.

Jack and Calumon

Digimon are cool.
Dec 29, 2008
Chris E. is truly a great man. He sure put you in your place Yahtzee! Ha Ha Ha.... Bored now.

Calumon: Half Life 2 had a way of travelling forward in time.

Jack: You've never played it! How the bloody hell do you know?

Calumon: I'm made of data and copy your memories while you sleep.

Lost In The Void

When in doubt, curl up and cry
Aug 27, 2008
I'm going to join the horde of people that already said this, but Chrono Trigger, best time travel game hands down

On a side note that e-mail made my day at work so far. Good to see the future is bright for coherent debate

yourbeliefs

Bored at Work
Jan 30, 2009
Last game I had fun with that had time travel was Sonic CD, but that's not exactly a great example. It was more to just get the good ending. I don't remember breaking the bad machines in the past having a tangible impact that affected gameplay other than a nicer looking boss level with more upbeat music.

Paztug

Jun 7, 2010
Premonition said:
I'm with you on that, Future Perfect is one of my favorite game, it makes a great use (and fun) of time-travelling. The multiplayer and the game overall were a lot of fun. Haven't played the others games though.

As for the article, it's interesting, especially the part when Chris E. gets to expose his amazing debate skills, the rest of it is slightly less instructive. The only game in the list I played is Timeshift, wich was meh.

itf cho

Custom title? Bah! oh wait...
Jul 8, 2010
Oh wow... Chris E is awesome. Beyond the great rant, he used the "internet-alternative" spelling of "teh" instead of the normal "the". Now, if only he could have worked a "kitteh" and a "1337" in there somewhere, he could have truly reached the sublime apogee of wonderfulness.

t3hmyth

Mar 24, 2010
While it's possibly too-informed from Sands of Time, I found Braid to be a fun, unpretentious time-travel-mechanic game. Quite possibly the best (though, certainly not the most informed or most perceptive) review of the game is by Soulja Boy:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xSXofLK5hFQ

and I know what you're thinking: no, that wasn't a reference to Nietzsche, OR Montaigne. But his response and childlike fascination with the sheer simplicity of the conceit is something that, I think, speaks to all of us: the basic desire to control the effects of time. Indeed, it's that which is its strongest quality: the game as a whole is as simple as its device. Sands of Time, while probably the better game, requires more finesse, more effort (though, to paraphrase Dr. Johnson, that which is played without effort is also played without pleasure). To me, Braid is the so-called casual game that I might give to Roger Ebert or someone newly interested in the medium; it's not narrative, and it's not structured (and in light of those, it's more avant-garde than it is anything else), but I think it's pretty cool.