On Time Travel

WolfLordAndy

Sep 19, 2008
Time travel as a plot is all well and good but I like time travel as a mechanic much more.

I always remember the joy of two GBC Zelda games: Oracle of Ages and Oracle of Seasons. These let you jump forward/back in time, or switch between the 4 seasons. As you improved things in the past, it made the present and future better.

It would be nice to see more time travel games like that to be honest, where you actually control when and if you go back/forward in time rather the just having it as bullet time.

Oh, and I notice City of Heroes was on that list... not really proper time travel, just a mission plot device where you go in an instance and fight slighty different bad guys then usual cause they're from the past/altered time and change the future/etc.!

Truly-A-Lie

Nov 14, 2009
I've sat and thought about it. I just can't see the connection between sex with animals, homosexuality and Mario Galaxy 2. Unless the reward for getting all the stars is different this time around.

The only time travel game that comes to mind is Age of Zombies, which just uses different time periods for levels. Great game though.

mjc0961

YOU'RE a pie chart.
Nov 30, 2009
Oh man, somehow I thought he was serious at the start, and then I read "Dear Yahtzee, You are a ******." and bust out laughing.

Anyway if we're going to discuss time travel in Zelda, forget Majora's Mask. Oracle of Ages made time travel much more interesting. Rather than just forcing you to start everything back at the start if you ran out of time, you had an entire overworld for the past and then another one for the present, and later on you'd have to constantly navigate between the two to solve puzzles and just get around. They even had a dungeon where you had to play it in both the past and the present to get to the end.

EightGaugeHippo

Apr 6, 2010
Timesplitters has time trvvel in it, but does it count since there is no game mechanics revolving around time manipulation?

Jaebird

Aug 19, 2008
Yahtzee Croshaw said:
Time Travel Analogy: Like pumping helium at Abraham Lincoln during the Gettsyburg Address, basically just for a laugh.

Thank you for this very hilarious food for thought. It's right up there with a Miyamoto Riddler getting angry every time a fan figures out the puzzle that is Zelda's timeline.

Enigma6667

Apr 3, 2010
In response to Chris E.:

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH
AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
HA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

That is all.

Good analysis on time travel games, Yahtzee. I, as of now, can't think of any games aside from the ones you just mentioned other than Braid. Braid's time travel was used so sophisticatedly and devilishly well and the puzzles that required it were incredibly clever.

Wolfram23

Mar 23, 2004
Eternal Darkness was a pretty good game with a sort of time travel.

Also, Day of the Tentacle had to have been the best point-and-click adventure game I ever played.

LesIsMore

Jul 22, 2008
Surprised he didn't mention "Darkest of Days" after his praise for the premise in an earlier ZP - but the premise really has nothing to do with the gameplay mechanics, so I suppose I'm not too surprised.

"Braid" is definitely my favorite example of time reversal as a gameplay mechanic - at first glance it looks like a basic Mario-style platformer, until you realize that you have to slow and speed the progress of the world to make any progress. It requires some genuine skill to master the right use of the powers, and once you get the combinations correct it trumps any standard platformer there is.

PhiMed

Nov 26, 2008
I know you already had a PC game from 1993, but no love for Myst? I thought you were a member of the PC master race, Yahtzee!

Manicotti

Apr 10, 2009
Hey, I liked Majora's Mask. :3

I'm not sure if this really qualifies, but I've always loved Mario RPG: Partners in Time.

Stabby Joe

Jul 30, 2008
I can now see Chris E becoming something of an in-joke at the Escapist.

The Ratchet & Clank Future trilogy had some interesting moment of time manipulation, a Crack in Time being the most stand out... but then again it's in the title.

The best game hands down about time travel is Timesplitters. Out of all the lot, Future Perfect had the most crazy story, especially with it's over lapping versions of the protagonist.

Pseudonym2

Mar 31, 2008
One thing that bothered me in all of these games is how the characters stay on the same planet. If the planet,sun, and galaxy are in orbit, wouldn't traveling through time involve getting stuck in space?

Loonerinoes

Apr 9, 2009
Feeling a bit fat and insecure, as you yourself put it, as of late and need your fanbase to mock random moronic fanboy #452955 for an ego boost Yahtzee? ;)

Either way...I am moreso than ever intrigued by the last game on the list now.

Stabby Joe

Jul 30, 2008
Loonerinoes said:
Feeling a bit fat and insecure, as you yourself put it, as of late and need your fanbase to mock random moronic fanboy #452955 for an ego boost Yahtzee? ;)
That's what the internet does afterall.

RJ Dalton

Aug 13, 2009
You seem to not have anything to do this week, because this article doesn't really have anything interesting to say. Singularity really didn't give you anything to talk about other than a non-comprehensive list of time travel games that don't provide anything interesting about time travel to talk about (aside from Day of the Tentacle, but even then, you didn't appear to be really making a point)?

Booze Zombie

Dec 8, 2007
Was that real? The message from Chris E, I mean.
It's just... it seems a bit too well punctuated to have actually been typed by someone with an I.Q below 70, but then the content of the message completely contradicts that.
Oh well.

I think Time Splitters did quite well overall with the time travel element, though, I don't really think the player ever had any control over said element.
It was quite amusing, well-placed, the gameplay was enjoyable and the settings were interesting... not to mention the humour.

"Banana. Don't ask."

TheGreenManalishi

May 22, 2008
I'd argue that Majora's Mask is time travel done perfectly, in that it isn't a gameplay mechanic so much as part of the environment that can be controlled on a game-wide scale.