Once you see it you won't unsee it: The blue/orange poster saga

Dragonearl

Mar 14, 2009
Rex Dark said:
Never noticed that before.
*Looks at Star Wars: Episode III Poster*
*Notices blue lightsabers and orange lava*

Well, it's something different than the old Red+Black+White color scheme.
Also this one:

Also it's in my food:

My world as I know it is gone.

MintyNinja

Sep 17, 2009
I took a glance at your link, and from what I could tell, many of the orange sections had something to do with Fire or Explosions. Maybe it's just the human desire to see excitement and action that Hollywood got used to using Orange/Blue. As well, when you think about it, Red/Green feels more like Christmas, and Orange/Blue like summer. Maybe I'm just speculating, maybe I'm just awake at 5 in the morning for some reason, haha.

Starke

Mar 6, 2008
Macksheath said:
Well the sky is blue and fire is orange.

For Transformers the latter is something Michael Bay throws around like a bag of food at a homeless shelter.
I get what you're trying to say, but... he grabs it and keeps it all for himself while beating all commers wtih a baseball bat? :p

Anyway, it's straight up graphic design. Blue/Orange, Purple/Yellow, Red/Green (though red/yellow or green/yellow is more popular these days). They're called complimentary colors, IIRC. Otherwise, there's another term for three complementary colors, the primaries, and the secondaries.

Ren3004

In an unsuspicious cabin
Jul 22, 2009
It just looks nice. It's not like seeing blue and orange together will brainwash you.

You know... I have this sudden urge to go watch Transformers...

Susurrus

Nov 7, 2008
I'd like to argue with your point:

In making it, you've expanded the definition of orange to cover a colour that ranges from something quite heavily within yellow, to something that is quite clearly red.

Now, the three primary colours are: blue, red and yellow.

So what you're basically saying is: advertising uses primary colours! Oh noes! How unforseen!

That those colours that most starkly contrast with each other are being used for advertising should hardly be surprising.

Timtimfed

Oct 2, 2008
I was doing some research into film colour correction a while ago and this exact colour palette was explored in things i was reading. The main point seems to be that this is always used because the orange comes from the flesh tone of actors(particularly on tanned flesh). In films, sets and actors are often dressed in blue/aqua tones to contrast/complement flesh tone which is opposite aqua on the colour wheel.

Here's a cool tutorial where they talk about the colours and why they're always used together:

http://library.creativecow.net/articles/maschwitz_stu/red-giant-blockbuster-film-look/video-tutorial.php

FROGGEman2

Queen of France
Mar 14, 2009
AW FUCK IT MAN, I HATE YOU NOW.

/grumpy

Anyway, I need to ask a professional psychologist about this.

Starke said:
Dragonearl said:

My world as I know it is gone.
The Doritos left no survivors. :p

EDIT: when did they start doing multiflavor bags? Neat.
I would hate them for being commercial arseholes, but they made Hotel 626, and are completely forgiven.

Kaboose the Moose

Feb 15, 2009
Susurrus said:
I'd like to argue with your point:

In making it, you've expanded the definition of orange to cover a colour that ranges from something quite heavily within yellow, to something that is quite clearly red.

Now, the three primary colours are: blue, red and yellow.

So what you're basically saying is: advertising uses primary colours! Oh noes! How unforseen!

That those colours that most starkly contrast with each other are being used for advertising should hardly be surprising.
Oh noes indeed!. I don't know if you're referring to me but in any event my argument is, when we have a visible spectrum that is so diverse, why depends on only two or just the primary colours?.

ScientificDJ

Aug 17, 2009
i find the two a pretty striking combination, maybe that's why they are used so often...

Sad Robot said:
Using two colours to compliment each other like you said isn't something new or rare. People do it all the time everywhere. I'm sure you could pick another set of two colours and come up with dozens of movie posters or what ever based on them.
i think there might be some truth in this

Unknower

Jun 4, 2008
Wasder said:
Oh well, I like blue and orange.

*Looks at his signatures on other forums* Oh dear... I do it too!
You also have an orange Excellent Topic -badge next to a blue Webby Badge.

Daedalus1942

Jun 26, 2009
Ren3004 said:
It just looks nice. It's not like seeing blue and orange together will brainwash you.

You know... I have this sudden urge to go watch Transformers...
Must download Firefox.... Oh wait...

Iron Mal

Jun 4, 2008
Blue and orange are contrasting colours that are bright and stand out (in theory) and provide the oppertunities for both shading and highlights (since both colours look interesting regardless of how bright or dark they are).

Hell..even Team Fortress has blue and red (which looks more like orange in some cases) to provide a lively and distinct look between the two teams.

UMID

Mar 5, 2008
Well, the blue/orange combination has the advantage of being (near-?)opposite colors, giving eye-catching contrast to the image, while also being more comfortable to look at than, for example, red/green. (Enemies of garish Christmas decorations unite!)

I still think the original poster may be right about the overuse of blue/orange though; it would be interesting to see some concrete statistics on how often that combo is used compared to others.

So ... anybody feel like sifting through the entire poster database at IMBD? =J

EDIT: Hah, even my own avatar is blorange! FFFFFFFFUUUUUU-