One-Fifth of PS3 Owners Are Eyeing the Exit

Sniper Team 4

Apr 28, 2010
Anyone who is giving up their PS3, please give it to me as mine broke two days after this started. I don't want a 360 because I already own one of them. Been playing Alan Wake while I try to track down a new PS3. I'm not giving it up. Too many trophies and hard work have gone into my PS3.

Jazoni89

Dec 24, 2008
ZeroMachine said:
So, correct me if I'm wrong, but is this the biggest video-game related fuck-up catastrophe ever?

I kind of pity Sony. I feel like this might severely damages their chances at doing any good in future console races.
Nope

Remember the gaming crash of eighty three, the one that nearly screwed the whole games industry forever.

Yeah, that one.

Snotnarok

Nov 17, 2008
Veloxe said:
I wonder what fraction of that 1/5th is actually seriously going to stop using PSN entirely and go over to 360 and how many are just stomping their feet until the PSN comes back up and they go back to it like nothing ever happened.
I think it's less about it being down and more about Sony losing info to hackers and then not making a real effort to tell it's users. They posted on their blog instead of their newsletter which probably has 20x the subscribers. I didn't even know they had a blog.

Mackinator

Apr 21, 2009
Victor Burgos said:
As bummed out as I am by the breach, I am not worried. I don't have any relevant information other than an old email on my PSN account. People who have at least some sense know that they should not leave info like credit card numbers on any computer device. Maybe now they won't leave that sort of information anywhere.
Its not that black and white unfortunately. Imagine a parent who has been pestered to the hills to allow a child to put details on an account and may be unaware of the current problem... it could be a disaster!

I doubt 1/5 of these people will actually end up buying 360's though, but still, Sony is not looking too good after this!

Veloxe

Oct 5, 2010
Snotnarok said:
Veloxe said:
I wonder what fraction of that 1/5th is actually seriously going to stop using PSN entirely and go over to 360 and how many are just stomping their feet until the PSN comes back up and they go back to it like nothing ever happened.
I think it's less about it being down and more about Sony losing info to hackers and then not making a real effort to tell it's users. They posted on their blog instead of their newsletter which probably has 20x the subscribers. I didn't even know they had a blog.
Neither did I actually, although I did get the email about the situation like an hour after I read about the blog. But I was more thinking about how people tend to act in these situations. Yelling to the heavens that this injustice will never be forgiven and running around making petitions to have things changed to their way or they will stop using a system. Yes, this is different then like, an update that someone might not like the changes to but unless people get hit by real world ramifications (identity theft, fraudulent credit card usage, so on) most of them are just going to be blowing hot air while the event is still fresh in all our minds.

I'm sure there is a percentage of people who will not go back to the PSN because of the lost information but I highly doubt it's as high as 1/5th of the user base.

Fearzone

Boyz! Boyz! Boyz!
Dec 3, 2008
No.

For this data to mean anything we would have to know the percentage of PS3 owners contemplating a switch to the XBox360 before the security breach.

Please, Escapist. Better editorial standards.

Ainsley Bartlett

Apr 27, 2011
Mackinator said:
Victor Burgos said:
As bummed out as I am by the breach, I am not worried. I don't have any relevant information other than an old email on my PSN account. People who have at least some sense know that they should not leave info like credit card numbers on any computer device. Maybe now they won't leave that sort of information anywhere.
Its not that black and white unfortunately. Imagine a parent who has been pestered to the hills to allow a child to put details on an account and may be unaware of the current problem... it could be a disaster!

I doubt 1/5 of these people will actually end up buying 360's though, but still, Sony is not looking too good after this!
It could be a disaster, but a parent that lets their child put their credit card on a system that can allow them to buy anything at anytime is heading for disaster anyway...

Mr.Petey

Dec 23, 2009
DJJ66 said:
lol americans are silly.
Hyuk! Your post is sillier!

If people want to leave, then that's their own choice. Personally though it kinda reeks of more money that sense if they want to trade in all their games and fork out more cash for a new console. I'm happy with mine and I can't wait to get back onto the network

alrekr

Mar 11, 2010
ZeroMachine said:
ThatDaveDude1 said:
So, correct me if I'm wrong, but is this the biggest video-game related fuck-up catastrophe ever?
You're thinking of the 3DS.
So the 3DS has gotten thousands (millions?) of people's information stolen and has knocked people out of possibly multiple services that they may or may not have payed for? For over a week?

This is news to me.

Yeah, looking for a serious answer here, not a "I hate Nintendo lawls" answer. The 3DS is making them money. Your argument is invalid.[/]

PSN makes sony money... OH YOUR ARGUMENT IS INVALID.

See it works both ways ;)

PSN is free to use (not that many people use plus) and so whats a week out of our time. Its only been shut down for so long so that they can have redesign of their defence system. Heck its your own problem if you use the same password for everything.

*disclaimer* I am not a ps3 fanboy I prefer my pc but I do own a ps3 (can't be bothered to pay for live) and this is a opinnion!

Atheist.

Overmind
Sep 12, 2008
Eh, this isn't going to effect me much either way. Still going to be using my PC most of the time. Still going to have to dust off my PS3/360 every time I come back to them.

Killing_Time

Mar 7, 2009
I'll keep my PS3 for exclusives and Blu-Ray, but from now on I'll only buy multiplats for 360. Sony's lucky 2011 is a good year for Playstation exclusives...

True Nero

Dahaka Trainer
May 26, 2009
Tigurus said:
I will stay with the PS3
Mostly because I already spent enough money on it and the games for it are good enough for me
I don't like the Xbox360 (mostly because of paid internet & I don't really get wet by their exclusives)
Besides, our information is stolen, so it is too late anyhow. I doubt that this would never happen with Microsoft.

Still a pity and I can see why people would switch over other consoles or even play outside (<_<).
Luckely, I got my pc which pretty much has everything I need =D
you know, all of my friends who own a PS3 feel the same way. it's already happened so why not just stick through it. hell, if anything, i'm actually thinking of getting one. if people are gonna start selling them, the price should drop a little >.<

and i also agree with the Xbox comment there too. the paid internet is kind of annoying (not enough to stop though) and as far as Xbox exclusives go, they are kinda weak and WAY too few. Hell, that kinda goes for both the PS3 and 360. the exclusive titles that each system has are not too numerous and the only three good ones for PS3 (according to my friends) are God of War 3, MGS4, and Killzone 3. The Xbox doesn't do much better, aside from Gears of War and Halo: Reach, all the others are pretty non-existent now that mass effect because multi-platform.

but the thing is, i wish more people would be like Bioware. Mass Effect 2 was a fantastic game and only being on the 360 means a lot of sony fans missed out. being a system exclusive game is a huge risk because it pretty much halves your target audience.

maybe it's time we all just stop arguing about which system is better than the other. maybe it's time that sony fanboys and xbox fanboys should get along. maybe its time that we show both Sony and Microsoft that brand name isn't everything, it's the GAMES that make GAMEing what it is.

...and maybe a monkey will fly out of my butt holding a winning lottery ticket. but hey, a guy can hope. (more for the getting along, less for the monkey)

puffenstuff

Jan 31, 2008
mjc0961 said:
I'm not surprised either. I've already gotten a friend request or two from friends who formerly only had PS3s on Xbox Live over the past week. And I know I'm one of the people who falls under the "their trust in Sony and PSN had been 'greatly affected'" category. Although I still think that like any study, it's not worth much when you have somewhere around 40-50 million users (using console sales figures, not PSN accounts because you can have multiple accounts on one PS3; also taking into account some people buying multiple consoles) and you're only looking at around 2,000 people.
As long as those 2,000 people are a fairly random sample, the survey does predict the views of the larger population with a high degree of confidence. You only need to sample a few thousand people to gauge the views of the entire american population with a few percent margin of error at 95% confidence. Wiki link if you want the math and such [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Confidence_interval]

hermes

Mar 2, 2009
ZeroMachine said:
No. It certainly is one of the big ones, and likely one of the most "out-of-nowhere"; but I would consider the Virtua Boy, the downfall of Sega and the aftermatch of the E.T. videogame as worst catastrophes.

TheComfyChair

Sep 17, 2010
If anyone is jumping ship from the ps3 why would they buy an xbox? Just buy a PC and at least get a better experience as a result of the upgrade. This console generation is pretty much dead anyway.

Snotnarok

Nov 17, 2008
Veloxe said:
Snotnarok said:
Veloxe said:
Neither did I actually, although I did get the email about the situation like an hour after I read about the blog. But I was more thinking about how people tend to act in these situations. Yelling to the heavens that this injustice will never be forgiven and running around making petitions to have things changed to their way or they will stop using a system. Yes, this is different then like, an update that someone might not like the changes to but unless people get hit by real world ramifications (identity theft, fraudulent credit card usage, so on) most of them are just going to be blowing hot air while the event is still fresh in all our minds.

I'm sure there is a percentage of people who will not go back to the PSN because of the lost information but I highly doubt it's as high as 1/5th of the user base.
It's more like 1/5th the people they asked said they're considering leaving I'm sure. I'm pretty pissed but I'm not going to abandon the PS3. Unless they block the ability to play games because that has the potential for pirating games. Trolol. But seriously, I don't even play games via PSN I just get games from it...I was eying up a game or two. Sad times. ...Oh man if my 'wallet' is empty when their systems come back online I'm gonna be pissed.