One-Fifth of PS3 Owners Are Eyeing the Exit

Adam28

Feb 28, 2011
Xersues said:
This really has nothing to do with Playstation or Sony. This has to do with moron people that leave their credit card numbers lying around.

1. DON'T leave your credit card on Amazon, Steam, Sony, Xbox, Wii, or wherever. Make single purchases and REMOVE the card when done. YOUR DATA IS NEVER SAFE! NOWHERE! IF YOU JUST LEAVE YOUR CARD OUT THERE FOR SOME ONE TO TAKE.

2. Monitor your purchases

3. DON'T use security questions. At all. Ever. If you need to, then encrypt your answers some how. If the question asks you what your first animal was. People can find that out in Facebook or whatever nonsense easily. Then encrypt the answer by SHA or MD5 the answer. So if you first pet was a "goldfish" it ends up looking like "3efr5h123mfdasddfs231432dmfd234" when you type it in.

4. Use a set of passwords you can remember. If you can't remember passwords then don't use the internet for your daily usage. Use other means to purchase/bill pay/review your sensitive information

Seriously, ANYTHING can be hacked. Especially if its an internal party that helped compromise the safest 'hackproof' system ever.
Although you make good points, you can't seriously be blaming the users for this...

Ainsley Bartlett

Apr 27, 2011
TheComfyChair said:
If anyone is jumping ship from the ps3 why would they buy an xbox? Just buy a PC and at least get a better experience as a result of the upgrade. This console generation is pretty much dead anyway.
A kinect maybe, they do look good fun, if you have the money.

ZombieGenesis

Apr 15, 2009
I was eyeing the door ever since I started looking into PC games :)
Better online service than the 360, with the online cost of the Ps3. Zilch.

ThePurpleStuff

Apr 30, 2010
I'm kinda sad that I can't play some of my games since they require internet access (littlebigplanet for example) but all of this will not make me abandon sony and go to 360 permanently. I can wait for as long as it takes for psn to come back up as long as the mistakes can't be repeated. Making me pay for internet on a console is just stupid, I already got to pay cable bills I don't want another 60 bucks that could go to a game to just get crap service on an IMO inferior console to the ps3. Sony has given me the best service, followed by nintendo Wii, but mostly ps3 I have been the most satisfied with ever since I gave it a chance. I don't want sony to die out or else I'll give up gaming forever.

True Nero

Dahaka Trainer
May 26, 2009
alrekr said:
ZeroMachine said:
ThatDaveDude1 said:
So, correct me if I'm wrong, but is this the biggest video-game related fuck-up catastrophe ever?
You're thinking of the 3DS.
So the 3DS has gotten thousands (millions?) of people's information stolen and has knocked people out of possibly multiple services that they may or may not have payed for? For over a week?

This is news to me.

Yeah, looking for a serious answer here, not a "I hate Nintendo lawls" answer. The 3DS is making them money. Your argument is invalid.[/]

PSN makes sony money... OH YOUR ARGUMENT IS INVALID.

See it works both ways ;)

PSN is free to use (not that many people use plus) and so whats a week out of our time. Its only been shut down for so long so that they can have redesign of their defence system. Heck its your own problem if you use the same password for everything.

*disclaimer* I am not a ps3 fanboy I prefer my pc but I do own a ps3 (can't be bothered to pay for live) and this is a opinnion!
HA! i have to agree with that. the 3DS is making money (even after a pretty lackluster launch, none the less) and i don't think that nintendo has done anything that horrible. well, ASIDE from license Zelda and Mario games to the Phillips CD-i, but thats a whole other story in general.

but there will always be trolls, there will always be fan boys, there will always be war amongst the console gamers. hell, when you think about it, this has been going on ever since Nintendo and Sega. then Sega was replaced by Sony. then Xbox took Nintendo's place because Nintendo appealed to the casual crowd and made a BUTT-TON of cash. i honestly think the only reason that we are still arguing which system is better is because we've always been doing it. there really isn't much of a difference between the two systems. OK hardware is different but GAMING-wise it's pretty much the same, it just depends on what you want in a system

Shirokurou

Mar 8, 2010
Ah hell, I bought a PS3 back when I didn't even have online capabilities (such a hipster phrase)
So not switching...

babinro

Sep 24, 2010
I don't care about online...so this isn't an issue for me beyond the possible fear of fraud against my information.

It would very much surprise me if 1/5th of the console owners shelled out hundreds of dollars to go to xbox and buy the new games on there. This stat may be real in theory...but in reality it'll be different...I doubt 1/5th PS3 owners have the $300+ dollars lying around to buy an XBOX, extra controllers/accessories and games. Unless the statistic assumes new purchases of the system.

bombadilillo

Jan 25, 2011
TheComfyChair said:
If anyone is jumping ship from the ps3 why would they buy an xbox? Just buy a PC and at least get a better experience as a result of the upgrade. This console generation is pretty much dead anyway.
Because pcs are more expensive and dont plug in easily to TVs? Probably that.

Xaio30

Nov 24, 2010
The "master race" is always open for converters. :)
Believe it or not, but we can be humble when we need to.

bombadilillo

Jan 25, 2011
True Nero said:
alrekr said:
ZeroMachine said:
ThatDaveDude1 said:
So, correct me if I'm wrong, but is this the biggest video-game related fuck-up catastrophe ever?
You're thinking of the 3DS.
So the 3DS has gotten thousands (millions?) of people's information stolen and has knocked people out of possibly multiple services that they may or may not have payed for? For over a week?

This is news to me.

Yeah, looking for a serious answer here, not a "I hate Nintendo lawls" answer. The 3DS is making them money. Your argument is invalid.[/]

PSN makes sony money... OH YOUR ARGUMENT IS INVALID.

See it works both ways ;)

PSN is free to use (not that many people use plus) and so whats a week out of our time. Its only been shut down for so long so that they can have redesign of their defence system. Heck its your own problem if you use the same password for everything.

*disclaimer* I am not a ps3 fanboy I prefer my pc but I do own a ps3 (can't be bothered to pay for live) and this is a opinnion!
HA! i have to agree with that. the 3DS is making money (even after a pretty lackluster launch, none the less) and i don't think that nintendo has done anything that horrible. well, ASIDE from license Zelda and Mario games to the Phillips CD-i, but thats a whole other story in general.

but there will always be trolls, there will always be fan boys, there will always be war amongst the console gamers. hell, when you think about it, this has been going on ever since Nintendo and Sega. then Sega was replaced by Sony. then Xbox took Nintendo's place because Nintendo appealed to the casual crowd and made a BUTT-TON of cash. i honestly think the only reason that we are still arguing which system is better is because we've always been doing it. there really isn't much of a difference between the two systems. OK hardware is different but GAMING-wise it's pretty much the same, it just depends on what you want in a system
I wonder how many people like me have gotten wise to nintendo handhelds and will wait till V2? GBA sp, DS lite? definatly waiting for 3DS lite.

minimacker

Apr 20, 2010
GonzoGamer said:
I was eyeing the exit before this fiasco.
I loved the ps2, but the ps3 has just been going downhill for a while now.
I can see this being the last straw for a lot of people.

I doubt I'll get a 360 instead. I probably will be building a new pc pretty soon though.
Ah-yep. I liked the PS2, but Sony just didn't catch up to it's rivals in the online-community race.

bombadilillo

Jan 25, 2011
health-bar said:
" the survey encompassed 2132 people across the U.S.
so about 400 people said they want to switch to xbox.
that's not a groundbreaking figure right there.
Actually it is. You don't understand statistics and that IS a signigicant number. The real reason its no fuss is that people are "considering" switch, and people be lazy. Very few will actually switch. But the 1/5 stat is accurate.

tkioz

Fussy Fiddler
May 7, 2009
I'd recommend those that are thinking about switching DO NOT sell your PS3 yet unless it's the only way you'll get cash for the 360. Wait a few months and then sell, the market is currently flooded with second hand PS3s and you'll get bugger all for it, a two month wait and you'll recoup a lot more of your hard earned cash.