One gaming-related insult I cannot stand!

DiscoRhombus

Jan 6, 2014
I absolutely despise the term tryhard. Maybe it's just me but I find it to be a very bitter and accusatory term and I hate to hear it used whether in reference to me or another player.

Now I know that everybody has a different opinion on what exactly video games are. By that I mean some people use them as entertainment and don't really care about being really good at a game, or bothering to learn the mechanics to the point of being totally efficient/min-maxing their character. Still I just don?t feel that it's right to belittle someone else or try to diminish their sense of achievement just because they?re good at a game.

I suppose I should contextualise my statement a little more. Examples of the term can be "That guy has an MMR of 5000? What a tryhard" in DOTA2 or going 30-0 on a game of CoD and being called a tryhard by members of the team you just blew up. I've had it quite a lot over the course of my gaming career. When I bought my 360 I just plain sucked at FPS games. I had the original MW and I spent a lot of time dying over and over again since I hadn't played a console since the N64 years before. Once I got accustomed to the controls though I found I had a natural aptitude for FPS games and yes, I did derive a certain pleasure from being able to attain the scores and killstreaks I did. I also worked a full-time job at the time (and still do albeit a different job) so it wasn't like I was constantly playing the game or neglecting other aspects of my life JUST to be good at a FPS.

Still it bothers me that people feel the need to cast aspersions on you or make judgements about you as a person just because you?re good at a game. I never trash talked or made fun of people who didn't do as well as I did, I didn't gloat when I won. It just gave me a sense of satisfaction knowing that I had improved so much since I first played the game. That satisfaction was severely diminished by the fact that it would bring so much hostility towards me whenever I did play though.

Anyway I don?t like the term and I think it shouldn't be used.

What do you fellow Escapists think? Do you use the term? Have you ever been accused of being a tryhard? Do you take it as a compliment? Should I care?

TL;DR - The term tryhard irritates me. I don't like being called a tryhard. What do you think?

Zhukov

The Laughing Arsehole
Dec 29, 2009
Yeah, it's a bit of a weird one.

Of course it's generally just used as an insult for "person who happens to be better at this than me for reasons I have no real way of knowing but shall accredit to a lack of social connections or alternative activities and whose performance I would totally emulate if I could".

It seems rather out of place in any competitively geared game.

No, I personally don't use it.

Come to think of it, I've heard it used ironically more often than I have heard it used straight.

IceForce

Is this memes?
Legacy
Dec 11, 2012
Once again, Critical Miss has you covered:

The point is, there's a degrading label for everyone, no matter your gaming ability or skill level.

It's best to not let it get to you.

RJ 17

The Sound of Silence
Nov 27, 2011
Eh, I've never really understood the meaning behind calling someone a "try hard". Best I can surmise is that it's the opposite of being a newb, or perhaps more fitting it'd be the opposite of calling someone a "casual".

Regardless, I still don't see how anyone could get upset over what some random jackass online says. You kicked someone's ass in a game and they called you a "try hard"...so what? At worst it just sounds like sour grapes coming from the loser of the match, at best you should know that you've clearly displayed your superiority over the other team/player.

In the end, though, they're still all just voices in your headset, nothing more. They'll complain, spit, curse, and fling insults...what of it? Do you know that person? Do they know you? Will you ever run into them at work or school? Or are they just more random, faceless people spouting out bitter words of defeat?

I guess what I'm trying to say is quite simply don't let the voices in your headset get you down. If you're good at a game, just shine on you crazy diamond.

DiscoRhombus

Jan 6, 2014
IceForce said:
Once again, Critical Miss has you covered:

The point is, there's a degrading label for everyone, no matter your gaming ability or skill level.

It's best to not let it get to you.
There is, but even the comic is insulting in that instance. Suggesting that the only time you get called a tryhard is when you're unsporting and feel the need to win at all costs.

RJ 17 said:
Eh, I've never really understood the meaning behind calling someone a "try hard". Best I can surmise is that it's the opposite of being a newb, or perhaps more fitting it'd be the opposite of calling someone a "casual".

Regardless, I still don't see how anyone could get upset over what some random jackass online says. You kicked someone's ass in a game and they called you a "try hard"...so what? At worst it just sounds like sour grapes coming from the loser of the match, at best you should know that you've clearly displayed your superiority over the other team/player.

In the end, though, they're still all just voices in your headset, nothing more. They'll complain, spit, curse, and fling insults...what of it? Do you know that person? Do they know you? Will you ever run into them at work or school? Or are they just more random, faceless people spouting out bitter words of defeat?

I guess what I'm trying to say is quite simply don't let the voices in your headset get you down. If you're good at a game, just shine on you crazy diamond.
You're right, it shouldn't be such a point of contention for me. It's just so irritating because of the negative connotations of the word. It frustrates me that anyone would judge me that way without having a clue who I am or what I'm about. I guess I just need to accept that people can be real assholes and brush it off.

Elfgore

Your friendly local nihilist
Legacy
Dec 6, 2010
I always thought a tryhard was someone who blamed everything other than themselves if they die or don't do well. Like "I was reloading, that's the only reason you killed me." Or even blaming lag constantly and many other things.

I don't mind it. I've been called a tryhard before on BF3. I didn't care. Didn't feel like I it lessened my victory at all. I still went sixty and twenty, I honestly didn't give two shits about what the guy said.

josemlopes

Jun 9, 2008
I guess it falls a bit under context, if you are in a tournament you better be a tryhard but if you are in a place where everyone is playing casually it may come off the wrong way. This can be applied to anything really, not just games.

Its still dumb as games are designed to be a competition most of the time (with the clear goal of winning) so there never really is "trying too hard" as that is the exact point of the competition.

Just ignore what people say on the internet, your life will be a lot easier.

Evonisia

Your sinner, in secret
Jun 24, 2013
Tryharding is also a bit subjective, too. I tend to associate 'tryhard' with "people who use the more powerful equipment or upgrades for the purposes of getting a higher score". Y'know, like people who purposely have 3x Grenade and Noob Tubes in Call of Duty 4. Grenades are undeniably powerful and the only reason you're rolling a class like that is to get higher kills rather than for your own enjoyment (usually clan people who do it for the stats).

I don't mind being called it, I don't feel anything when I call people it, it's just a tool in the toolbox of internet name calling, but it's not one of the worst out there (at least for me, anyway).

The Lunatic

Princess
Jun 3, 2010
It's usually given to somebody playing below their tier.

Like a professional footballer turning up to a Kid's Sunday Session.

The argument is that these people are simply picking on players that can't match them because they're afraid of defeat should they fight players of equal footing.

DiscoRhombus

Jan 6, 2014
The Lunatic said:
It's usually given to somebody playing below their tier.

Like a professional footballer turning up to a Kid's Sunday Session.

The argument is that these people are simply picking on players that can't match them because they're afraid of defeat should they fight players of equal footing.
I can understand it a little more in that context but I think, as with any term on the internet, it's not always used correctly and often is used simply to berate someone for playing well or caring about their performance.

I just don't understand it because surely in a competitive game you should strive to compete to the best of your abilities (without sacrificing sportsmanship of course). I'm also pretty competent in a few fighters and when I play a player who is obviously new to the game and lacking many basic skills (such as blocking cross-ups) I won't simply exploit that until I win. I like to give people a chance and I hope that they get some pleasure out of the game whether they win or lose.

BloatedGuppy

Feb 3, 2010
DiscoRhombus said:
I can understand it a little more in that context but I think, as with any term on the internet, it's not always used correctly and often is used simply to berate someone for playing well or caring about their performance.
There's the key right there.

It's an insult.

It's meant to be insulting. It's the distaff counterpart to "casual" or "scrub", and it's no more or less idiotic.

aguspal

Aug 19, 2012
Lol, I always associated "Tyrhard" as a compliment rather than something that was negative...

For example, one time some random dude called me as begin in "try hard mode lol" when I did really will in a game suddenly when I was begin bad (or at least considerably worse than now) just moments ago... As in, you are trying really hard to win so you "became" a LOT better all of a sudden, it seems.

It dosnt seems negative at all...

The Wykydtron

"Emotions are very important!"
Sep 23, 2010
Hey I use it ironically... Sometimes.

"Wow what is this full AD Tryndamere starting red pot, instapushing and lol that shit level 1 dive what a tryhard."

I never say much in chat, seriously if anyone goes start throwing tryhard accusations around that guy gets laughed out of the game. Anyway, it's not that the guy is tryharding, it's more that I can't be bothered to try anymore.

"Oh this guy with his 100-0 combos and endless resets, might as well just afk now to save time."

Erttheking

Legacy
Oct 5, 2011
Country
United States
Huh. I tend to use the term when dealing with people who want to win a game way too much and starts swearing and losing his shit the second things start not going his way. Maybe we just assign different definitions to different phrases?

Kenmeah

Nov 20, 2010
Evonisia said:
Tryharding is also a bit subjective, too. I tend to associate 'tryhard' with "people who use the more powerful equipment or upgrades for the purposes of getting a higher score". Y'know, like people who purposely have 3x Grenade and Noob Tubes in Call of Duty 4. Grenades are undeniably powerful and the only reason you're rolling a class like that is to get higher kills rather than for your own enjoyment (usually clan people who do it for the stats).
That's exactly how I use it too. In my definition it's not just any given person trying their hardest to win. It's someone basically sacrificing a degree of enjoyment just so that they will have a better chance to win.

If you hate sniping but equip the kit because it's really good on the map you're on, you're tryharding.
If you pick Cammy instead of your favorite character Dudley because she's better against the character your opponent picked, you're tryharding.
If you pick a character you like playing (even if it's broken tier) and try your hardest to win, you're just playing the game.

But yeah it's usually used to infuriate people that are winning.

WoW Killer

Mar 3, 2012
It's just a crutch streamers use when they're beaten by someone and they're supposed to keep up some kind of tough guy attitude. You beat someone, they're bad, they beat you, they're a try hard. I used to watch the Smitegame channel a lot on Twitch and there's a number of "official" streamers (including one of the main promoters from inside the company) who would regularly use the term to justify themselves losing. It's a term you pull out when you haven't got the balls to complement the opponent and say you were outplayed.

m0ng00se

May 5, 2005
oh tryhard is what i call people who look like theyre trying too hard to be cool or fit in when i'd probably like them better if they were just themselves

like "look at captain tryhard with the idiot shirt"

never heard it in gaming before but my circles are all super competitive naturally

edit: yahtzee even uses it to the same effect in his column today

"It was a strong contender for the bottom 5, but I reluctantly decided that it had a certain tryhard charm that elevated it maybe a notch higher than all that horrible cynicism that actually did make it in."

the insult makes no sense in gaming, it's when you're clearly hoping to fake it til you make it, and everyone can tell you're faking it

StriderShinryu

Dec 8, 2009
Put simply, it's a stupid insult that really has no place. It implies that somehow wanting to be competitive and wanting to win, often in games where there is a pretty definitive winner and loser, is both A.) wrong and B.) not fun. Neither of these is true.

If the goal of the game is to win, it's actually the players who are deliberately not trying to win that are playing the game wrong. Now, that's not to say that they can't be having fun and, at the end of the day, if you're playing a racing game and driving around the track backwards and everyone agrees to it then it's all cool. But you're still not playing the game as intended and if someone wants to actually play it as intended, there's nothing about that which is insult worthy.

If the player is interested in winning, it doesn't mean they aren't having fun. In fact, as most players who have played in competitively charged atmospheres and/or at higher gameplay levels will tell you, that's actually when they find the game the most fun. There is nothing wrong with choosing strategies/characters/weapons/etc. in an attempt to win because that sort of meta play is often simply part of higher level play. In Street Fighter, for example, if you pick Cammy because you know your opponent's character has a rough time against her, that's not being a "tryhard," that's being smart and actually playing the game to it's potential.

Also, there's an assumption that people who know how to play a game get some sort of extra enjoyment out of beating those who aren't as skilled and/or knowledgeable as they are. That doesn't make someone a "tryhard," it makes them kind of a jerk. When you know what you're doing in a certain game it's actually instantly less fun to be playing against someone who you can beat easily. You're not testing your skills, you're either steamrolling or deliberately trying to hold back and not play well. Neither of those is fun if you're a knowledgeable player, and I'd wager it's not fun to be on the receiving end either knowing that the person you're playing against is deliberately playing bad just to try and give you a chance.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
erttheking said:
Huh. I tend to use the term when dealing with people who want to win a game way too much and starts swearing and losing his shit the second things start not going his way. Maybe we just assign different definitions to different phrases?
Oddly enough, the people who start swearing and losing their shit when things don't go their way are about the only ones who have called me tryhard. Part of the reason I'm not bothered is because it seems like they're the real tryhards, especially since I don't go out of my way to play to win. I mean, I don't play to lose, but losing rarely ruffles my feathers in itself.