One in Four UK Households Owns a Console

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
One in Four UK Households Owns a Console

With the global recession in full swing, many people are opting to stay in for their recreation instead of going out - and a recent survey found that a quarter of all households in the United Kingdom owned at least one gaming console.

These days, people have fewer spending money than they used to. In a survey conducted by Harris Interactive, over 2,000 households in the UK showed a growing preference for at-home entertainment. Why go out to the movies when a ticket is at least 10 USD per person for two hours of entertainment - not counting snacks - and you can get more than that at home for cheap?

Bad news for movie theaters, maybe, but good news for game retailers. Between November and February, 5% of those polled had purchased a Nintendo Wii - and Harris' final numbers indicate that at this point, 23% of all homes in the UK have a games console. Now, it isn't quite as impressive as one in five Japanese people [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/91625-One-in-Five-Japanese-People-Owns-a-DS] owning one particular brand of handheld, but those are some pretty impressive numbers.

It's unclear whether or not Harris Interactive was just counting current-gen consoles, or whether older generations would count - if the former, one would imagine that the actual number would be even higher than that.

"Brits have been taking advantage of the heavily discounted sales both before Christmas and in the first part of 2009," said Harris' research director Steve Evans. "It seems that the investment in home entertainment will mean people saving money by staying in, and preparing for some tough months ahead."

(CVG [http://www.mcvuk.com/news/34257/One-in-four-UK-households-owns-a-console])

Doug

Apr 23, 2008
Yeah, because soon the Big Brother watching masses won't be able to afford the alocohol they need to avoid having to think.

Angron

Jul 15, 2008
thats quite a few consoles, espesh as some people will have multiple ones, maybe even most people

like the austin powers pic tho ;)

Asehujiko

Feb 25, 2008
From the looks of it, they didn't count PCs. Either that or less then 25% of britain has internet access.

Jharry5

Nov 1, 2008
I'm not surprised really; casual gaming's really taken off from the people I know.

The Austin Powers picture though... [small]why?[/small]

Eagle Est1986

That One Guy
Nov 21, 2007
I wasn't asked anything in this survey, it's findings must be false! Also, what's with the pic of Austin Powers? Is that really what you think when you think of the UK?

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
Jharry5 said:
I'm not surprised really; casual gaming's really taken off from the people I know.

Eagle Est1986 said:
I wasn't asked anything in this survey, it's findings must be false! Also, what's with the pic of Austin Powers? Is that really what you think when you think of the UK?
Because when it comes to making a related picture to go with the posts, sometimes it's fun to do something absurd and yet easily recognizable? I could have gone with, say, Big Ben but that'd be kind of boring ;)

Eagle Est1986

That One Guy
Nov 21, 2007
CantFaketheFunk said:
Jharry5 said:

Eagle Est1986 said:
Because when it comes to making a related picture to go with the posts, sometimes it's fun to do something absurd and yet easily recognizable? I could have gone with, say, Big Ben but that'd be kind of boring ;)
Yeah, I did think that. Suppose there wasn't really any specific picture you could use. Perhaps maybe a British Bulldog (wrestler or canine) or a Simpsons still from their London episode. I dunno, I'm just grasping at straws here.