One Last look at Mass Effect 3.

Souplex

Souplex Killsplosion Awesomegasm
Jul 29, 2008
Frission said:
BloatedGuppy said:
Souplex said:
I'm still playing the multiplayer.
In a compelling stroke of irony the multiplayer was the best part of the game.
It is isn't it? The multiplayer developers were far better at judging their audience. Well that and the part with Mordin.

I sort of want to be happy with Mass Effect 3. Some parts were quite definitely good enough for me to overlook the imperfections. However as someone else said, the last line of the series being "buy more dlc" and the general fiasco that was the ending of the controversy just leaves a bitter taste in my mouth.

Conclusion? It could have been great, but now it can serve as an examples for some things you shouldn't do. Now let us never speak of this again.
I'd say overall the Genophage, and Geth arcs were pretty damn awesome, the one-off misiions that serve to highlight former squadmates are also good. The rest of the story is where it loses me.

Storm Dragon

Nov 29, 2011
I have mixed feelings about ME3. On the one hand, the game had many scenes that I loved: Shooting bottles with Garrus, Mordin curing the Genophage, brokering peace between the Geth and the Quarians, and Admiral Anderson's heartbreaking death scene; and I had a lot of fun zooming around the battlefield as a Vanguard, annihilating enemies with telekinesis-charged punches.

But then, all throughout the game, I kept noticing the flaws: a vastly reduced number of dialogue options (Shepard says eight lines on her own before you can make your first choice, I counted), the sidequests are 90% half-assed fetch quests, Harbinger is a complete non-entity, and the removal of the last remaining elements of exploration left in the series.

I didn't hate the ending with the same vitriol that so many others had. The glowy kid didn't bug me too much since it seemed clear to me that it was a crazy AI that was given too much power, and I could comprehend its reasoning for the purpose of the Reapers, which was basically the same as the Genophage on a much larger scale. But I still couldn't bring myself to actually like the ending because of all the other flaws: Joker fleeing, your crew magically being back on the Normandy, the destruction of the Relays, the moronic Adam and Eve allegory, and how utterly wasted Harbinger's potential was (Not even one line!), just to name a few.

The Extended Cut addressed many of these flaws, and I appreciate the effort, but it was too little too late. I was hoping it would make me say, "Wow, they did it, the new ending is perfect! Everything is wonderful now!" but instead, all it got out of me is what I expected it to get: "Well, I guess it's better." I can't help but wonder how everyone would have reacted if the Extended Cut had been the original ending.

Nowadays when I think about the Mass Effect series, it's with a feeling of weary apathy. I can't bring myself to care about the Leviathan or Omega DLCs because, for good or ill, Mass Effect is over for me. Going back to play the DLC would feel like... I don't know, a lie? I only returned to the game once after beating it, and even then it was only because A) I wanted to see how the Garrus romance story went, and B) I felt like I should experience the Extended Cut endings in the game itself, rather than just watching them on YouTube.

There was a time, not too long ago, when I would look upon an upcoming BioWare release with joy and nothing less than the highest expectations. Mass Effect 2 was the last game they made that even came close to these expectations, EA has corrupted that which I once loved. I have some minor interest in Dragon Age 3, but my hopes are far from up. Because these days, whenever I look at BioWare...
... all I see is this.

Frission

Until I get thrown out.
May 16, 2011
Pohaturon said:
Now i'll fly off to kill some geth in the great multiplayer mode in ME3, and let you haters get back to whining.
I could understand you until this sentence. You just couldn't resist snatching the low hanging fruit could you?

To think that there are some people who are actually perplexed why the people who didn't like Mass Effect 3's ending resent being called whiners and entitled.

Read the OP next time.

BehattedWanderer

Fell off the Alligator.
Jun 24, 2009
Can't really say, I just picked up the PS3 Trilogy edition, and am just now getting to ME3. That being said, however, I didn't exactly stay out of the controversy or spoilers, so I know a fair bit about it.

So far, for my playthrough, the only feasible possibility is to hit the reset button on galactic civilization, because it's not just about the current cycle's well being, it's about all future cycles as well. There's only four billion subtle references to indoctrination, so doing anything but destroying everything the Reapers are, and what they use to cull, would be a failure.

Of course, all this might change as I play more, and possibly when I play it all again on a different route, and I look forward to seeing how crap the ending is when you're in the series as a whole, but as of now, everything I've seen lines up.

Aug 19, 2010
Frission said:
Pohaturon said:
Now i'll fly off to kill some geth in the great multiplayer mode in ME3, and let you haters get back to whining.
I could understand you until this sentence. You just couldn't resist snatching the low hanging fruit could you?

To think that there are some people who are actually perplexed why the people who didn't like Mass Effect 3's ending resent being called whiners and entitled.

Read the OP next time.
I never dropped the word "entitled", nor would I, since whole the ending fiasco borderline redefined it's meaning, and it's entirely overused. Nor would it be appropriate in this context.
And as you'd know if you would have actually read my comment, that i too hate the endings, and the "haters" was adressed to those who were hating on other aspects of the game just to spite BW. I understand those with genuine arguments, but the people who go like "durr hurr the ending sucks so here's a million other trivial reasons why everyone HAS to hate this game" will get no respect from me. i meant no offence to anyone who does not share that closed minded view.

Mar 9, 2012
A Smooth Criminal said:
I'm wondering why I only saw good things being said about the game until people started to play the ending...

I think people were being so simple about it, they thought that a bad ending = bad game.

When people started to say "hold on on a minute, it was still a great game though" the ending people began to try and convince themselves that the game was terrible.

(Before any of you start saying "too soon": I am being hyperbolic of course.)

42Weasels

Oct 26, 2012
Akratus said:
Kopikatsu said:
I'm extremely disappointed that the Indoctrination theory wasn't what they went with. I mean...Bioware actually went and set everything up so perfectly...

The indoctrination theory is born of denial. It just leaves us with a non-ending.

If you want to wrap around the incomprehensible minds of the bioware writers I would suggest this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iiN8gL40d84
It really is the best 'last look' at mass effect. And he's done ME2 and DA2 as well.
I haven't finished ME3 myself. Maybe that means I shouldn't voice my opinion here. Maybe its a statement on the game all on its own. Maybe I'm going to post anyway.

The gameplay was nothing gripping, and the story was dull (and as I'm sure everyone knows gets worse) so I had no reason to press on instead of calling it quits and booting up the ol' Skyrim again. But the depth to this indoctrination theory is aaaalmost enough to get me to change my mind, which is more than anything else has done.

Lexodus

Apr 14, 2009
BleedingPride said:
Personally I thought it was the best in the trilogy. All the plot lines and choices and people in the universe i shaped gathered all together in one massive epic last stand, and I loved every moment of it. I'm happy with Ext. Cut endings.
I smell a Bioware employee!

T3hSource

Mar 5, 2012
I don't even remember what I was feeling back then,probably trying my best to be apathetic about it and let the emotions get to me.Only in the moments after finishing it,I couldn't get it out of my head until the end of the day,and I couldn't stop ranting on mere notion of "Mass Effect 3 ending" until the end of the week.This forum was also involved in the calamity that was brought forth by angry fanboys.
I was also trying to stay publicly neutral on the topic,but I was in agreement with the fans,the ending was incomprehensible garbage.Then I watched MrBtongue and subscribed to him(seriously,his few videos are quite good),and then the smudboy's channel which dissect,analyze and point out the galring flaws of the Mass Effect plot and how ME3 was the culmination of it falling apart completely.
I never believed the indoctrination theory,it was a well put together conspiracy mystery put together by the fans,but I knew it was never intended by the developer,because if it was,they'd give actual hints about it in the actual game.Then comes Jim saying that the backlash is "good".which I agree to a certain point,and like you mentioned Bob,who never really researched the topic and never took our perspective as players.
It was quite interesting to witness this event,it didn't die down until the end March,when everyone moved on and never really looked back.I also played the two story DLCs,the were OK,maybe not the price they're asking for,but the stories told are "good",as in: it makes sense as long as you don't really think about it and don't ask questions about previously established lore,context and plot points that conflict with current events.Which is enough for most people.

TL;DR Tried my best not to care about it and stayed neutral on the subject.(I just wanted Tali)

Keith Fraser

Mar 12, 2012
Having finally played the game recently and got the original ending by accident (because of some sort of screwup with the Extended Cut), I can see exactly why people were so angry 9 months ago. To take something a player has potentially invested 100-odd hours in (if they took the same Shepard through all 3 games) and give them a lazy different-coloured-explosions conclusion that resolves nothing and doesn't even leave interesting unanswered questions is just...fail. (I'm pretty sure the developers were going for some sort of Evangelion/2001-esque "make you think" ending, but Mass Effect's story up to that point just didn't lend itself to that kind of ending.)

That said, I enjoyed a good deal of the rest of the third game. I agree that the overall plot (build the Plot Resolution Machine, fight Cerberus On Steroids and wallow in doom and gloom) was lacking, but I liked the two big pre-conclusion plot missions (the Tuchanka and Rannoch arcs) and most of the combat mechanics changes. I even had fun with the multiplayer. The big dip in quality definitely comes from about Priority:Thessia onwards, which leads me to think that deadline-rush issues were at least partly to blame.

One thing that puzzles me complaints-wise is people saying Liara was shilled/given too big a role/etc. What exactly do these complaints refer to? I didn't think she was pushed into too big a plot role or talked up too much; if anything I thought she needed more interaction dialogue. (Admittedly I actually like her as a character for the most part and the Shepard I used in my ME3 playthough was romancing her.)

Mar 9, 2012
FargoDog said:
Who thought that was a good idea?
The responsibly for the ending lies with Casey Hudson and Mac Walters. They locked out all the other writers, and refused to subject the script for the ending to the same peer-preview process the rest of the script went through.

For reference, Walters also wrote the opening, which is probably the second worst part of the plot.

To be fair, according to the Final Hours mini-documentary, Walters was actually in favor of making Casper the Genocidal Ghost less ambiguous, but Hudson said that the people "didn't need to know all the answers." Guess what one of the things added in the Extended Cut was...

DioWallachia

Sep 9, 2011
A Smooth Criminal said:
I'm wondering why I only saw good things being said about the game until people started to play the ending...

I think people were being so simple about it, they thought that a bad ending = bad game.

When people started to say "hold on on a minute, it was still a great game though" the ending people began to try and convince themselves that the game was terrible.
The SpoilerWarningShow (who has Shamus Young from The Escapist) and Smudboy already broke the rest of the game to pieces. And even if those parts were ANY good, that still leaves the fact that the developers lied about your choices mattering at all and the 16 endings that would be different from one another as a result of those choices during ALL the series.