One Million Moms Fights Gay Superheroes

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
One Million Moms Fights Gay Superheroes

One Million Moms wants DC Comics to keep its heroes in the closet.

DC Comics announced [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/117375-DC-Says-One-Of-Its-Iconic-Heroes-Is-Gay] earlier this week that one of its "iconic" superheroes is gay. Which one? That won't be revealed until sometime in June (my money's on Flash), which gives the One Million Moms, a conservative Christian activist group formed by the American Family Association, some time to do its worst to put the brakes on the whole thing.

DC originally intended to make its first openly gay superhero a brand-new character, but then reevaluated its position and decided to simply use the DC universe "reboot" to reintroduce one of its existing characters as gay. For the Million Moms, that took the situation from uncomfortable to intolerable.

"Parents may have been able to avoid a new character since it would not be one many children have grown to admire," the group wrote on its website [http://www.onemillionmoms.com/IssueDetail.asp?id=456]. But now, a superhero that kids have grown up with will suddenly have the gay. "Who will they choose; Batman, Superman, Flash, Green Lantern, Plastic Man, or another one of their characters that children look up to?"

And that's not all! In an even "more shocking" twist, Marvel superhero Northstar, who came out in the mid-90s while still a member of Alpha Flight, recently married his man. "Children desire to be just like superheroes. Children mimic superhero actions and even dress up in costumes to resemble these characters as much as possible," they said. "Can you imagine little boys saying, 'I want a boyfriend or husband like X-Men?'"

"This is ridiculous! Why do adult gay men need comic superheroes as role models? They don't but do want to indoctrate [sic] impressionable young minds by placing these gay characters on pedestals in a positive light," they continued. "These companies are heavily influencing our youth by using children's superheroes to desensitize and brainwash them in thinking that a gay lifestyle choice is normal and desirable."

In response, One Million Moms is calling upon its membership - which is substantially less than one million, by the way - to email both DC and Marvel "urging them to change and cancel all plans of homosexual superhero characters immediately." Unfortunately for the Moms, it's too late to do anything about Northstar, as his wedding went down a couple days ago in Astonishing X-Men issue 50, but there's still hope for Flash! (Or, you know, whoever.)

The whole thing is beyond odious, and the suggestion that exposure to gay superheroes could somehow "indoctrinate" children into homosexuality betrays a stunning level of ignorance, fear and even hatred. On the upside, the actual influence of the One Million Moms seems minimal at best. Northstar's may be the first same-sex wedding for a superhero but he was actually beaten to the altar by a couple of Archie Comics characters; that wedding attracted the ire [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/116075-One-Million-Moms-Want-Same-Sex-Archie-Comic-Out-of-Toys-R-Us] of the OMM as well, but the campaign to force the book out of stores backfired, as the issue quickly sold out.

Zhukov

The Laughing Arsehole
Dec 29, 2009
When did "family" become a euphemism for "uptight conservative killjoys"?

monkeymo4d

Jan 22, 2012
I wonder who it could be *looks at guy with blue and red FABULOUS tights* . But seriously its these fundamentalist busy body moms like these who give Christianity a ba-......worse name.

Eric the Orange

Gone Gonzo
Apr 29, 2008
whenever I see an article like this it reads in my head,

"you're challenging my societal norms and that make me uncomfortable."

Diablo1099_v1legacy

Doom needs Yoghurt, Badly
Dec 12, 2009
Kinda like the Idea of a Gay Superhero that Isn't a stereotype.
It also kinda a tribute to those who stayed in the closet, now they can know that one of their favourite heroes understands what it's like.
Now for the record, I'm straight, just saying.
Also, I have to admit, now I think it's the Flash as well!

Evilsanta

Apr 12, 2010
Why single out The Flash? I mean all of them have thights that a little to form fitting and FABULOUS. It could be anyone!

OT: I wonder if some DC higher up will come with a witty reply to those wacky moms like the Archie comics CEO. That would be awesome.

TheRightToArmBears

Dec 13, 2008
If the kids are already looking up to big manly men in spandex getting along really well, I don't really think one of them being openly gay is going to make the slightest bit of difference.

Hazy992

Why does this place still exist
Aug 1, 2010
''Oh noes! We can't have kids and teens reading about gay superheroes because then they might realise being gay is normal! We can't have that!''

Seriously when I read bullshit like this I can't help but be embarrassed. Future generations are gonna look back at us with shame.

Dragoon

Jan 19, 2010
That was so unintentionally hilarious to read, gotta love those christian activist groups.

Wolfram23

Mar 23, 2004
Apparently gay kids don't need superhero rolemodels, but hetero ones do. Is it because they are already super (and they know it)?

Surpheal

Jan 23, 2012
When I first read the title of the article, the first thing to pop into my mind was "good luck with that."

No, but seriously, it's people like these that make me want to tie a bee hive to a length of string and just start swinging at them. I mean come on, they are fictional characters. Why are they complaining about how characters that have never and will never exist in any form outside of costumes and pictures.

Lizardon

Robot in Disguise
Mar 22, 2010
I think they are a bit late to stop this. If it is coming out next month it has probably already been written and drawn, possibly already printed and ready to go (I'm no expert on the comic book production process).

This made me wonder what the ratio of kid to adults who read these comics are. These people are obviously assuming that the comics have kids as there target audience but is that really true any more?

"Can you imagine little boys saying, 'I want a boyfriend or husband like X-Men?'"
Do they think "X-Men" is a singular hero? I can forgive them for being ignorant about homosexuality, and not knowing how much one million is, but this is unacceptable!

Tireseas_v1legacy

Plop plop plop
Sep 28, 2009
As if they were responding to the Batshit-Signal, here they come right on cue. On a side note, does Batman even still use the light for anything other than smoke breaks with Gordon?

On a side note, my money's on Green Arrow or Black Canary. Batman would be a tad easy. Also, he's had/still in a love triangle with Catwoman/Selena Kyle (sometimes cheating on both of those personalities with the other) and Talia al Ghul (who he has a son with named Damian [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Damian_Wayne]; family reunions must be a *****...). Maybe a four-dimensional shape may be more appropriate than triangle in this case, but it's fairly set that's straight.

rayen020

May 20, 2009

at first i wanted to pull lines and crack jokes. but the more i read the more i realized i couldn't make anything funnier than what they were actually saying.

on a more serious note, what total homophobes. this is beyond ridiculous.

EDIT; I was joking. My apologies.

bafrali

Mar 6, 2012
Lizardon said:
"Can you imagine little boys saying, 'I want a boyfriend or husband like X-Men?'"
Do they think "X-Men" is a singular hero? I can forgive them for being ignorant about homosexuality, and not knowing how much one million is, but this is unacceptable!
I think they meant that chidren would say "we want to be gay like they are."No need for a nerd rage about it.

Idea was stupid to begin with.Arguments about the idea are naturally even stupider.Wish DC would just cut the stunt and introduce a new guy with pants.Drama is killing me

zidine100

Mar 19, 2009
thinking that a gay lifestyle choice is normal and desirable."
so one million moms are openly homophobic.

well they will probably be ignored in this anyways so go figure.

Issurru

Jun 13, 2010
So OMM (nom anyone?) actually used "have the gay"? I'm somewhat surprised I didn't expect any "serious" group to ever use phrases like that, but seeing as they don't seem to know how to count correctly I guess that should have tipped me off first that they may as well be a bunch of trolls

Also it can't be the Flash, since it's obviously Aquaman, seriously. Look at his tights! I do believe that his tights are the most FABULOUS of them all