One Million Moms Want Same-Sex Archie Comic Out of Toys 'R' Us

idodo35

Jun 3, 2010
WOW cant wait for these moms to hear about one of the openly gay characters new ONGOING siries! XD and also fuck them if gay people wanna get married its their right!

The Great JT

Oct 6, 2008
I know this is going to sound really dark, but maybe we should re-name the organazation "One Million Kids With Dead Moms" because I cannot tolerate this much raw stupid.

idarkphoenixi

May 2, 2011
Why don't we all ban algebra too?

I mean, we don't want the poor children to get confused to we? Then we might have to actually teach them something *shudder*

D Moness

Left the building
Sep 16, 2010
Hiroshi Mishima said:
I find the number of moms that actually are offended by this to be rather unbelievable, despite the current US population being over 300 million strong. In fact, this only further raises the issue.

Is one million moms even all that effective? Out of the entire US population, approximately .3% are actually offended by this? Seriously, "moms", get a little perspective.
Even more "funny" is the fact their twitter only has 1200 followers though they claim their facebook has 44.000 members. So they may call themselves one million moms so maybe 0.03% is closer to the truth. Dunno if that 0.03% know how democracy works but 0.03% is not a majority (just a very vocal annoying big minority)

Airsoftslayer93

Minecraft King
Mar 17, 2010
Because heaven forbid your child could see 2 people in love. Or that you should have to answer questions from them.

Falseprophet

Jan 13, 2009
Blind Sight said:
Not much else to say here really. The Moms have voiced their opinion, but the company obviously doesn't see it as a threat to their consumer base and thus are rightly ignoring the complaints.
I heard a recent interview with Alex Segura, director of publicity and marketing for Archie Comics. He claimed ever since the company got away from its 1960s stasis and made their books more progressive--more visible minority characters, Archie and Valerie's interracial kiss, Kevin Keller, the Betty and Veronica wedding issues--sales have skyrocketed. (Archie Comics is privately held and not accountable to any shareholders.) So it's pretty clear the free market has spoken on this issue.

Mike Fang said:
On the OTHER hand, sexuality can be a very complicated subject, one that I can imagine a lot of children having a tough time understanding. Explaining the birds and the bees to a child for the first time is something that needs to be approached carefully. Having to do that at the same time as explaining homosexuality is really tossing a kid into the deep end to teach him or her how to swim. So while printing the comic may not be a legitimate thing to complain about, selling it in a toy store could be seen as going a step too far. This is one issue that may have been better to have limited releases.
I strongly disagree. To a young child, everything is complicated. Parents are able to explain heterosexual relationships to children: mommy and daddy are married; your aunt is going to marry that man and he'll be your uncle; your older brother has a girlfriend. Why is it so much harder to explain that two men are married, or two women are dating? You do not have to explain the plumbing of homosexual sexuality to explain homosexual relationships any more than telling your kids "mommy and daddy are married" has to immediately segue into a discussion of penises and vaginas.

I cannot accept that explaining the concept of homosexual relationships is more complicated than explaining the concepts of ex-spouses and stepfamilies that even more children are likely to be exposed to, and yet I don't see a call to ban comics featuring divorcés and stepparents.

Blind Sight

May 16, 2010
idarkphoenixi said:
Why don't we all ban algebra too?

I mean, we don't want the poor children to get confused to we? Then we might have to actually teach them something *shudder*
Well after all, math is just a theory:

(Obviously not real, it's a satire on the 'Should we teach kids evolution in school?' question from Miss USA)

Otaku World Order

Nov 24, 2011
Carsus Tyrell said:
Still rocking Shizune eh OWO? :D Isn't that the one you rolled out for the hatchet guy back in the KS group?

OT: Gotta give a round of applause to Mr. Goldwater setting them straight, stupidity is still stupidity and dressing it up as the old "wahh it's my opinion" flak jacket doesn't make you less of a dunce when someone nails you with a .50 Cal Anti Moron round.
Indeed it is. Shizune is awesome.

Akalabeth said:
If by call you on it, you mean throw a tantrum, make huge and unfair assumptions about their character and motivations, attack and vilify then sure. But realize that by doing so you are acting in a manner that to my mind is even more reprehensible and intolerant than the viewpoint you seek to argue against.

If people wish to disagree with this viewpoint, then sure, but try to conduct yourself with some decorum and view the matter objectively. instead of assuming things to the extent where you are effectively attacking a lie of your own creation.

Or in short, be a little mature. Or at least come to realize how your response is self-defeated and undermined by your own intolerant and subjective viewpoint.
That's a fair enough point.

So, let's look at this objectively.

One Million Moms, the group behind this, was also behind protest of Ellen DeGeneres as a spokesperson for JC Penney. Why? Because she's gay. Was she promoting a homosexual lifestyle or anything that would "harm the children" as part of her job? No. Would Ellen's position cause children to ask questions that parents wouldn't be ready to answer? No.

So when the same group comes out against a comic book, is it more likely that their objections are based on:

a) The belief that there children are too young to understand the nature of a homosexual relationship and that they should bee older and more mature before being taught about such things.

Or

b) A belief that homosexuality is wrong and that there's a "homosexual agenda" out to corrupt their children.

Given the fact that the AFA, the group behind One Million Moms, has talked about the whole "homosexual agenda" on a number of occasions, I think it's safe to assume the answer is "b".

See, you're accusing me of "guessing" at their motives and character, but they've already made their motives and character clear through their own past actions and the goals of the organization they are a part of.

Thistlehart

Nov 10, 2010
Y'know, this makes me want to start reading the Sonic the Hedgehog comics again. I rather enjoyed those. There were some remarkable stories in there. Hooleee shit were there. Some pretty dark stuff, too.

Good on you Archie Comics *applauds*. Makes me want to buy your products. Good advertising.

Capthca: outsice urtunic

What? I don't even own a tunic!

Kamehapa

Oct 8, 2009
Volf said:
Realitycrash said:
Volf said:
Realitycrash said:
Volf said:
Don't see the problem, parents should be able to limit what their kids see.
Well, then kids shouldn't be let outside, because whenever I walk down the street, I see promotions for violent movies/games/tv-shows/music or promotions for fashion/tv-shows/movies/music that appeal to sex, not to mention the commersials/shows that are on TV.
Or the news. Damn, the NEWS! Children shouldn't be allowed to watch the news.
Or read the news.
Or actually, go to school. Then you have to interact with other people, and they might you know, share information.

Edit: And more OT..What do these moms mean when they say "children shouldn't be bothered with what is hard to understand."? How hard IS it?
How about "Hey, some men love men, and some women love women, and they can get married too. It's about love."? Seems pretty simple to me.
I didn't say sheltered, just that parents should be able to control what subjects toy stores expose children to.
Then parents can vote with their wallets and go somewhere else?
If Toys R Us released a new GI-Joe action-figure, why should we allow that? Should parents have a say too? How about an easy-bake oven? Should parents have a say there?

No? Because these things aren't "offensive"? Well, neither is homosexuality.
wrong, some people find homosexual marriage "offensive" when comparing it to heterosexual marriage, they have a right to voice their opinion just as much as anybody else.
Lets take this back a couple decades with your last statement.

"wrong, some people find biracial marriage "offensive" when comparing it to normal marriage, they have a right to voice their opinion just as much as anybody else."

Freedom of speech =/= freedom to be a bigot.

Ddgafd

Jul 11, 2009
One million moms and not a single one of them is a good parent.

I don't know whether to laugh or cry. On the one hand this is laughably stupid, but on the other I can't believe people still have narrow-minded beliefs such as this. That was a very good response form the co-CEO however.

PS. Is it just me, or are half the posts here replies to or posts by Volf?

Radoh

Bans for the Ban God~
Jun 10, 2010
Okay, I sort of agreed with their reasoning that perhaps at the checkouts might not be the best place to deal with a complex issue. But then they wanted them gone from everywhere, so now I'm stuck with another quandry: Where is the nearest Toys R' Us?

portal_cat

Jun 25, 2009
they can complain until they're blue in the mouth but it's not up to them what Toys R Us sells.