One Million Moms Want Same-Sex Archie Comic Out of Toys 'R' Us

Treblaine

Jul 25, 2008
"This is the last place a parent would expect to be confronted with questions from their children on topics that are too complicated for them to understand."

What about Action Man or GI Joe? Or any military based toy, the morality of killing enemies of the state are pretty complicated for a child to fully understand.

Or what about Barbie in a wedding dress, clearly bringing up the issue of marriage.

Bullshit excuse convinces NO ONE!

PS: Jon Goldwater wins one internetz

Rainboq

Elite Member
Nov 19, 2009
Volf said:
Don't see the problem, parents should be able to limit what their kids see.
Why? What if the child IS gay? Surely this sort of media would be beneficial to such a child. In addition, why shouldn't a child be exposed to this, it would help prevent homophobia from an early age.

OT: Suddenly, I have the urge to go to Toys R' Us again.

Rainboq

Elite Member
Nov 19, 2009
Volf said:
wrong, some people find homosexual marriage "offensive" when comparing it to heterosexual marriage, they have a right to voice their opinion just as much as anybody else.
Okay, I'll bite, why do they find it offensive, and why should we even listen to them?

Otaku World Order

Nov 24, 2011
Akalabeth said:
A better question is what the hell is wrong with you? Your post is more judgemental and intolerant than anything quoted from this organization.

This board is rife with individuals who are the first to jump on the parents when some video game child goes awry and acts like a crazy person. The first and most prevalent comment is "where were the parents? Why don't they do a better job?"

And here you have a group of mothers, whose apparent concern is fundamentally not about homosexual relationships, but rather the time and manner in which their kids are educated about such relationships. Ie their concern is not about gays, it's about raising thier kids in the manner they see fit. And there's nothing fundamentally wrong with that.

Why is a parent who doesn't want to expose their kids to sex and violence treated any differently than a parent who doesn't want to expose their kids to the concept of homosexuality?
If you don't want your kids exposed to homosexuality, that's your business. If you want to protect your kids from sex and violence, that's also your business.

Look, I get that it's hard to protect your children from that stuff, especially with the state of media these days. If this was about informing parents about something, I wouldn't have a problem. But it's not about informing people, now is it? No, it's about telling one company that they can't have a gay character in their comic book because it offends them.

If it offends you, don't buy it. Simple. If you think Toys R' Us shouldn't sell it, don't shop there. If you want to inform the public about it and get like-minded parents to stay away from it, that's good too. But if you get on some crusade of "This is not appropriate for *my* child, therefore it should not exist", I'm going to call you on it.

And if you want to avoid exposing your child to homosexuality, you're probably going to have to lock them in the attic.

A Raging Emo

Apr 14, 2009
This is the last place a parent would expect to be confronted with questions from their children on topics that are too complicated for them to understand.
Some men love other dudes. Some women love other chicks.

It's really not that complex an issue, lady.

Unfortunately, children are now being exposed to same-sex marriage in a toy store.
ohnowhateverarewegoingtodo?

What I can't understand is why some people are offended by this, or homosexuality in general.

Warped_Ghost

Sep 26, 2009
Skullkid4187 said:
When did the Escapist become the head of internet politics?
Since everyone on this website started giving a f**k about things unrelated to gaming.

On the homosexual comic book issue with a somewhat questionable organization protesting its existence

....go (imaging which ever side you want to win here)

Mar 9, 2010
Qitz said:
God forbid a parent, you know, be a parent and explain things to their kids.
But it's too complex for them to understand! How on earth could you explain that men can love men and women can love women? What would you say, "Men can love men and women can love men," oh did I just explain it? Sorry OMM, you cluster of conservative overbearing shrews.

Fucking people man, they're just so fucking stupid.

Blind Sight

May 16, 2010
Mortai Gravesend said:
Juvenile? Oh I'm so sorry that I don't treat prejudice with the respect it deserves. Oh wait, yes I do. None. His demeanor is quite irrelevant, don't be absurd. Politely treating gays as lesser is still just as fucked up.

Oh and if you don't like how I'm acting... do something about it? Oh wait, you can't. So I'll be a 'condescending ass' to people who act prejudiced all I like and you can go on and pander to them.

And I don't care if someone is so illogical they think it undermines my argument. Their inability to logically evaluate an argument isn't my problem, it's theirs. Deal with it.
God forbid you be the better man and have a civil discussion. No, a holier then thou attitude is definitely the most effective way to convey a point.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
jurnag12 said:
What did you tell your kids when they saw your wedding pictures? Same story.
But...But that's totally different. Heterosexuals are supposed to get married because ponies. Homosexuals aren't supposed to because ponies.

Besides, why should I be exposed to things that are uncomfortable to me?

Man, I can't wait to see the outrage when these people find out there are negro dolls in the same aisle as the white ones....It'll be heck on earth.

Hiroshi Mishima

Sep 25, 2008
I find the number of moms that actually are offended by this to be rather unbelievable, despite the current US population being over 300 million strong. In fact, this only further raises the issue.

Is one million moms even all that effective? Out of the entire US population, approximately .3% are actually offended by this? Seriously, "moms", get a little perspective.

And as a couple people have already said, there are FAR worse toys out there. Don't get me started on the shit those "Bratz" represent, either. We've got products in toy stores showing girls how to become whores, and they're worried about a gods-damned comic, which many children don't even read?

I thought Archie stopped being popular amongst kids years ago. I never knew anyone who read it when I was growing up, and most of the people I know who read it now are adults, anyways.

EDIT: Oh yeah, and if these "moms" want to protect their children, maybe they could start by raising them instead of getting angry at everything which doesn't conform to their biased or prejudiced world views. Either way, the kids are going to form their own opinions about stuff. And if these parents get so damned uppity cause a guy is holding hands with another guy, that kid might take offense to it as well cause their mother and/or father reacts so negatively around it.

This is probably one of the worst things parents can ***** about, cause it means many of the KIDS will, too.

AwKwardly

Feb 29, 2012
Mad props to Archie and Jon Goldwater (slick last name as well) for sticking with it (though I 'spose they would've had to have seen a backlash coming).

Opinions are like assholes, everyone's got one and they all stink.

That being said time to spread my cheeks and dump one out for y'all. It is a parents right to educate their children. More importantly it's their RESPOSIBILIty to do so. If they want to decide their children will be willfully ignorant of a reality and instead advocate a fallacy then unfortunately they very much can, and do.

Savryc

NAPs, Spooks and Poz. Oh my!
Aug 4, 2011
Otaku World Order said:
Snipidy snip snip
Still rocking Shizune eh OWO? :D Isn't that the one you rolled out for the hatchet guy back in the KS group?

OT: Gotta give a round of applause to Mr. Goldwater setting them straight, stupidity is still stupidity and dressing it up as the old "wahh it's my opinion" flak jacket doesn't make you less of a dunce when someone nails you with a .50 Cal Anti Moron round.