One of a kind EVE ship gets blown up in 700 billion isk backstab

BrotherRool

Oct 31, 2008
..or rather one in three. The Revenant is a capital ship so rare that only 3 of them exist in the entire game. Unfitted the pilot still bought it for 290 billion isk (and in contrast the month long ongoing war between the two largest factions in EVE has only destroyed 1300 billion isk worth of ships total.)

And it was all destroyed by one traitor, along with 9 other supercarriers. The total ISK lost is around 700 billion which is the same amount as the ISK lost in the entirety of the 3000 man Battle for Asakai. [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/121756-Massive-EVE-Online-Superbattle-Blocks-The-Stars]

Pandemic Legion organise hunting parties which are small groups of supercarriers who go out and jump and destroy small groups of high value ships for fun and tears. A spy within in the group Pandemic Legion told his friends about a fantastic opportunity he'd found and they needed to follow him right now. The group, despite playing EVE, thought this sounded like a great idea and followed him. Right into an enemy fleet of 50 dreadnoughts. The results weren't pretty.

Naturally whats probably the biggest loss to an AWOX(when a person attacks their allies) ever, generated a lot of rage, which can be enjoyed here [https://soundcloud.com/nan-6/xxxgrath-ragexxx-full-version] (NSFW). The rage proper begins about 2 minutes 30.

Further reading here [http://themittani.com/news/ten-pl-supercarriers-ambushed-revenant-down] and here. [jestertrek.blogspot.de/2013/06/fit-of-week-minigame-buzzard-and-heron.html#comment-form]

Angelblaze

Jun 17, 2010
Heheheheheheheheheheeeeeee

Oh god...I swear I love this game. I suck at Eve and I can't sustain a great amount of money - the mount I ever had was 40 million.

But the amount of backstabbing and slicing and arguing that can take place in a day. I love how he can laugh it off happily, cause I really can't take this guy all serious.

Geo Da Sponge

May 14, 2008
You know, I've never actually played EVE, but I do love reading about it.

It just seems to routinely create a level of drama and deceit that would make the characters of Game of Thrones blush.

shootthebandit

May 20, 2009
I dont really know much about eve online (i understand the basic etc) so im kind of oblivious to the significance of this.

Do people spend real world money on these ships? Im assuming like a lot of these second life MMOs theres some sort of exchange rate between real currency and fictional currency on the black market of the internet. If so is it possible for me to make a profit out of it

I dont really like the idea of paying a sub for a game and i dont like games like this that require a lot of time especially when i have a full time job. I played runescape as a kid (because a lot of friends played it) i just couldnt invest the time into it as i got bored after an hour. I prefer games with a lot more action and where i have more direct control of my player. However the sheer scope of this game is intruiging to me

Tethalaki

You fight like a dairy farmer.
Nov 5, 2009
shootthebandit said:
I dont really know much about eve online (i understand the basic etc) so im kind of oblivious to the significance of this.
There's no real significance. Pandemic Legion got out meta-gamed, and lost a few super carriers including one giant space turd. Seriously, look at it:

shootthebandit said:
Do people spend real world money on these ships? Im assuming like a lot of these second life MMOs theres some sort of exchange rate between real currency and fictional currency on the black market of the internet. If so is it possible for me to make a profit out of it
You can buy game time codes (like the prepaid game cards for WoW) for $15-$20 which will give 30 days. You can turn these into in-game items that can be sold on the market (current price is roughly 540M for 30 days). There is no way, outside of breaking the EULA, to turn in-game ISK into real money.

So yes, while it is possible to turn real money into ISK to buy ships: it really isn't that great of idea.

BrotherRool

Oct 31, 2008
EDIT: Ninja'd
shootthebandit said:

I dont really like the idea of paying a sub for a game and i dont like games like this that require a lot of time especially when i have a full time job. I played runescape as a kid (because a lot of friends played it) i just couldnt invest the time into it as i got bored after an hour. I prefer games with a lot more action and where i have more direct control of my player. However the sheer scope of this game is intruiging to me
There are two ways you can play your subscription in EVE online. You can do it the normal way, or you can play with Plex which is a tradable, movable, destroyable option that can be bought with real money. So you get some people who buy Plex and sell it for the in-game currency (ISK) so they can afford expensive ships like these (but hopefully not these, because in that case they would have spent around $20,000 dollars on them) and other people buy their Plex with ISK and use it so that they never have to pay subscription. It's all totally aboard and dev sanctioned, the only thing you can't do is sell ISK for real money directly (although of course there's a black market out there).

I'm not sure how expensive Plex is though in terms of ISK, you might have to be quite rich in EVE before you can afford to not pay subscription costs. Maybe someone else can fill you in on how hard it is.

Fappy

\[T]/
Jan 4, 2010
Country
United States
Oh man this is great. I will never play EVE, but the way it handles it's world and players needs to be adapted by the genre as a whole. They're doing it right.

shootthebandit

May 20, 2009
Witty Name Here said:
shootthebandit said:

It's very complex, so you probably wouldn't get the hang of it... However...

EVE online is one of the few, if not the only game, where the developers have pretty much officially stated that any kind of action or behavior is okay so long as it's not hacking or literally changing the code of the game.

EVE is essentially "Anarcho-Capitalism: The Game" with players owned corporations warring with one another, and doing such lovely things as destroying miners to inflate the price of minerals, or hiring assassins to destroy certain players. Perhaps the most infamous incident is when someone formed a banking corporation... Then stole all the money, bought one of the most expensive ships in the game, and fled into darkspace, putting a MASSIVE BOUNTY ON HIS OWN HEAD as essentially a dare for anyone to come after him. It's one of the few games where you can probably feel like some kind of super villain.
That sort of thing would appeal to me if i was jobless and had loads of freetime but i just dont have the time to invest in something like that

You didnt really answer my question. Can you trade in game stuff for real-life currency (legit or not) if so how much would one of these superships fetch in real money like USD or GBP and if that is possible how easy would it be to set up yourself in the game purely to make a profit (e g playing the ingame stock market or finding easy ways to get expensive stuff quickly). Ive heard of people doing this on WoW and making a small fortune

DoPo

"You're not cleared for that."
Jan 30, 2012
shootthebandit said:
You didnt really answer my question. Can you trade in game stuff for real-life currency (legit or not)
Erm, two other people pointed out that, no, you cannot do that. Unless you want to risk the black market and your account being banned.

shootthebandit said:
how easy would it be to set up yourself in the game purely to make a profit (e g playing the ingame stock market or finding easy ways to get expensive stuff quickly).
From what I know, not really easy, as CCP tend to not like that sort of thing.

Sixcess

Feb 27, 2010
Fappy said:
Oh man this is great. I will never play EVE, but the way it handles it's world and players needs to be adapted by the genre as a whole. They're doing it right.
This.

I've always wanted to try EVE but I'm way too casual/solo for the game... but even so I think it's an absolute jewel in the MMO crown, and a fantastic example of how to do a real uber-sandbox. Stories like this are a big part of why I think that.

tilmoph

Gone Gonzo
Jun 11, 2013
I love reading about EVE. It produces some of the best "Fuck you" stories of any MMO. Sometimes I'll think about playing, but naw, I'd probably be on the receiving end of some giant dick move that basically frags months worth of playtime. Still, it's very fun to observe from a distance.

Vivi22

Aug 22, 2010
Geo Da Sponge said:
You know, I've never actually played EVE, but I do love reading about it.
Agreed. I've never played it, I never plan on playing it, and don't even really have interest beyond some mild curiosity, but god damn if it isn't fun reading about how seriously people take it, how much time and money they put in, and how much their souls are crushed when shit like this happens.

LetalisK

May 5, 2010
I love how most of them enjoyed getting wiped out. The petulant little rager made the contrast even better.

Total LOLige

Jul 17, 2009
This song must apply somehow:

Sounds like a cool game but I'm not an MMOer, too much time needs to be invested. I'm more of the "plug and play" type of gamer.

Angelous Wang

Lord of I Don't Care
Oct 18, 2011
Whilst I do like to hear about these kind of EVE events, because it's great we have something out there where this can happen, it's really pointless news to non-EVE players unless someone filmed it.

Then everyone can enjoy it.

Clive Howlitzer

Jan 27, 2011
I can never get into the actual gameplay aspects of EVE. However, it is the only proper MMO out there. The way the game revolves around the player politics and drama.

BrotherRool

Oct 31, 2008
Angelous Wang said:
Whilst I do like to hear about these kind of EVE events, because it's great we have something out there where this can happen, it's really pointless news to non-EVE players unless someone filmed it.

Then everyone can enjoy it.
It was filmed
Fight starts about a minute and a half in [http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=xMfqbi_VMho#t=1m24s]. A video with fleet commander chatter is here [http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=G5CphHMLVeg]

And there are a couple more angles in the mittani article
http://themittani.com/news/ten-pl-supercarriers-ambushed-revenant-down

But I didn't bother linking it because fights in EVE look boring from a player PoV, they've got all these beautiful ships and graphics but most people play it way pulled back looking at dots and overlays. The rage audio seemed more interesting.

Also the actually fighting is pretty unintelligible for newcomers. I figure the interesting thing here is 1) Something immensely rare and valuable was destroyed and 2) It was destroyed by a person playing traitor (in an MMO) which isn't even possible in most other MMOs, never mind actively condoned