One of a kind EVE ship gets blown up in 700 billion isk backstab

Drops a Sweet Katana

Folded 1000x for her pleasure
May 27, 2009
While it's incredibly entertaining to hear about stuff like this in Eve, I don't think I'd ever feel compelled to play it. While it's kinda cool how frantic these fights can get, they just turn into an unintelligible clusterfuck of weapon effects and IFFs. I'd imagine I'd get quite annoyed if a ship that I spent ages trying to get just got destroyed, despite how entertaining it is to see from the outside.

Bara_no_Hime

Sep 15, 2010
Witty Name Here said:
Perhaps the most infamous incident is when someone formed a banking corporation... Then stole all the money, bought one of the most expensive ships in the game, and fled into darkspace, putting a MASSIVE BOUNTY ON HIS OWN HEAD as essentially a dare for anyone to come after him. It's one of the few games where you can probably feel like some kind of super villain.
I have never played EVE (nor will I ever) but that made me almost spit-take. That is wonderful - truly wonderful. I love him putting a bounty on his own head. Best EVE story I've ever read.

Thanks for making me smile. ^^

Laughing Man

Oct 10, 2008
Oh man this is great. I will never play EVE, but the way it handles it's world and players needs to be adapted by the genre as a whole. They're doing it right.
EVE making uber sized ship battles boring since 2003. The game really is like the real world, you read about all the wonderful stuff that happens but for most folk you'll spend 9 - 5 mining, trading and small time PvP, the big stuff happens to other folk and the concept of PAYING for the privilege of doing something that amounts to a second job... well you gotta give CCP props for making people do that.

Griffolion

Elite Member
Aug 18, 2009
Angelblaze said:
This is why I think EVE is one of the best MMO's there is. A game that is truly driven by every player there is, allowing for such unbelievable situations that they're making a TV series based on the events of passed backstabs/wars/etc that all happened between players.

shootthebandit

May 20, 2009
Laughing Man said:
Oh man this is great. I will never play EVE, but the way it handles it's world and players needs to be adapted by the genre as a whole. They're doing it right.
EVE making uber sized ship battles boring since 2003. The game really is like the real world, you read about all the wonderful stuff that happens but for most folk you'll spend 9 - 5 mining, trading and small time PvP, the big stuff happens to other folk and the concept of PAYING for the privilege of doing something that amounts to a second job... well you gotta give CCP props for making people do that.
I suppose they have made it that way deliberately. in real life you continue to work because a dead end job because you are fed the illusion of a better life. The game sounds similar to that you keep playing to get more stuff and repeat and repeat and repeat until you get more stuff so you can fight bigger stuff to get more stuff. Its the reason im not keen on MMOs i dont see the point in fighting stuff so i can level up to fight bigger stuff until i run out of levels. I like playing battlefield or something where you have full control of your player and everyone is on a level playing field (eg level 1 can easily take down a level 100)

latiasracer

Jul 7, 2011
This made me laugh, this is fantastic.

I tried to play EVE, i bought a starter back because it was on sale.

It gave me a neat ship, but on my way back from doing quest missions i ran out of ammo (yup, billions of years in the future and we still need to reload)

I was feeling badass, i broke up a fight over the docking bay, and won a PvP duel against a couple of guys. Thought i'd go all Star Trek, explore the planets and systems and stuff. Got jumped by dudes in massive destroyers, and on top of that i didn't have any ammo, and i was blown to bits.

I never played it again...

Immerse and interesting gameplay, but way, way to complicated for me :D

Captcha :

SonOfVoorhees

Aug 3, 2011
Eve is a fucking boring game, but i so love the stories from it. :) How much is 700billionisk in real money? Im thinking WOW it will be a fuck load. Pity i dont have the time to waste playing this game. I love it, i loved playing Elite2, but I have no time to waste on it.

Sonic Doctor

Time Lord / Whack-A-Newbie!
Jan 9, 2010
Sixcess said:
Fappy said:
This.

I've always wanted to try EVE but I'm way too casual/solo for the game... but even so I think it's an absolute jewel in the MMO crown, and a fantastic example of how to do a real uber-sandbox. Stories like this are a big part of why I think that.
I liked the game in a vast space flight and fighting sense, but three months of playing it told me that it was built for a normal gamer. It's for people that want to have another life that is basically in a sci-fi setting, but operates like real life, but is as ruthless or even more so.

I would at least somewhat fine with it, if the game's mechanics fit with it. You basically level by learning more skills and improving those skills. Even the most minor system or ability you have to buy a skill book for and go through the training process, and even the lowest training level takes hours, only on very small things is it any less. Beyond that the training time gets larger and larger, some even taking a full month or more to train, and for a good long while, you can only train one skill at a time. Because of this it is a very good idea to buy a clone, because if your character is killed without a proper clone, you can restart that character, but all the training you did is lost.

It is definitely not solo friendly, as it can take months just to train and get the ISK needed to get to just the third ship tier and be able to use it. I did just that, but wondered into a low security sector, I was able to handle the NPC pirates just fine. I took out quite a few and got enough salvage that it was worth more than I had ever earned in high security space in a month, in just one day. ......But then I got attacked by two real life player pirates, they made quick work of my cruiser, then held my life pod in a holding beam, and told me that I could live if I handed over 50 million ISK, I had only 2 Million because of my recent cruiser and high skill point clone purchases, so they killed me. I only had basic insurance on my ship, so I barely got 1/20th the actual price of what it took to get it.

The game rewards people for being bullies, pirates, and downright dicks. If it took only a few days to get anywhere, then I'd be fine with it. But with how slow it is skill up and gain money being nice and honest, I just can't play it. And I also forgot to mention that the economy is so overpriced and inflated it isn't even funny, the real world economy has nothing on EVE. Seriously, life in EVE is harder than real life. When you scrimp and save and work hard by yourself in real life to get something, double that time or more and for anything you want in EVE, at least that is what the world would be like if it ran like EVE.

When Yahtzee said it was a game that he most likely saw as one that businessmen played behind their desks at work, he wasn't kidding. It is a game tailor made for cut-throat business types.

skywolfblue

Jul 17, 2011
BrotherRool said:
Naturally whats probably the biggest loss to an AWOX(when a person attacks their allies) ever, generated a lot of rage, which can be enjoyed here [https://soundcloud.com/nan-6/xxxgrath-ragexxx-full-version] (NSFW). The rage proper begins about 2 minutes 30.
'Dat rage, priceless!

Most of the other people seemed pretty happy despite the money they lost, but Grath? Oh no, he mad! Listening to that makes me think Grath full well deserved the loss.

synobal

Jun 8, 2011
BrotherRool said:
..or rather one in three. The Revenant is a capital ship so rare that only 3 of them exist in the entire game. Unfitted the pilot still bought it for 290 billion isk (and in contrast the month long ongoing war between the two largest factions in EVE has only destroyed 1300 billion isk worth of ships total.)

And it was all destroyed by one traitor, along with 9 other supercarriers. The total ISK lost is around 700 billion which is the same amount as the ISK lost in the entirety of the 3000 man Battle for Asakai. [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/121756-Massive-EVE-Online-Superbattle-Blocks-The-Stars]

Pandemic Legion organise hunting parties which are small groups of supercarriers who go out and jump and destroy small groups of high value ships for fun and tears. A spy within in the group Pandemic Legion told his friends about a fantastic opportunity he'd found and they needed to follow him right now. The group, despite playing EVE, thought this sounded like a great idea and followed him. Right into an enemy fleet of 50 dreadnoughts. The results weren't pretty.

Naturally whats probably the biggest loss to an AWOX(when a person attacks their allies) ever, generated a lot of rage, which can be enjoyed here [https://soundcloud.com/nan-6/xxxgrath-ragexxx-full-version] (NSFW). The rage proper begins about 2 minutes 30.

Further reading here [http://themittani.com/news/ten-pl-supercarriers-ambushed-revenant-down] and here. [jestertrek.blogspot.de/2013/06/fit-of-week-minigame-buzzard-and-heron.html#comment-form]
So some minor corrections Revenants are rare, there are in fact only 3 known to exist, 2 now. How ever that isn't because no one has the BPC (blue print copy) required to make them. There are rumored to be about 20 of them at least in game. No one makes them because they cost a lot and are not better than your standard mothership, for the far less you could get a titan which is much better.

The guy wasn't a spy he was a traitor, traitors on a whole tend to be much more dangerous than spys, as they are completely trustworthy until they suddenly betray you. Spys always know they are going to betray you and thus they can be detected.

Doom972

Dec 25, 2008
Geo Da Sponge said:
You know, I've never actually played EVE, but I do love reading about it.

It just seems to routinely create a level of drama and deceit that would make the characters of Game of Thrones blush.
I know, right? Too bad the game itself feels like work. I was hoping to get into it by playing Dust 514, but it doesn't have a PC version.

porous_shield

Jan 25, 2012
I liked reading about the game but I don't think I would like to actually play it. Just about every big story I hear coming from EVE is great and makes me reconsider every time I hear one but I don't think I could put the hours in to make the game worthwhile.

Sunrider

Add a beat to normality
Nov 16, 2009
Angelblaze said:
But the amount of backstabbing and slicing and arguing that can take place in a day. I love how he can laugh it off happily, cause I really can't take this guy all serious.
I'd like to point out that the guy laughing it off is not the guy who lost the Revenant. He's one of their leaders. I don't know if you meant to imply that he was, I just thought I'd clear it up.

OT: This was huge. Our fleet was sitting just a few jumps out, looking for an opportunity to jump into a big fight, completely oblivious to what was happening. When someone linked the kill-mail, everyone lost their shit.

LetalisK

May 5, 2010
Sunrider84 said:
Angelblaze said:
But the amount of backstabbing and slicing and arguing that can take place in a day. I love how he can laugh it off happily, cause I really can't take this guy all serious.
I'd like to point out that the guy laughing it off is not the guy who lost the Revenant. He's one of their leaders. I don't know if you meant to imply that he was, I just thought I'd clear it up.
Eh, I think the guy who lost the Revenant was laughing it off. The guy that was raging was pissed at the guy who lost the Revenant because he wasn't taking this seriously enough and calling him stupid. He was even talking shit about his Revenant. "Yeah, let's go hot rodding..." etc.

piinyouri

Mar 18, 2012
I get far far more entertainment out of EVE from hearing about it than I ever could playing it.

Did this guy really not think anywhere in his mind "This seems fishy..."?

WanderingFool

Apr 9, 2009
BrotherRool said:
..or rather one in three. The Revenant is a capital ship so rare that only 3 of them exist in the entire game. Unfitted the pilot still bought it for 290 billion isk (and in contrast the month long ongoing war between the two largest factions in EVE has only destroyed 1300 billion isk worth of ships total.)

And it was all destroyed by one traitor, along with 9 other supercarriers. The total ISK lost is around 700 billion which is the same amount as the ISK lost in the entirety of the 3000 man Battle for Asakai. [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/121756-Massive-EVE-Online-Superbattle-Blocks-The-Stars]

Pandemic Legion organise hunting parties which are small groups of supercarriers who go out and jump and destroy small groups of high value ships for fun and tears. A spy within in the group Pandemic Legion told his friends about a fantastic opportunity he'd found and they needed to follow him right now. The group, despite playing EVE, thought this sounded like a great idea and followed him. Right into an enemy fleet of 50 dreadnoughts. The results weren't pretty.

Further reading here [http://themittani.com/news/ten-pl-supercarriers-ambushed-revenant-down] and here. [jestertrek.blogspot.de/2013/06/fit-of-week-minigame-buzzard-and-heron.html#comment-form]
Dispite being a spreadsheet sim, EVE still does amuze...

rob_simple

Elite Member
Aug 8, 2010
Listening to this Soundcloud thing is an utter delight. I love the one guy who is consistently outraged in spite of everyone else going 'I think it's kind of funny, we only lost a few ships/money'.

"You are literally the aids that is rotting the alliance from the inside out. I really hope you all die."

"You were set up? This isn't the fucking mob, they weren't coming to get you, you fucking idiot. You weren't set up, you were fucking stupid."

The guy is so sincerely pissed off it's almost as if he thinks there is an actual war going on.

Sunrider

Add a beat to normality
Nov 16, 2009
LetalisK said:
Sunrider84 said:
Angelblaze said:
Eh, I think the guy who lost the Revenant was laughing it off. The guy that was raging was pissed at the guy who lost the Revenant because he wasn't taking this seriously enough and calling him stupid. He was even talking shit about his Revenant. "Yeah, let's go hot rodding..." etc.
That's not what I'm saying. I'm saying the guy heard laughing in the recording isn't the guy who lost the Revenant. The guy saying "Meh, no mad. Let's go play Chivalry or something" is not the Revenant pilot.

Hawk eye1466

May 31, 2010
I've never played EVE but every time I read something like this I really wish I did, it's just so fun to read about huge battles that happen by accident or epic betrayals that lead to catastrophic losses, it's fantastic.