One of a kind EVE ship gets blown up in 700 billion isk backstab

BrotherRool

Oct 31, 2008
rob_simple said:
If anyone is dumb enough to pump £25,000 into an online video game (or work the equivalent amount of game hours to earn that, I still don't understand how it works,) then I am absolutely going to laugh at them when it all goes pear-shaped.

It is a terrifying amount of money, mind you.
It's pretty much 100% certain that no-one has paid that money in. The way it works is you get normal money from killing NPCs, mining etc. But you could theoretically use that money to buy PLEX and 700 billion ingame money would get you an amount of PLEX it would take $9,000 dollars real money to buy (but all PLEX does is give you X days free subscription, so unless you're going to be playing for a looong time there's never a situation where you could use that much PLEX)

rob_simple

Elite Member
Aug 8, 2010
BrotherRool said:
rob_simple said:
If anyone is dumb enough to pump £25,000 into an online video game (or work the equivalent amount of game hours to earn that, I still don't understand how it works,) then I am absolutely going to laugh at them when it all goes pear-shaped.

It is a terrifying amount of money, mind you.
It's pretty much 100% certain that no-one has paid that money in. The way it works is you get normal money from killing NPCs, mining etc. But you could theoretically use that money to buy PLEX and 700 billion ingame money would get you an amount of PLEX it would take $9,000 dollars real money to buy (but all PLEX does is give you X days free subscription, so unless you're going to be playing for a looong time there's never a situation where you could use that much PLEX)
Okay, that makes things a little clearer, so does that mean that this $25,000 ship did not, in fact, cost anyone any real money, (aside from their subscription fee)?

BrotherRool

Oct 31, 2008
rob_simple said:
Okay, that makes things a little clearer, so does that mean that this $25,000 ship did not, in fact, cost anyone any real money, (aside from their subscription fee)?
Hopefully so and even if almost certainly not 100%. On the other hand, if it were easy to make that sort of money in game absolutely no-one would ever have to pay subscription in EVE. If you could easily make 100th of that money you'd never have to pay to play the game again. Whenever you here stories quoting money in EVE it's almost never money that someone has actually spent and more the news article trying to give some sort of idea about how rare it is to have that level of game money

(Unless actual PLEX was destroyed. And that does happen this guy [http://www.reddit.com/r/Eve/comments/10oz32/loki_hauling_90_plex_through_lowsec_ends_as/] was hauling 90 PLEX in one go through a dangerous bit of space in a crud ship and lost it all. 90 PLEX costs you ?1350ish :( )

Soopy

Jul 15, 2011
BrotherRool said:
rob_simple said:
Hopefully so and even if almost certainly not 100%. On the other hand, if it were easy to make that sort of money in game absolutely no-one would ever have to pay subscription in EVE. If you could easily make 100th of that money you'd never have to pay to play the game again. Whenever you here stories quoting money in EVE it's almost never money that someone has actually spent and more the news article trying to give some sort of idea about how rare it is to have that level of game money

(Unless actual PLEX was destroyed. And that does happen this guy [http://www.reddit.com/r/Eve/comments/10oz32/loki_hauling_90_plex_through_lowsec_ends_as/] was hauling 90 PLEX in one go through a dangerous bit of space in a crud ship and lost it all. 90 PLEX costs you ?1350ish :( )
Holy fuck, I would go into a rage induced coma. No joke.

Kiardras

Feb 16, 2011
chinangel said:
i don't get how people can laugh at someone who just lost something major. Yes it's 'just a game' but it's a game that he just lost a wopping huge amount of money at. so yeah his rage is understandable.
The guy who lost it, and probably bought it himself originally, wasn't even too worried. The main guy pissed is Grath, because it hurts PL's image, and tanks their killboard stats for the next year or so.

Strazdas

Robots will replace your job
May 28, 2011
well the guy was stupid to attempt to move 700 billion worth of ship. though its sad that there are only 2 left. id rather see 700 billion of T1 battleships lost, that shoudl fuel the economy nicely.
but yeah thsi is why i love this game, players can do so much when they do it good enough.

Angelblaze said:
Oh god...I swear I love this game. I suck at Eve and I can't sustain a great amount of money - the mount I ever had was 40 million
i can get 40 million at a end of a good evening of mining, and minign is one of the least paying (least risky too) professions. i earn few hundred millions every day, while not being online, but being at work, with sell and buy orders. its not that hard.

shootthebandit said:
I dont really know much about eve online (i understand the basic etc) so im kind of oblivious to the significance of this.

Do people spend real world money on these ships? Im assuming like a lot of these second life MMOs theres some sort of exchange rate between real currency and fictional currency on the black market of the internet. If so is it possible for me to make a profit out of it
they can. not necessarely have to. you can buy plex (30 days subscriptino) sell it ingame for ISK (ingame currency) legally. 10 euros worth plex costs around 520m now. lets round it to 500, meaning this ship was worth 14.000 euros. Thats one way
Another way is to actually play the game, earn the isk, whether by mission rewards or from other people (trading ect) and buy the stuff from that. i buy plexes for isk i earn ingame. i havent payed any rela life money, instead, i pay ingame money, and those who are unable/too stupid/dont have time to/dont want to earn money ingame pay for my gametime and i pay them ingame money in return. (the system is legal and supported by developers CCP). so eatch month for over 3 years i payed 500m (it was cheaper before really, so cant claim that), and i still got over 14 billions in my wallet, and im not evne trying lately as i dont have much time for it.

sicne there is a legal market, the black market is pretty much dead system and is beign fished out by developers a lot (as in you get banned, moeny taken away, and money that you trasnfered take n away and any related alt characters banned, they dig very deep to follow money). there is no realiable way to make ingame currency into real world money, only the other way around. if there were, i would probably get my second pay from this game.

Angelous Wang said:
Whilst I do like to hear about these kind of EVE events, because it's great we have something out there where this can happen, it's really pointless news to non-EVE players unless someone filmed it.

Then everyone can enjoy it.
filming it wont work. i play eve and i find eve video boring. the pvp in eve especially the way it happens (all effects off since every milisecond of reaction time counts) is not very attractive for 3rd party. the events themself however is awesome.

SonOfVoorhees said:
Eve is a fucking boring game, but i so love the stories from it. :) How much is 700billionisk in real money? Im thinking WOW it will be a fuck load. Pity i dont have the time to waste playing this game. I love it, i loved playing Elite2, but I have no time to waste on it.
around 14.000 euros in current plex prices (current = i bought one 3 days ago)

Legion said:
Reading things like this make me really wish I was into the game, sadly I found the game far too boring to begin with, and I heard that it's not too friendly for new people.

EDIT: Seems a lot of other people on here are in the same boat.
to be honest, people who find it boring before even trying probably wouldnt fit in to begin with.

BrotherRool said:
1. closer to 25.000 than 9.000
2. there is a reason. you coudl speculate. i remmeber when plex prices jumped from 400m to 550m in a matter of around 1.5 months i cried a little inside i only bought 3 months in advance.

Syzygy23

Sep 20, 2010
shootthebandit said:
Laughing Man said:
Oh man this is great. I will never play EVE, but the way it handles it's world and players needs to be adapted by the genre as a whole. They're doing it right.
EVE making uber sized ship battles boring since 2003. The game really is like the real world, you read about all the wonderful stuff that happens but for most folk you'll spend 9 - 5 mining, trading and small time PvP, the big stuff happens to other folk and the concept of PAYING for the privilege of doing something that amounts to a second job... well you gotta give CCP props for making people do that.
I suppose they have made it that way deliberately. in real life you continue to work because a dead end job because you are fed the illusion of a better life. The game sounds similar to that you keep playing to get more stuff and repeat and repeat and repeat until you get more stuff so you can fight bigger stuff to get more stuff. Its the reason im not keen on MMOs i dont see the point in fighting stuff so i can level up to fight bigger stuff until i run out of levels. I like playing battlefield or something where you have full control of your player and everyone is on a level playing field (eg level 1 can easily take down a level 100)
Illusion of a better life? Ain't no illusion my friend. It's called "the stock market" and/or "Doing what you love".

I remember reading a story about how the Something Awful forumites formed an EVE corp called GOON SQUAD and managed to royally fuck the top three biggest corps at the time using nothing but troll tactics. That sounded glorius on paper and was actually really boring and stupid when watching the videos.

It's a lot like Dwarf Fortress in that regard. It makes for some awesome stories but in actuality play out kinda tedious.

BrotherRool

Oct 31, 2008
Strazdas said:
BrotherRool said:
2. there is a reason. you coudl speculate. i remmeber when plex prices jumped from 400m to 550m in a matter of around 1.5 months i cried a little inside i only bought 3 months in advance.
2. What I mean is no-one can ever actually use that much PLEX which puts a lower real value limit, but doesn't restrict it's ISK value. To anyone person in real money the PLEX can only be worth as much as they'd expend on subscriptions and that's limited by the amount of time someone will realistically want to be subscribed. So (because you can't sell PLEX to other people for real world money legally) a stack of 900 PLEXs actually has the same real world value of say 48 PLEXs, 96 is your super dedicated. (unless they bring microtransactions back in a big way). This is why the ISK to dollars conversion isn't completely legitimate
1. My mistake it comes because the actual Revenant was only 290 billion plus (which some websites are estimating at $9,000) the 700 billion figure is the total cost of the kill which includes 9 other supercarriers. I'd been reading a slightly overpassionate and slightly missing the point attack on websites using the $9000 figure by Poetic Stanziel [http://poeticstanziel.blogspot.ca/] and it got stuck in my head.

MammothBlade

It's not that I LIKE you b-baka!
Oct 12, 2011
Hahaha this is glorious. And one thing that makes me want to get back into EVE, but then it's such a timesink and I quit when my corporation decided to relocate into lowsec since I didn't want to deal with this all the time ever since I lost a battlecruiser through one bad jump.

Strazdas

Robots will replace your job
May 28, 2011
BrotherRool said:
Strazdas said:
BrotherRool said:
2. What I mean is no-one can ever actually use that much PLEX which puts a lower real value limit, but doesn't restrict it's ISK value. To anyone person in real money the PLEX can only be worth as much as they'd expend on subscriptions and that's limited by the amount of time someone will realistically want to be subscribed. So (because you can't sell PLEX to other people for real world money legally) a stack of 900 PLEXs actually has the same real world value of say 48 PLEXs, 96 is your super dedicated. (unless they bring microtransactions back in a big way). This is why the ISK to dollars conversion isn't completely legitimate
1. My mistake it comes because the actual Revenant was only 290 billion plus (which some websites are estimating at $9,000) the 700 billion figure is the total cost of the kill which includes 9 other supercarriers. I'd been reading a slightly overpassionate and slightly missing the point attack on websites using the $9000 figure by Poetic Stanziel [http://poeticstanziel.blogspot.ca/] and it got stuck in my head.
2. fair point. indeed the conversion is not really a legitimate "you lost this amount of dollars" thing, but it helps set the scale for those who do not know how much ISK is worth what.
1. All is fair, the link i followed from this article had both values in it. but since the title of this says 700 billion, thats the number most people will be looking at.

RJ 17

The Sound of Silence
Nov 27, 2011
Never played EVE, but after seeing that video a few months ago about that massive, epic space battle that involved over 3K ships, I considered picking it up (just really don't have the money to spare right now, maybe once I manage to find another job). But hearing a story like this just gives me the giggles. I really can't help but imagine this is how things went for the Pandemic Legion:

BrotherRool

Oct 31, 2008
Strazdas said:
2. fair point. indeed the conversion is not really a legitimate "you lost this amount of dollars" thing, but it helps set the scale for those who do not know how much ISK is worth what.
Oh I totally agree, I don't think the guy whose blogpost I linked to was making a valid point at all. It gives a rough idea of the sort of worth we're talking about and on some level the ISK/dollar conversion reflects a truth. If people were to only talk about 700 billion ISK this wouldn't have been picked up by a single news source outside the EVE world because what is 700 billion ISK? That could be the reward for a starter level NPC kill for all people know. The $ value gives it some weight

IamLEAM1983

Neloth's got swag.
Aug 22, 2011
Add me to the pile of folks who've never played EVE, who probably never will, and who enjoy reading about it. I'd play it, if only it wasn't such a huge fucking investment.

Ishal

Oct 30, 2012
skywolfblue said:
BrotherRool said:
Naturally whats probably the biggest loss to an AWOX(when a person attacks their allies) ever, generated a lot of rage, which can be enjoyed here [https://soundcloud.com/nan-6/xxxgrath-ragexxx-full-version] (NSFW). The rage proper begins about 2 minutes 30.
'Dat rage, priceless!

Most of the other people seemed pretty happy despite the money they lost, but Grath? Oh no, he mad! Listening to that makes me think Grath full well deserved the loss.
The funniest part is that Grath is so in rage mode, so angry that it would seem his brain can't even process that they were in fact set up. No, no no no... it was just people being stupid. It was coping, accepting the reality as it was when this went down likely would have caused a mental breakdown and panic attack. :p

Windcaler

Nov 7, 2010
I didnt play Eve for very long but even I learned the first rule of EVE. If you cant afford to have it blown up, dont fly it. You really should expect that that backstabbing, opportunistic community to have your number at any second of any day. Especially if you have a bounty on your head

klaynexas3

My shoes hurt
Dec 30, 2009
If only the learning curve wasn't so high and they gave new players a bit more of a chance, I would totally join this game and forsake all previous MMO alliances, just because you CAN do something this utterly dick like. I would love to be apart of these grand companies that rule over the galaxy with an iron fist, starting wars and participating in PvP battles with actual risk besides leaderboards. Or maybe be a pirate, roaming the galaxy, killing whom I please, like the people in the story. God, I wish I could get into this game, or that they would make an MMO like it in a fantasy setting or something. Hell, a place with a little more lore(and fantastical ideas to that lore mind you, not all Sci-fi) even with Eve's play style would be tolerable. If I'm completely wrong, and it actually is rather easy to join the game and get started and even become these influential people in the game, please tell me, I'd love it if that were true, and I would rather have another confirm that than me having to pay so much to find out one way or the other.

Wickatricka

Aug 26, 2011
Huh eve online has always fascinated me but seems like too much time needs to be invested before you actually get anywhere which kind turns me off from it.

kingthrall

May 31, 2011
This post reminds me of the song the bismark about one of the most deadliest German ships during ww2. I suggest you watch this after the rage voice cast video cause it makes it even more funnier I.M.O.