One Piece Is Less than 80% Finished

Steven Bogos

The Taco Man
Jan 17, 2013
One Piece Is Less than 80% Finished

Crazy popular and crazy-long anime and manga series One Piece won't be ending any time soon.

Perhaps you've heard of Eiichiro Oda One Piece? It started back in 1997 and is still running strong today - easily one of the most popular anime and manga series in Japan, if not the world. But wow, 1997! That's a really long time. It must be pretty close to finishing right? Wrong. The manga's editor, Suguru Sugita, doesn't know for sure, but he estimates that we're only about 70% through.

Sugita recently told Japanese radio show Gold Rush [http://www.j-wave.co.jp/original/goldrush/] that when he asked Oda how far along the story was, "He told me that the first part of the story, the part prior to the time-skip, was around halfway through. That was about 60 volumes, so maybe we're at 70%? I don't think it's at 80% yet. Something like that."

Oda works on his manga at a breakneck pace, spitting out a full chapter week after week. He reportedly only sleeps two or three hours a day, and has only revealed the ending of the manga to a select few, including Sugita. "He asked me whether there was anyone around," said Sugita, telling Gold Rush how he found out. "I told him no, and he said, 'Alright, I don't have anyone around me either, so let's talk,' and then he told me."

As for his prospects post-One Piece, Sugita says that the 40-year-old Oda "hasn't decided, but he said he probably wouldn't be able to write [another long-form manga]. He's already been going on for eighteen years, so just how old will he be by the time it's all over? I think it's more of a question as to whether he'd be able to write another long serialization after that, realistically speaking."

Source: One Piece Podcast [http://www.j-wave.co.jp/original/goldrush/]

Lil_Rimmy

Mar 19, 2011
Two of my mates actually watch all of this show, all 800 or 900 or whatever episodes.

That was before I had to visit them in the padded cells.

OT: This bloody show started before I was born. Bloody hell.

webkilla

Feb 2, 2011
Wow...

that's been going on for a while.

Got a buddy who watches the anime religiously - not if she reads the manga. Still, that is impressive

Godzillarich(aka tf2godz)

Get the point
Legacy
Aug 1, 2011
Cretaceous
Country
USA
Lil_Rimmy said:
Two of my mates actually watch all of this show, all 800 or 900 or whatever episodes.

from experience of marathon it you kind of forget the last time you ate or how much the sun had raised and set or when those cobwebs got there.

OT: I love One piece but the current arc(I think they may have finished it I haven't checked) is really stretching itself out. I hope it can kind of get back on track when it's over

ps. also if you're going to Marathon the series I would suggest actually watching the English dub(or at least what they have so far) because marathoning a sub anime like that would hurt your brain.

DeadProxy

Sep 15, 2010
This series can go on forever for all I care. Love the series to bits. Been up to date on this series for most of the last 10 years, maybe more cause I cant remember if I started watching in highschool or earlier.

Full of action, heavy feels, and laughs. And to see news that it's gonna be at least a few more years before the end is in sight is awesome news.

At least he has an ending in mind though, would hate for the ending of this series to be similar to bleach where everything just gets dragged out for no good reason.

RJ 17

The Sound of Silence
Nov 27, 2011
Gotta say that's pretty damn impressive. Unfortunate, considering it's an utter crap series that's maybe one step above Naruto, but still impressive to be chugging along for 18 years.

syl3r

Oct 21, 2014
i really love one piece. read every chapter and watched all episodes (i watch about once a month every ep since the last time i watched, so not weekly).
and what i like about one piece the most is its structure. its a manga that from the very beginning had and end point, you knew what the protagonist would strive to do. much clearer then becoming hokage in my eyes. and every bit and piece that got inserted expanded the story in a natural way and didnt force new plot points into the world. it feels that oda knew the whole story from the getgo and is just writing it out without hindrance. that clarity is what keeps me so hocked on the manga. and ill be happy and sad when the final chapter hits..... in a few years......
i just hope shonenjump lets him really straight up finish it and wont make him prolong it like it went with naruto. it would be a shame if he had to continue writhing after finishing his masterpiece.

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
It kinda sadden me since it making me think the journey is almost over.

So there is only 20% left? That feel kinda small and maybe rush to the stuff not yet explained but yet again they probably still got plenty of time (20% will still be hundreds of anime episodes!) left to resolved it all (the void century, Dr Vegapunk, the Will of D and what One Piece is really is).

P-89 Scorpion

Sep 25, 2014
Meh One Piece has barely started, now American comics like Superman and Batman (both have had 75th anniversary's) that's long running.

Lil_Rimmy

Mar 19, 2011
tf2godz said:
Lil_Rimmy said:

from experience of marathon it you kind of forget the last time you ate or how much the sun had raised and set or when those cobwebs got there.

OT: I love One piece but the current arc(I think they may have finished it I haven't checked) is really stretching itself out. I hope it can kind of get back on track when it's over

ps. also if you're going to Marathon the series I would suggest actually watching the English dub(or at least what they have so far) because marathoning a sub anime like that would hurt your brain.
Dub?

Dub?

HAHAHAHAHAHAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHAHAHHAHAHHAHAHHAHAHAHHAHAHHAHHAHAHAHHHHHHHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAAAAAAAAHAHAHAHHAHa
hahahaha
ha

My mates watch the subbed the whole way through just so they can be more caught up than those who watch the dubbed. I don't even know how you do that. I love to watch shows while doing something else, but with subs you have to be watching the screen the whole time and it can distract from scenes. But no. They watched the whole thing in subbed.

I think the Australia wildlife actually just broke them one day. Suddenly they never wanted to do anything but listen to Japanese while staring a letters on a screen.

They might actually be sleeper agents, on second thought.

SirDeadly

Feb 22, 2009
I just started watching again from the start because I forgot what episode I was up to in the Dressrosa Arc. Plus I probably missed a whole bunch watching the subbed version so this time I'm watching the dub. Skipping the filler though.

soren7550

Overly Proud New Yorker
Dec 18, 2008
P-89 Scorpion said:
Meh One Piece has barely started, now American comics like Superman and Batman (both have had 75th anniversary's) that's long running.
Considering that One Piece is done by a very small team of people, whereas the like of Superman and Batman are done by an ever changing large group of people by mandate of a huge corporation, it's not entirely comparable, nor does it diminish their feat.

Auberon

Aug 29, 2012
Hey, Arakis' been writing JoJo since '87 so it's plausible that Oda can keep going. Admittedly, last 10 of those or so have been in monthly format.

gigastar

Insert one-liner here.
Sep 13, 2010
So 70-80% of the way there... thats 4 more years at the most. Probably more, knowing how Oda likes to add things.

Auberon said:
Hey, Arakis' been writing JoJo since '87 so it's plausible that Oda can keep going. Admittedly, last 10 of those or so have been in monthly format.
Jojo has been a monthly serial for some 8 years now.

And One Peice still hasnt overtaken it in total number of chapters. Bit of useless trivia for you.

Blazing Hero

Feb 20, 2015
Bull Oda has been saying that he has just reached the "Half Way Point" for over a decade. I love OP but there is no way it is 80% complete. Considering each island recently has taken about 2 years to get through and we still have Zoa, Elbaf, raftel and god knows how many others to visit I can only imagine that the series will take at least another two decades to wrap up.

Cowabungaa

Feb 10, 2008
Exactly the reason why I'll never bother with something like One Piece. Not that I think its length is necessarily bad, I just simply don't have the time to spend on one series to deal with all that backlog.
P-89 Scorpion said:
I don't think those can be compared, seeing as Superman and Batman are just characters that have seen multiple reboots. One Piece is one big continuous thing.

OldNewNewOld

Mar 2, 2011
Now if only he went for quality instead of quantity, maybe it would be a watchable anime.
Also I call bullshit. It will go on as long as it makes money, there won't be any real ending. Same like Naruto ended, wait no, it didn't. It's still going on despite ending.

Elfgore

Your friendly local nihilist
Legacy
Dec 6, 2010
Hey, one of those moments when I can proudly say I've watched all 701 episodes! Here's to another couple hundred before we reach the end!

A-D.

Jan 23, 2008
Yeah i rather doubt we're 70-80% through. There is just too much stuff left that Oda has to explain and the Arcs have become longer, rather than shorter, with a whole lot of faffing about, Dressrosa and Fishman Island being prime examples of "Arcs that have just gone too long", previously only the Alabasta Arc had a similar running-time all things considered. There's still Raftel, the Revolutionairies, Kaidou and Big Mom, eventually Blackbeard as well, whatever the third and hopefully final "big bad superweapon" is considering only two have been revealed, some more insight into the Void Century, a couple Shichibukai most likely, a return of former enemies that were hinted at such as Crocodile. So we're still looking at another 5-10 years here in total, depending on how drawn out stuff gets and what else Oda plans on covering. Oda has yet to explain what the whole D thing is about as well.

Silk_Sk

Mar 25, 2009
Probably the most amazing thing about One Piece is how un-padded it is (the polar opposite of Bleach). The story is constantly barreling forward at deadly speed and has been doing so for 18 years. That it can maintain that pace for so long with so much energy and passion is miraculous. The man is hero.