One word I never want to hear from anyone in the gaming community again.

itsmeyouidiot

Dec 22, 2008
"Rehash."

99% of the time it's used, it's by a person who is deliberately looking for flaws in a game.

I tend to instantly lose any and all respect for people who use this word, because they're always using it in a way that makes it clear that they're trying to find flaws in a game where none exist.

Who here feels the same way?

The_Blue_Rider

Sep 4, 2009
Im sick of the word immersion to be honest, yes I know its important but a lot of people throw it around too much, even in things that dont need immersion to be entertaining

EDIT:
Matthew94 said:
The word hardcore.

For me it used to mean people who were experts at games like Quake 3, CSS or Street Fighter.

Now it means "hey I play games that aren't farmville"
This too, but then again I hate the whole Hardcore/casual thing anyway, at the end of the day, we're all gamers

AD-Stu

Oct 13, 2011
I think you might be having a bit of a chicken and egg problem here.

I agree that "rehash" is generally used as a criticism - and for the most part I think it's valid to criticise a game if it really is just rehashing a previous one.

But I disagree that its use means the person was deliberately looking for flaws (ignoring the fact that looking for flaws is actually a critic's job). All it means is that they found a flaw, whether they were deliberately looking for it or otherwise.

Professor James

Elite Member
Aug 5, 2010
"Hardscoping"

Now, I have no problem when people use this in a quickscoping match or whatever; but believe it are not, I have been insulted for looking through my scope for more then 1 second in a public game. Little kids call me "noob"(another word that I wish got a lot less use) because I actually snipe like you're supposed to and not quickscope all the time.

Zantos

Jan 5, 2011
I hate people using linear as an insult to a game. Saying that a game is bad because it's linear is like saying Pulp Fiction is bad because it's not an animated family comedy.

Fieldy409_v1legacy

Oct 9, 2008
Matthew94 said:
The word hardcore.

For me it used to mean people who were experts at games like Quake 3, CSS or Street Fighter.

Now it means "hey I play games that aren't farmville"
Im more sick of the other side of that, the word casual. People talk about casuals in games like wow like its a bad thing that you havent given up your social life to be on the cutting edge of the newest raids.

BathorysGraveland

Dec 7, 2011
"Noob/Nub".

Seriously, the lamest fucking 'insult' ever imaginable. Hypocritical as well, seeing as we were all new to each game at one point.

Vault101

I'm in your mind fuzz
Sep 26, 2010
"brown" in a sentece decribing how much you cant stand brown

look, saying this isnt some fucking amazing insight..EVERYONE knows and your taste isnt any better because you keep going on about it

ohh and there are plenty of games that arnt overly brown

krazykidd

Mar 22, 2008
Unoriginal .

Sick and tired of people complaining that developpers are not doing anything new , but when they do no one buys ot or the look down on ot . Bunch of hypocrites i say.

Fleetfiend

Jun 1, 2011
BathorysGraveland said:
"Noob/Nub".

Seriously, the lamest fucking 'insult' ever imaginable. Hypocritical as well, seeing as we were all new to each game at one point.
Thank you. I hate when people call other players "noobs" like it was an insult. Honestly, why would you want to discourage someone new from starting the game? That's just stupid. Particularly in MMOs.

Weentastic

Dec 9, 2011
Definitely sick of the word entitled. People have started throwing it around anytime someone wants more out of a game than they got. I'm not entitled because I think my 60 dollars should go as far if not farther than it used too in the video game industry. The chick in an escapist podcast even used it. Rather than actually critically analyze a viewpoint contrary to her own, she labels those against her. LAME!

Owyn_Merrilin

May 22, 2010
Weentastic said:
Definitely sick of the word entitled. People have started throwing it around anytime someone wants more out of a game than they got. I'm not entitled because I think my 60 dollars should go as far if not farther than it used too in the video game industry. The chick in an escapist podcast even used it. Rather than actually critically analyze a viewpoint contrary to her own, she labels those against her. LAME!
This. Especially because the word "entitlement" describes a legal right to something, and in the recent debates about used games, which is where it's being thrown around the most currently, the consumers actually are legally entitled to sell their games without interference from the publishers. The people who use it as an insult are actually looking for the phrase "false sense of entitlement," not just "entitlement."

Owyn_Merrilin

May 22, 2010
Halo Fanboy said:
Indie. It's a marketing gimmick and buzzword more or less.
It is in the music world, but independent videogames are still actually independent. Give it ten years or so though, and you'll be right.

Edit: Sorry about the double post, but people don't get notifications if I quote them in an edit. I wish that had been higher on the priority list than a visual facelift...

ResonanceSD

Guild Warrior
Legacy
Dec 14, 2009
Country
Australia
itsmeyouidiot said:
"Rehash."

99% of the time it's used, it's by a person who is deliberately looking for flaws in a game.

I tend to instantly lose any and all respect for people who use this word, because they're always using it in a way that makes it clear that they're trying to find flaws in a game where none exist.

Who here feels the same way?

"Arrow".

Seriously, I'm about to go postal.

synulia

Mar 1, 2011
Vault101 said:
"brown" in a sentece decribing how much you cant stand brown

look, saying this isnt some fucking amazing insight..EVERYONE knows and your taste isnt any better because you keep going on about it

ohh and there are plenty of games that arnt overly brown
And brown. GTA IV was not brown. Quit complaining about "brown shooters". Heck even MW3 has tons of color. BF3 has so much color it actually blinds you. Fallout 3 was the only game to truly deserve being called "brown".