One word I never want to hear from anyone in the gaming community again.

zehydra

Oct 25, 2009
BrionJames said:
You know what word I'm sick of, gamer. That word didn't use to exist to describe anything. Period. It's a stupid label that the media has created so that they can try to appeal to the folks who play video games. I like video games, I like going to the arcade, I like table top games, but I am not a gamer.
Well, yes you are, you're a "gamer", because "gamers" are anyone who plays games of any kind.

But yes, I am terribly sick of this word as well, mainly because it's almost always used to make some kind of sweeping generalization about people that play games.

Damien Granz

Apr 8, 2011
itsmeyouidiot said:
"Rehash."

99% of the time it's used, it's by a person who is deliberately looking for flaws in a game.

I tend to instantly lose any and all respect for people who use this word, because they're always using it in a way that makes it clear that they're trying to find flaws in a game where none exist.

Who here feels the same way?
It might be used here and there wrong but it often is used as a valid complaint as the video game industry and Hollywood both have been having a 10 year long love affair with re-releasing the same thing over and over and trying to milk the nostalgia cow too much lately, so it is becoming a crutch.

G-Force

Jan 12, 2010
Gearhead mk2 said:
"Scrub". Why should I be ridiculed for not using the same cheap-ass tactics as everyone else?
Because the whole notion of honor in games is arbitrary. "Cheap tactics" are strategies that players encounter that instead of trying to better themselves and adapt to defeat them just label them as cheap and walk away. Usually 10/10 these so called "cheap tactics" and unbeatable strategies are instantly countered and destroyed in high level play. Go watch footage from tournaments and you'll quickly see how under powered these tactics are.

Gearhead mk2

Aug 1, 2011
G-Force said:
Gearhead mk2 said:
"Scrub". Why should I be ridiculed for not using the same cheap-ass tactics as everyone else?
Because the whole notion of honor in games is arbitrary. "Cheap tactics" are strategies that players encounter that instead of trying to better themselves and adapt to defeat them just label them as cheap and walk away. Usually 10/10 these so called "cheap tactics" and unbeatable strategies are instantly countered and destroyed in high level play. Go watch footage from tournaments and you'll quickly see how under powered these tactics are.
I understand that there are legitimate tactics. If I get sniped in the head from halfway across the map, then i'm still a bit peeved, but its not so bad because getting a shot from that distance takes skill and good aim, so I know its not a noob on the other end of the gun. But take something like, say, Marvel vs Capcom 3. I have seen HUNDREDS of people using the same characters, with the same nigh-unblockable combos, to the point where I honestly think that a lot of the players I meet online are bots. And when I finally do beat them, without fail they freeze up for 6 seconds, then quite and send me a message about how i'm a skilless scrub because I didnt use Wesker like everyone and their frikin mothers. THAT is what i meant in my OP.

veloper

Jan 20, 2009
theultimateend said:
AD-Stu said:
I think you might be having a bit of a chicken and egg problem here.
We really need a better line. This isn't a paradox anymore...hasn't been for decades if not longer.

OT: I hate the term hardcore, back in the day I called friends who could do crazy ass things in games hardcore. Now if you play an FPS you are "hardcore".

I basically just don't have any labels anymore. Now if Greg plays a bunch of shit and has this whole life around him, I call him Greg, not a gamer, just Greg.

I don't know any Gregs :(.
Hardcore still means this.
If someone who merely just plays some popular FPS calls himself hardcore, just laugh at him when he gets his ass handed to him by an average player.

The word these people are looking for is "core gamer" without the hard part, which is a legitimate term used in the industry and press to indicate the type of audience they can sell their expensive (core)games to.
While there is some overlap, generally you cannot sell games like dance central and wii party to members of this particular audience. The core label as such is very useful. All labels are when used appropriately.

Jdb

May 26, 2010
I'd rather change the community's reading comprehension. I can't talk to most replies because they mention things I don't say. For example, some people read this:

"While Other M is a horrible game, I like what it tries to do. After twenty years of dropping on planets and saying 'Go!' I think the series is far enough to explore more than the next planet Samus blows up."

As this

"Other M is a fantastic game! I just love the linearity. All future Metroid games should be linear. All of them!"

A Marcotte

Dec 31, 2011
Noob/newb/nub (Not only because most of the folks that use the word are half my age, and their parents bought them the game they're currently spewing that drek into) is an especially annoying term. We were all new, sure.

But seriously, the one word I hear far, far, far, far too much in any online game, that really gets my sphincter bunched up is the R word. I don't know the full intimacies of the policies on the Escapist forums, and won't risk typing the whole word as a result (I try to keep it PG), but casually discussing and joking about rampant sexual violation of an individual, group, or dead relative is just not goddamn cool, ever.

This is a word that does not even belong in casual conversation. You did not sexually violate a person by back-attacking them with a power axe. You do not need to proclaim this to everyone who can hear you breathe into the microphone. It is a word that pertains to an awful, traumatic, shaming, and degrading situation that nobody ever deserves to go through.