One word I never want to hear from anyone in the gaming community again.

GonzoGamer

Apr 9, 2008
Weentastic said:
Definitely sick of the word entitled. People have started throwing it around anytime someone wants more out of a game than they got. I'm not entitled because I think my 60 dollars should go as far if not farther than it used too in the video game industry. The chick in an escapist podcast even used it. Rather than actually critically analyze a viewpoint contrary to her own, she labels those against her. LAME!
Susan explained in the forums for that podcast that she was referring to people who expect a huge open world game to have NO glitches. I would've used unrealistic rather than entitled but she at least used it a little more accurately than most gamers.

The overuse of that term has really been annoying me too and it's partly because it's usually used incorrectly. Mostly it bothers me because it sometimes seems like most gamers think that $60 doesn't necessarily "entitle" you to a game that works and/or has enough content to last a weekend.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
itsmeyouidiot said:
I tend to instantly lose any and all respect for people who use this word, because they're always using it in a way that makes it clear that they're trying to find flaws in a game where none exist.
I would call that sort of extreme reaction a far bigger problem than the word "rehash" being used.

LilithSlave

Sep 1, 2011
Naeo said:
"Realism". I don't play video games for realism. If I want realism, I'll go outside. If I want a "realistic" game I'm a bit out of luck. No war shooter is anything close to "realistic," no RPG is really anything close to "realistic," and so on and so forth. And I don't see "realism" in the form of some big, abstract concept as a selling point.
I'm not against using the term realism in the gaming community.

But I'm against that! Good lord is "realism" completely useless for making a game fun.

Aeonknight

Apr 8, 2011
I'm gonna go with racial terms here. I'd post the words but the mods may not like that...

It's pretty sad when I get hate mail from BF3 that they instantly resort to an outdated racial slur they learned was a "bad word" in school, for the shock value alone. It doesn't even apply to me, but I'm supposed to be offended because it's "The N Word". zomg?

Here's an idea: either update your racial slurs to something a little more creative... or stop sucking at the game to the point where you gotta ***** at me.

Mr Companion

Jul 27, 2009
Vault101 said:
"brown" in a sentece decribing how much you cant stand brown

look, saying this isnt some fucking amazing insight..EVERYONE knows and your taste isnt any better because you keep going on about it

ohh and there are plenty of games that arnt overly brown
I don't really use that as a criticism much either because really some games need to look bleak, its just their art style. On the other hand I can undoubtedly see why people are getting tired of games the overuse that color scheme in a market flooded with more of the same, I mean how much more interesting were titles like Bulletstorm Left 4 Dead 2 and New Vegas simply because it used a wide color palette? By this point saying a game overuses brown is a legitimate insult if a little "Yahtzee". There are games that don't choclify their textures but they are currently in the minority.

geK0

Jun 24, 2011
"Casual"

I find it annoying that people who play just for fun are considered 'casual' and therefore not 'true gamers'.
I've been playing games for a long bloody time, and it has always beenjust for fun[/i. I'll play competitive games but I'll spend very little time perfecting my strategies (for most people that involves looking up cookie cutter strategies on forums and help sites like a bunch of drones), I enjoy competition but at the same time I don't take it THAT seriously.
It irks me a bit when I'm considered to not be a 'true gamer' because I prefer games like Mario Kart and Kirby to Battlefield or Assassin's Creed.

Aug 1, 2010
The_root_of_all_evil said:
"hate"

Unless it's actually causing you to lose sleep worrying about it, you don't "hate" anything, just dislike it.

Stop taking yourself so seriously, dammit.
Pretty much that.

What ever happened to getting annoyed by something? Now you either like or hate.

OT: I get rather irritated when I hear/read the word "Classic" since it it usually refers to an old game that was great in the day, but doesn't really hold up. Many people seem to think that by calling it "Classic" it is suddenly better than any game today.

geK0

Jun 24, 2011
"Story/ Narrative"

Stories are great and all but these are games; stories are a secondary feature! Games with shit stories or no stories at all can still be great!

Sarah Frazier

Dec 7, 2010
RPG

I'm not saying that I hate all RPGs... Only games where the only story consists of "You're a soldier in a war. Those are your enemies. Make them dead with any of these things on this list." RPG is not just ten minutes of hearing how your character (fully customized or not) escaped from prison and now they're shooting their way across the world with the only people who talk to them being other criminal or police elements before you blow their brains out. If the story ends at the start of the actual game, it stop counting as an RPG for me.

Justanewguy

Jun 30, 2011
BathorysGraveland said:
"Noob/Nub".

Seriously, the lamest fucking 'insult' ever imaginable. Hypocritical as well, seeing as we were all new to each game at one point.
This is actually a misnomer. The term "Newb" meaning "newbie" is wholly different from the term "noob." Newb is used as a term for new players and generally wasn't supposed to be considered derogatory. Noob, on the other hand, generally referred to an older player who had played long enough that they should be at least decent, but instead sucked out loud. Noobs are the sort of people who you see begging for money on MMOs, because they can't be bothered or simply can't make money on their own, and beg for help from better players because they refused to learn the basic skills of the game.

Newb isn't bad. Noob is. The mix-up of the terms is one of the things that annoys me in the gaming community, because it makes us seem like we're bad to new players, when legitimately we're not.

Dan Steele

Jul 30, 2010
One sentence I never want to hear from anyone in the gaming community again

"I used to ***** then I took an arrow to the knee"

but in all seriousness though I can not stand the term "tits or gtfo or get in the kitchen and make me a sandwhich" it make us good gamers look like a bunch of sexist, basement dwelling, misogynistic nerds. I am also annoyed by the people who constantly brag about being a girl gamer. Word from the wise girl, nobody cares about your gender. Just shut up and play the game with the rest of us.

6_Qubed

Mar 19, 2009
Vegosiux said:
"Realistic".

Sorry, but that's just a no-go. Or do you want to be locked out of playing MW3 for half a year cause your character is recuperating after getting shot? I mean that's what usually happens when you get shot, rushed to hospital and lots of time for recovery.
I'll agree with this guy, but add that it can apply to movies as well. Remember that Hulk movie, the one with the guy who later played that Romulan in Star Trek, where people complained that the Hulk looked computer generated? Well for starters, he looks computer generated because HE WAS COMPUTER GENERATED YOU NINNIES! Second, that's what breaks your suspension of disbelief? Really? You can totally get behind a two-story-tall green radioactive caveman in magical purple pants, but not if he's computer generated?

ReinWeisserRitter

Nov 15, 2011
I tend to find the opinions of people who look for flaws more credible than those who don't, so nope, can't say as it bothers me.

I do have one word (by which I mean two words) I'd love never to see referring to the video game industry again, though: "Art" and "realism".

Justanewguy

Jun 30, 2011
Naeo said:
"Quantum leap". It does not mean what you probably think it means. It is not some huge leap forwards, some great stride made towards some goal. It is an electron moving from one energy state to another--a jump that is incredibly tiny. So if you say "this is a quantum leap forwards," as far as the macro scale is concerned, you've basically emitted a photon or two, if even.
Uh...the term "Quantum Leap" comes from the show "Quantum Leap" where the main character "leaped" from body to body, righting wrongs and fixing the past as he lived through various people's lives in history. Great show, but in this case, you're wrong. It's not referring to the scientific term, "quantum" meaning the smallest forms of matter and energy, it's referring to the TV show.

Greni

Jun 19, 2011
God you guys are whiny bastards!

But just to piss in the wind, the word 'realistic' (mentioned at least thrice already) has no place in making a fucking video game better. Standing on a hillside fighting a demon spawn from the innermost circle of hell, but you carrying 420 bottles of healing potions is somehow unrealistic?
Or say you're fighting in a gruesome WWII situation whereas standing in cover for 20 seconds after getting your chest stuffed with led makes you all fine again, but being able to reload w/ a few extra rounds in your old clip and still having them count with the bullets total you have left is too much?

BiscuitWheels

Jan 10, 2009
Justanewguy said:
BathorysGraveland said:
"Noob/Nub".

Seriously, the lamest fucking 'insult' ever imaginable. Hypocritical as well, seeing as we were all new to each game at one point.
This is actually a misnomer. The term "Newb" meaning "newbie" is wholly different from the term "noob." Newb is used as a term for new players and generally wasn't supposed to be considered derogatory. Noob, on the other hand, generally referred to an older player who had played long enough that they should be at least decent, but instead sucked out loud. Noobs are the sort of people who you see begging for money on MMOs, because they can't be bothered or simply can't make money on their own, and beg for help from better players because they refused to learn the basic skills of the game.

Newb isn't bad. Noob is. The mix-up of the terms is one of the things that annoys me in the gaming community, because it makes us seem like we're bad to new players, when legitimately we're not.
No it isn't. It was just a new way of spelling the same damn word. Trying to assign a different meaning to a different spelling of the same word is the type of pretentious crap that makes people hate the supposed hardcore gamer even more. And to whoever linked the Ctrl-Alt-Delete comic explaining the difference: any comic that has so many word balloons in such a shitty layout that it obscures the title of said comic is not someone I'd look towards to back up my points.

FFHAuthor

Aug 1, 2010
Aeonknight said:
I'm gonna go with racial terms here. I'd post the words but the mods may not like that...

It's pretty sad when I get hate mail from BF3 that they instantly resort to an outdated racial slur they learned was a "bad word" in school, for the shock value alone. It doesn't even apply to me, but I'm supposed to be offended because it's "The N Word". zomg?

Here's an idea: either update your racial slurs to something a little more creative... or stop sucking at the game to the point where you gotta ***** at me.
I see a marketing opportunity there...hmm.

"The Gamer's Thesaurus. 50,000 slurs, insults, innuendos and profanities you've never heard of! Take your online game-play mockery to the next level! Why improve your game when you can buy this to reduce your opponents and teammates of superior or inferior ability to simpering infants in utter awe of your ability to chastise their skill level! Also includes a bonus section on copycat and mimicry so you can even insult players who preform just as well as you!"

BiscuitWheels

Jan 10, 2009
Justanewguy said:
Naeo said:
"Quantum leap". It does not mean what you probably think it means. It is not some huge leap forwards, some great stride made towards some goal. It is an electron moving from one energy state to another--a jump that is incredibly tiny. So if you say "this is a quantum leap forwards," as far as the macro scale is concerned, you've basically emitted a photon or two, if even.
Uh...the term "Quantum Leap" comes from the show "Quantum Leap" where the main character "leaped" from body to body, righting wrongs and fixing the past as he lived through various people's lives in history. Great show, but in this case, you're wrong. It's not referring to the scientific term, "quantum" meaning the smallest forms of matter and energy, it's referring to the TV show.
No, it means a dramatic shift, it has nothing to do with the television show. The name of the show comes from the scientific term quantum leap.

BristolBerserker

Aug 3, 2011
From the list I picked the falchion but other swords I like that weren't included are the dao from China, claymore from Scotland, khopesh from Ancient Egypt and butterfly swords from China(again).