One word I never want to hear from anyone in the gaming community again.

Dethenger

Jul 27, 2011
Professor James said:
"Hardscoping"

Now, I have no problem when people use this in a quickscoping match or whatever; but believe it are not, I have been insulted for looking through my scope for more then 1 second in a public game. Little kids call me "noob"(another word that I wish got a lot less use) because I actually snipe like you're supposed to and not quickscope all the time.
I'm opening a new tab and going to Google. If that is a real term, I'm going to kill myself.

Others may die also.

I'm going to play this thing by ear.

-looks it up-

Triforceformer

Jun 16, 2009
BiscuitWheels said:
No it isn't. It was just a new way of spelling the same damn word. Trying to assign a different meaning to a different spelling of the same word is the type of pretentious crap that makes people hate the supposed hardcore gamer even more. And to whoever linked the Ctrl-Alt-Delete comic explaining the difference: any comic that has so many word balloons in such a shitty layout that it obscures the title of said comic is not someone I'd look towards to back up my points.
Actually yes, there is a difference between "Newb" and "Noob". They're homophones: Words that sound the same but have different meanings. Newbs are new players who are not expected to be competent. Noobs are long-time players who suck as far as I know. Every online game I've played has treated newb and noob as their own words, and chastised those who think they are synonymous.

O.T. The words "knee", "arrow" and "cake" can all die in a fire.

crazyarms33

Nov 24, 2011
"...aarow in the knee".
I do not find this funny. I have never found it funny. I know that it shouldn't, but it astounds me that this is still popular.

Freaky Lou

Nov 1, 2011
BathorysGraveland said:
"Noob/Nub".

Seriously, the lamest fucking 'insult' ever imaginable. Hypocritical as well, seeing as we were all new to each game at one point.
I use it as a term of affection with my little brother, because he is young and inexperienced. I never saw it as filled with bile; it just means someone who lacks experience.

IPunchWithMyFists

Feb 14, 2011
itsmeyouidiot said:
"Rehash."

99% of the time it's used, it's by a person who is deliberately looking for flaws in a game.

I tend to instantly lose any and all respect for people who use this word, because they're always using it in a way that makes it clear that they're trying to find flaws in a game where none exist.

Who here feels the same way?
Rehash of an old post I'm sure.

Besides, Gears 3 is a rehash of Gears Rehash. So is Resisrehash 3 and Modern Rehash 3. Biggest rehash this yearehash is definitely Lehash of Zelda: Skyward Sword. For real. I tell you, there's too much rehash in the world today.

Ever been playing a rehash and your inventory gets rehash? So you have to start back from your last rehash, but your rehashes are still rehashed.

Best game this year though was, and it's my favorite of all time.

Rehash 3:
Rehash's Deception.

2012 Wont Happen

Aug 12, 2009
Owyn_Merrilin said:
Halo Fanboy said:
Indie. It's a marketing gimmick and buzzword more or less.
It is in the music world, but independent videogames are still actually independent. Give it ten years or so though, and you'll be right.

Edit: Sorry about the double post, but people don't get notifications if I quote them in an edit. I wish that had been higher on the priority list than a visual facelift...
In the music word "indie" has become a genre, but independent still carries a great deal of weight. Particularly with punk and hip hop.

Vetinarii

Aug 17, 2009
The_root_of_all_evil said:
"hate"

Unless it's actually causing you to lose sleep worrying about it, you don't "hate" anything, just dislike it.

Stop taking yourself so seriously, dammit.
I don't think that means what you think it means.

Hating doesn't mean you have to worry about it, it can just mean you daydream about stabbing it/him/her in the face/glowing weak spot. Stop taking yourself so seriously.

BathorysGraveland said:
"Noob/Nub".

Seriously, the lamest fucking 'insult' ever imaginable. Hypocritical as well, seeing as we were all new to each game at one point.
I use Newb to signify that I'm not insulting anyone per se just poking fun at them (while still trying to provide worthwhile help when I see them struggling).

kortin

Mar 18, 2011
synulia said:
Skyrim.

I'm serious. Yes you all like it. Enough.
brb, making a skyrim topic.

I agree with you OP. Its funny because most people know nothing about rehashed content.

Vault101

I'm in your mind fuzz
Sep 26, 2010
Bvenged said:
[HEADING=1]Fanboy[/HEADING]
I can't fucking stand the word fanboy in any context. I even made a f***ing thread about it.
Search for it up top and you'll know what I mean. Worst word going, for me.
agreed...

oh you like somthing alot? well you cant defend it becuase your just a FANBOY!

shrekfan246

Not actually a Japanese pop star
May 26, 2011
synulia said:
And brown. GTA IV was not brown. Quit complaining about "brown shooters". Heck even MW3 has tons of color. BF3 has so much color it actually blinds you. Fallout 3 was the only game to truly deserve being called "brown".
Oh man. Thank you. I get so angry at all of the CoD haters who shout over and over about how it's "just another brown shooter" that I can't even comprehend trying to argue with them. We know you hate the game an exorbitant amount. At least try to come up with a good reason. Even the "map pack" excuse is getting tired. Do you expect them to totally reinvent the FPS genre with every game? There's only so much innovation a first-person human-based military shooter can do.

Vault101

I'm in your mind fuzz
Sep 26, 2010
shrekfan246 said:
synulia said:
And brown. GTA IV was not brown. Quit complaining about "brown shooters". Heck even MW3 has tons of color. BF3 has so much color it actually blinds you. Fallout 3 was the only game to truly deserve being called "brown".
Oh man. Thank you. I get so angry at all of the CoD haters who shout over and over about how it's "just another brown shooter" that I can't even comprehend trying to argue with them. We know you hate the game an exorbitant amount. At least try to come up with a good reason. Even the "map pack" excuse is getting tired. Do you expect them to totally reinvent the FPS genre with every game? There's only so much innovation a first-person human-based military shooter can do.
perhaps "brown" has just become a blanket term for "realistic miltairy shooter like Call of Duty"

and even in the case of Fallout3..its brown..so what? its set in a wasteland, thats the point, never mind what other games are doing, should they throw some confetti around for the hell of it?

Konatacalypse

Dec 30, 2010
Triforceformer said:
BiscuitWheels said:
No it isn't. It was just a new way of spelling the same damn word. Trying to assign a different meaning to a different spelling of the same word is the type of pretentious crap that makes people hate the supposed hardcore gamer even more. And to whoever linked the Ctrl-Alt-Delete comic explaining the difference: any comic that has so many word balloons in such a shitty layout that it obscures the title of said comic is not someone I'd look towards to back up my points.
Actually yes, there is a difference between "Newb" and "Noob". They're homophones: Words that sound the same but have different meanings. Newbs are new players who are not expected to be competent. Noobs are long-time players who suck as far as I know. Every online game I've played has treated newb and noob as their own words, and chastised those who think they are synonymous.

O.T. The words "knee", "arrow" and "cake" can all die in a fire.
Throw in the phrase "u mad bro?" and you have a deal.

O.T. Casual and hardcore.

I despise these words. Why do I need be listed "Casual" or "Hardcore"? There must be some dark text in the bowls of douche-bag hell that reads "Every human that plays any video game shall be called casual or hardcore and you shall never know any other words to describe them."

SnakeoilSage

Sep 20, 2011
"Controversial."

Tired of mainstream media acting like something happening in video games is somehow destroying some kind of fundamental foundation of society that it can't survive without. Blood, gore, sex both straight and homosexual, whatever. It's the 21st Century, thirty years since video games became part of the world, and nothing has happened.

st0pnsw0p

Nov 23, 2009
Don't know what else to add now that everything I would have said has already been said explained better than I possibly could. Let me see...

Using "nostalgic" as an insult. Most of the people who use it usually mean "I don't like this old game/game from an old franchise, so anyone who does must obviously be blinded by how much they liked it when they were stupid kids".

FoolKiller

Feb 8, 2008
kman123 said:
The words 'arrow to the knee'.

Seriously. It's gotta die.
Also, it's the second meme I know of that is incorrect.

It's supposed to be "arrow in the knee."

Archemetis

Is Probably Awesome.
Aug 13, 2008
'Realistic', 'Realism' and most other variants.

I'm not going to go the typical 'WAAAH! Why won't the realistic brown FPS fad die!!!' route, because that's just silly.

I don't really even want realism to outright go away in gaming, I just want it to die down and make way for something else...

I miss Creative things. Yeah I know there are still creative games out there, but let's be honest, do they get nearly the kind of exposure or respect that 'realistic' titles get?
Not that I've seen over the past half-decade.

I want something to be visually appealing beyond how much it resembles something I've seen already, I want to see stylised character design, I want something based in another world or a different planet but without the whole 'Humans coming to fuck up some aliens shit' story or Vice Versa.

Gaming used to be so stylish and out-there... I really miss it.

OH! Another one I hate, 'Fanboy'.

If only because anyone I've caught using it has clearly no idea what it means...

I got called a Sega Fanboy once because I said I'm not very fond of Sonic 2006, Sonic Unleashed, Sonic 4 Episode 1 or Sonic colours.

Now forgive me if things have changed and I'm just out-of-the-loop... But when did not liking games from a certain developer make you their fanboy?

Fijiman

I am THE PANTS!
Legacy
Dec 1, 2011
Matthew94 said:
The word hardcore.

For me it used to mean people who were experts at games like Quake 3, CSS or Street Fighter.

Now it means "hey I play games that aren't farmville"
When I hear someone say "I'm MLG/a hardcore gamer," what I hear them say is "I'm a giant duchebag and I demand that you respect me."

Professor James said:
"Hardscoping"

Now, I have no problem when people use this in a quickscoping match or whatever; but believe it are not, I have been insulted for looking through my scope for more then 1 second in a public game. Little kids call me "noob"(another word that I wish got a lot less use) because I actually snipe like you're supposed to and not quickscope all the time.
That annoys me to no end when someone goes on a about their "quickscoping/noscoping" with a bolt-action or when they go off because someone "hardscoped" them, especially when they get "hardscoped" with a semi-auto sniper. I say let me fail at sniping in my way and you can fail at sniping in yours, there is no need to keep yapping about it.

Irreducible Sohn said:
Unoriginal.

Just shut up. Shut the fuck up. If a game is good, it's good. Doesn't matter if it's not 100% original.
These days it almost impossible to come up with anything that is 100% original. People need to accept that and move on.

Vegosiux said:
"Realistic".

Sorry, but that's just a no-go. Or do you want to be locked out of playing MW3 for half a year cause your character is recuperating after getting shot? I mean that's what usually happens when you get shot, rushed to hospital and lots of time for recovery.
And that would be if you were lucky. If a game like MW3 were "realistic", most people wouldn't be able to play again after playing only a few minutes because they either got shot in the head or blown to bits.