One word I never want to hear from anyone in the gaming community again.

LilithSlave

Sep 1, 2011
Matthew94 said:
Now it means "hey I play games that aren't farmville"
Even more than that, with many people it's starting to mean "I only play M rated games for mature gamers such as myself".

TheHecatomb

May 7, 2008
"Aspergers"

Seriously. You're just a socially awkward nerd who spends too much time reading forums and has absolutely no form of 'asperger's syndrome', 'mild autism' or what-fucking-ever. Leave your bedroom.

Oh and while we're at it; "Asexual".

You're not asexual, you're a virgin trying to look cool instead of - again - leaving your bedroom.

Zio_IV

Not a Premium Member
Sep 17, 2011
kman123 said:
The words 'arrow to the knee'.

Seriously. It's gotta die.
I'll second this. A good meme is alright, but even the best ones get old eventually. For me this was one of the ones that was funny for the first week, and now I see it everywhere. Let it die out before it wears out its welcome, I say.

TPiddy

Aug 28, 2009
Zantos said:
I hate people using linear as an insult to a game. Saying that a game is bad because it's linear is like saying Pulp Fiction is bad because it's not an animated family comedy.
It's not???? Damn... well I guess I'll never buy my DVD's from the back of a van again...

TPiddy

Aug 28, 2009
krazykidd said:
Unoriginal .

Sick and tired of people complaining that developpers are not doing anything new , but when they do no one buys ot or the look down on ot . Bunch of hypocrites i say.
This a thousand times over.... Alpha Protocol, Dead Island and Brink are just 3 examples of games that tried something new and got shit on....

Mau95

Nov 11, 2011
Smeggs said:
Fleetfiend said:
BathorysGraveland said:
"Noob/Nub".

Seriously, the lamest fucking 'insult' ever imaginable. Hypocritical as well, seeing as we were all new to each game at one point.
Thank you. I hate when people call other players "noobs" like it was an insult. Honestly, why would you want to discourage someone new from starting the game? That's just stupid. Particularly in MMOs.
I only ever use noob when it's a player that thinks they're better than everyone else and yet they lag somewhere in the mid-section or bottom of the scoreboards at the end. Kinda thought that was the whole point of "noob," when someone was being a total moron because they thought their way was the best way and refused to use teamwork or take advice.

Or, y'know, the people who openly use mods and hacks.
See this comic for more info'mation: http://www.cad-comic.com/cad/20060823

David Bjur

Hazy sucks, Daystar Moreso
Nov 21, 2011
Zantos said:
I hate people using linear as an insult to a game. Saying that a game is bad because it's linear is like saying Pulp Fiction is bad because it's not an animated family comedy.
^This.
First off, I love Pulp Fiction. It's my favorite movie tbh.
Second, yes, linear is not the same as bad. Quite the opposite I would like to say for the people that doesn't have enough time to play a massive game such as _______.
OT: I would like the word "Skyrim" to be used less frequently.

iRevanchist

Jun 11, 2011
"TOR"
seriously, any WOW-aspiring piece of scheisse that goes under the name of a great series (KOTOR) (when it has as much to do with it as the orig-trig did) just for name recognition deserves to die. also, "story-driven MMO". stop fooling yourselves, there's no such thing.

LilithSlave

Sep 1, 2011
TheHecatomb said:
Oh and while we're at it; "Asexual".

You're not asexual, you're a virgin trying to look cool instead of - again - leaving your bedroom.
I wouldn't agree with that at all.

And that's not something you hear particularly out of the gaming community.

If anything, I hear too much hypersexuality. And "I can't help it, I'm a guy" stupidity.

Zykmiester

Jun 22, 2010
God there are so many
1. Bias being used incorrectly by when complaining about a review score
2. Noob can fuck off and die
3. Linear as a complaint about a game is stupid as fuck
4. Camping when being used do describe someone holding the objective
5. Pretty much every meme

bliebblob

Plushy wrangler, die-curious
Sep 9, 2009
"dynamic"
Typical marketing blurb: sounds great but doesn't really mean anything. Dynamic process, dynamic story, dynamic combat system, dynamic skill system,... At least explain what's so friggin dynamic about it, instead of just saying "it's amazing" in 7 diferent ways. Than I'll decide for myself if it's amazing or not.

"noob"
or any similar slurs.
DO I really need to explain? Though for me it's more about the attitude surrounding it than the actual words. Luckily I've come to a stage where I can smilingly accept that no matter how good or bad I am at the game, I will always sooner or later be called a noob by mr. hotshot du jour. And no matter what I do or say I will remain a noob to him. So I may as wel troll the sh*t outta him XD

Alandoril

Jul 19, 2010
The majority of game journalists aren't good writers, so they fallback on journalistic shorthand. For example, "brown" being used to criticise a game is not really just in reference to its graphics but also to the overall dull and repetitive feel of the title.

It makes sense to use such shorthand references but they do indeed become a little obnoxious after overuse.

Magikarp

Jan 26, 2011
Professor James said:
"Hardscoping"

Now, I have no problem when people use this in a quickscoping match or whatever; but believe it are not, I have been insulted for looking through my scope for more then 1 second in a public game. Little kids call me "noob"(another word that I wish got a lot less use) because I actually snipe like you're supposed to and not quickscope all the time.
...people actually call it hardscoping, not sniping? This greatly saddens me.
OT: Realistic. I have yet to find a game where realism actually adds to it. I find realism boring for the most part.

McMarbles

May 7, 2009
"Cinematic". Tell me a game is "cinemtic", and all I get from it is "I"m ashamed that my job is making games. Movies are REAL entertainment."

Techsmart07

Mar 5, 2011
BathorysGraveland said:
"Noob/Nub".

Seriously, the lamest fucking 'insult' ever imaginable. Hypocritical as well, seeing as we were all new to each game at one point.
I gotta agree with this one, but for a different reason: people who suck at the game are using it as an insult to people who aren't bad at the game. I've had 1 or 2 people in left 4 dead call me a noob when I played with them, yet they don't even remember to grab a medkit and then boss people around telling me to heal them when they are at 20 health, and I am runnin on pills to keep up with the group.
The other one that bugs me is that people say a game sucks because it's "boring." that's a perfectly valid reason to say you don't like it, but don't use it to say a game is bad. I have a friend who thinks any game he finds boring is crap (he thinks skyrim is one of the worst games of 2011, and MW3 is the best game ever). If you say something about the game, he doesn't say "oh, I didn't like the game," he says "that game is s***, why do you wanna talk about it?"

Mr. Omega

ANTI-LIFE JUSTIFIES MY HATE!
Jul 1, 2010
I have a good long list. First off would be immersion.
It's a buzzword, to try and make a game sound much better than it actually is, and tries to make points that they know are just nit-picking sound a lot worse than they really are by saying the "break immersion". It's a word game reviewers and fanboys abuse to make themselves not sound like fanboys, or people who hate a game and people who can't come up with a valid criticism use to make it sound as if they aren't just nit-picking.

#2: Rehash/Unoriginal.
Yes, I do think there is a limit to how many times a game can be released in a short (keyword here) period of time before it is considered a rehash. But like 80% of the time, most of the times people use the word "rehash" is when they are just talking about a sequel in a series they don't like. Plus, being a rehash is not automatically a damning sign that the game is bad. Case in point: Assassin's Creed Brotherhood. While we're on the topic of sequels.

#3: Hating sequels for the sake of them being sequels.
THIS site in particular has an issue with it. If a game does something different or tries to do something new, they are "backstabbing their fans" or they constantly ask "Why not just make this a new IP?". If they stay true to the original formula, but also manage to make some changes, everyone happens to ignore any possible changes that might have been made, look at the core formula and go "See? Totally unoriginal hacks! Yes, they changed some superficial things, but the core is still the same! What? We'd complain about them betraying us if they did so? WHAT ARE YOU TALKING ABOUT?"

#4: "Gimmick"
This word has lost all meaning. People pretty much use it any time at all Nintendo announces a new console that isn't just their previous console with a graphics update (or in the case of the 3DS, which pretty much WAS a DS with a graphics update and optional 3D.). Or any time someone tries to something different at all and they don't happen to like it.

#5: "Innovative"
See #4. The difference between whether a feature is "Innovative" or a "Gimmick" these days in the minds of gamers is "Do I like this new feature?"

#6: PC Elitist
Calling a PC Gamer an elitist would imply they have something to be elitist about. They aren't elitist. They're just assholes. Fanboys. They just happen to be even worse, because they actually judge you, as a person, solely based on the fact that you game on a console or a laptop or an outdated PC.

I think that's enough for right now...

Naeo

Dec 31, 2008
I've actually got a few.

"Quantum leap". It does not mean what you probably think it means. It is not some huge leap forwards, some great stride made towards some goal. It is an electron moving from one energy state to another--a jump that is incredibly tiny. So if you say "this is a quantum leap forwards," as far as the macro scale is concerned, you've basically emitted a photon or two, if even.

"Conservative" and "liberal" (as well as "right/left-wing"). It shouldn't matter what ideological camp any particular policy idea falls under. It should matter if it will work, and whether it will work has absolutely nothing to do with whether something is conservative or liberal or what have you.

But as for video games:

"Realism". I don't play video games for realism. If I want realism, I'll go outside. If I want a "realistic" game I'm a bit out of luck. No war shooter is anything close to "realistic," no RPG is really anything close to "realistic," and so on and so forth. And I don't see "realism" in the form of some big, abstract concept as a selling point.

"Casual" and "hardcore," but that's been done to death already in this topic, so I'll let those stand.

Owen Robertson

Jul 26, 2011
Professor James said:
"Hardscoping"

Now, I have no problem when people use this in a quickscoping match or whatever; but believe it are not, I have been insulted for looking through my scope for more then 1 second in a public game. Little kids call me "noob"(another word that I wish got a lot less use) because I actually snipe like you're supposed to and not quickscope all the time.
I just defeat them with logic.

Child: "Haha! Hardscope faggit! Can't quickscope?"
Me: "... you're joking, right? Yes using a weapon as it was intended to be used is homosexuality. Only the cool kids throw swords."
Child: "What are you talking about? Who said "sword"? You're gay!"
Me: "Kay bud."
Child: "Hahaha! You admitted you're gay! Hahaha!"
Me: "No, I didn't, but if it makes you feel more comfortable with your own repressed homosexuality then sure, I'm gay."

At this point they either realize I've called them "gay", or don't understand polysyllabic words so they keep calling me gay. I'm starting to think these gamers aren't very smart, and/or are all homophobes. MovieBob said it best: "Now public perception has changed from us being Gary and Wyatt, to Chet."