Online Congestion Crippling Single Player Mode in Gran Turismo 5

Xersues

DRM-free or give me death!
Dec 11, 2009
Megacherv said:
Oh god, you could cut the fanboyism and over-reactiosn with a freaking chainsaw here.
Seriously, I played the game last night with NO problems and I am connected to the internet. This article makes no sense to me. Neither are half of the idiots here just claiming they're glad to hate all over the game.

A LOT of games have online functionality into their single player game. This includes several EA games as they always include their EA server functionality. Hot Pursuit has the Autolog, which can "slow down the single player experience" by taking forever to load screens and races all the time as well.

Idlemessiah

Zombie Steve Irwin
Feb 22, 2009
I've been a massive GT fan right from the start. But my PS3 owning friend got GT5 yesterday... We played it... I was massively underwhelmed. In 5 years nothings changed much at all. Graphics a bit better. More cars and tracks etc, but really it's just a repaint of GT4. Although granted the track maker is pretty cool and they get kudos for having the Top Gear track.

EDIT: It also managed to bend the profile I was using so that only the sticks and shoulder buttons worked. That meant I could steer, accelerate, brake and use my high beams and wipers. No handbrake, no reverse!

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
imgunagitusucka said:
Sony never ceases to find ways to be underwhelming. Why have menu screens loading through servers in single player? What then does that do to those actually playing MP? Gamer 1 "Man, this is lagging!!" Gamer 2 "Yeah, there must be alot of people playing single player." Gamer 1 "WTF?"
To be fair, GT5 is far from the only game to do this. It's just the only game high profile enough to have both this kind of server load and this kind of attention on it.

The Rockerfly

Dec 31, 2008
Megacherv said:
Oh god, you could cut the fanboyism and over-reactiosn with a freaking chainsaw here.
To be fair with a lot of them, this is supposed to be a game from the Gods, people complain about hype in most other games and they get torn apart for stupid flaws like this

OT: huh, how weird

Celtic_Kerr

May 21, 2010
JordanMillward_1 said:
el_kabong said:
Man, am I glad I don't like racing games.
Man, am I glad I don't like the PS3!

*pets his Xbox that has never had a game mess up quite as monumentally as GT5 before*
It's not the PS3 itself, it's the servers. THis is what happens when a game is promised to be done in 2 years and be a launch title, but only end up coming out in 5 years. Having 1,031 cars to choose from online must be a bit of an unanticipated strain too...

So for all those who want Duke Nukem Forever, if there is an online mode: You probably won't be able to play for a solid month online

mew4ever23

Mar 21, 2008
Wow. MASSIVE amounts of Fail here. This is inexcusable. What the hell is wrong with just refreshing the server list when you click the button to join an online multiplayer game? Why does everyone feel the need to add a list of servers (that constantly needs to refresh its data on all servers in it) to game menus?

Cyan. said:
Massive, unadulterated and inexcusable fail.

This should never happen. Ever. its pure idiocy on the developers bahalf. Imagine if this happened with Halo Reach or Black Ops????

Im outraged and i dont even own a PS3.
Agreed. This is most definitely the biggest gaming fuckup in a long time (or at the very least, since new vegas came out, hoard of bugs and all).

jimduckie

Mar 4, 2009
gee they took their time making gt5 ,you would think they would of thought of this earlier ... besides forza 3 was good and gt5 should of been a ps3 launch title

soapyshooter

That Guy
Jan 19, 2010
Way to overreact guys...shit like this happens with every big launch whether it be on the 360 or PS3.

mjc0961

YOU'RE a pie chart.
Nov 30, 2009
Amethyst Wind said:
So let's recap:

The game was delayed.

The game was scaled down.

The single-player is actively crippled by the multiplayer when the multiplayer is not in use.

*Clap*

*Clap*

*Clap*
Don't forget that it was poorly developed and thus may experience framerate drops when things are getting busy on the screen.

The sad part is that Sony will still promote this pathetic excuse for a game as one of the things only Playstation can do. No Sony, every platform can have a game that's monumentally fucked up like this. They just generally try not to.

soapyshooter said:
Way to overreact guys...shit like this happens with every big launch whether it be on the 360 or PS3.
No it doesn't. Did you read the article? One would expect to have problems in multiplayer on launch because of high traffic, but if you actually read the article here instead of just blindly jumping to the game's defense, you would see that the server strain is also breaking the SINGLE PLAYER. You have to disconnect from the internet just to play alone. That is poor design and it is pathetic.

Racthoh

Feb 9, 2009
I just find it funny that they no doubt spent all of this time making the game look pretty but when it actually came to playing it they made a big whoops.

MR T3D

Feb 21, 2009
haters gonna hate, but GT5 still kicks forza's ass across the 'ring.
(and FYI, multiplatform master race reporting here)

Physics Engine

Aug 18, 2010
Now I don't feel so bad having to wait until X-mas for my PS3 and GT5 fix.

Hopefully it will all be sorted out by then, cuz my G25 is collecting dust over here...

Jumplion

Mar 10, 2008
Jay-sus people, calm the hell down. All you have to do is go to "Account Management" or something and press "Log out", if you're playing single player it shouldn't b e a problem anyway.

Gran Turismo 5 looks to be both an awesome experience and an average one. It's a shame since it's been in development for a long time, pretty much a labor of love. I'm debating whether to get this soon or not, but right now I'm being cautiously optimistic of the game.

Oh well. Maybe next time?

Googooguru

Jan 27, 2010
Weird i got the game yesterday and havent had a single problem, runs like a dream and looks great ..

oh wait this article comes from Kotaku .. Lame .. they live to suck microsofts big hairy Balle sack if this was out on 360 Kotaku would be bent over their couch taking like a prison ***** and begging for more .. i call Biased..