Online Gaming is too Hardcore

maxjae

Sep 28, 2007
Does anyone else find online multiplayer in games to be really really hard? I'm sick of jumping into a game of Unreal Tournament and getting completely owned when I just wanna have some fun playing with other people. Online gamers take their games way too seriously, and make online multiplayer inaccessible to all but those gifted with cat-like reflexes. Game developers should put systems in their multiplayer games that match you up with players of similar skill. Halo 2 and 3 did it, but not very well...even on the lowest ranking a newbie doesn't stand a chance.

When I play a game, I play it to relax, not to burst a vein trying to outwit masters of the gaming art. Single player games let you choose how hard you want your game to be, so why not the same for multiplayer games? The technology is there, so why is Bungie the only developer even attempting it?

Lightbulb

Oct 28, 2007
*shrug*

Most servers are run by people like you and I not the game providers. Few developers can afford ot run their own servers. As they are all run by users of the game there is no reason for there to be servers for different skill levels.

In general i would say that most servers are run by clans - clans ARE hardcore by their very nature. Therefore they are unlikely to run newbie servers.

I suggest that the best way to get good at a game is to play. Yes you will get 'owned' but gradually you will improve. I started off rubbish at Counter-Strike and eventually i could play in a Div1 clan. Its all just a matter of practice. Also the skills learned in one game are usually transferable to other games.

However games like UT and Quake - ie Death Match - are the MOST hardcore of all games i would say. If you want a more enjoyable gaming experience i recommend a team game. Team Fortress Classic was always less demanding - your team mates compensate to a certain degree and you tend not to get one person owning everyone else. I imagine that Team Fortress 2 is similar. :)

Other ones to consider are Day of Defeat or possibly the Battle Field games though to be honest i found them firstly to be abit lame and secondly full of griefers. Each to their own however...

LordOmnit

Oct 8, 2007
Well, with something like that, you have to remember that it is based upon certain criteria that aren't constant. If someone has about average reflexes, but is a brilliant strategist, they probably won't be able to beat someone in a twitch game that has amazing reflexes and average-ish intelligence, but they will decimate the others of lower ranking, but be owned by those of higher ranking, rather than a computer that will be pretty much even in all areas for a particular skill level. This kind of thing is an inherent difference between people, which causes some to thrive in one place, and not in another. So it can be difficult to gague how good a player is unless they are observed closely as to how they play.
I certainly understand the relaxing thing, which is probably what drove me from Starcraft Battle.net (what with all the bastards team-killing, kill stealing, hacking, or just otherwise being douches). And Bungie are probably the only people un-lazy enough to apply themselves as far as they have =)
Although I can't say that I'm not with you on the getting owned thing, because I can do one thing good on Halo: use missiles over long distance and nail people (for the two to three shots the missile has and only on one map). Otherwise in closer combat or even controlling the vehicles, I suck total ass.

GeeDave

Oct 10, 2007
While I agree that online first person shooters are just filled with insanely good players that are only out to deliver a virtual bullet to the head of a newbie, I wouldn't go as far as saying that Online Gaming -In General- is too hardcore. If you're sick and tired of getting sniped by people who've played the levels enough to work out exactly where to hide, where the best weapons are, where are all the health is etc etc... then a play an online game that doesn't involve fighting against other players, but rather one that involves fighting alongside them.

Obviously it doesn't really matter where you go, you'll still get jackasses that get a major kick out of taking candy from babies. But (for example) if you start up a game of Diablo 2, the more experienced players will happily HELP you level up. Because maybe they need a strong group of people to defeat some... thing, or whatever.

Your only other alternitave is to just play the games you're getting whooped at... and play them a lot.

Katana314

Oct 4, 2007
I agree with theYellow. While a game like COD4 or UT is going to have a lot of pros that are amazing to watch in a fragvideo, I would say TF2 evens the field a bit, and actually tries to make things easy to pick up on when you're new to the game.

ccesarano

Oct 3, 2007
Part of it depends on the game, and that includes the matchmaking. There are more games using it nowadays, but some games mix it up. The best thing to do is, even if you find yourself at the bottom, keep playing and you'll improve. Playing humans is a lot different than the computer, and you end up needing to learn to adapt to that.

I found TF2 to be a great game online. Only once did I have a twelve year old on Xbox Live trying to tell me how I should play the damn game. Every other time, people not only were able to accept I was new, but understand when I experimented with a class and totally sucked at them. Meanwhile, the Call of Duty 4 game I played online was mad quiet, except for my occasional cussing, crying "Look out for a grenade!" and the Germans or Russians playing the game online speaking their crazy heavy metal language. Nonetheless, no one flamed, no one insulted (well, maybe the foreigners...I think I heard them mention my handle a few times, but usually after I pulled off a kill or something), just...quiet people.

Play the games that the UT and Halo gamers aren't going to play. TF2, Shadowrun and Call of Duty 4 have great gamers on there.

Ranzel

Oct 7, 2007
I felt this exact same way about Halo 2. I sucked, SUCKED, at Halo 2 online. I bought Halo 3 and went online, and by some miracle, I'm actually good at it. I think the kicker was that to some extent everyone playing was a bit new. What I'm trying to say is- Get a online, multi player game right when it comes out, so your on equal terms with everyone else. Don't wait till a year later, expecting to win ANY game your first match, when the games been out a year and people HAVE been playing it that long.

That aside, like everyone said- Team Fortress 2. The great equalizer is the fact that all the classes are so fun most people hate to stick to one, and so are constantly forced to change tactics. Of course this isn't always the case, but whats great about TF2 is that its just fun, win or lose.

sumwar

Nov 6, 2007
I didn't play halo1 or 2 online so when I bought halo 3 I was worried I was going to get my ass kicked. I do play a lot but when I bought Halo 3 I hadn't played a console game in a long time. When I first played I found out there were a lot of players that were noobs too.

General tip: play a team vs team game and stick with your teammates so you don't get pwned since you're likely to lose 1v1 if you're not that good.

Saskwach

Nov 4, 2007
maxjae said:
Halo 2 and 3 did it, but not very well...even on the lowest ranking a newbie doesn't stand a chance.
From what I've heard this is because there are still idiots who get sadist kicks from "pwning n00bs" along with those with new profiles burning their way to their proper level.
It would be nice if more developers make some kind of noob friendly matchmaking system or server but these systems are so easy to fool that the aforementioned weirdos will still break in and ruin the fun.

Gildedtongue

Nov 9, 2007
How to be good at an online game in five easy steps.

1) quit job.
2) have friend bring you food and change your bedpan.
3) overdose on C8H10N4O2 (Caffeine) to remove that pesky need for sleep.
4) sever all ties with the human race outside of your input/output friend and those on your headset.
5) "pwn" "n00bz"

A lot of first person shooters seem to be less based off of having fun, and more based off of an obsession to compete. Unfortunately I don't really see any way around this. As Penny Arcade has pointed out, a normal human being plus anonymity equates a creature only defined as a male copulatory organ.

Vortigar

Nov 8, 2007
I have to agree with Ranzel, get a game shortly after it comes out and you should be fine. I used to play Counter-strike and TFC and did quite well, I still got slapped around in UT'04 when I got that one a year after release. I picked up CoD4 on release, never having played a CoD before, I've consistently been in the upper half of the games I played. I'm 24 years old, so my reflexes should have been on the downward slope for a while now. Maybe trying to compete in fighting games (VF5 at the moment) is good training for the reflexes?

Also, I never ever play Deathmatch, team matches only. Objective based if at all possible, team death match is usually a bit bland. I'm a UT/TFC flag runner and play CS as far away from the sniper rifles as possible. Yep, I'm also one of those die hards that played Scout in TFC. Many games have got ranked stuff nowadays, Rainbow Six, Call of Duty, Resistance, Halo, Warhawk.

Gildedtongue:
We're 12 posts down and John Gabriel's Greater Internet Dickwad Theory already pops up, that was fast.

Yanarix

Oct 22, 2007
what it really comes down to is impressing people, not some therapy you get from button mashing (ie heroin hero). supposing you play a cooperative multiplayer game, like wow, and during boss fights, you just set your char down by the boss, set the auto attack and go off to the kitchen for a soda. your teammates, actually putting effort into the game, do copious amounts of damage and compliment each other for being so awesome, you aside from having a tasty beverage, got nothing out of it.

in all actuality, noobies are rare. people dont make the same mistake too often before figuring it out or googling for an answer. a good game makes you learn, adapt, think :)

hooliganyouth

Oct 3, 2007
I've found that it's not so much the difficulty level of online games as the difficulty in finding people who I actually want to play with. Plus I'm not a particularly competitive person so that's a factor as well.

It really bothers me that a large number of games are ignoring single player campaigns - i.e. "Shadowrun" - for multiplayer action. I realize that there's a lot of money to be made on a popular multiplayer game but still...

I've been some what patiently for "Kane & Lynch" to come out - it's the first game I'm actually excited to play online.

LordLocke

Oct 3, 2007
It depends on the game- generally, older titles are going to have a more hardcore audience as everyone else moves on to the next big thing.

That said, not every game is full of self-promoting assholes who get their jollies blowing you six ways to Sunday- Online RPGs outside Diablo/II tend to have a pretty good player base if it's any older then six months old (gives the chaff time to fall off and find new persuits) and any team-based game can let you glom onto somebody for a little while and try to learn what you're doing under their wing. There's also games you don't have to be particularly great at to feel like you're contributing- Team Fortress 2, for example, has the Engineer and Medic classes that work well as gateways into the game for someone not used to everything else yet.

Most importantly is that, if you really want to get good at a title, stick with it. You'll do poorly at first- that's fine. Everyone STARTS there unless you're so abnormal freak of gamer nature. But if you go in, suck, and quit, you'll never get anywhere in any game.

Kronopticon

Nov 7, 2007
it is quite annoying that many people do spend most of their time perfecting their noob killing qualities, instead of blowing each other to smithereens with equal levels of skill, i myself, do enjoy playing unreal tournament with my brother, who also enjoy's it, as we are both natural gamers of equal level, and we do have lots of fun outsmarting each other and finding interesting ways of launching each other into unreachable places.

maxjae

Sep 28, 2007
Hey, thanks for the game suggestions guys. Mayhaps I will have to get me one of them Orange Boxes and play TF2.

V.Sixenth said:
it sounds like you played Unreal Tournament and expected to be on the same level as everyone else or something,

...Don't whine just because you walked into the lion's den and expected the game to be played at an intermediate level, especially since it sounds like this isn't a new revelation to you.
I fully expect to get my ass kicked online if I'm not up to par on a game, and that's the problem. You shouldn't have to be really good at a game just to be able to enjoy it. You shouldn't even have to be moderately good. It's not a pro sport. It's not even pee wee football. It's a video game. If some people want to take their video games seriously, that's fine. But I shouldn't have to play against them. There should be a decent matchmaking system in all competitive online games. If there was, more people would be able to play these games, resulting in more money for the game companies. Everybody wins.

Lightbulb

Oct 28, 2007
maxjae said:
But I shouldn't have to play against them. There should be a decent matchmaking system in all competitive online games. If there was, more people would be able to play these games, resulting in more money for the game companies. Everybody wins.
So WHO is going to run these newbie, intermediate, and normal servers?

The devs? The publisher? NO!

The users of a game run the servers. Most servers are run by clans, clans are almost by definition hardcore.

Clans run servers for 2 reasons:

1) They want somewhere to play with friends - they are good and theres no fun in "pwning n00bs" so why run a ranked server?

2) They want to attract new players for their clan. You only want good players for your clan so why run a ranked server?

What you are saying is like saying there should be world peace! But not setting out a way to GET THERE. Ideals are good but without a way of implementing them they are abit pointless.