Online Study: Women are just as likley to be "misogynistic" as men online

AngloDoom

Aug 2, 2008
I'm actually shocked it's not predominantly women; most of the men I know have started to clock on to the idea that 'slut shaming' isn't cool, but the women I know still hold to the idea that if someone shows too much leg and breast in the same outfit they're clearly cheap and slutty. Hell, I know women who have a lot of sexual partners but have occasional moments of self-doubt and regret, labelling themselves as sluts while their male friends around them are trying to give them high-fives.

Vault101

I'm in your mind fuzz
Sep 26, 2010
DANEgerous said:
Okay, still even in massively toxic environments I must say I fail to find disturbing amounts of sexism... sorry.My years of WoW any women was kind of adored and not vilified, my female friends are never doubted to be gamers, any woman on voice chat while they may get annoying cat calls someone tells them to shut the fuck up and rightfully so. It may exist but it is not even close to being a universal threat.
[sub/]oh yay..anecdotal evidence[/sub]

does it not occur to you that your perspective here might be slightly....skewed? [footnote/]particularly when you disingenuously jumped on this issue (faster than a speeding bullet might I add) as a way of somehow disproving sexism of women in games,which makes no effing sense whats so ever...but lets drop that [/footnote] I KNOW, I know nobody wants to hear that, and NO I'm not calling you sexist however this:

[quote/]Perhaps I am just an evil member of the patriarchy.[/quote]

super defensive passive aggressiveness...look I'm sure you don't think of yourself as sexist (and I'll assume your not for the most part), and I'm sure you think just as low as those human scum who send rape and death threats to women online as I do, but clinging into the "its not so bad" part of it doesn't help anyone...

I do believe that women, particularly in "visiable" positions like anna sarkeesian when on the topic of things dominated by men get a disproportinate amount of shit on varying levels, NO I don't think all guys are basement dwelling bottom feeding trolls who send death/rape threats, but its a problem, a big problem for various reasons

as a skinny, white privileged female, when it comes to topics to which I am not a part of (Transgender issues, the issues facing black women, those lower from socio economic backgrounds) I can get defensive and play the "everyone is equally opressed game" or feel bad because people tell me I don't know what I'm talking about..or I can let it the fuck go, because I'm not the bad guy, nor am I being painted as the bad guy...because not everything revolves around me

Vault101

I'm in your mind fuzz
Sep 26, 2010
Jasper van Heycop said:
Filtering Twitter for the words "slut" and "whore" is NOT compelling proof that women are misogynistic to women. Every time I hear/read women (and most men) use these words it is interchangeable with "women I don't like". Words only become misogynistic by intent and context. I'm not misandric when I say: "Watch where you're going prick!" to some guy running into me in the street, am I?

That doesn't change the fact that there are probably women who are misogynistic to other women but this is not how you go about proving that.
and everyone forgets

ITS DOESN'T MATTER WHO IT COMES FROM

its not fucking ok...*sigh*

dyre

Mar 30, 2011
DANEgerous said:
Okay, still even in massively toxic environments I must say I fail to find disturbing amounts of sexism... sorry. My years of WoW any women was kind of adored and not vilified, my female friends are never doubted to be gamers, any woman on voice chat while they may get annoying cat calls someone tells them to shut the fuck up and rightfully so. It may exist but it is not even close to being a universal threat. Perhaps I am just an evil member of the patriarchy.
This is just from personal experience, but I think MMOs are generally a healthier environment for anyone who isn't looking for trouble. I've never been in a guild where the leadership tolerated attacks on fellow members, whether they were women or otherwise. And outside guild chat, it's not like gamers are going to be talking about their gender in global chat.

These issues seem more prevalent in shooters, where there is greater interaction with people who aren't your allies. Some guys seem to take a special interest in harassing women, at least from some videos I've seen.

Erttheking

Legacy
Oct 5, 2011
Country
United States
Why is it I get the feeling that people are going to use this as an argument to say that this is a reason to ignore male induced misogyny against women? I mean, it's like a story I read last semester about one black slave who whipped other slaves for not following orders. Some people happily embrace an abusive system because it's all they know and they just want to be accepted, no matter how unhealthy it is for them.

DANEgerous

Jan 4, 2012
Vault101 said:
DANEgerous said:
Okay, still even in massively toxic environments I must say I fail to find disturbing amounts of sexism... sorry.My years of WoW any women was kind of adored and not vilified, my female friends are never doubted to be gamers, any woman on voice chat while they may get annoying cat calls someone tells them to shut the fuck up and rightfully so. It may exist but it is not even close to being a universal threat.
[sub/]oh yay..anecdotal evidence[/sub]

does it not occur to you that your perspective here might be slightly....skewed? [footnote/]particularly when you disingenuously jumped on this issue (faster than a speeding bullet might I add) as a way of somehow disproving sexism of women in games,which makes no effing sense whats so ever...but lets drop that [/footnote] I KNOW, I know nobody wants to hear that, and NO I'm not calling you sexist however this:

[quote/]Perhaps I am just an evil member of the patriarchy.
super defensive passive aggressiveness...look I'm sure you don't think of yourself as sexist (and I'll assume your not for the most part), and I'm sure you think just as low as those human scum who send rape and death threats to women online as I do, but clinging into the "its not so bad" part of it doesn't help anyone...

I do believe that women, particularly in "visiable" positions like anna sarkeesian when on the topic of things dominated by men get a disproportinate amount of shit on varying levels, NO I don't think all guys are basement dwelling bottom feeding trolls who send death/rape threats, but its a problem, a big problem for various reasons

as a skinny, white privileged female, when it comes to topics to which I am not a part of (Transgender issues, the issues facing black women, those lower from socio economic backgrounds) I can get defensive and play the "everyone is equally opressed game" or feel bad because people tell me I don't know what I'm talking about..or I can let it the fuck go, because I'm not the bad guy, nor am I being painted as the bad guy...because not everything revolves around me[/quote]Okay I do admit that was flaming troll bait and fuck you handled it well (Just as I hoped you would I like you Vault) but you know who doesn't? Just about everyone. Seriously I admit the sexism in gaming bullshit is there and it is bullshit but it gets shut down in just about every case I find it in, perhaps I just have good friends as to why that happens but the "you are male shut the fuck up!" is also VERY prevalent in the realm of sexism and that sucks as we can not fight the same thing we both hate.

Vault101

I'm in your mind fuzz
Sep 26, 2010
DANEgerous said:
Okay I do admit that was flaming troll bait and fuck you handled it well (Just as I hoped you would I like you Vault) but you know who doesn't? Just about everyone. Seriously I admit the sexism in gaming bullshit is there and it is bullshit but it gets shut down in just about every case I find it in, perhaps I just have good friends as to why that happens but the "you are male shut the fuck up!" is also VERY prevalent in the realm of sexism and that sucks as we can not fight the same thing we both hate.
the reason people sometimes get a little more hostile than otherwise is because the "derailment brigade" (in its various forms) comes in every single argument related to sexism, its not always well meaning, its sometimes willful ignorance, aggression and outright "sexism under the label equality for everyone" and just a big self perpetuating loop that comes back to the [i/]"sexism isn't real"[/i] point

look at female oriented subreddits on reddit. I'll admit fully that I get a bit of guilty pleasure out of what happens when young (or not so young) guys get exposure to female spaces in an internet thats usually very male dominated, they come in, state their (sometimes) misguided opinion with the preface "as a man" and when everyone turns around, rolls their eyes and says [i/]"who asked YOU?"[/i] they feel hurt, their egos get bruised [i/]"what? but...but...I'm not sexist! why aren't you giving me high fives?"[/i] sometimes this will devolve into them deciding they're all clearly Feminazis

I'm not saying people can't have opinions on things or that I'm clearly always right on issues of sexism because I'm female(I've recently come across some stuff thats made me think) or just because I pulled a [i/]look how aware of my privilege I am![/i] that gives me a [b/]get out of being wrong free[/b] card, it doesn't. We do the best we can with what we have but sometimes....we could still be wrong, hell my pointing out how wrong I could be could possibly be some underhanded tactic to show how "right" I am..I mean what the fuck can you do?

I started watching Orange is the new Black just last night (only 2 episodes in) and the character Piper Chapman is a normal white lady who goes to prison. We all know how this sort of thing usually plays out, and she unwittingly pisses off the cook on her first day she tries to apologise with the cook and the cook says [i/]"you seem like a nice girl, but I can't do shit with "I'm sorry"[/i]... and as I See Piper struggle I feel this sinking in my stomach because "thats me" I think, but then while I feel bad for her its clear, particularly when we see a glimpse into the lives of the cook...that she has no fucking idea, shes not a bad person and her intentions are good but her frame of reference for the world is really narrow, so yeah the cook is being a ***** but in the wider context...of coarse Piper can't come in, say she's really sorry and that its all going to be ok,

actually I have no idea where I was going with that.....I just really like Orange is the new black

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
Just as likely to use female gender based insults isn't a surprise, but (although it's hardly good), also isn't the same as just as likely to be misogynistic.

Frankster

Space Ace
Mar 13, 2009
Saint Ganondorf said:
[
Is there someone aside from you who has actually said that? It just looks like you have an axe to grind and no one actually said that.
I've seen this sentiment echoed a lot even on the escapist itself tbh: trollish behavior and flaming is stereotyped as being a hateful internet intolerant manchild thing cos only they would be capable of making rape threats and using sexually charged insults and overall unpleasantness, women tend to be portrayed exclusively as the victims on the receiving end of it.

If female trolls are acknowledged at all they are dismissed as extreme minority outliers.

Not that any of the above is reflective of my own views but it's an honest vibe I've gotten often enough.

Vault101 said:
look at female oriented subreddits on reddit. I'll admit fully that I get a bit of guilty pleasure out of what happens when young (or not so young) guys get exposure to female spaces in an internet thats usually very male dominated, they come in, state their (sometimes) misguided opinion with the preface "as a man" and when everyone turns around, rolls their eyes and says [i/]"who asked YOU?"[/i] they feel hurt, their egos get bruised [i/]"what? but...but...I'm not sexist! why aren't you giving me high fives?"[/i] sometimes this will devolve into them deciding they're all clearly Feminazis
LOL! That actually does sound like fun, guilty pleasure indeed.

josemlopes

Jun 9, 2008
Its as if someone realised that those words are used to insult the individual and not the gender.
(I really dont think that they are being misogynistic just like a lot of times men arent too, they are just insulting someone because they want to hurt that person, not because an entire gender is defined by them as "a slut".)

FavouriteDream

Feb 1, 2013
What's wrong with "slut shaming"? Is it purely because men don't get "slut shamed", so it is therefore unfair to call out women on it?

J Tyran

Dec 15, 2011
Saint Ganondorf said:
J Tyran said:
Saint Ganondorf said:
J Tyran said:
Saint Ganondorf said:
Oh and your comment about Sarkeesian,
Yet when you asked who I might be referring to I mentioned some of the more militant followers of Rebecca Watson[footnote]I.E generally not gaming[/footnote] first, my "comment about Sarkeesian" was directed towards the surrounding kerfuffle rather than than Anita Sarkeesian herself which is an obvious example of all kinds of people making all kinds of claims. I never indirectly tried anything either, let alone trying to do anyone favours.
So what? Why are you jumping on me mentioning your very poor evidence that you told me to look up?

And yeah, you tried something. You just tried pretending that I'd tried to make it about gaming or some shit, when my sole mention of video games was in reference to you mentioning Sarkeesian.
Well if it didn't matter and I am "jumping" on it you went out of your way to specify it, you where the one that started the whole thing about a single off the cuff comment to close a post so stones and glass houses and all that.
Here's your chance to tell me where I went out of my way to specify it. The least you could do is link to the post where I supposedly did that. I imagine that will be hard since my only mention was saying that I doubt that Anita Sarkeesian, a woman talking about video games and shit, was going to say "Misogyny is a purely male thing."
Very well,

Saint Ganondorf said:
Something tells me I'm not going to see some woman taking about video games saying "All misogyny online is purely male".
When I responded with:-

J Tyran said:
never Said it was specific to gaming, you decided I meant that for some reason even though it was clear the article I linked was about social media.
You made accusations about trying to "broadening my position" before taking umbrage about how I tried to point it I wasn't really discussing gaming and trying to make a mountain out of that molehill too with rants like "I'mma calling you out".

Which is the story of your activity in the thread really, jumping on the semantics and specifics of a few phrases and making them out to be much bigger than they are instead of trying to add anything of value.

Vault101

I'm in your mind fuzz
Sep 26, 2010
FavouriteDream said:
What's wrong with "slut shaming"? Is it purely because men don't get "slut shamed", so it is therefore unfair to call out women on it?
its judging someone for their sexual practices..which is quite frankly no ones god damn business unless its harmful

Vault101

I'm in your mind fuzz
Sep 26, 2010
Frankster said:
LOL! That actually does sound like fun, guilty pleasure indeed.
/r/twoxchromozomes was recently made a default subreddit......which obviously resulted in a landslide of this kind of thing

FavouriteDream

Feb 1, 2013
Vault101 said:
FavouriteDream said:
its judging someone for their sexual practices..which is quite frankly no ones god damn business unless its harmful
Someone's sexual practices says a lot about who they are, especially in relation to finding a partner and someone to reproduce with. It's perfectly natural to hold standards towards certain types of sexual behaviour - we have literally evolved to do so.

Frankster

Space Ace
Mar 13, 2009
Vault101 said:
/r/twoxchromozomes was recently made a default subreddit......which obviously resulted in a landslide of this kind of thing
I don't follow reddit so thanks for introducing me to that, there's some hilarious stuff in there (aswell as a lot of threads with hilarious titles that are about less funny things..So my vagina is trying to kill me is about a hysterectomy D:), ex from Weirdest thing a dude didn't know: "When I was a freshmen in college, a (19-year-old) guy asked me and my friend if women are born with vaginas or if they just... open up one day."

Favorited and hopefully will learn a thing or 2 about the other half whilst i'm browsing for lulz, cheers!