Online Study: Women are just as likley to be "misogynistic" as men online

J Tyran

Dec 15, 2011
Came across this article in yesterdays newspaper, apparently a think tank at Sussex university catalogued over 130,000 messages on Twitter that used terms like "slut" and "whore" as well as rape threats and other comments typically associated with sexism and misogyny. Yet these comments where directed by women at other women almost as much as they where from men, if the study was expanded and verified the findings it has some interesting implications for the claims of the "purely male" hatred online".

http://www.independent.co.uk/life-style/gadgets-and-tech/news/exclusive-women-as-likely-as-men-to-tweet-misogynist-abuse-9347606.html

Queen Michael

has read 4,010 manga books
Jun 9, 2009
I hate to say this, but it's not really surprising. It's not like you never hear this kind of talk IRL.

Eamar

Elite Member
Feb 22, 2012
Country
UK
And this is surprising... how? Women can be misogynists. Misogyny doesn't have to come from a man, that's never been part of the definition.

Vegosiux

May 18, 2011
Yeah you have misogynists, misandrists, and all-out misanthropes all over the place. I mean, there's that GIFT thing, but I think that doesn't really cover it all, it's not only anonymity+audience that makes people act like assholes, I think it's also the fact that on the internet not only the audience doesn't see you/know who you are, but also the other way around, and if you can't see your audience you're more likely to show lack of empathy.

shootthebandit

May 20, 2009
Seriously? I thought all women were so delicate and innocent and didnt even know what these words mean. Their farts are like air fresheners and their poos are little gold nuggets

honestly im not surprised and I think women can be just as bad as men in most aspects. Women are probably just as likely to cheat as men too

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
Pfff. THAT'S their method of collecting misogynistic material?

"Whore" is interchangeable with "girl I don't like", and it's used by girls on my Facebook far more than the guys (they tend to stick with "crazy chick"). I can't remember the last time I've seen it used in a sexual context.

Spiridion

Oct 17, 2011
Well, yes. It's basically just a form of internalized oppression. Women can, unfortunately, be quite verbally abusive towards each other for a variety of social reasons. This will often take a more passive-aggressive or behind-the-back form in meatspace; but given the general agreement that the internet tends to make people speak more frankly, it's really not surprising that women would make overtly misogynistic comments online.

J Tyran

Dec 15, 2011
Saint Ganondorf said:
J Tyran said:
"purely male"
Is there someone aside from you who has actually said that? It just looks like you have an axe to grind and no one actually said that.
Some of the followers of the various internet personalties like Rebbecca Watson etc frequently make claims like that yes, so no its not something I am saying. You did see the quotation marks didn't you? I admit it was only paraphrasing though.

LetalisK

May 5, 2010
I'm not surprised. Women can be especially vicious towards other women, ie their particular brand of high school bullying. It's only been recently that research has been going into it because bullying had a very male-centric definition until recently.

J Tyran

Dec 15, 2011
Saint Ganondorf said:
J Tyran said:
Saint Ganondorf said:
J Tyran said:
"purely male"
Is there someone aside from you who has actually said that? It just looks like you have an axe to grind and no one actually said that.
Some of the followers of the various internet personalties like Rebbecca Watson etc frequently make claims like that yes, so no its not something I am saying. You did see the quotation marks didn't you? I admit it was only paraphrasing though.
I saw the quotation marks, but I am doubting it's an accurate quote.
Doubt all you want, it doesn't take long to see that some people do actually claim that but that would take effort wouldn't it? Five minutes review of the Anita Sarkeesian kerfuffle backs it up.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Eamar said:
And this is surprising... how? Women can be misogynists. Misogyny doesn't have to come from a man, that's never been part of the definition.
Shhhhhh....You're not supposed to touch the strawman unless you're knocking it down.

Seriously, though, my first thought as a journalist is to check the primary source. I didn't immediately find this data available and found only this one news site reporting it, so I'm very curious as to the specifics. I'm not saying it's false or that the study doesn't exist, but I do get suspicious when I can't even find a second source, let alone a primary source, in a few clicks.

The flip side of this, really, is what else people expect from the normalisation of such comments?

lacktheknack said:
Pfff. THAT'S their method of collecting misogynistic material?

At least they didn't go on XBL.

J Tyran said:
Doubt all you want, it doesn't take long to see that some people do actually claim that but that would take effort wouldn't it? Five minutes review of the Anita Sarkeesian kerfuffle backs it up.
Then you should have an easy time providing an actual quote if it is so readily backed up.

Uhura

This ain't no hula!
Aug 30, 2012
Yeah, I don't see how this is surprising in any way. Girl hate is a problem.

J Tyran said:
Doubt all you want, it doesn't take long to see that some people do actually claim that but that would take effort wouldn't it?
Oh, the irony.

JimB

Apr 1, 2012
I wonder if the word "misogyny" is being slightly misused here. I think there may be an element of English (the language, not the nation) insults having escalated to the point that they become white noise unless they're offensive on a racial or sexual level. I mean, honestly, would someone calling you, say, a moron or even a mother fucker really register with you? It wouldn't with me. Profanity is too commonplace to be insulting unless it gets really mean.

Saint Ganondorf said:
And you're seriously trying to imply I'm lazy for not trying to back up your wild claim? That's funny.
It's the third time in as many days I've heard that claim made. I really hope it's not part of a movement to make positive assertions be considered true by default such that the burden of either proving or disproving them is not on the speaker but on the audience, but...

DANEgerous

Jan 4, 2012
Yes and this shocks no one that laughed at the wave of pseudo-feminist professional victims that tried to say how hostile the gaming is to women despite the fact most guys welcome women into gaming. Yes people talk trash some are offensive assholes and both sexes do it, in other news man sees dog.

Saetha

Jan 19, 2014
Saint Ganondorf said:
J Tyran said:
"purely male"
Hmm...

https://www.toovia.com/posts/2014/may/06/0.13503.363745279115657226?key=node://0.1985.364056009513893898

Huh...

It's also worth noting that ninth tweet (Which is there despite... not actually coming from Scalzi himself) is blatantly untrue, and I don't terribly appreciate someone speaking for me and all other women like that, especially when making such a serious accusation. But regardless, proof positive that not only has that claim been made, it was supported by hundreds if not thousands of other people who felt the need to report it as though it were news. So... clearly there's quite a lot of someones who believe men do this, and women don't.