OnLive Desktop Brings Windows Applications to the iPad

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
OnLive Desktop Brings Windows Applications to the iPad

The new OnLive Desktop will bring full-featured, remotely hosted Windows applications like Microsoft Word, Excel and PowerPoint to the Apple iPad.

OnLive [http://www.onlive.com/] is best known as a gaming service that uses a combination of powerful remote servers and beefy broadband connections to bring high-end gaming to just about any desktop, laptop or even netbook PC, as well as its own mini-console. But now OnLive is turning its cloud computing prowess to more practical purposes, using the new OnLive Desktop app to bring popular Windows 7 productivity software to the iPad.

The basic OnLive Desktop app is free [with the requisite terms and conditions] and will include two gigabytes of online storage and "as-available access" to cloud-based versions of Microsoft Word, Excel and PowerPoint, as well as several utilities and "touch games," which I presume means games you control by poking at the screen. The software can be gesture controlled and boasts an on-screen Windows keyboard, handwriting recognition and full desktop functionality.

A paid, Pro version of OnLive Desktop is also on the way. For $9.99 per month, users will get 50 gigabytes of cloud storage, priority access to the service, additional software and other features. For businesses, an Enterprise version offering the ability to deliver custom applications and full control over user permissions will also be available.

The iPad is just the first platform planned for OnLive Desktop, which will eventually come to Android tablets, smartphones, PCs, Macs and even televisions via the OnLive MicroConsole, which can be equipped with a Bluetooth keyboard. Users will be able to access the same desktop from any owned device, allowing them to create and edit documents and presentations from any device, anywhere.

U.S. customers can pick up the OnLive Desktop from the App Store beginning January 12, while iPad owners in the U.K. will have to wait for the somewhat-less-specific "soon." More infomation about OnLive Desktop can be found at www.desktop.online.com [http://www.desktop.online.com].

HobbesMkii

Hold Me Closer Tony Danza
Jun 7, 2008
Good for OnLive. Glad to see they're diversifying after the lukewarm reception they got for PC streaming.

I'm curious though, how does this work, exactly? Couldn't Microsoft just have put an Office App out? Why'd they go through a middle-man?

Ferrious

Made From Corpses
Jan 6, 2010
Andy Chalk said:
More infomation about OnLive Desktop can be found at www.desktop.online.com [http://www.desktop.online.com]
Link is wrong, Andy.

Ayjona

Jul 14, 2008
Rather underwhelming, considering online collaboration on documents, spreadsheets and presentations has been available on iPad (and iPhone, and Android platforms) for quite some time through Google Docs ;-)

Good to see OnLive's coverage grow, though. I don't know if it will be the future of gaming, but I am sure hoping this is the case.

Smooth Operator

Oct 5, 2010
HobbesMkii said:
I'm curious though, how does this work, exactly? Couldn't Microsoft just have put an Office App out? Why'd they go through a middle-man?
Well it works like all the other stuff they got, you stream in commands, servers do the work and you get back the pictures.

Yes Microsoft could release their tools for iOS... but they don't intend to, because they don't want you to be using iOS, I'm really not sure OnLive guys told MS the full story when signing license agreements.

HobbesMkii

Hold Me Closer Tony Danza
Jun 7, 2008
Mr.K. said:
HobbesMkii said:
Well it works like all the other stuff they got, you stream in commands, servers do the work and you get back the pictures.

Yes Microsoft could release their tools for iOS... but they don't intend to, because they don't want you to be using iOS, I'm really not sure OnLive guys told MS the full story when signing license agreements.
That doesn't make any sense to me. Microsoft publishes Office programs for Macs. They're not afraid of making a few bucks at the risk of enriching their competitors.