Only 1,000 Sonic Fans Will Get This Nifty 20th Anniversary Statue

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
Only 1,000 Sonic Fans Will Get This Nifty 20th Anniversary Statue

Want to know how to get these cool-looking Sonic the Hedgehog statuettes celebrating the Blue Blur's 20th birthday? Yeah, so do we.

If you're the world's biggest Sonic the Hedgehog fan, then you've probably already seen Sega's Sonic the Hedgehog 20th Anniversary Figurine [http://blogs.sega.com/usa/2011/06/16/sonic-the-hedgehog-20th-anniversary-figurine/] over on the publisher's blog. It's a pretty nifty little statuette that hearkens back to the hedgehog's origins: The current Sonic is standing on a "Green Hill Zone" base, with classic Sonic doing his trademark finger-wag in a nearby monitor.

A particularly cool touch is that there are two different versions of the figurine, since "classic Sonic" looked slightly different in the US versions of the game than he did everywhere else. As far as I can tell, the only differences are that the US Sonic is a bit darker and has a more colorful background, but then again that could just be the lighting.

Here's the catch, though: There are only a thousand of these figures being made, and Sega isn't telling us how you'll be able to get them. All we know is that they won't be sold in stores anywhere - they may be giveaways or part of a random-draw sweepstakes, or prizes in a contest, or anything else that we haven't thought of yet.

Of course, if you're the world's biggest Sonic fan, then you probably won't think much of dropping a couple hundo on one of these babies when they inevitably show up on eBay.

And if you're the world's biggest Sonic fan, then you have my sincere condolences for the past, oh, decade or so.

(Sega [http://blogs.sega.com/usa/2011/06/16/sonic-the-hedgehog-20th-anniversary-figurine/])

Who Dares Wins

Dec 26, 2009
The picture on the monitor looks different in the two versions. That may be it.

Also, ONLY 1000? I can't wait see the price of them in the future. That's a collector's item if I've ever seen one.

PinkiePyro

Sep 26, 2010
Kenjitsuka said:
Sonic still has fans left after the past decade of his games?
I don't believe it! :)
tell that to a friend of mine he is downright obsessed with sonic

BiscuitTrouser

Elite Member
May 19, 2008
What are they going to do with the 900 they have left over?

Capture says it better than i do - KnickKnack

vxicepickxv

Slayer of Bothan Spies
Sep 28, 2008
I'd probably get one, but I'd have to give it up to something useful, like Desert Bus or Child's Play.

airrazor7

Nov 8, 2010
It would be neat to have one but because of the way the series was handled in the past few years I seriously doubt people will be fighting in the streets to get those statues. I'm more interested in the upcoming Sonic game; it looks like it might be pretty good.

DarkRyter

Dec 15, 2008
Maybe it's like, you can have one, if you can find it.

All sonic fans, scourging across the world in search of the One Pie- I mean, Sonic Figurine.

The Diabolical Biz

Jun 25, 2009
believer258 said:
There are a thousand Sonic fans left?
Gah, ninja'd. I was totally gonna make a comment in that vein.

OT: Meh, it's nifty but no way I'd go out of my way to get my hands on one.

Baldry

Feb 11, 2009
I wouldn't actually mind one of those...I doubt I'll ever get one but God I want one.

shrekfan246

Not actually a Japanese pop star
May 26, 2011
Layzor said:
Would be cooler if they made a decent game instead.
Bah, got ninja'd. My post was going to be as follows:
Nifty little item, but it'd be cool if they could focus on making good games instead.

Though I have to admit that Sonic Generations does sound interesting, if they can get the feel of "Classic" Sonic done right.

fenrizz

Feb 7, 2009
Kenjitsuka said:
Sonic still has fans left after the past decade of his games?
I don't believe it! :)
You better believe it!

I grew up with Sonic, as Sega Master System II was my introduction to the world of gaming.
Good times.

I do want one of these, but I'm not willing to pay hundreds of dollars for it.
Better win one.

Jul 22, 2009
WANT D:

I'll send then a picture of me wearing my Sonic hat with my XBLA library in the background showing all the Sonic games while holding the Sonic Underground boxset...

Then they'll HAVE to send me one!

Edit: Also dig out my Sonic poster and old STC's ;D

Damn I'm obsessed...