Only 151?

oppp7

Aug 29, 2009
Why do so many people hate the newer pokemon? It seems like every time I mention the newer ones on a forum everyone says how there were only 151 (or 251) pokemon. Yes, the craze ended mostly in 2000, but as anyone knows the 2nd generation was already out by then. Everyone acts like the newer generations were just money grabs by Nintendo. That argument falls flat when you realize that Nintendo is a company, therefore its purpose is to make money. But it also fails when you think about the games. Do you think that Gold, Silver, or any other post-generation 1 games would have been as good if you used the same pokemon? I played Platinum, and you know which pokemon I hated catching? The originals, because they're so old and stale. The mentality of the games is to satisfy your urge to level (to phrase it better, the reason people like MMOs) and collecting stuff. And what happens when you finish collecting stuff? The best solution is to add more things to collect. Yes, each game doesn't add a huge amount to the last game (although a good bit is still added), but that can be said about just about every generation. So why do you hate all recent pokemon?

El Poncho

Techno Hippy will eat your soul!
May 21, 2009
I love all the recent pokemon, I like seeing new things and what they've came up with.

Froobyx

Mar 22, 2009
Old ones for me. Like not the original 151 as such, but when Tracey was in the episodes.

Since Ruby and Sapphire I think they're kinda losing their imagination a little and just pulling stuff out the bag. Don't hate on me please :(

Jedamethis

Jul 24, 2009
Steel Penguins > Turtles
Flaming Monkeys > lizards
I've forgotten what the new grass is, but it's better than a.......thing

Froobyx said:
Old ones for me. Like not the original 151 as such, but when Tracey was in the episodes.

Since Ruby and Sapphire I think they're kinda losing their imagination a little and just pulling stuff out the bag. Don't hate on me please :(
Too late, sorry (joking)
[sub]have him shot[/sub]

El Poncho

Techno Hippy will eat your soul!
May 21, 2009
Jedamethis said:
Steel Penguins > Turtles
The new grass ones a turtle...

tomtom94

aka "Who?"
May 11, 2009
Jedamethis said:
Steel Penguins > Turtles
A huge tortoise that carries a continent on its back I think.
I suppose it's quite similar to Venusaur...only with trees rather than a sprouting bulb...

The Kangaroo

Feb 24, 2009
I think there's simply too many at this point and they need to scrap all of them and come up with new ones

Robert632

May 11, 2009
i like the more original new Pokemon, but when i see something so stupid and ugly looking like a combee, or a luvdisc, it makes me want to rip a baby in half.

headshotcatcher

Feb 27, 2009
The new pokemon just seem unimaginative to me, animals with a weird name and a weird trait are not pokemon..

Eventhough stuff like Burmy and Abomasnow are cool

TheScarecrow

Jul 27, 2009
headshotcatcher said:
The new pokemon just seem unimaginative to me, animals with a weird name and a weird trait are not pokemon..

Eventhough stuff like Burmy and Abomasnow are cool
Exactly, you don't see people going around Chernobyl trying to capture animals do you?

I like the old ones more I think.

effilctar

Jul 24, 2009
Jedamethis said:
Steel Penguins > Turtles

Froobyx said:

Too late, sorry (joking)
[sub]have him shot[/sub]
The grass one is turtwig, basically it's final evolve form is a mixture between blastoise and venusaur. And all the cool kids chose bulbasaur, dinosaurs rock.

effilctar

Jul 24, 2009
robert632 said:
i like the more original new Pokemon, but when i see something so stupid and ugly looking like a combee, or a luvdisc, it makes me want to rip a baby in half.
I hate infernape and Empoleon for some reason. They just don't seem too hardcore. Torterra rocks because he reminds me of venusaur and blastoise

DeadlyYellow

Jun 18, 2008
Eh, they've been becoming less and less balanced with each generation, not to mention less and less imaginative. I really don't see how they can go past Arceus anyway.

Also, how about a new fire starter that isn't a fighting subtype? There's been fire/flying, Fire, and then two consecutive fire/fighting.

Cavouku

Mar 14, 2008
If they make 7 final pokemon to call it an even 500, I'll live with it.

Each generation has had its odd pokemon. Oh, wait This sums it up (sorry about the subtitles) [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L8vTp-1tynw]

The_Chief

Jun 3, 2008
DeadlyYellow said:
Eh, they've been becoming less and less balanced with each generation, not to mention less and less imaginative. I really don't see how they can go past Arceus anyway.

Also, how about a new fire starter that isn't a fighting subtype? There's been fire/flying, Fire, and then two consecutive fire/fighting.
yea they need a fire/water type...
[sup]yea...i went there[/sup]

asinann

Apr 28, 2008
If you make more than 1 edition of a game, that is the same with about 20 lines of code being different (to make it so you can USE the ones that aren't in your edition, but you have to trade for them through an accessory you had to purchase because they didn't come with the system) then the whole thing is a money grab. One title, one game. Sequels are fine with me, but when the sequels follow the same pattern of 1 game split into 2 with so little different in them that the 1 or 2 pokemon (that can be traded across, so the code is in both games for all the pokemon) it's still a money grab.

And since the games were directed primarily at small children who couldn't understand that and would whine and whine until their parents just bought the damn things Nintendo knew they could do that and get away with it. Many of the people defending pokemon grew up with it so I understand, I do the same when defending bad 80's cartoons. And being a company who's purpose is to make money is no excuse for what they did, if it had been any other type of product (other than a video game) that had everything there to use, but unless you brought another of that item by (a different edition or it wouldn't work) certain parts of it would be unusable. It's like buying a Camaro, but you can't use the power locks that it came installed with unless you bring a Camaro SS edition (that has say the power windows that won't work without your car) to talk to each other. Someone would have been sued to unlock those features. Nintendo charged for what was basically 1 game twice. If they had been in the modern era when they first did that, they would be charging for some certain "special" pokemon that were already in the game, but you had to download a key to unlock them. People would be in an uproar about that too, but since it's pokemon it's ok.

And didn't they make the first one three times? Not sure if the yellow edition was another repeat of the red/blue with pickandchew instead of the ones you chose from.

oppp7

Aug 29, 2009
DeadlyYellow said:

The original game was pretty unbalanced for psychic, from what I've heard. They had no significant weaknesses, several reductions, several super effectives, and an immune.

They balance out some of those legendaries by keeping them out of the Battle Frontier. I only use grass starters, so I don't know much about the fire types.